Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? (18678 Views)

Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR / If You Were To Live In One City Of The World For The Rest Of Your Life... ??? / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Maximip(m): 10:03am On Dec 18, 2011
Yeah! Rivers State is embarrassing. With all the money they get. Even PH is a mess.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by sheyguy: 10:05am On Dec 18, 2011
The topic seems true when u examine states in Nigeria. There r few exeption though.
Oyo state:
Ogbomoso, Ibadan, Oyo.

Delta state:
Warri, Asaba,Sapele
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by scholes0(m): 10:07am On Dec 18, 2011
And  who are those calling Ibadan a Town?? :lol:
On the McKinsey Global city Index, Only Lagos, Ibadan and Abuja are Ranked in Nigeria.
In the Entire West African region, only these three cities Above, and Accra, are ranked {4 in total}

And in Sub saharan Africa, only these 4 cities, Nairobi, Johannesburg, Cape Town, East London and Durban are ranked
Ibadan had a GDP of $7 Billion, and per capita income of $4,000{Higher than the Nigerian average} in 2007, this is expected to grow to 20 Billion in 2025, {More than Triple}.

#How can anyone in their right senses, call that a town??  embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by member479760: 10:11am On Dec 18, 2011
This is to show that we are suffering of lack of population to occupy other town, lets continue to make more babies to get more cities.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by scholes0(m): 10:13am On Dec 18, 2011
[QUOTE]Yeah! Rivers State is embarrassing. With all the money they get. Even PH is a mess.
[/QUOTE]

Nope, not a Mess, All these so called ''rich states'' that gat nothing to show for it, is because, their wealth, are not derived from Labour intensive means, No manufacturing, No trade, Nothing, Just pump oil, and get your dividend, Shikena, that is why urban centres are few in Rivers, Save PH.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Pharoh: 10:14am On Dec 18, 2011
Nice Topic
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dubem3(m): 10:21am On Dec 18, 2011
what happened to Nnewi in Anambra state?
eh, oga poster?
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by phantom(m): 10:25am On Dec 18, 2011
@scholes , then how would you explain the emergence of urban centres in delta going by your 'no labour just oil' theory?
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by scholes0(m): 10:27am On Dec 18, 2011
What urban centres in Delta??
Warri.Sapele---- Oil facilities {Pump stations, refineries, Etc}
Asaba-State Capital

All the rest are Towns.{Ugheli and co}
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by marcus1234: 10:36am On Dec 18, 2011
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by phantom(m): 10:42am On Dec 18, 2011
Well, you do have a point but the way nonoil businesses are settling in PH now is crazy and probably explains why development in rivers is from PH outwards in a haphazard way instead of the more planned model of different towns developing SEPARATELY into cities and then merging like in the case of lagos.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 18, 2011
Lagos is a state. If u consider most if it "a city' doesn't that mean it has many cities.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by itsme2(m): 11:40am On Dec 18, 2011
scholes0:

And who are those calling Ibadan a Town?? :lol:
On the McKinsey Global city Index, Only Lagos, Ibadan and Abuja are Ranked in Nigeria.
In the Entire West African region, only these three cities Above, and Accra, are ranked {4 in total}

And in Sub saharan Africa, only these 4 cities, Nairobi, Johannesburg, Cape Town, East London and Durban are ranked
Ibadan had a GDP of $7 Billion, and per capita income of $4,000{Higher than the Nigerian average} in 2007, this is expected to grow to 20 Billion in 2025, {More than Triple}.

#How can anyone in their right senses, call that a town?? embarassed embarassed
yu knw, i was wondering too, anyone who questns the City of Ibadan's status must b on cheap crack!
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Abagworo(m): 11:43am On Dec 18, 2011
While the definition of a city is such a complex issue, individuals seem to have their own understanding of what a city should look like. Some places considered as cities could have less population than others considered towns. Based on my own understanding, Nigeria seems to be developing into a three city State viz Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja.

There are dozens of urban centers with population ranging from 100,000 to over 3million. Kano, "Kaduna" and Ibadan have over 2million people. Benin,Aba,Onitsha, Ogbomosho,Zaria,Jos and Maiduguri all have in excess of 1million people. In all Nigeria has about 13 urban centres with population of more than 1million. I put Kaduna on quote because it seems to be Nigeria's 4th city alongside Calabar and Enugu but they lack that city feel even though they come directly behind Lagos, Abuja and PH.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 18, 2011
I don't think income levels and gdp makes a town a city. Lol. I heart ibadan. Crime n all. Hehehe.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Wadosky(m): 12:35pm On Dec 18, 2011
Enugu state has only one city because past and present governments has failed to spread developement to other areas such as udi,agbani,nike.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by 2sd(m): 2:18pm On Dec 18, 2011
Guys check this out and stop arguing based on your individual experiences and exposures.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&key=0AsNUaGBnBF1KdFpfNEVNNDYtSzBhRk1HT2tuRDlMUFE&hl=en_US&gid=2
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Reference(m): 3:10pm On Dec 18, 2011
I thought city status was a demographic rather than political thing and as such large population centres such you can have mexico city which is an urban sprawl but perhaps Brazilia the national capital will not.

