Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,369 members, 7,819,328 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? (18677 Views)

Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR / If You Were To Live In One City Of The World For The Rest Of Your Life... ??? / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nobody: 2:37am On Dec 18, 2011
Nchara:

Igbos never lived in large cohesive communities like the Yoruba and the North, hence you hardly find any known Igbo town city before the coming of the colonialists. One reason you should learn other people's history in addition to yours. The earliest Igbo settlements are still there as villages. Most, if not all,  SE cities/towns are not more than 100 + years old.

Please don't insult your people's history please don't!!

In my head, what you said about the Igbos paints a picture of savages dwelling in jungles. Samething Europeans said of Native Americans and the excuse used to perpetuate their evils!!,

The point of the matter remains that you are wrong and simply shut down this thread. Mind your own business and leave other to be "undeveloped" even though no one wants to live in your "developed" cities!! Orevoir!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 2:41am On Dec 18, 2011
9jaganja:

Please don't insult your people's history please don't!!

In my head, what you said about the Igbos paints a picture of savages dwelling in jungles. Samething Europeans said of Native Americans and the excuse used to perpetuate their evils!!,

The point of the matter remains that you are wrong and simply shut down this thread. Mind your own business and leave other to be "undeveloped" even though no one wants to live in your "developed" cities!! Orevoir!!!

Why not mention any SE and SS (except Benin) ancient (pre-colonial) city/town that you know of in history instead of the useless rants? Except perhaps in your mind, living in villages does not make one a savage otherwise everyone must have been a savage at some point in history since there were no cities from the start of humanity. And who talked about developed cities here with a tribal connotation? Seems like tribalism, seen and unseen, go kill may pepole here oh!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by GAR3TH(m): 3:29am On Dec 18, 2011
Excluding Abuja, almost every Nigerian "cities" [village, towns IMO] has been around before independence. The only thing that has change over the years are the states and LGAs that "border" them. Just like east central state which was broken up into 5 states or Rivers which was broken up into 2 states. Those divisions caused the one-city states you see today, that are economical inviable.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 3:51am On Dec 18, 2011
GAR3TH:

The only thing that has change over the years are the states and LGAs that "border" them. Just like east central state which was broken up into 5 states or Rivers which was broken up into 2 states. Those divisions caused the one-city states you see today, that are economical inviable.

Very true.
But for state creation Owerri, Aba and Umuahia would have been in one state. Same for Calabar, Uyo and Ikot Ekpene and other states.

Yet, states like Rivers will still have only PH, for Yenagoa is still nowhere near a city status even by Nigerian standard.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 4:09am On Dec 18, 2011
I disagree about your classification, Ogbomosho deserves to be ranked higher than what you give it.

Also it happens in the US too.

How many Cities do you know in Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, South Dakota, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Connecticut, Maine, Rhodes island, Delaware, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Vermont etc?
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 4:24am On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

I disagree about your classification, Ogbomosho deserves to be ranked higher than what you give it.

Also it happens in the US too.

How many Cities do you know in Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, South Dakota, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Connecticut, Maine, Rhodes island, Delaware, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Vermont etc?

How does Ogbomosho rank against Ibadan?
The only way Ogbomosho will be ranked as a city is on the basis of population. It falls flat on other considerations

Even the most outlandish US states namely the Dakotas and Wyoming  have by far more than one city by american standard. They are of course not popular like LA, SF Houston and all that.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by efisher(m): 4:51am On Dec 18, 2011
1. Those in d rural areas tend to migrate to the few urban centres rather than develop their own places to become cities.

2. Most states were created around single cities. Some states in the 80's could boast of 2 or 3 cities but now they've been split.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 4:54am On Dec 18, 2011
Population is a major point when categorizing cities

Ogbomoso doesnt rank side by side with Ibadan but it is beyond a town going by Nigerian standard

What are the names of the 2nd cities in those States I listed and what criteria makes them cities?

In Idaho for instance only Boise has a population over 100k, Same with North Dakota, Arkansas, Rhodes Island,  Missisipi, South Dakota etc

In States like Wyoming, Delaware Maine etc,  NO single city above 100k and only 1 or 2 above 50k. In Oyo State at least we have 10 towns with over 100k ppl.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 4:58am On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

Population is a major point when categorizing cities

Ogbomoso doesnt rank side by side with Ibadan but it is beyond a town going by Nigerian standard

What are the names of the 2nd cities in those States I listed and what criteria makes them cities?

In Idaho for instance only Boise has a population over 100k, Same with North Dakota, Arkansas, Rhodes Island,  Missisipi, South Dakota etc

In States like Wyoming, Delaware Maine etc,  NO single city above 100k and only 1 or 2 above 50k. In Oyo State at least we have 10 towns with over 100k ppl.

Pop is just only one of many factors. What other indices classify Ogbomosho as a city other than its population? To begin with can you mention one industry in Ogbomosho? What is the overall state of devpt?
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Kobojunkie: 4:59am On Dec 18, 2011
Wilmington , Newark and Dover, all in  Delaware are categorized as cities in the State. I know there are at least 3 cities in Delaware.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 5:02am On Dec 18, 2011
Wyoming cities and their pop as per wiki. Now you can see that pop alone does not make a city. Otherwise all Nigerian towns will be cities.

