Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,471 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis (1449 Views)

Fayose Paying Compensation Before Demolishing Illegal Structures (picture) / Picture Of Gov Okorocha Demanding The Release Of Voters Held Illegally / Police Shoot Sales-Girl Dead In Abuja While Demolishing Illegal Structures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by vascey(m): 2:33pm On Dec 20, 2011
As I type this, the military is currently demolishing civilian's houses at Peace estate at Iyana Iba. The exercise started as the military aimed to demolishing houses encroaching on their perimeter (30 meters from the barack walls). However, this has turned to a show a brute force as the military has now gone much farther than their area (more than 100 meters) and into the settlement of helpless civilians without any provocation. I have no pictures yet but I tell you this because I have verified the information 100%. Please anyone that has links to the army or their superior commanders should please help inform them of the excesses of their personnel. Let them stop please. Kindly help spread the message.
Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by VoodooDoll(m): 3:34pm On Dec 20, 2011
Iyana-Iba (outskirts of Lagos?) Publish pictures.
Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by vascey(m): 12:48pm On Dec 21, 2011
Here

Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by vascey(m): 12:49pm On Dec 21, 2011
Another

Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by vascey(m): 12:51pm On Dec 21, 2011
Please anyone that knows any government official (LG or FG) should please help as these are houses of innocent people that are being demolished.

Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by vascey(m): 12:53pm On Dec 21, 2011
The demolishion is currently going at this moment- 12.55pm wednesday 21 Dec 2011.
Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by Ufeolorun(m): 1:11pm On Dec 21, 2011
Are you sure there is  no encroachment
Cos this look really serious.
Nigerian soldiers are at their best when it comes to degrading all that service stands for.
They have  very little regard for their profession.
Fiddlesticks!
The Nigerian legal system isn't that bad in fact they have been  quite buoyant of recent, especially in Lagos, so keep calm and prepare for a class action.
Pele.
Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by Kx: 1:16pm On Dec 21, 2011
Is it the Peace Estate at Iba Housing, in Iyana Oba Vogts bus stop- Okoko road?
Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 21, 2011
This looks like shanties to me.btw,do they have valid documents and prolly C of O ?
Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by vascey(m): 9:43pm On Dec 21, 2011
A court action has been instituted but the army responded by saying they would first finish the demolishion before going to court and that is exactly what they are doing. However I do not have the details of the filing at the court.
The buildings that were demolished are not shanties neither were they built on any drainages. If infact this were the case, there are appropriate civil authorities who have been charged with the reponsibility of correcting such mishaps. The estate is one of many along the Iyana Iba- Egbeda express, all approved by the Lagos state government. The army barack near Volts has a boundry but that boundry has been exceeded by the army. The Lagos state government also has a boundry, clearly marked, which is being demolished by the army going by the current demolishion. What is happening is just a clear example of the army's lawlessness- they care about no one and answer to one expect theis commanders. Who is going to protect the common man please?

As to whether everyone has a C of O, I cannot answer that (especially as I do not live there) but I can tell you that the process of getting a C of O is one that takes a long time especially when you buy the land from the traditional owners of the land as is the case in many parts of Nigeria.

Many of the people who stay there, whose houses have been demolished have been living in that estate for a long time. I hope someone can stop the military from illegally destroying people's homes. Know any one in the Lagos state government who can help please send their contact to obidavid37 at rockemail.com.

I am an ardent lover of the word of Martin Niemöller (1892) which I have quoted below: 
First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews,and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Re: Army Illegally Demolishing Civilian Houses In Iyana Oba Axis by Ufeolorun(m): 10:36pm On Dec 21, 2011
^^
You could get  some helpful links/numbers if you use google or ask around.

I don't know what we are doing with a huge army anyway.
Guys who should be shipped out of the barracks and made to clear all the water ways and canals in Lagos. Lol!

Issue like this one is homepage worthy with a bit of modification to reflect the uncertainty of this story.

(1) (Reply)

Nbc Dg, Yomi Bolarinwa, Denies Censoring Media Houses Frm Reporting Fuel Subsidy / Must Read: Hypocrites In Action (ACN Governors Are The Worst In Nigeria) / Patience Jonathan Sets For Foundation Laying On Land Revoked From Turai Yar’dua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.