Nigeria is peculiar in the sense government has (through the colonisation period) and still controls a huge chunk of our GDP thus its political outposts, national, state and local government gravitate huge popultion numbers like the planets round the sun.

A country with large apolitical demographics is the US. There you had settlers establishing outposts, enterprises and activities long before governments were formed. LasVegas readily comes to mind and infact the same can be said of most of the western seaboard.

Closer to home Onitsha is a good example of an apolitical city and an intriguing case study to test the government/private sector influences on demographics. Just across the river you have Asaba a political creation. It will be interesting to see who will win the tug of war to pull the massive population and establish or confirm city status. I doubt if both can simultaneously attain city status due to their proximity but it is an interesting battle and which I hope Onitsha wins.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by karfe(m): 3:16pm On Dec 18, 2011
scholes0:

STRONG/TIER1 NIGERIAN CITIES.

LAGOS
IBADAN
PORT HARCOURT
KADUNA
KANO
ENUGU
ILORIN
BENIN
WARRI
ABEOKUTA
CALABAR
+ABUJA, JOS, ONITSHA, ABA

category 2/Tier 2 Nigerian cities {Could become more important in Future}

OWERRI
UYO
MAKURDI
JOS
AKURE
ADO-EKITI
MINNA
OTTA
SHAGAMU
OSHOGBO
ABA
ONITCHA
MAIDUGURI

Category/Tier 3 {Manage to squeeze into City status}
ZARIA
KATSINA
ASABA
IKORODU
OGBOMOSHO
SOKOTO

In total Number of Mid sized towns to cities However, the South West has By far, the highest amount of towns over 100.000 In Nigeria
Edit, Fix, make better, but yeah, that is the general Idea.

Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Reference(m): 3:39pm On Dec 18, 2011
Abagworo:

While the definition of a city is such a complex issue, individuals seem to have their own understanding of what a city should look like. Some places considered as cities could have less population than others considered towns. Based on my own understanding, Nigeria seems to be developing into a three city State viz Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja.

There are dozens of urban centers with population ranging from 100,000 to over 3million. Kano, "Kaduna" and Ibadan have over 2million people. Benin,Aba,Onitsha, Ogbomosho,Zaria,Jos and Maiduguri all have in excess of 1million people. In all Nigeria has about 13 urban centres with population of more than 1million. I put Kaduna on quote because it seems to be Nigeria's 4th city alongside Calabar and Enugu but they lack that city feel even though they come directly behind Lagos, Abuja and PH.

Yes I think so, the informal definition can be quite fluid based not on one but a clutch of variables. I think everyone agrees a large population is in.

Let us debate one of several other criteria I think suffices. Can we consider ethnic spread in awarding city status thus typically., London, Lagos, Abuja, Newyork, Portharcourt are prime candidates while Kano, Ibadan and Onitsha are less so because though they have large populations, are less cosmopolitan thus have less potential for future growth because quite frankly people will only gravitate to places they feel comfortable working and living. I can't see large hordes of Igbo's rushing to Ibadan or Yoruba's to Kano or Hausas to Onitsha.

Can we debate this.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 3:54pm On Dec 18, 2011
Ethnic Spread would not be a valid criteria else you tell us that Shanghai isnt a City?

It isnt a crime for a City to be homogeneous
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Reference(m): 4:01pm On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

Ethnic Spread would not be a valid criteria else you tell us that Shanghai isnt a City?

It isnt a crime for a City to be homogeneous

Shanghai is cosmopolitan. Anyone can live there without reservations.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by austin2002: 4:09pm On Dec 18, 2011
9jaganja, Your name sound like Pigs. I don't know what part  of donkey village u come from.Oh forget!! you are from nigeria.Well you could do yourself a  good did by not bleeping with Biafra orderwise the spirits of dead Biafrans will befall on your entire family and you will never see progress in your family.And same with any of you who dare to open their smelly mouths and talk about Biafra in an ugly way.The Biafrans are Jewish descendants as such God of Abraham,Isaac and Moses will bring curses  to any of you who dare talk about Biafra in unworthy way.Why is that muslims stinks? The stench coming out of their bodies make me wonder if we are seeing bush animals in form of humans.That is why western communities say that AIDS is from Africa.The muslims odors can literally give one HIV which leads to AIDS.Please muslims take shower and buy some deodorants even though these two Items won't wipe your demonic odors.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 18, 2011
Cities in sub-Saharan Africa were first defined by the colonists. In Nigeria, Ibadan, Kano and Benin were the first and only cities as defined by these  European colonial/explorers. Definitions were arrived at by using a medieval scale since the Europeans believed the Africans were centuries behind the rest of the world. So, to them an African city must first have one or all of this attributes to be classified as a city:

1. Significant population
2. Considerable Trade and commercial activity drawing other merchants from far and wide
3. Possess a city gate or walled (Kano) , moat (Benin)
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by dayokanu(m): 4:19pm On Dec 18, 2011
austin2002:

9jaganja, Your name sound like Pigs. I don't know what part  of donkey village u come from.Oh forget!! you are from nigeria.Well you could do yourself a  good did by not bleeping with Biafra orderwise the spirits of dead Biafrans will befall on your entire family and you will never see progress in your family.And same with any of you who dare to open their smelly mouths and talk about Biafra in an ugly way.The Biafrans are Jewish descendants as such God of Abraham,Isaac and Moses will bring curses  to any of you who dare talk about Biafra in unworthy way.Why is that muslims stinks? The stench coming out  of their bodies make me wonder if we are seeing bush animals in form of humans.That is why western communities say that AIDS is from Africa.The muslims odors can literally give one HIV which leads to AIDS.Please muslims take shower and buy some deodorants even though these two Items won't wipe your demonic odors.

Spirit of dead Biafrans that Ojuku killed?

Abeg make we hear word jare, those spirit would be torturing Ojuku now
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by stpat1(m): 4:37pm On Dec 18, 2011
I can confidently tell u dat Edo is a 3 city state. Benin, Ekpoma and Auchi. Last time I checked Auchi and Ekpoma are more economically busier than some state capitals like Ado-ekiti, yenagoa, oshogbo, abakaliki, damaturu, jalingo, etc. If u av been to these places then u'll agree with me.
My findings are based on economic activities, banks, schools, hotels, good roads, stable electricity, human population, transportation etc.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Princek12(m): 4:56pm On Dec 18, 2011
nakedall:

This is to show that we are suffering of lack of population to occupy other town, lets continue to make more babies to get more cities.

I hope you are joking. It means that our population are not evenly distributed over our land mass. Too many citizens are disproportionately aggregated in cities, leaving our remote towns underpopulated.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 5:01pm On Dec 18, 2011
Who ever says Ibadan is not a city?
I am not convinced about Ogbomosho though. It simply does not have the indices save for its large population.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Orikinla(m): 5:01pm On Dec 18, 2011
It caused by underdevelopment and having id-iots as political rulers since 1960 to date.
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 5:06pm On Dec 18, 2011
stpat1:

I can confidently tell u dat Edo is a 3 city state. Benin, Ekpoma and Auchi. Last time I checked Auchi and Ekpoma are more economically busier than some state capitals like Ado-ekiti, yenagoa, oshogbo, abakaliki, damaturu, jalingo, etc. If u av been to these places then u'll agree with me.
My findings are based on economic activities, banks, schools, hotels, good roads, stable electricity, human population, transportation etc.

Who else believes that Ekpoma and Auchi can be classified as a cities even by Nigerian standard? I don't believe that on bit.

The Nigerian standard would automatically confer city status to all state capitals. So those state capitals you listed above would be cities
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by ak47mann(m): 5:07pm On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

Spirit of dead Biafrans that Ojuku killed?

Abeg make we hear word jare, those spirit would be torturing Ojuku now
look if you don't respect yourself i will make sure i put u in your place,i no by now everybody in Nigeria can see most land that sucked innocent blood on genocide,  are the ones being tortured by now by unknown, both the living and the dead.
I know you hate it when we talk about awolowo the mass murderer,you don't see  your own war crimes, is anything ojukwu u will jump out like orangutan, talking trash from your mouth.

Hausa are smarter than you people they are the one that fought the war but they don't talk about it and they will get more votes in SS/SE than you people cos you don't respect others you think you are too relevant silly Yoruba monkey.
I am waiting for that Yoruba newspapers  that will say anything against ikemba and watch their down fall, your propaganda is not helping u people politically cool
Re: Why Are Nigerian States Mostly One-city States? by Nchara: 5:10pm On Dec 18, 2011
What relative development do you expect from a "city" of 20,000 people? Thats the population of 2 bus stops in Lagos.

If those small scale companies are what qualifies them for City status then Ewekoro, Nkalagu, Igbeti too should be classified as cities

These 3 names have populations more than 50k, Have mining industry related activities going on there

I dont think its fair and reasonable to compere Africa to any part of US in terms of Infrastructures.

Take Ibadan or Kano to the US and they would fail woefully in infrastructures,

Timbuktu was definitely an African City but doesn't have the infrastructures other Western Cities had at that point in time

Same with Kumasi, Oyo, Benin which were centers of African civilisation

DK,

Aren't you the one bringing US cities into the equation? By Nigerian standard, Ewekoro, Nkalagu, Igbeti cannot be cities. Let's restrict this to Nigeria. Now what are your own criteria for being a city? Let's look at them in the context of Nigeria. I listed mine previously.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan and Corruption - Femi Orebe / Ganduje To Introduce BRT Busses In Kano / Reps Reject ₦187bn Expenditure On FG School Feeding Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.