Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,862 members, 7,824,589 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

What To Pay A Driver? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What To Pay A Driver? (1599 Views)

A Concubine Should Not Be Made To Pay For The Sins Of A Cheating Spouse!!! / Should Men Be Forced To Pay For Kids They Didn't Want? / His Ex Tricked Him To Pay Her Bride-Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Pay A Driver? by charity00: 8:02pm On Dec 22, 2011
Advise please

A person needs a driver between the hours of close of business 5:00pm Friday and Sunday evening 7:00pm. Not the ENTIRE time, but DURING that time frame.

The person is willing to pay 30,000 Naira for a driver during that 50 hours block. What is a realistic expectation, as in fair market value, as to the total number of hours (during that 50 hour block) to expect the driver to be available?

Is Friday night, Saturday morning (5-7 hours off in the afternoon) Saturday evening, then Sunday day (5-6 hours) fair for that amount of money?
(What if a driver says realistically, they can't do anything during the off hours, because their home is too far to travel to? Is that a legitimate complaint?)

Under those circumstances is Friday evening too much to ask (as there will be no legitimate way to get home for Saturday morning before having to resume?)

WHAT'S FAIR??

Thank you
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by ifyalways(f): 8:40pm On Dec 22, 2011
30K per month or week for tge whole Friday, Saturday and Sunday biz ?which city are we talking of too? Is the car yours or the driver is coming with his vehicle?
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2011
charity00:

Advise please

A person needs a driver between the hours of close of business 5:00pm Friday and Sunday evening 7:00pm. Not the ENTIRE time, but DURING that time frame.

The person is willing to pay 30,000 Naira for a driver during that 50 hours block. What is a realistic expectation, as in fair market value, as to the total number of hours (during that 50 hour block) to expect the driver to be available?

Is Friday night, Saturday morning (5-7 hours off in the afternoon) Saturday evening, then Sunday day (5-6 hours) fair for that amount of money?
(What if a driver says realistically, they can't do anything during the off hours, because their home is too far to travel to? Is that a legitimate complaint?)

Under those circumstances is Friday evening too much to ask (as there will be no legitimate way to get home for Saturday morning before having to resume?)

WHAT'S FAIR??

Thank you
Pay him atleast 50K, feed him,probably let him live with you and always tip him else you risk being kidnapped by your driver.
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by charity00: 10:32pm On Dec 22, 2011
Insert Quote
30K per month or week for tge whole Friday, Saturday and Sunday biz ?which city are we talking of too? Is the car yours or the driver is coming with his vehicle?

City of Lagos, car is mine.
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 22, 2011
@Charity00, if you don't mind you call me let's negotiate.07060776103. Seriously.
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Outstrip(f): 2:48am On Dec 23, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Pay him atleast 50K, feed him,probably let him live with you and always tip him else you risk being kidnapped by your driver.

Hia. What sort of thing is this. I am not even sure why people leave their homes in Nigeria
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 23, 2011
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 23, 2011
Lol family members as drivers ke? Lol let them use your car enter third mainland bridge. You wan degrade them?

My advise is use someone you don't really know but trust worthy, someone people can vouch for. 

Re salary, I have no idea, never had a driver in Nig
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by charity00: 12:15pm On Dec 23, 2011
I would say that something in the region of N10k to 12k plus all his meals (good food o!) & somewhere to kip for the night is reasonable and if you are happy with his attitude etc then you can give him an extra N2k when he is leaving as transport money to get back home.
(

Thank you. It isn't the money that's the issue. It's what is fair as per the number of hours during that time-block. The driver, for example, claiming that time off between the hours of 1:00pm and 9:00pm on Saturday isn't really "time-off" because traffic is such that they can't travel back home during that time, so therefore, the driver should close at 5:00, or be paid extra (on top of 30K) for the evening.

But who wants to stay home Saturday evening? undecided

And it's not the employer's fault the driver lives too far away to go back home during the Saturday afternoon "time off" is it?
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 24, 2011
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by maclatunji: 6:42pm On Dec 24, 2011
I want to assume that OP is a decent and respectable person. You can find an aburo who can do with extra pay and a place to rest his head. Just make sure you clarify the details with him, his parents or guardians. Don't let him live in your living quarters O. Give me the boys quarters- make it comfortable or let him come from his home.

