Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,799 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? (28399 Views)

Pls How Much Are Graduates Paid At NSCDC ( Civil Defense) / Types Of People Who Never Succeed At Work / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 22, 2011
pls i needed your helps, my kid bro was offered AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS AND EXTENSION in a federal university in Nigeria, whereas his choice was Med. Lab. Sci. He's planing towards taking up the course.
So, my question is,
1) if he takes up the course, what route will he take to succeed(as a profession)?
2) shld he just forgone the course and take another J.A.M.B?
Pls i need to advice him and i have no idea abt Agric. Econs. So, pls i need ur HELPS
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by tanimola22: 4:57pm On Dec 22, 2011
He is just starting out; he has a clean slate. Therefore, I can say what I am about to say now.

Let him accept the agric econs offer and strive to get a first class or, at worst, a 2.1. While studying the course, he should take ICAN or ACCA or CFA or CPA exam and then see if he will not be as competitive as those who studied accounting, economics, finance and co.

By the way, I know an analyst who studied the same agric econs and did the CFA exam. He is now with one of the top financial houses in Nigeria.

Your brother is not making a mistake, unless he hates the course itself.

This is my opinion.

T22.

1 Like

Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 22, 2011
^ ^ tanx alot mahn! Am grateful.
I'm stil looking forward 4 more advice
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by chamber2(m): 6:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
T22 has offered a good advise. It also depends on the interest of your bros. He might end up falling in love with the course and decide to take it up to the Ph.D level.

Another area might be to go the I.T way. He could learn programming, networking etc and get certified before concluding his programme.

Also, at entry level what you studied in most cases don't matter. Let him take the course and watch how far it goes in the next two yrs and then decide what is good for himself.
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 23, 2011
^^ tanx alot mhan
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by AjanleKoko: 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2011
Hold up a second here.
From Medical Lab Science to Agric Econs?
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 23, 2011
^ ^YEAH!
From Med. Lab. Sci. To Agric. Econs.
Nigeria uni for u
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by AjanleKoko: 10:00pm On Dec 23, 2011
Henry46:

^ ^YEAH!
From Med. Lab. Sci. To Agric. Econs.
Nigeria uni for u

Yeah, I know the feeling.
All the more reason why I'd say let him just try for Med Lab Sci again, even if it means staying back another year. He could consider something closer to the medical sciences, than just diving into Agric. Leave all that story about first class in Agric plus ICAN.
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by tanimola22: 3:23am On Dec 24, 2011
If he must wait for another year to rewrite JAMB, then I think he is better off going for Pharmacology or Physiotherapy or Dentistry or even Medicine. Remember, these professions are well above Science Lab Tech in the Medical field. I stand to be corrected sha.

Is the federal school in Eastern Nigeria? I have a friend who got in for Medicine and Surgery at UNN through Biochemistry. He was offered Biochem in year 1 when his mark fell below the cut off for Medicine. He made a nice GPA in year 1 and so was able to change departments in year 2 . Your brother can employ this strategy too. But I doubt this would work, considering that both courses are like north and south.

By the way, if you ask him to resit JAMB, what is the guarantee that he will be offered a place in his next try? A bird in hand----- complete the rest.

Another question, how smart is your brother? Do you think he can get higher scores if he decided to resit JAMB? If the federal uni is in your state, why not ask him to gain a one-year experience and then resit JAMB if necessary? A doctor friend did this a couple of years ago. He was offered Medicine at Abu-Zaria, but he wanted to study Medicine at Unilag (Luth). So he went to Abu-Zaria, did a year there, gained solid experience and took JAMB again. He made great scores and was admitted into Unilag's Medical School.

All these are strategies that can be employed.

I hope I can think about more and post.

gatta sleep.

T22.
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 24, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Yeah, I know the feeling.
All the more reason why I'd say let him just try for Med Lab Sci again, even if it means staying back another year. He could consider something closer to the medical sciences, than just diving into Agric. Leave all that story about first class in Agric plus ICAN.

actually, it worked for a lot of people back in the day - make your 2.1 in anything and get into one of those big four accounting/auditing/consulting firms.
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by tanimola22: 10:36am On Dec 24, 2011
^^^^^

Does this mean that the strategy is currently not working as it used to? A response to this question should help the OP make an informed decision.

By the way, Agric-Econs is not just anything per say. There is econs in it, which makes it an allied course and as marketable as many other courses.

Meanwhile, your answer to the above question, and the OP's answers to the questions posed in my previous post, should throw a new light into this brainstorming session.

I still know many Microbiology, Zoology, Botany, Yoruba, Igbo and so on graduates doing very well in the consulting, accounting and banking worlds. These graduates did almost zero quantitative courses,yet they work for organizations that require quantitative/analytic skills, at least at the minimum even if na just to add, subtract, multiply, divide then write reports and claim say they are hardworking professionals cheesy grin. The branch manager of the Zenith Bank in the area where I lived studied Yoruba. This sounds like a corroboration to your earlier submission.

