Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital (8641 Views)

Woman Dies In Tender Hospital Enugu Due To Alleged Negligence / How Doctor’s Negligence Made Me Impotent (pictured) / Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by DisGuy: 12:50am On Oct 04, 2007
May her young soul rest in peace cry

the thing i don't get is why they always ask for money before they can admit patients, is this a lawful?
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 04, 2007
ST3V3, its so sad that you had to lose your mum for a problem that could easily have been corrected in developed countries. The first thing any patient brought in with traumatic injuries is a full brain scan to detect bleeding in the brain or an aneurysm.

Do you blame our doctors? Where are the CT scans that would have helped them detect the problem?
What do they teach those doctors in medical school? Archaic methods of diagnosing ailments that are 100 yrs behind modern techniques in advanced countries! Any medical practitioner in Nigeria is no better than the average nurse here in the US or at worst no more than a drug dispensary.

The best they can treat is malaria, fever or common cold. Trust them with advanced diseases at your own peril. My uncle had an accident a couple of months ago, he came out with just scratches but it was evident he had some form of brain injury because he complained of headaches and dizziness. The doctors dressed his bruises and promptly discharged him.

The poor fellow collapsed in a coma a few weeks later and had to be rushed to the UK for emergency surgery. Thankfully he arrived just in time and is back to his feet now. It was when he arrived in the UK that doctors discovered he had been bleeding in the brain all along FOR WEEKS!!!!
Thank God for His mercies, i would be among those with tales of woe today.

But do you really blame the doctors 100%? What of doctors who are performing operations and NEPA strikes only to discover there was no diesel in the generator? How many times will doctors go on strike before Govt decides to pay them a fraction of what a house speaker uses to renovate a brand new home? Look at our hospitals (advanced mortuaries), what is there? Where are the drugs? Do we have emergency services?

Health insurance? My mother faithfully contributed to the NHIS for more than a decade, she is yet to reap 10 kobo from the fraudulent plan! People go to government hospitals and are turned away because of a mere N5000 while illegal aliens get free medical care here.

Ex-Gov Joshua Dariye is busy complaining that the UK did not return all his loot, yet he walks about as a free man while his people are mere walking corpses!!

And when i raise my voice to complain someone berates me for being unpatriotic and blind not to see the "sweet wind of change" blowing in Nigeria? Perhaps this wind is blowing in their bedrooms only.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by amannivere(m): 3:57am On Oct 04, 2007
@webjunior,
pl accept ma condolences.accept her departure and move on,lets celebrate her life time and as you read this receive the peace of God in your family.Amen.It helps to believe that death is not the end of life,its only a journey to the unknown,a better place where we hope there is no cancer or malabsorption.From what you wrote,you did your best to help and lets give a lil kudos to our professionals too,we are all just trying.your search for a 'medical lawyer' will only prolong the healing process you need right now.(the legal services arent any better ya know!)your baby sis has just taken flight,her place is with the stars now and we all suspect she's no longer in pains(please let this console you).its only a matter of time and our pain of loss will go away too.its painful,feel my tears cry,take heart.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by Nwaka77: 4:25am On Oct 04, 2007
Webjunior,
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. May the good Lord strenghthen you and your family in this difficult time. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. cry
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by ade4real(f): 6:31am On Oct 04, 2007
Am so sorry about your sister's demise.God giveth and God taketh.May God bear you and your family the fortitude to bear her loss.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by lifegal(f): 8:06am On Oct 04, 2007
am so sorry, May the God Lord Comfort you and your entire family.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by blackky187(m): 9:00am On Oct 04, 2007
@WebJunior
Accept my condolence. sad Nigeria is a country where negligence on the part of hospitals is a common phenomenom.Imagine a dying patient being rushed to an hospital instead of being attended to,the nurses would first of all request for their hospital card money and would prefer to go through the process of filling the card before rushing the person to the emergency room-too bad.The medical guys in the house what is Nigeria Medical Association(NMA) doing as regards this negligence on the part of hospitals staffs in general?We are losing more and more people to the cold hands of death just because of negligence.This and many other things contribute to the reason why people prefer to travel out for treatment for even a minor dislocation- as far as there's money to cater for the expenses.This is our country and we must show positive attitude towards things and also remember that we (Nigerians) are the only ones to make this country great.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by peteroc(m): 9:55am On Oct 04, 2007
I am so sorry for your loss
Read this

NO TEARS PAST THE GATE
Someone new has entered
our eternal home above.
The heavenly gate has opened wide
to welcome the one you love.
We cannot help the tears that fall-
our hearts need time to grieve
when earthly life has ended
and a loved one has to leave.
Yet even in the saddest time,
we know our Savior lives,
and we can trust completely
in the promise that he gives.
That in a glad reunion with the Lord,
our loved ones wait
to welcome us in joy
with no more tears
beyond the gate!