Feed him well and give him N15,000 per month. You can tip him as you see fit,
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Bawss1(m): 10:49pm On Dec 24, 2011
Aburo? I have seen this word used twice already on this thread, can someone kindly tell me what it means. Thanks
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Dec 24, 2011
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by doctokwus: 5:18am On Dec 25, 2011
See how they alredy want to shortchange d unknown driver.D poster is willing to pay N30k& 2 people ar suggesting N15k max!Frm d op's point,I tink he sees his price as ok considerin a lot,but d 2posters feel he wud d doing d driver one hell of a favor bc a family member,who they consider a better option wud most probably b jobless!Ah,typical naija mindset,pay d pson peanuts if possible bc u wud b doing him/her a big favor,evn wen u can comfortably afford far more,sickening!
@Op,N30k is fair since its ur car& u doing d fuelling I guess,u may consida temporary lodgin,not in d main house,if u av ur own home.Ignore d N15k idea bc d average taxi driver dfinitely makes or submits more than N7-10k/day.
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 6:06am On Dec 25, 2011
Na wa oh, 50 hrs a week including weekends in dis crazy Lagos traffic and pple re saying u should carry a poor relative and take advantge of him for 12 or 15k, this person is supposed to build his life and raise a family with no opportunity to earn an extra income with this sum. Hmmm, I remember a thread on how Nigerians like to use pple, how true. OP I think between 35 and 40 is fair and take sunday off d table, everyone deserves a day of rest please. Let's be fair to pple who work for us and not treat them as if we re doing them a favor while we use them, I for one will like to assist my relations to build der lives not tie them down to 12k for a whole month. God forbid that anything will happen to me and my husband and my Son will face such a fate. Do unto others. Pay a fair income and I wouldn't suggest a relative, get a decent hardworking driver who u can relate professionally with. And get a guarantor, make sure u ve personal information and possibly a background check because too many bad staories abound today.
I am sorry if my comment hurt anyone but just how I feel. Its not morally right to take advantage of pple who we feel may need assistance, it will backfire and besides the golden rule, do unto others
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by blank(f): 12:12am On Dec 26, 2011
Which driver will accept 15k? Normal range is 30 - 40k and usually excludes Sunday. Can u work 7 days a week without complainin? Treat the person how u want ur boss 2 treat u.
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 26, 2011
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by charity00: 8:00pm On Dec 26, 2011
Yes chaircover it's weekends only The thing that was being asked was out of that 50 hour block (make it 48 hour 7:00pm Friday, to 7:00pm Sunday) what would be fair amount of hours during that time?

Is it legitimate for a driver (in this market) to say "I can't work Friday night and Saturday morning, because realistically, I can't make it home and back even if you give me an 8 hour block off Saturday afternoon, so you have to pay more than 30 if I work Friday night"

Re: What To Pay A Driver? by maclatunji: 9:55pm On Dec 26, 2011
^This your question is becoming a JAMB one. I don't even understand what your question is anymore especially with this 'hour block' concept you have added to the mix. Would you consider chartered cab services?
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 27, 2011
^^^^For once I have to agree with your post. I myself don't get the question. undecided
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by maclatunji: 12:49pm On Dec 27, 2011
^^^We agree sometimes, you just might not realise it grin
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by charity00: 6:35pm On Dec 30, 2011
I'm really not sure where the confusion is:

Person needs a driver between the hours of 5:00pm Friday and 7:00pm Sunday.

Person is willing to pay 30k

Within that time frame, how many hours is it appropriate (fair market value for 30K) for that driver to be available, and how many hours should he have off, within that 50 hour time frame?
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by maclatunji: 12:18pm On Jan 01, 2012
You are being unrealistic, you are employing a human being not a robot. Find someone suitable and negotiate terms. You have to realise we can't do that for you!
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Busybody2(f): 1:19pm On Jan 01, 2012
maclatunji:

You are being unrealistic, you are employing a human being not a robot. Find someone suitable and negotiate terms. You have to realise we can't do that for you!

Osanobua, person open thread to ask how many hours could be deemed suitable una dey tell am he is not being realistic, like Fela sang, "oro p'esi je oh, oro di hmmm" undecided
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by maclatunji: 6:36pm On Jan 01, 2012
^Let us say, the driver says he wants 20 hours-off out of the 50 hours in this weekend period. Will OP agree? That is 8 hours to sleep on Friday and 8 hours to sleep on Saturday the balance of 4 hours for transit and other purposes.

Even if OP agrees, can the driver meet-up with these terms without defaulting?

OP has to either define her terms or take whatever the driver she finds says he wants. No amount of argument here will determine that- afterall, she is the one that knows why she needs a driver!
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Busybody2(f): 9:08pm On Jan 01, 2012
^^^

Chai, put my foot right in that one, oops, i see where you are coming from embarassed The question sef dey give me headache, but methinks she should just employ the dude for the whole duration to commence friday evening, provide accommodation for him for Friday and Saturday night, and he sits in the car or wherever drivers that work morning to night sits, during Saturday and Sunday, innit undecided
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 01, 2012
My company driver works 8am-5pm from Mon to Friday.
He collects about 100k a mth.

In other words, he works 45hrs a week and collects about N25k.
Your price is reasonable. Give him 2hrs break for both Sat and Sun (excluding sleep time).
Re: What To Pay A Driver? by ShyOne(f): 4:49am On Jan 02, 2012
This is great information, it will be needed.

My Thanks to the contributors.

(1) (Reply)

12-year-old Boy Fathers Child With His Friend’s 36-year-old Mother / Wife: Darling Where Did You Learn This from. / Opinion Husband Scarcity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.