T22

1 Like

Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by chamber2(m): 11:50am On Dec 24, 2011
^^^

It applies till tomorrow. The emphasis has shifted from what you studied to the grade you graduated with, at least at entry level. There is nothing wrong with Agric Economics and i see no edge a graduate of Med.Lab has over a grad of Agric Econs. In most unis (mine included) Agric Econs is a 5 yr course, same as in Med.Lab.So, what's the point gambling with the opportunity he already have?

I have two people, one studied Agric Engineering and the other Agric Econs. Both are doing very fine now. Just as T22 pointed out, how sure are we he would be offered Med.Lab should he retake Jamb taking into consideration that about 1.2million Nigerian youth write Jamb yearly and only about 20-30 % gain admission.

If i am to suggest, just as i did before, i would advise he goes for Agric Econs. Agric Econs uses economic principles and theories in the mgt of crop production, crop yields and livestock mgt. That means that someone who studied Agric Econs can confidently stand on his own after school, especially in the face of current unemployment. In fact, my friend made a lot of money while still in school rearing pigs and fishes. He became friends and business partners to most of the big pepper soup joints in town selling fishes. So, your bros will always be safe whether in the co operate world or as an entrepreneur.

Also, Agric Econs is just applied Economics. He will still take take some Econs and Business courses in addition to other science courses. In my third yr Agric Econs, Statistics and computer sc students all took our Introductory Econometrics courses. Even though most of them didnt quite grab most of the concepts but the overall idea will be retained.

So, let your bros grab this opportunity. His future is not by any means ruined.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 24, 2011
there are alot more 2'1s out there than when i came out, so having a 2'1 in a course is no longer a guarantee to making it to the test

also, recruitment policies of companies change everyday -

today, a 2'1 may be all thats required - tomorrow they may decide that it must be in a specific range of disciplines and so on and so forth.

the truth of the matter is that the maret is constantly shifting, and yesterdays truism is todays old fable.

most of us - our folks generation swear by working for the govt , but our generation will not go near govt work with a ten foot pole. just an example
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by chamber2(m): 1:21pm On Dec 24, 2011
When we went for NYSC while most of us were busy running around doing the normal NYSC stuff and hoping to be employed by money bag companies thereafter, my friend who studied Agric Econs went to a village in Ibadan and leased a few acres of land, mobilised some local labourers and  planted cassava and maize on it. By the time we finished NYSC he sold everything and made close to N1m. This was a business he invested not more than 100k. He went back to PH and started transportation business with the money he realised and today he is a self made man.

The point is, he is not at any disadvantage studying Agric Econs. After all, most Med.Lab grads end up doing routine jobs in private hospitals; running lab test etc. To keep his options open and still remain relevant in the ever dynamic job market most of us here suggested he takes certification courses in any area he considers necessary; Accounting, IT etc

2 Likes

Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by tanimola22: 1:49pm On Dec 24, 2011
chamber2:

When we went for NYSC while most of us were busy running around doing the normal NYSC stuff and hoping to be employed by money bag companies thereafter, my friend who studied Agric Econs went to a village in Ibadan and leased a few acres of land, mobilised some local labourers and  planted cassava and maize on it. By the time we finished NYSC he sold everything and made close to N1m. This was a business he invested not more than 100k. He went back to PH and started transportation business with the money he realised and today he is a self made man.

The point is, he is not at any disadvantage studying Agric Econs. After all, most Med.Lab grads end up doing routine jobs in private hospitals; running lab test etc. To keep his options open and still remain relevant in the ever dynamic job market most of us here suggested he takes certification courses in any area he considers necessary; Accounting, IT etc
ns

Wow, too much wisdom and business acumen from a supposedly ‘only employment seeking and disadvantaged graduate’. I wish I were this smart. Instead, I spent my entire time drinking away my NYSC salary, which was huge considering that I was an oyel company employed corper teacher, and pursuing------ hahahahah.

Anyway, we all learn daily.

@OP, you dey hear gist?
T22
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by tanimola22: 2:03pm On Dec 24, 2011
oyb:

there are alot more 2'1s out there than when i came out, so having a 2'1 in a course is no longer a guarantee to making it to the test

also, recruitment policies of companies change everyday -

today, a 2'1 may be all thats required - tomorrow they may decide that it must be in a specific range of disciplines and so on and so forth.

the truth of the matter is that the maret is constantly shifting, and yesterdays truism is todays old fable.

most of us - our folks generation swear by working for the govt , but our generation will not go near govt work with a ten foot pole. just an example

@Oyb
I guess you work for one of those naija’s investment banks. What I am about to ask is off topic, but I would appreciate if you could still provide an answer.

One yeye lucky chick like that got to the final stage of RenCap’s graduate recruitment programme earlier this year, but she refused to attend this stage because she had earlier accepted an offer from Shell. She is currently on the usual Shell entry level graduate salary.

She has since been asking me to help her find out how much RenCap pays its entry level graduates. According to her, this information would help her know or quantify what she is missing, so to speak. You see why I called her yeye--hahah

Could you educate me on RenCap’s entry level ego?

