Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,987 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats (12131 Views)

Nigerian In US Arrested For Making Terrorist Threats / Olutosin Oduwole, Us Based Nigerian, Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison For Terroris / Olutosin Oduwole, Ex-siu Student, Sentenced To 5 Years In Threat Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 23, 2011
[img]http://4.bp..com/-Cs-S2HyzDNs/TvRlEte--BI/AAAAAAAANv8/xIucUVxBrvc/s1600/OLUTOSIN_ODUWOLE350T.jpg[/img]

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/12/26yr-old-nigerian-olutosin-oduwole.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/22/olutosin-oduwole-exsiu-st_n_1166142.html?ref=college

EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. — An aspiring rapper was sentenced Wednesday to five years in prison over a 2007 money-demanding note that threatened a Virginia Tech-like killing spree, failing to convince a judge the writing was innocent lyrics and other musings.

A barely audible Olutosin Oduwole insisted in court that he "did not mean to incite fear."

"That was never my intention. That is not my character," said the 26-year-old rapper and former Southern Illinois University student. The note was found in his car on the college's campus.

Madison County Circuit Judge Richard Tognarelli said jurors were right when they convicted Oduwole in October of attempting to make a terrorist threat, a felony.

"The jury found that this was not a song. They found it was a threat, and I do not disagree with them," the judge said of the case.

Oduwole stared blankly toward Tognarelli when the judge rejected the defense's call for probation and ordered what he described as "appropriate" prison time. The sentence was well short of the maximum 15-year term prosecutors were seeking.

Tognarelli also sentenced Oduwole to 364 days and a $1,000 fine on a related conviction of illegally having or storing a loaded pistol in his on-campus apartment the day he was arrested in July 2007, just months after the Virginia Tech rampage that left 32 people dead along with the gunman.

Tognarelli ordered the terms to be served at the same time, minus whatever time Oduwole has already spent in jail. He rejected Oduwole's requests for a new trial and release on bond pending his appeals, saying he still sees Oduwole as a public threat.

Oduwole was attending the Illinois school's 13,000-student Edwardsville campus, northeast of St. Louis, when campus police found a piece of paper in his abandoned car, which they had impounded and was out of gas. The writing demanded payment to a PayPal account, threatening "if this account doesn't reach $50,000 in the next 7 days then a murderous rampage similar to the VT shooting will occur at another highly populated university. THIS IS NOT A JOKE!"

While referencing the Virginia Tech massacre, the writing did not make any direct reference to targeting the Edwardsville campus.

Even before the piece of paper was found in his car, Oduwole was being scrutinized by federal agents. A gun dealer had tipped them off earlier in the month that Oduwole appeared overly anxious to get four semiautomatic weapons – including an Uzi-like Mac 10 – that he had ordered.

Prosecutors said in court Wednesday that the totality of those circumstances, along with the loaded gun found in Oduwole's apartment, constituted a potential danger that could not be ignored.

"I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario where that isn't threatening serious harm," prosecutor John Fischer argued, insisting that Oduwole be given a tough sentence that could dissuade others from acting similarly. "Having a loaded gun on campus is inappropriate, regardless of the threat. The threat rises it to another level."

Oduwole's attorneys, as they had at trial, countered that the "note" was "nothing more than a piece of scrap paper with private thoughts, the beginning of a song." They said the writing found crumpled in his abandoned car was never meant to be made public or shared.

"Olutosin Oduwole was prosecuted for his thoughts," Jeffrey Urdangen argued on Oduwole's behalf. "At the end of the day, judge, everything else being equal, I can honestly characterize this as a First Amendment train wreck."

After Wednesday's sentencing, Oduwole pleaded guilty to felony charges of theft and computer fraud related to his online sale of a gun he did not have, though he collected money from the would-be buyer. Oduwole was sentenced to 2 1/2 years of probation on those charges, which will be served with the prison time.