City of Cheyenne

Laramie County

City of Casper

Natrona County

City of Laramie

Albany County

City of Gillette

Campbell County

City of Rock Springs

Sweetwater County

City of Sheridan

Sheridan County

City of Green River

Sweetwater County

City of Evanston

Uinta County

City of Riverton

Fremont County

Town of Jackson

Teton County

City of Cody

Park County

City of Rawlins

Carbon County

City of Lander

Fremont County

City of Douglas

Converse County

City of Powell

Park County

City of Torrington

Goshen County

City of Worland

Washakie County

City of Buffalo

Johnson County

Town of Newcastle

Weston County

Town of Wheatland

Platte County

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 5:12am On Dec 18, 2011
[size=18pt]What are the things that make a city?[/size]

That is the most important question.

And those States I mentioned tell me 5 cities in them and what economic/Industrial activities goes on in them

Kobojunkie:

Wilmington , Newark and Dover, all in  Delaware are categorized as cities in the State. I know there are at least 3 cities in Delaware.

Per Wikipedia, Newark has a Population of 35,000 , Dover 40,000

I mean a city of 30,000 people is just like 2 Bus stops in Ikorodu ( I know you lived in Ikorodu and you would be familiar with it)
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 6:05am On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

[size=18pt]What are the things that make a city?[/size]

That is the most important question.

And those States I mentioned tell me 5 cities in them and what economic/Industrial activities goes on in them

Per Wikipedia, Newark has a Population of 35,000 , Dover 40,000

I mean a city of 30,000 people is just like 2 Bus stops in Ikorodu ( I know you lived in Ikorodu and you would be familiar with it)

In Nigeria, the criteria will easily be:

Population
Significant administrative presence (state capitals)
Significant Industrial base
Significant business/commercial base
[s]Land mass (a warped criterion but typical of Nigeria)[/s]
Overall relative development (buildings and types of thereof, hospitals, roads, transport system, living standards, etc).

At least two or three of these should play out, IMO

Most towns in Nigeria have populations of 100+, so that cancels out.
University presence will not make a city, otherwise places like Umudike, Otta, Ago Iwoye, Ekpoma, Nsukka etc will also be cities.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 6:08am On Dec 18, 2011
But funny enough every town of some name recognition in Nigeria is described as a city
Even Afikpo, Ijebu Ode, etc are referred to as cities. I guess anything goes in Nigeria
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 6:21am On Dec 18, 2011
Nchara:

In Nigeria, the criteria will easily be:

Population
Significant administrative presence (state capitals)
Significant Industrial base
Significant business/commercial base
[s]Land mass (a warped criterion but typical of Nigeria)[/s]
Overall relative development (buildings and types of thereof, hospitals, roads, transport system, living standards, etc).

At least two or three of these should play out, IMO

Most towns in Nigeria have populations of 100+, so that cancels out.
University presence will not make a city, otherwise places like Umudike, Otta, Ago Iwoye, Ekpoma, Nsukka etc will also be cities.

Which two of those criteria do those "Cities" you listed in Wyoming meet?
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 6:37am On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

Which two of those criteria do those "Cities" you listed in Wyoming meet?

This is about Nigeria, though

But those cities will meet at least:

1. Overall relative development (buildings and types of thereof, hospitals, roads, transport system, living standards, etc).
2. Significant industrial/commercial/service base in sync with their population strength. The mining and ecotourism industries in Laramie WY (for e.g.) will cover a significant swathe of the population.

The whole of WY, ND, SD is full of large, medium or small scale mining industries including crude oil in some of them. With those come banks and hotels.

I agree some US cities are too small in pop to be true cities

But the thread says one-city states in Nigeria. All US states have more than one full-fledged city by any standard.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Afam4eva(m): 7:04am On Dec 18, 2011
Nice thread I must say.

I think one of the reasons why we have one-city states in Nigeria is due to the fact that every town and municipality is not allowed to develop at it's own pace. All the state government in Nigeria except Abia, Anambra, Delta Lagos, and probably Ogun target state capitals for development thereby leaving other towns to their fate.

I think we should imbibe the US model where every thing that looks like a town has a mayor.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 7:14am On Dec 18, 2011
afam4eva:

Nice thread I must say.

I think one of the reasons why we have one-city states in Nigeria is due to the fact that every town and municipality is not allowed to develop at it's own pace. All the state government in Nigeria except Abia, Anambra, Delta Lagos, and probably Ogun target state capitals for development thereby leaving other towns to their fate.

I think we should imbibe the US model where every thing that looks like a town has a mayor.

