Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,117 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (55176 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed / Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Blackteeth(m): 9:34am On Jul 16, 2012
Many people think that finishing with a 2-2 or 3rd class places them in a disadvantaged position and trims their chances of getting a job easily cos many employers don't give these category of graduates the opportunity to prove themselves.
I would like those who had a 2-2 or 3rd class and are presently successful to tell us how they emerged successful despite the disadvantage, so to encourage those who have lost hope cos of the poor result they had.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by candylips(m): 3:39pm On Jul 16, 2012
go do a masters

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Skywalker5(m): 4:16pm On Jul 16, 2012
had third class. did masters and professional cert and now i am now working in IT

The chances are slim in Nigeria where they based everything on degree where in developed countries, they will test you and find out what you can do for their organization.

8 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by funbamby(m): 4:39pm On Jul 16, 2012
Frankly speaking, you re only limited if you limit urself.
Dont get discouraged cos even my IT Supervisor who earns well above 250k per month is a 2-2 graduate.
I myself,I am a similar product.I didnt finish with 2-2 becos am not good but because I didnt
get my priorties rightwhile I was in school you might also be in dat category mind U ur confidence
and your knowledge matters.

Bottom Line: GO & Develop your skills and do some professional certs
masters is deffinately not what you need now.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 16, 2012
My uncle did not let me work with him as a design engineer but rather let me work with a contractor as a trainee engineer. I angrily left the place after 8mths and he got another place where I presently work as a graduate electrical engineer.
I finished with a 2.2 by the way and I have spent 10mths in the present company.I got my first job offer last month which I rejected.
Think my uncle has given me the launching pad to excel so I advise one has to fraternize or be good to one's relatives and people in general.

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 6:36pm On Jul 16, 2012
I graduated in 2005 with a 3rd class in a field a lot θf people consider professional but as far as I was and am still concerned, its a boooooring field! Having realized that, I quickly started the interesting process θf self discovery, armed with this knowledge, I went to a private organization to volunteer,that was before NYSC, during my service year alone, I had three job offers! Back then, I humorously say to my friends who were crazy about the masters degree that with all their certification, I would be offered a job before they would be considered if we all went for the same interview.

Truth is every employer I have ever come across find it hard to accept that I had a 3rd class and that is because θf my overall presentation, intelligent manner in which I engage their minds, the excessive passion I exude and the subtle but hard to miss its-your-loss-if-I-am-not-a-part-of-your-team aura I naturally exude.

In summary, I would say, if you have the opportunity to bag another degree and certification, go ahead! But you have got to be able to back it up else its just a waste θf time, effort and money!!!

63 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 6:40pm On Jul 16, 2012
Forgot to add (how could I) loads θf Gods favor, always gives me that edge.

20 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by candylips(m): 7:26pm On Jul 16, 2012
spicy v: I graduated in 2005 with a 3rd class in a field a lot θf people consider professional but as far as I was and am still concerned, its a boooooring field! Having realized that, I quickly started the interesting process θf self discovery, armed with this knowledge, I went to a private organization to volunteer,that was before NYSC, during my service year alone, I had three job offers! Back then, I humorously say to my friends who were crazy about the masters degree that with all their certification, I would be offered a job before they would be considered if we all went for the same interview.

Truth is every employer I have ever come across find it hard to accept that I had a 3rd class and that is because θf my overall presentation, intelligent manner in which I engage their minds, the excessive passion I exude and the subtle but hard to miss its-your-loss-if-I-am-not-a-part-of-your-team aura I naturally exude.

In summary, I would say, if you have the opportunity to bag another degree and certification, go ahead! But you have got to be able to back it up else its just a waste θf time, effort and money!!!

maddam wat worked for u might not work for someone else

3rd class is just not a good class of degree at all. a msc will at least cover face small

8 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 8:48pm On Jul 16, 2012
candylips:

maddam wat worked for u might not work for someone else

3rd class is just not a good class of degree at all. a msc will at least cover face small

What worked for me may not work for someone else, really? Now let me reveal one fact to you, I have heard top HR consultants say the reason they raise the bar that high (demanding those so called great grades) is because they know the ridiculous number θf unemployed youths seeking employment and such requirement (2:1) does a great job θf reducing the number! Imagine that!