1 Like

Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 23, 2011
[s]silly cult boy must have thought he was still in naija

i hope they ream his arse more[/s]

guess hes an american
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 24, 2011
Tribalists to take over soon  grin
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by chidyke77(m): 11:20am On Dec 24, 2011
A lot of his mates doesn't have the opportunity to school abroad and yet the one that has it doesn't want to utilize his opprtunity,better he get deported after the jail sentence.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by marcus1234: 11:21am On Dec 24, 2011
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Mobinga: 11:22am On Dec 24, 2011
Wow. What a misuse of life and opportunity.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by jason2010(m): 11:27am On Dec 24, 2011
I heard that the dude ain't even 9ja. Nigerians don't really do stuff like that. So what if his parents are Nigerians?
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 24, 2011
Yoruba Man will always show him MUMUism everywhere undecided, I know he was not serious niii, The Ode  just want to show swag wey e no get  grin grin grin
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 24, 2011
^^Just like i said above grin
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by kevoh(m): 11:41am On Dec 24, 2011
Bagged five years jail just for being stupid. This boy is a whole package of mumu combined with an air of ode. how can you write such inciting note and then claim it's lyrics? Mr.Oduwole u want form big boy when u be ant abi? I imagine what would have happened if d 50000 dollars was paid in to his account and dude returned to flex in naija.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 24, 2011
slowpoke. ., he possibly meant no harm.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by martinseme: 11:55am On Dec 24, 2011
mere looking at his coco nut head u can tell he is a really scanty head olodo who is leading a hard life without using his brains.he surely didnt pass through d hardship his mates ar enduring in this hell called nija b4 going there he is obviously a yankee born.if he passed through nija system he would be serious there and make 1st class like many others have done.4 year 4 in jail thats real pain.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 24, 2011
anyway, after 5 years in prision, he'll have street cred and maybe erm hom-o cred too lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Kay1kay1(m): 12:51pm On Dec 24, 2011
Ordered gΛnz. AdƷents on his trail. His scribblings confirmed it. And the system ain't willing to gamble with lives.

The kid lost it. . . He just lost it.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by ayusman16(m): 1:14pm On Dec 24, 2011
kayci_d77:

Yoruba Man will always show him MUMUism everywhere undecided, I know he was not serious niii, The Ode  just want to show swag wey e no get  grin grin grin

And u are on a Yoruba-owned thread spewing yoruba. Do u ever reread ur posts to realize how meaning it is? Tribalist fool.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 24, 2011
ayusman16:

And u are on a Yoruba-owned thread spewing yoruba. Do u ever reread your posts to realize how meaning it is? Tribalist fool.
Ignore that buffon.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by buzugee(m): 1:40pm On Dec 24, 2011
this dude is into some heavy stuff. prosecuting a man for his thoughts is something else but this dude is involved in selling and buying illegal weaponry. hmmm. i guess 5 years is an appropriate time. not too excessive and enough time for him to cool off and think about what he did wrong.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by dustydee: 1:51pm On Dec 24, 2011
He should be made to serve his jail term in Nigeria.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 24, 2011
odiaero:

^^Just like i said above grin

grin grin grin grin This is not tribalism, I know How my yoruba friends use to behave when I was in Sec Sch. Mehn this dude need to be fed with only amala no Ewedu, grin grin grin

ayusman16:

And u are on a Yoruba-owned thread spewing yoruba. Do u ever reread your posts to realize how meaning it is? Tribalist fool.

Yoruba owned , How, My friend shatttaaap

~Bluetooth:

Ignore that buffon.

Auchhhh, Ode oshi like you shouldnt be saying this, number one tribalist in Nairaland undecided undecided
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by MarcAnthon(m): 2:40pm On Dec 24, 2011
odiaero:

Tribalists to take over soon  grin

Bros if you had nothing better to say you could just have kept quiet. There's nothing wise or insightful in that statement. You were only inciting it.
The boy is not even Nigerian sef. . .But even if he is when will we start blaming (if we must) individuals for their actions and leave their tribes out of it?
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by awuf2008: 3:01pm On Dec 24, 2011
May be he think he is in Nigeria ,where anything goes, but unfortunately he is in God's Own Country where laws are allowed to take its appropriate course. He deserve what he gets.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by dasparrow: 3:03pm On Dec 24, 2011
oyb:

[s]silly cult boy must have thought he was still in naija

i hope they ream his arse more[/s]

guess hes an american

An american? Really? If he was of Igbo descent, the opinions would have differed. By now, they would have been raining all sorts of insults on Igbos by now. But since he is of yoruba stock, it is now a case of "he's an american." I know Nigerians would claim him quickly and recognize him as a Nigerian if he had done something positive and worthwhile. So much double standard amongst Nigerians, its disgusting to say the least. Just stating my observation.

jason2010:

I heard that the dude ain't even 9ja. Nigerians don't really do stuff like that. So what if his parents are Nigerians?