I dont think its the state govt effort that developed the cities like Aba - Market that has been in existence for about 100yrs

Onitsha - Same thing plus river port

Warri - Oil Company presence which predates the creation of Delta State

Agbara - Was an Industrial city similar to Ilupeju, Ota and this plan predates the creation of Ogun State
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 7:20am On Dec 18, 2011
Nchara:

This is about Nigeria, though

But those cities will meet at least:

1. Overall relative development (buildings and types of thereof, hospitals, roads, transport system, living standards, etc).
2. Significant industrial/commercial/service base in sync with their population strength. The mining and ecotourism industries in Laramie WY (for e.g.) will cover a significant swathe of the population.

The whole of WY, ND, SD is full of large, medium or small scale mining industries including crude oil in some of them. With those come banks and hotels.

I agree some US cities are too small in pop to be true cities

But the thread says one-city states in Nigeria. All US states have more than one full-fledged city by any standard.

What relative development do you expect from a "city" of 20,000 people? Thats the population of 2 bus stops in Lagos.

If those small scale companies are what qualifies them for City status then Ewekoro, Nkalagu, Igbeti too should be classified as cities

These 3 names have populations more than 50k, Have mining industry related activities going on there

I dont think its fair and reasonable to compere Africa to any part of US in terms of Infrastructures.

Take Ibadan or Kano to the US and they would fail woefully in infrastructures,

Timbuktu was definitely an African City but doesn't have the infrastructures other Western Cities had at that point in time

Same with Kumasi, Oyo, Benin which were centers of African civilisation
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by olawalebabs(m): 8:28am On Dec 18, 2011
Kwara State can boost of Ilorin, Offa and Omua Aran
Ondo State have Akure,Ondo city, Owo and Ikare
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by TRUTHTELA: 8:31am On Dec 18, 2011
Because the foundation of the Nigerian state was poorly laid, hence, nothing works.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by toyeoye(m): 8:50am On Dec 18, 2011
whoever calls IBADAN a CITY must be delussional.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by phantom(m): 8:51am On Dec 18, 2011
You all must remember that in the case of rivers, 'portharcourt' as you know is composed of about 3 cities.the original PH is one third of its size today so in effect most people in PH live in 'greater PH', i know people who live in borokiri( old PH town) that have not visited rumuokoro(obio akpor) in 5years, that aside, bonny  is a thriving city on its own,Secondly, the surrounding rivers and lakes have restricted development to the upland,
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Afam4eva(m): 8:57am On Dec 18, 2011
@phantom
When people are talking about PH, what they mean is what PH is now and not what it used to be. Almost every city is made up of different towns just like in the case of porthacourt.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by cardoso111(m): 9:19am On Dec 18, 2011
That is an index of development.Our governors focus all our resources on the state capital,neglecting development/upgrading of small towns (thru infrastructure provision)and in that process encourage migration to state capitals
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by horlabiyi(m): 9:22am On Dec 18, 2011
I really love this topic. Ties is on city in Osun state. Osogbo is just a town. Its only Ilorin in Kwara state. Poor nigeria
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by kokoA(m): 9:25am On Dec 18, 2011
Some are even 'no city' states e.g tarabar, bayelsa, gombe, ebonyi, etc undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by phantom(m): 9:26am On Dec 18, 2011
Afam, Are you saying that if development was to bridge together warri, asaba and ughelli, you would still refer to delta as a one city state?
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by scholes0(m): 9:41am On Dec 18, 2011
[QUOTE]Some are even 'no city' states e.g tarabar, bayelsa, gombe, ebonyi, etc [/QUOTE]

Add, Gombe, Kebbi, Nassarawa, Jigawa,Zamfara and Yobe.

smh
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by scholes0(m): 9:50am On Dec 18, 2011
STRONG/TIER1 NIGERIAN CITIES.

LAGOS
IBADAN
PORT HARCOURT
KADUNA
KANO
ENUGU
ILORIN
BENIN
WARRI
ABEOKUTA
CALABAR

category 2/Tier 2 Nigerian cities {Could become more important in Future}

OWERRI
UYO
MAKURDI
JOS
AKURE
ADO-EKITI
MINNA
OTTA
SHAGAMU
OSHOGBO
ABA
ONITCHA
MAIDUGURI

Category/Tier 3 {Manage to squeeze into City status}
ZARIA
KATSINA
ASABA
IKORODU
OGBOMOSHO
SOKOTO

In total Number of Mid sized towns to cities However, the South West has By far, the highest amount of towns over 100.000 In Nigeria
Edit, Fix, make better, but yeah, that is the general Idea.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 18, 2011
what is the difference between a city and a town?
I think some of the cities in nigeria are -- benin city,aba,portharcort,onitsha,lagos--city state,ibadan [city or town?],all state capitals except jalingo,gombe,ado ekiti,abakilike,afikpo,zamfara,kebbi,asaba,umuahia,akure,oshogbo,i think the only cities in northwest are kano,kaduna,zaria? .
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by scholes0(m): 9:59am On Dec 18, 2011
^^ Romove Ado Ekiti, from that list, doesent belong in that catz.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buhari Can’t Win Election With Cabals Surrounding Him – Gov Sule Lamido / Yakubu Gowon Visits Ambode (Photos) / Alleged Certificate Forgery, Perjury: Kaduna Forum Wants Shehu Sani Suspended

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.