~ Author Unknown ~
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by debobo: 11:35am On Oct 04, 2007
pls accept my sympathy.i know what it is like to lose a loved one.i lost my 25 years old brother some months ago due to misrepresentation by some doctors.he was told he had malaria and was given some malaria drugs,but instead of getting better he drifted into a coma and died the next day.He was 25 years old and in his final year at the university.Like in your sisters case,his death certificate said he died of cerebral malaria/jaundice and not malaria parasite.

I am a legal practitioner and i have thought of suing the hospital but decided otherwise,its of no use,its not as if suing them would have brought him back or sooth the pain we went through as a family.i think its best for you to take your mums advice and leave everything to GOD,it is only him that can comfort you.You have to be strong for your folks and the rest of the family.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by WebJunior(m): 12:31pm On Oct 04, 2007
Hi Debobo , thanks for your condolence and sorry about your brother. Unfortunately my field is not related to anything closer to law, but I know we all have rights.

Yes it's good that we leave everything to God, but for how long?, how are we clearing the path for the younger generations? I bet you agree that not by killing them by our own stupidity. Some hospitals seem to be prone to taking human lives, like license to kill with excuse.

Unfortunately, there is nothing like messier coming to save Nigerian, only Nigerians can save Nigeria.

Still working out what legal stand I have.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by benit(f): 2:05pm On Oct 04, 2007
Poster,
Your story is drawing hot tears from my eyes. I understand how this feels because I have been there. I don't even want to remember some things now. Pls take heart and be strong for mama, she needs your strenght now. Peace
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by hola2ng(m): 2:19pm On Oct 04, 2007
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by geegee(f): 2:35pm On Oct 04, 2007
i really don't know what to say but firstly sorry for your loss
and how is your mum doing because i can only imagine what she is
going through. im not a lwayer but i think u'll have a good case because
it about time these hospitals stop play games wit ppls lives.
and the idea of hospitals refusing a sick person or asking for deposit first
beats my imgaination.im just wondring why they choose profession if it to save
life or make money?.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by HUMPHERY(m): 2:47pm On Oct 04, 2007
GOD WILL DEFINITELY COMFORT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.ACCEPT MY CONDOLENCE.
MY ADVISE,APPLY CAUTION IN YOUR LITIGATION QUEST,SO THAT YOU DONT END UP OPENING A HEALED WOUND.GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
[i][/i]
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 04, 2007
@Poster

Sorry for the loss, I Pray God to grant unto you and your family the fortitude to bear the loss. It's so painful, Your write up's so touchy! sad.

It is well.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by ozigbo(m): 3:35pm On Oct 04, 2007
Bros sorry for loss.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by Zandra1(f): 6:22pm On Oct 04, 2007
@ poster, I cried like a baby as I was reading your post. Please do accept my condolence. May the God of hope, joy, love and peace always remain with your family, amen. Its a shame at the state of things in Nigeria. Like someone rightly said, human life is not valued in Nigeria. I don't know the answer to your question about maybe pursuing the case legally but there has to be something that can be done but if only Nigeria isnt as corrupt as it is now. Stories like urs are among the many factors that motivate me in life to study and work hard so that by the grace of God, in future, I will set up a fund system where people that can't afford treatment can always be flown abroad for it. It's one of my dreams. So many rich people in Nigeria and the govt don't want to fix the deplorable conditions of the Nigerian health care system (and other stuff) rather people like Dangote get richer while a 19yr old receives paracetamol as part of the medication for cancer. Who knows if she actually had cancer or that the doctor did not diagnose her with the wrong disease? Misdiagnosing people happens in America talk of Nigeria with the many heartless and wicked quacks. Its sad. Seems like many doctors in Nigeria become doctors cause they're guaranteed steady income cause I don't see y a doctor that's supposed to save lives and treat people will turn someone away from the hospital esp. someone that's really sick. I don't know if they comprehend the fact that those people they turn away that may eventually die are people's loved ones. Please take it easy dear poster cause I know that the Almighty God will see y'all thru. Just draw closer to Him more in this your time of need.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by mekoyo(m): 6:26pm On Oct 04, 2007
Little drop of tears on my eyes asi read your story. Sorry for loss and pray that God will give you the strength to bear the loss.