Right! I know nairalanders would be singing a different tune if he had done something positive.

ayusman16:

There is a fool on linda Ikeji's blog by the name of Gbenga who never has anything positive to say about Igbos and especially Igbo women. He is also aware that Linda Ikeji is an Igbo girl though born and raised in Lagos. Yet anytime there is news that an Igbo man or lady messed up, he is quick to throw tribalist diatribes. He is lucky that Linda tolerates his nonsense because if it were someone else, his hateful comments will not be approved to see the light of day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Ayor93(m): 3:04pm On Dec 24, 2011
kayci_d77:

Yoruba Man will always show him MUMUism everywhere undecided,  I know he was not serious niii, The Ode  just want to show swag wey e no get  grin grin grin
babaric quote frm an uncouth fool
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by OkparaIgbo: 3:14pm On Dec 24, 2011
What is wrong with these people, shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by nelly4(f): 3:17pm On Dec 24, 2011
stupid idiot, gang banging ass hole muderfucking slowpoke,
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Rooneyboy(m): 3:24pm On Dec 24, 2011
Baba should cool off small in prison
Maybe when he comes out he would have written enough songs/lyrics just like AKON.

1 Like

Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by Limaoscar: 3:56pm On Dec 24, 2011
My thoughts:
1. This boy imay be an American with one or both parents as Naija
2.He is a criminal. A scammer, an ole-oshi,
3. He had a loaded gun in His campus apartment
4. There are claims He was desperate to buy those sophisticated weapons mentioned in the story
5.He had that threat note in the car

Let's not even play the race card here.America at this moment don't take this kinds of things likely weather it's a "local swag" or a joke once you make a statement that becomes a security threat and mentioning V.Tech as reference no be joke now, peeps died and memories are still fresh.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by djcontour: 4:40pm On Dec 24, 2011
please the guy is not a gangbanger or anything, God u people are quick to throw the 1st stone, he only guilty of have a gun without a license. if you guys know the real story and not what the media has written, he a college student that was jus gonna grad in may, they are just look for a scape goat.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by kizito96(m): 4:43pm On Dec 24, 2011
Poor boy, he thought he was in Nigeria where anything goes. Next time he will arrange his lyrics very well
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by hbrednic: 4:55pm On Dec 24, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Ignore that buffon.
monkey don chop your mouth shameless bigot
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by adasi678: 5:02pm On Dec 24, 2011
[[i]b]Yoruba Man will always show him MUMUism everywhere ,  I know he was not serious niii, The Ode  just want to show swag wey e no get  

@kayci_d77.i havent posted any stuff before here,but you pushed me to give answers to your childish and unreasonable stuff about YORUBAS.From your post ,I could judge that you are a young guy in his 20's.I am a yoruba man,i am proud to be one anyday anytime and i know none of my fellow colleagues from anypart of the country cant stand Man to Man level with me.I respect other people from other tribes.From your statement,I could say you havent achieved anything in life not to talk of managing people with different diversities.I will just advise you to have a better orientation in life than what you have now so that you can be a better man in the society.
Re: 26yr Old Nigerian, Olutosin Oduwole, Imprisioned For Terrorist Threats by isalegan2: 5:50pm On Dec 24, 2011
There is very little Nigerian about that dude other than his name.

His looks, dressing, even that bump on his nose makes me wonder if his mom is Naija.

oyb:

[img]http://4.bp..com/-Cs-S2HyzDNs/TvRlEte--BI/AAAAAAAANv8/xIucUVxBrvc/s1600/OLUTOSIN_ODUWOLE350T.jpg[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South African Police Issues Warning To South African Ladies About Nigerian Men / New Female Tenants Kidnaps 4 Children From Different Parents In Umuahia / ‘Stolen’ Genitals: 2 Men Jailed 3 Months For Defamation Of Character

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.