Another fact you need to know is that business owners are looking for people with solutions and if you are that candidate, the job is yours! You should also bear in mind that those preferred degree may get you the job but it is only your wit that will keep you in the job or make you indispensable! These are tested principles and they will work for anyone! While I am not encouraging young people to be nonchalant with their academics, I insist that if you do not have the onus to defend you Masters degree, you can't have the job! ( Not taking into cognizance the corrupt paractices in Naija o)

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by yommy2sure(m): 4:54pm On Jul 19, 2012
spicy v: I graduated in 2005 with a 3rd class in a field a lot θf people consider professional but as far as I was and am still concerned, its a boooooring field! Having realized that, I quickly started the interesting process θf self discovery, armed with this knowledge, I went to a private organization to volunteer,that was before NYSC, during my service year alone, I had three job offers! Back then, I humorously say to my friends who were crazy about the masters degree that with all their certification, I would be offered a job before they would be considered if we all went for the same interview.

well thank God for you, but please what were the places u applied to that called you for interview...the last time i checked most firms dont even give 3rd folks a chance to proove themselves...or did u hav to volunteer in all those places before u were considered for interview...ur post is brilliant and im finding it hard to believe u made a 3rd class...im curious.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 8:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
@ Yommy2sure: lol. Nope I did not volunteer with more than one organization, I simply volunteered with an organization within the industry I wanted to build a career in, for the sake θf experience. Secondly, I made sure my resume did not reflect my grade, it merely reflected "Bachelors degree in Bleep". Besides, the presentation θf the resume was so appealing, you would want to meet its owner after which you'd be so enchanted by my presence that upon discovering my grade, you couldn't care less. Lol.

My intention is not to sound cocky o, I owe my success largely to the grace θf God and I thank Him for His favor.

Ps: thanks for the compliment, Ʊr far too gracious.

21 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by yommy2sure(m): 9:01pm On Jul 19, 2012
^ ^ ^You are a rare exception I must say....all the best and greater achievements!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 9:08pm On Jul 19, 2012
Awwww, thanks.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by candylips(m): 9:15am On Jul 20, 2012
spicy but you know some companies will specifically ask for your grade so leaving it out will not work in all occasions
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by AjanleKoko: 9:45am On Jul 20, 2012
The 2-2 people, like me, are the ones that Msc might work for. The vast majority of students in Nigeria made a 2-2, so it's not so bad.
3rd class is a different story entirely. Even a masters degree would not easily get you into places that ordinarily ask for 2-1. Some companies like KPMG even request specific O 'Level standards, can you imagine!

I usually recommend that people who made a third class should consider moving towards a career field that doesn't require too much academic story. Best bet is to move towards skills acquisition. A close family member of mine made a third class in engineering, and he was lucky to get a job in outdoor advertising, working on designing billboards and other types of outdoor signage. At least that way he got to practice engineering in a reasonably lucrative field, and he doesn't have to worry about what class of degree he made. He also doesn't have to waste his time and money doing a masters he's not the least bit interested in.

It could be fashion, even entertainment, ultimately. It doesn't really matter. I feel that most people who do poorly in school are probably not really suited for more academic work, so why pile up more misery in useless certificates? It may be an opportunity for them to discover their true talents. That's the way I see it.

I would not be quick to advice a 3rd class graduate of petroleum engineering to immediately rush into some PGD/msc combo in the same petroleum engineering. Graduates with 2:1 plus Msc in that discipline are still searching for job. But if you are convinced that your path lies therein, by all means go for it. But expect no favours though.

23 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 1:33pm On Jul 20, 2012
Uncle Ajanlekoko: "most people who do poorly in school aren't suited for academic work"? Sir, that's not a fact o. Are you aware that a lot θf factors other than being non academically sound is responsible for undergraduates students graduating with such grade? My O'levels for instance was cleared in one sitting with enviable grades! And I know θf many graduates too, whose O'level certs are great yet graduated with a 3rd class. Please understand that the grade you graduate with especially graduates from the late 90s downward is not a true test θf your academic knowledge!