Thanks,

T22
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by chamber2(m): 2:23pm On Dec 24, 2011
Oyb, i guess, works with an oyel company too grin
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 24, 2011
tanimola22:

@Oyb
I guess you work for one of those naija’s investment banks. What I am about to ask is off topic, but I would appreciate if you could still provide an answer.

One yeye lucky chick like that got to the final stage of RenCap’s graduate recruitment programme earlier this year, but she refused to attend this stage because she had earlier accepted an offer from Shell. She is currently on the usual Shell entry level graduate salary.

She has since been asking me to help her find out how much RenCap pays its entry level graduates. According to her, this information would help her know or quantify what she is missing, so to speak. You see why I called her yeye--hahah

Could you educate me on RenCap’s entry level ego?

Thanks,

T22

sorry, i work in an oil company

but i seriously doubt if any naija company can match mnc oil company salary

if its money your pal is looking for - shell

however, if she wants a career (i'm assuming she read finance accounting or one of those) then she should look more closely at rencap

note however, that it appears (let them correct me if i'm wrong) that the glory days of naija investment banking vanished with ibtcs merger and hurricane sanusi

some five years ago, ibtc was the place to be sad
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by tanimola22: 4:16pm On Dec 24, 2011
oyb:

sorry, i work in an oil company

but i seriously doubt if any naija company can match mnc oil company salary

if its money your pal is looking for - shell

however, if she wants a career (i'm assuming she read finance accounting or one of those) then she should look more closely at rencap

note however, that it appears (let them correct me if i'm wrong) that the glory days of naija investment banking vanished with ibtcs merger and hurricane sanusi

some five years ago, ibtc was the place to be sad

Thanks.

Neither of accounting, finance and co. She read pure and applied math/physics.
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 24, 2011
THANKS ALOT GUYS!
I've been highly enriched with all the advices and ideas you all have drop here, i bet i can boldly advice him now,
@T22, i think the dude is good enough to make higher score if he takes another JAMB but he's not willing to do that, after all his aggregate score was good enough to earn him med. Lab. Sci, as for the name of the university he was offered admission into, it's UNIBEN.
Tanx once more y'all
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by tanimola22: 5:02pm On Dec 24, 2011
You know, this retaking JAMB thingy can be very tiring, even for the best of students.

Besides the latest appalling development in its Medicine and Surgery, Uniben is still a very competitive school. Let him go for it.

He reminds me of early 2000 when I was in his shoes. I wish him all the very best.

T22
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by sladimeji(m): 11:32am On Oct 05, 2014
Guys the course dey interesting dats wat am studying in Futminna
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by SamsonJohn743(m): 9:13pm On Nov 04, 2015
chamber2:
^^^

It applies till tomorrow. The emphasis has shifted from what you studied to the grade you graduated with, at least at entry level. There is nothing wrong with Agric Economics and i see no edge a graduate of Med.Lab has over a grad of Agric Econs. In most unis (mine included) Agric Econs is a 5 yr course, same as in Med.Lab.So, what's the point gambling with the opportunity he already have?

I have two people, one studied Agric Engineering and the other Agric Econs. Both are doing very fine now. Just as T22 pointed out, how sure are we he would be offered Med.Lab should he retake Jamb taking into consideration that about 1.2million Nigerian youth write Jamb yearly and only about 20-30 % gain admission.

If i am to suggest, just as i did before, i would advise he goes for Agric Econs. Agric Econs uses economic principles and theories in the mgt of crop production, crop yields and livestock mgt. That means that someone who studied Agric Econs can confidently stand on his own after school, especially in the face of current unemployment. In fact, my friend made a lot of money while still in school rearing pigs and fishes. He became friends and business partners to most of the big pepper soup joints in town selling fishes. So, your bros will always be safe whether in the co operate world or as an entrepreneur.

Also, Agric Econs is just applied Economics. He will still take take some Econs and Business courses in addition to other science courses. In my third yr Agric Econs, Statistics and computer sc students all took our Introductory Econometrics courses. Even though most of them didnt quite grab most of the concepts but the overall idea will be retained.

So, let your bros grab this opportunity. His future is not by any means ruined.
bro what about educational management? Any advice abt d course
Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by Nigeriaismine: 11:08pm On Dec 23, 2015
I have been offered admission in ESUT to study Agricultural Economics / Extension today, I'm so happy to gain admission even though I applied for Electronic/Electrical Engineering, thanks to whoever created this thread and to those who gave some piece of advice.

3 Likes

Re: Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? by udumajosephchim: 7:35pm On Mar 21, 2022
Agricultural economic is good but one thing is that you should know he dream course.
In this country is you don't have anybody to speak for you, you better read at least a professional course.
So my advice is let him start first maybe by next year he will still write another jamb.
I read that same course at EBSU.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Experience As A 3rd Class Graduate / The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria / Unpaid Daar Communication Workers Halt Operations(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.