You need to look forward now, face reality and forget about the quack hospital. You cant bring her back by any of your actions, you just have to take everythging to God in prayer.

Move ahead and please tell mama to stop the tears.

Our government should do something about this, we cant continue to have all these casualties when we have the resources.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by kaypinchi(m): 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2007
@ webjunior

Sorry about your loss. Life's like that (only in Nigeria). May God help us.

I'm just wondering why anyone hasn't advised or devised a strategy on how to take this hospital to court.
Don't we have Lawyers in Nairaland

I know little about law but permit me if I'm wrong, this hospital has done wrong and should be sued. Sued not to make money but to prove a point and to chart a new course for our dear country.

Negligence is key point in this case and this can be proven beyond doubt. The medical records are there so it should not be difficult to make a case after scrutiny.

I know many fall thru mistakes and/or negligence but the hospital should review the case and offer apologies. Then we can keep quiet. Otherwise,

I have been to some other hospitals where care and professionalism are watchwords hence this is not alien in our land and some people need to tighten their knickers.

If Lawyer on this forum is ready to make a name for his/her career and for posterity thru this case, I am with u all the way.
Also, if any Doctor on this forum is ready to enlighten us better on how wrong I am, then I am waiting.
Again, if there is any Journalist here ready to challenge this, put you pen to paper and expose them.

Offering condolences alone will not stop this wrong trend in our land.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by WebJunior(m): 7:47pm On Oct 04, 2007
Hello kaypinchi, and thanks for your response. This is a gret line "Sued not to make money but to prove a point and to chart a new course for our dear country."

Thanks.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by kaypinchi(m): 8:27pm On Oct 04, 2007
@ seun

Would it be ok for you to restore the main title of this thread on the main board so that a lot more views, reactions and synergy is achieved.

Just thinking and suggesting a way forward.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by africanboy(m): 10:18pm On Oct 04, 2007
sorry. some of us have a similar experience.

my dad had the same this year -> indirectly, i had

http://9jasite.com/personal/grannys-last-trip/ <- my father account of mama's last days
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by pmdaboh(f): 11:30pm On Oct 04, 2007
I am so sorry to hear of your terrible loss. I cannot imagine going through that with a loved one, but "thank God" he gave you, and is still giving you strength to endure. I am married to a Nigerian man and am a U.S. citizen. In America, no one is refused treatment whether they can pay or not. If you do not have insurance coverage, they will work with you to make monthly payments. Saving lives should be a hospital's first business. My God it is so shocking to hear that someone who is desperately ill can actually, and was actually, turned away from hospital personnel. Where is their heart? angry angry How in Gods name can they see a need, which they have the ability to help, or ease in some type of way, and turn their backs on that human being. That is horrible! embarassed cry cry

Please receive my condolences for you and your family, and I will be praying for you all.

Love Patricia Daboh
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by smartsoft(m): 12:08am On Oct 05, 2007
I'm really crying have not seen this just reading this now, tears drops out from my eyes just now when i rememberd smartsoft dieing at 12.am 2months ago no help coming from the hospital, i was transferd from one hospital to another.