That's another topic for another thread sir.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 1:40pm On Jul 20, 2012
@ Candylips: you are right about that. Focus then on companies that don't care. Lol. Thank God for most international orgs. They pay real good and don't place too much emphasis on university grades.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by AjanleKoko: 1:55pm On Jul 20, 2012
spicy v: Uncle Ajanlekoko: "most people who do poorly in school aren't suited for academic work"? Sir, that's not a fact o. Are you aware that a lot θf factors other than being non academically sound is responsible for undergraduates students graduating with such grade? My O'levels for instance was cleared in one sitting with enviable grades! And I know θf many graduates too, whose O'level certs are great yet graduated with a 3rd class. Please understand that the grade you graduate with especially graduates from the late 90s downward is not a true test θf your academic knowledge!

That's another topic for another thread sir.

No, let's deal with it on this thread.
Why do you think you made a third class? Be courageous enough to outline it for us.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 2:16pm On Jul 20, 2012
Uncle Aja: its not why I think, I know why I graduated with that grade and choosing not to talk about it on this thread is not a lack θf courage sir! It is simply irrelevant information that I choose to divulge at my leisure! Hope you understand sir.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by AjanleKoko: 2:22pm On Jul 20, 2012
spicy v: Uncle Aja: its not why I think, I know why I graduated with that grade and choosing not to talk about it on this thread is not a lack θf courage sir! It is simply irrelevant information that I choose to divulge at my leisure! Hope you understand sir.

That's all right.
Not that it matters anyway. Important thing is, you have been able to move past it. But my advice is for people who haven't been able to do that, or don't know how to. Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 2:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
Oh okay sir! Moving on, you are one θf the veeeery few people I look up to on NL, I really would love to be like you when I grow up sir.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by RedReact: 9:50pm On Jul 20, 2012
@Ajanlekoko,
U said you graduated with 2-2. If I am right, I will say I am finding it difficult to believe because you have always presented yourself very superbly. I noticed it in one thread for physics graduates and I was appalled.
Kudos to you!
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 10:02pm On Jul 20, 2012
RedReact: @Ajanlekoko,
U said you graduated with 2-2. If I am right, I will say I am finding it difficult to believe because you have always presented yourself very superbly. I noticed it in one thread for physics graduates and I was appalled.
Kudos to you!

My point exactly! Your grade from the University isn't exactly a true reflection θf your knowledge capacity and shouldn't be used as a yardstick for measuring same!!!

Ironically, I saw another thread where uncle Aja mentioned a 3rd class graduate friend θf his who went on to obtain a Phd! Hmm, how's that for "academically sound"? Its all a thing θf the mind jare, if you put your heart to it, you will get whatever you desire!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by RedReact: 6:36am On Jul 21, 2012
^^^
The emphasis in the present day Nigeria is on grades and I would not lay any blame because the market is over-saturated, as many people are chasing few available things. That is why it's expected of people with low class grades to work on themselves and be confident in themselves.
Failure is good because it motivates us to bring out our best.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by SimplySEA(m): 11:15am On Jul 22, 2012
Ha...... Wat a relief! Wisdom atlast in NL. Where hav people been? Nice to meet u all!
@ miss spicy. I must say dis. Yr use of English is jus too clean 4a third class grad. It Speaks volumes for other non academic factors dat affect student's performance in our academic system! I kno many 2.1 grads wit very poor use of English, both in writin as well as speakin.
@mr Ajans, u're truly an inspiration!

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by AjanleKoko: 8:11am On Jul 23, 2012
Here's to putting a lighter spin on things, relating to this 3rd class matter. Not original though, I found this on Google+:

Interviewer : Tell me about yourself.
Candidate: I ...am Rameshwar Kulkarni. I did my Tele Communication engineering from BabanRao Dhole-Patil Inst it ute of Technology.

