Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:53 AM

Pancreatic Cancer - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pancreatic Cancer (1967 Views)

Urine Test To Detect Early Pancreatic Cancer / 7 Quickest Ways To Reduce Pancreatic Cancer / 5 Sexual Acts That May Cause Cancer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pancreatic Cancer by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 26, 2011
I have a relative in London diagnosed with cancer of pancreas

It has beeen about 4weeks now and yet doctors have not started any treatment, they keep doing tests and the latest delay was is caused by waiting to do a test to find out whether it is safe to operate.

All the while her condition general health is deterioating.

What can you suggest?

We are considering travelling abroad to get her good private treatment that would be affordable does anyone have any suggestions for countries and or hospitals abroad that can offer good affordable cancer treatment?
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by freepeople: 8:07am On Dec 28, 2011
I sympathize with your relative.

Pancreatic cancer is a worrisome tumour. Only 10-15% of pancreatic tumour are operable. 40-50% have advanced to involve the portal vein at the time of diagnosis. In surgery, we don't rush to operate on the pancreas since it contains some enzyme that can digest the tissues. Besides, pancreatic cancers has a narrow indication spectrum for surgery.

Depending on the tumour stage at diagnosis, treatment can either be surgery, conservative or palliative. As I said before, the indications for surgery are narrow. You painted a picture of an advanced cancer,

All the while her condition general health is deteriorating

I don't love to say this, but I'm afraid that the treatment at this stage is palliation. That explains the delay on the side of doctors to operate. No need to waste your resources by travelling abroad since the prognosis is poor and they will still proffer the same advise. Moreover, the mean survival rate of this condition is 6-9 months. I pray that their diagnosis is wrong, but if it happens to be pancreatic cancer, I'm afraid to advise to get prepared for any eventuality.
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 28, 2011
@freepeople
Thanks for your advice. God bless you.

She has just taken a turn for the worst.

The stent that they had fitted to keep her bile duct open has become infected and had caused septicemia in her blood and trapped bile has caused failure of her lungs, liver and kidneys to function properly.

Her tumour was recent said to be neuroendocronic tumor whic may be less aggressive and operable, but it is uncertain whether she would make through the next 24 hours.

What is best thing she or my family could do to improve her chances of making through the next few critical days, if anything?

It is all in God's hand now. cry
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by freepeople: 1:13pm On Dec 28, 2011
^^^
You must be a medical professional. I'm quite impressed by your free usage of medical terms.

As I mentioned previously, prepare for any eventuality. The outcome might not be favourable.

Is the stent that was fitted to keep the bile flowing related to her present condition?

If the answer is yes, then the tumour must be located at the head of pancreas. Head of pancreas is directly related to the outflow of bile into the intestine. Therefore, some tumour affecting the head of the pancreas is bound to occlude that outlet.

Seems like the management is tending towards palliation. But from the picture you painted, I think the tumour is exocrine in origin.

I wish her all the best.
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 28, 2011
^^
No I am not in medical profession I am just stating the information her doctors have been telling us.

The stent that was indeed fitted because the tumour was effect the free flow of bile.

Are you saying that it is most likely inoperable? The professor looking after her was looking at carrying out some tests to find out whether tumour is operable , he was waiting for a PEP? test but they have run out of a particular solution they needed for the test and were trying to order some before the present challenge presented itself.

What does tumour of exocrine origin mean?

She could not sleep last night and is appearing slightly confused at the moment. Could the confusion be just due to sleep deprivation or could it be a sign of things getting worst?

freepeople:

^^^
You must be a medical professional. I'm quite impressed by your free usage of medical terms.

As I mentioned previously, prepare for any eventuality. The outcome might not be favourable.

Is the stent that was fitted to keep the bile flowing related to her present condition?

If the answer is yes, then the tumour must be located at the head of pancreas. Head of pancreas is directly related to the outflow of bile into the intestine. Therefore, some tumour affecting the head of the pancreas is bound to occlude that outlet.

Seems like the management is tending towards palliation. But from the picture you painted, I think the tumour is exocrine in origin.

I wish her all the best.
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by freepeople: 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2011
Ok

When was the stent fitted?
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by pslm23(f): 8:11pm On Dec 28, 2011
@GenBuhari, my prayers are with you and your relative.

my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer too and he also had to endure all kinds of tests and so on before they would even do surgery. His type was also said to be operable but they were trying to avoid that and instead go for intense chemo and radiation. he died while waiting for them and just a week before his medical visa was issued.

My mom had cancer of the liver and stomach and was flown here for surgery and or chemo. She had lost so much weight it was impossible to get any vein to draw blood or infuse any medication so they placed a stent in her major artery on her chest. it got infected with septicemia and they didn't realise it until it was too late. They told me her confusion and disorientation was as a result of the high dose of morphine they put her on to control her pain.

I hope your relative pulls through.
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by pslm23(f): 8:21pm On Dec 28, 2011
The Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Philly was our choice for my mom.

For my dad it was Abramson Cancer Center of Penn Medicine in Philly. They sent us an estimate of what his care might cost and they wanted at least 90% of that paid for up front before they would even send a letter to the Embassy for him to get his medical visa. The payment was made within 48hours but trust the US Embassy in Abuja, they kept delaying at every turn until it was just too late.

Do a google search on good cancer treatment centers in whatever country you decide to take your relative to.
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 29, 2011
@freepeople
Stent was a plastic one and as fitted approx 4-5 weeks ago

I believe they have now replaced the stent

I last visited her yesterday night while she was sedated and asleep and her blood pressure was 108/49 (constant), another reading was fluctating between 94 and 100 /44 , person I was with who works as Care Assistant was concerned that the blood pressure as low, but she later said that maybe it was due to multiple organ failure?

I guess that the low of the 2 blood pressure (fluctuating) may be the one monitoring the pressure in vein in her neck

Her heart rate is constant at 105

She has a tube pushed down her throat for oxygen support

Are there any danger signs that needs to be watched out for if she is to pull through in the next 2 days ?

freepeople:

Ok

When was the stent fitted?

@pslm23
Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your experience with delays in getting treatment for both your parents. Your experience is similar to what we are experiencing.

Some times I wonder whether the medical team do these delays delibrately undecided
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 29, 2011
Can sedation may cause such low blood pressure?

I just read that low blood pressure combined with high pulse rate is dangerous (is pulse rate of 105 bpm high ? in this circumstances

what can the medical team do to address this risk?
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by pslm23(f): 7:52am On Jan 01, 2012
Happy New Year GB. How is your relative doing now? I hope she's still fighting this cancer and trying her best to get stronger and better everyday.

God bless
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 01, 2012
^ Happy new year!
She is still very critncal and has just developed pnemonia.
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by pslm23(f): 2:09am On Jan 02, 2012
GenBuhari:

^ Happy new year!
She is still very critncal and has just developed pnemonia.

I am very sorry to hear that! sad I hope she pulls through. I hope the hospital is at least doing their best to control her level of pain? Is she still on a respirator? They use that to help the patients breathe better especially when pneumonia occurs.

You are all in prayers.
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 15, 2012
Unfortunately, she passed away from the pnemonia sad a few days ago.

may she RIP
Re: Pancreatic Cancer by highland(m): 7:08pm On Jan 15, 2012
This is serious, i pray God healing for him/her. It is very difficult treating internal cancer.

(1) (Reply)

Get Your Hsg Done With Digital Xray / Graphic Pics.....pls Endeavour To Use Your Toilets Properly. / Coronavirus Is A Sham: The Real Agenda Is Called ID2020.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.