Webjunior my greatfriend, i don't have address to your family house nigeria and i know we live very closei would have paid a mama a visit i'm very very sorry, accept my condolence, God is in Control ! she's pretty young thats a pain in the butt. Webjunior my greatfriend, once again accept my condolence, Tell mama not to think again.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by itoronkan(f): 7:01am On Oct 05, 2007
this goes back to the question of, what is our government doing?, what is etteh doing?, stealing money? yes!. No laws are made to protect the masses, so a doctor can prescribe crappy drugs to a pt and goes scoot free, things really need to change in that country. Yardua will run to germany for a simply malaria treatment! so wat abt the common people. God will punish them for putting us through this mess. this is the 21st century and we still dont have real doctors in nigeria. a general practitioner will perform surgery, a fool can do anything on u and then say, i am sorry we loss ur wife. this is unfair, Nigerians we need to all wake up, this is unacceptable, let me finish school, i will come back with a gun, shot all those money hungry politician and serve the people, an average American doctors has 4 yrs of undergraduate studies, 4 yrs of med school and 2-3 years of intenship and residency, but a Nigerian doctors spends like 5-6 yrs in school, does not really need to special, one foolish per hospital, he or she will be the pediatrician, the obyn, the cardiologist, basically, will do anything, are we stupid? this is shear stupidity
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by Seun(m): 7:09am On Oct 05, 2007
Cancer is not a piece of cake; it can relapse at any time even if you're treated abroad.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by WebJunior(m): 8:14am On Oct 05, 2007
Cancer is not a piece of cake; it can relapse at any time even if you're treated abroad.

You guys are great and your responses had been really helpful, once again unbehalf of my family, I thank you all.

I'm not sure about the a rumour that we still treat all cancer as terminal disease, I believe that most cancer is curable when caught early. Except if it's in a case of terminal cancer.

In my sister's case, she had a curable kidney cancer, caught early, and removed by operation. how can a curable cancer patient end up dying like someone with terminal cancer? the cancer is not even the cause of my sister's death.

And from some people's responses in this forum you will see that this is almost hapening to every other Nigerian.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by chukz4real(m): 9:26am On Oct 05, 2007
WebJunior, it does happen like dat sometimes in Nigeria. Infact the story made me speechless, I blive, if it had been told before now, there would have been recommendations for an alternative,

May her gentle soul rest in perfect peace and may the Almighty God grant you entire family fortitude to bear the great loss.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by africanboy(m): 9:35am On Oct 05, 2007
what about office of the public defender? or something like that. r they relevant?
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by chukz4real(m): 9:40am On Oct 05, 2007
To our friend Webjunior and family

When all the food, and all the flowers
And all the calls at every hour
Have ceased to flood into your home
Don’t think at all that you’re alone

‘Cause there are those who stay with you
With thoughts and prayers they hope will do
And though they may not always phone

The mornings you awake at three
And cannot sleep, so you make tea
And silence makes you feel like stone

And if your heart is wearing thin
And tears and ready to begin
Just marvel at the love you’ve known

‘Cause not a day has made it through
Where someone didn’t think of you
And all the kindnesses you’ve shown

What do we have to say to all this,
God knows and understands better
We as human can only make suggestions though
but god remains supreme,
HE understands and HE alone knows why
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by sweeten: 10:37am On Oct 05, 2007
Am so so sorry on the lost of your younger sister,who ever has lost a dear one will understand your pains and i urge you to be strong for your mum,your strength is all she can carry on with.About the doctors and nurses in Nigeria hospitals:
There some people who are not fit to practise any aspect of human treatment but hey the corruption in this country has giving way for every body to go the the university to study whatever you want or whatever your parents want you to study.
its a long time ago that you have to ready hard and attain a particular point in jamb before you can be allowed to study medicine but now even if you fail your waec if your father has the money to pay your way Thur forget it you will be admitted to study medicine a course that has gotten to do with human life.what do you expect fron someone whose addmission was bought?definitely the six years study too will be bought and they will tell you they've just graduated as a medical doctor,please is it medical doctor by certificate or by practise.the people that takes bribe from such parent has forget the families or friends can be a victim of the fake certificate they issued.they tends to endanger the life of the innocent patience in their care.
Eko hospital i think is living on pass glory some of the doctors there are not qualified to treat animals let alone human being its so sad that the corruption in the country is a now a trade for the human life.its so sad but hey brother take heart and be glad you never begged for death for your sister.it sad yes but at list she didn't go through pains she couldn't bear.be brave.
Re: An Innocent Life Wasted By Negligence Of Eko Hospital by bisii(f): 12:10pm On Oct 05, 2007
my condolences dear
i`ld sure be prayin for u n the rest of ur family!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Semen Dropping During Excretion / Cross River Government Warns Of Outbreak Of Haemorrhagic Fever / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Drinking Lots Of Water Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.