Interviewer : BabanRao Dhole-Patil Inst it ute of Technology? I had never heard of this college before!
Candidate : Great! Even I had not heard of it before getting an admission into it ..
What happened is – due to cricket world cup I scored badly! in 12th.I was getting a paid seat in a good college. But my father said (I prefer to call him ‘baap’) – “I can not invest so much of money”.(The baap actually said – “I will never waste so much of money on you”). So I had to join this college. Frankly speaking this name – BabanRao Dhole-Patil, can at the most be related to a Shetakari Mahavidyalaya

Interviewer: ok, ok. It seems you have taken 6 years to complete your engineering.
Candidate : Actually I tried my best to finish it in 4 years. But you know, these cricket matches and football world cup, and tennis tournaments. It is difficult to concentrate. So I flunked in 2nd and 3rd year. So in all I took 4 + 2 = 7 years.

Interviewer: But 4+2 is 6.
Candidate: Oh, is it ? You know I always had KT in maths. But I will try to keep this in mind. 4+2 is 6, good, thanks. These cricket matches really affect exams a lot.. I think they should ban it .

Interviewer : Good to know that you want cricket matches to be banned.
Candidate : No, no… I am talking about Exams!!

Interviewer: Ok, What is your biggest achievement in life?
Candidate : Obviously, completing my Engineering. My mom never thought I would complete it . In fact, when I flunked in 3rd year, she was looking for a job for me in BEST (Bus
corporation in Maharashtra ) through some relative.

Interviewer : Do you have any plans of higher study?
Candidate: he he he.. Are you kidding? Completing ‘lower’ education it self was so much of pain!!

Interviewer : Let’s talk about technical stuff. On which platforms have you worked?
Candidate : Well, I work at SEEPZ, so you can say Andheri is my current platforms. Earlier I was at Vashi center. So Vashi was my platform then. As you can see I have experience of different platforms! (Vashi and Andheri are the places in Mumbai)

Interviewer : And which languages have you used?
Candidate : Marathi, Hindi, English. By the way, I can keep quiet in German, French, Russian and many other languages.

Interviewer: Why VC is better than VB?
Candidate : It is a common sense – C comes after B. So VC is a higher version than VB. I heard very soon they are coming up w it h a new language VD!

Interviewer: Do you know anything about Assembly Language?
Candidate: Well, I have not heard of it . But I guess, this is the language our ministers and MPs use in assembly.

Interviewer : What is your general project experience?
Candidate : My general experience about projects is – most of the times they are in pipeline!

Interviewer: Can you tell me about your current job?
Candidate: Sure, Currently I am working for Bata Info Tech ltd. Since joining BIL, I am on Bench. Before joining BIL, I used to think that Bench was another software like Windows.

Interviewer : Do you have any project management experience?
Candidate: No, but I guess it shouldn’t be difficult. I know Word and Excel. I can talk a lot. I know how to dial for International phone call and use speaker facility. And very important – I know few words like – ‘Showstoppers ‘ , ‘hot fixes’, ‘SEI-CMM’, ‘quality’, ‘version control’, ‘deadlines’ , ‘Customer Satisfaction’ etc. Also I can blame others for my mistakes!

Interviewer: What are your expectations from our company?
Candidate : Not much.
1. I should at least get 40,000 in hand..
2. I would like to work on a live EJB project. But it should not have deadlines. I personally feel that pressure affects natural talent.
3. I believe in flex-timings.
4. Dress Code is against basic freedom, so I would like to wear t-shirt and jeans.
5. We must have sat-sun off. I will suggest Wednesday off also, so as to avoid breakdown due to overwork.
6. I would like to go abroad 3 times a year on short term preferably 1-2 months) assignments. Personally I prefer US, Australia and Europe. But considering the fact that there are Olympics coming up in China in the current year, I don’t mind going there in that period. As you can see I am modest and don’t have many expectations. So can I assume my selection?

Interviewer : he he he ha ha ha. Thanks for your interest in our
organization. In fact I was never entertained so much before. Welcome to INFOSYS.

The fellow was appointed in a newly created section ‘Stress Management’ in the HRD of Infosys.

So academic excellence isn't the only thing needed to succeed in life. Its the unique quality of a person which leads to success. Work on your own field,as opposed to following somebody else's path.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by spicyv1(f): 11:30am On Jul 23, 2012
@ simplySEA: I perceive a compliment in your post, thanks. @ Uncle Aja: ROMJL, on his expectations from the company, I believe Acidtalk will second him on expectation number four! Lol! But is this for real? Not in a company managed by Nigerians,the candidate will be bundled out θf the interview by security!!!

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by AjanleKoko: 11:44am On Jul 23, 2012
spicy v: @ simplySEA: I perceive a compliment in your post, thanks. @ Uncle Aja: ROMJL, on his expectations from the company, I believe Acidtalk will second him on expectation number four! Lol! But is this for real? Not in a company managed by Nigerians,the candidate will be bundled out θf the interview by security!!!

My source claims this actually happened, and was recorded by Infosys. The interview supposedly happened in Mumbai, India, in 2008.
I still stick to my disclaimer sha grin

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by tanimola22: 2:17pm On Jul 23, 2012
AjanleKoko: The 2-2 people, like me, are the ones that Msc might work for. The vast majority of students in Nigeria made a 2-2, so it's not so bad.
3rd class is a different story entirely. Even a masters degree would not easily get you into places that ordinarily ask for 2-1. Some companies like KPMG even request specific O 'Level standards, can you imagine!

I usually recommend that people who made a third class should consider moving towards a career field that doesn't require too much academic story. Best bet is to move towards skills acquisition. A close family member of mine made a third class in engineering, and he was lucky to get a job in outdoor advertising, working on designing billboards and other types of outdoor signage. At least that way he got to practice engineering in a reasonably lucrative field, and he doesn't have to worry about what class of degree he made. He also doesn't have to waste his time and money doing a masters he's not the least bit interested in.

It could be fashion, even entertainment, ultimately. It doesn't really matter. I feel that most people who do poorly in school are probably not really suited for more academic work, so why pile up more misery in useless certificates? It may be an opportunity for them to discover their true talents. That's the way I see it.

I would not be quick to advice a 3rd class graduate of petroleum engineering to immediately rush into some PGD/msc combo in the same petroleum engineering. Graduates with 2:1 plus Msc in that discipline are still searching for job. But if you are convinced that your path lies therein, by all means go for it. But expect no favours though.

Those ones are just asking for too much. People work for them because of the current sorry nature of the world's employment market. If things were right, I suspect many people who meet their criteria would never want to work for them. They remunerate people crappily, yet they want the most achieved young people to work for them. I find that appallingly selfish.

Last year I met an Aberdeen based naija guy who came to London for holidays. This guy used to be a staff of KPMG Naija. During our conversation, I noticed that he had less good things to say about KPMG Naija other than 'you meet lots of important people and you get trained a lot on the job'. The guy even remarked that he was on less than 700 pounds/ per month while working for KPMG Naija.

Anyway, I don't blame all these companies. I blame the over-saturated job market. Imagine people with premium degrees working for unstructured companies and earning less than 100K in naija! For such people, anything above 120K would naturally look promising.

God help us.

T22

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Skywalker5(m): 4:11pm On Jul 23, 2012
tanimola22:

Those ones are just asking for too much. People work for them because of the current sorry nature of the world's employment market. If things were right, I suspect many people who meet their criteria would never want to work for them. They remunerate people crappily, yet they want the most achieved young people to work for them. I find that appallingly selfish.

Last year I met an Aberdeen based naija guy who came to London for holidays. This guy used to be a staff of KPMG Naija. During our conversation, I noticed that he had less good things to say about KPMG Naija other than 'you meet lots of important people and you get trained a lot on the job'. The guy even remarked that he was on less than 700 pounds/ per month while working for KPMG Naija.

Anyway, I don't blame all these companies. I blame the over-saturated job market. Imagine people with premium degrees working for unstructured companies and earning less than 100K in naija! For such people, anything above 120K would naturally look promising.

God help us.

T22

Really ? KMPG Naija? Men thats bad oo
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by tanimola22: 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2012
Sky-walker:

Really ? KMPG Naija? Men thats bad oo

Exactly how people always find it very difficult to believe.

Nonetheless, I guess their employees who have spent above 5 years and are chartered accounts can earn above 1000 Pounds. Even all these Oando, RenCap and co pay way more than KPMG Naija.

T22

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Two Little Boys Plastering A Fence At Aduwawa, Benin, Edo State / Obinna Ebirim, Doctor Works As Kitchen Assistant In UK To Make Extra Money / Little Boy Working As A Mason At A Building Site (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.