Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow - Properties (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow (132796 Views)

Reality Building Of A 2 Bedroom Flat In Akure / New Project: Building A 4 Bedroom Bungalow / 4 Bedroom Bungalow, All Rms Ensuite Tiled Premise, Gen House For Only 13M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by coolguy2002: 7:49am On Apr 21, 2012
ok ok
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 7:56am On Apr 21, 2012
[b]Good thread, but this isnt something you should encourage. What you have currently built here will definitely have some problems
The house is extremely flawed in a lot of ways....

1. You didnt post the plan of your structure....for everything called REAL construction, there has to be plan.
2. The foundation is about 2 feet high (which would give you loads of mess in future after roads has been graded and you have more houses around you). When you have heavy flooding in the future, Mr. you will be picking out all the snakes and frogs washed into your sitting room.
3. I can count the pillars. For chrissake, please indicate what engineering school you went! because if a strong wind hits your structure, those horrible blocks they sell all around will splinter) you need pillars, its your house not a chicken coops that must be managed. And with all that load your putting ontop of your house (lintel, woods, including the roof, your putting so much weight on such a fragile structure. Abeg!)
3. No clear planning....you didnt set out a fence (be it just through 2 or 3 coaches of blocks), and im not even sure if there is plans for parking lot, garden, etc....you are just building
4. This appears to be the type of defective project you see strewn all over ikorodu. Eventually, in 4 years time, you'd have a lot of spending to do on this structure....I guarantee you.

Anyways, you opened a great blog for those willing to spend 1million naira on a property. You should rename it, how to build your house Ijebu-style.
Apologies to my ijebu bros. Totally one of ya![/b]
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Jiah011(f): 8:19am On Apr 21, 2012
aasog1: Good thread, but this isnt something you should encourage. What you have currently built here will definitely have some problems

Interesting points. I'm not an architect or a construction expert, but I shared many of your concerns. I was wondering about all the things you said too. Also, I didn't see any piping or wiring done, so I'm guessing no electric or bathroom features? In that dark bush, the owner will carry torch-light and do his business in the woods if he needs too in the middle of the night? I'm just wondering. This has definitely been built quickly (Two months as the contractor said), but this house/bungalow does not seem like a structure that will last very long. Just by looking at the surroundings of this house, there will be many natural factors one needs to consider also. Nevertheless, a very interesting depiction of this process.
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by peaceland(m): 8:26am On Apr 21, 2012
Dear Aasog;
I am not a builder and definitely not making case for the OP
however in my village in Ekiti state; i cant remember seeing a bungalow with pillars; its a matter of choice sir (my opinion)
I've seen crazy wind storms too but none of those buildings cracked or crashed.....
not posting the plan/ - its his choice; what if he decides not to post at all sir?
on the height of foundation - you builders knows better; looks ok to me though....
on the fence; most typical builders out of Lagos would do what he has done; i believe there is more than enough room for the fence based on the cleared land area in the pictures. why spend money on fence when nobody is chasing you sir?. its Lagos and ogun state that has that challenge cos of boys....
Sir; I have seen a lot of your posts and do respect them & you but on your post here i think there is something i am missing ...... did not sound like you sir.
thank you. nice day

5 Likes

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by peaceland(m): 8:30am On Apr 21, 2012
an addition;
for me; i think for a bungalow; piping & wiring are done after roofing the bungalow.
nothing wrong with piping before i agree but most bungalows I've seen would do it after roofing.
just my opinion
thank you
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by newmaster(m): 8:46am On Apr 21, 2012
good work from spyder, keep it up
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 21, 2012
Weldone Spyder team! You got me glued to this topic....as i had to read from post one till last page! So insightful. Thank you.

#if I'm not asking too much could you please unveil a photograph of the complete building? Weldone, you... More blessings.
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by igboitalo: 8:54am On Apr 21, 2012
spyder880:

What's your location sir?
oga spider sorry for my late reply, location enugu or owerri
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Emphasis(m): 9:06am On Apr 21, 2012
Am actually handling a similar project in Ikot-Ekpene, Akwa Ibom state.
Its a 5bedroom bungalow, a lounge, kitchen and pantry, site out, foyer, lobby and conveniences.
Below is the 3D design and the real construction on site. Note due to my client's requirement, the building has been mirrored, so the 3D design is a mirror image of the building on site. I will post the floor plan and foundation pictures later. More details of the building coming...

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Emphasis(m): 9:31am On Apr 21, 2012
Am on it... Trying to reduce the size of the picture, bear with me... Using a phone not PC
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by executinal(m): 9:40am On Apr 21, 2012
Spyder you are too much cheesy
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by PHIPEX(m): 10:34am On Apr 21, 2012
Great work Spyder u'v inspired me to build too.
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by uhuns: 11:08am On Apr 21, 2012
EN GUYS

FOR US THAT JOINED LATE WE WOULD APPRECIATE IF THE OP CAN GIVE US DETAILS FOR TAKE HOME:

COST OF CLEARING
THE AREA IN METER
NUMBER OF BLOCKS
NUMBER OF CEMENT BAGS
NUMBER OF SAND TRIPS AND THE QUANTITY
COST OF LABOUR AT DIFFERENT STAGES
ROOF AREA
COST OF ALUMINUM MATERIAL AND LABOUR
TIMBER ROOF COST AND ITS LABOUR

THIS IN THIS FORMAT WILL GIVE A FAIR BENCH MARK TO MOST PROJECTS AROUND.
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by uhuns: 11:11am On Apr 21, 2012
AT Emphasis
I WOULD LIKE YOU TO USE THE FORMAT ABOVE, AM IN PH I WOULD BE ABLE TO ASSIST TO GENERATE RATES THAT COMMON MAN WILL APPRECIATE:
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by lovejo(m): 12:26pm On Apr 21, 2012
I think to build is straight forward and direct, the finishing and interior can be more expensive than cost of erecting a building though al depends on taste.
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by lancee(m): 12:34pm On Apr 21, 2012
And mr Asog , so you must graduate from an Engineering school before you can build house , cos all these ur Engineering grammers you re Using to Badmouth Mr syders work taya meeoo
You can as well open up a thread so that we can learn from you or start something
mr Spyder great work u re doing here

1 Like

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 21, 2012
aasog1: [b]Good thread, but this isnt something you should encourage. What you have currently built here will definitely have some problems

1. You didnt post the plan of your structure....for everything called REAL construction, there has to be plan.
2. The foundation is about 2 feet high (which would give you loads of mess in future after roads has been graded and you have more houses around you). When you have heavy flooding in the future, Mr. you will be picking out all the snakes and frogs washed into your sitting room.
3. I can count the pillars. For chrissake, please indicate what engineering school you went! because if a strong wind hits your structure, those horrible blocks they sell all around will splinter) you need pillars, its your house not a chicken coops that must be managed. And with all that load your putting ontop of your house (lintel, woods, including the roof, your putting so much weight on such a fragile structure. Abeg!)
3. No clear planning....you didnt set out a fence (be it just through 2 or 3 coaches of blocks), and im not even sure if there is plans for parking lot, garden, etc....you are just building
4. This appears to be the type of defective project you see strewn all over ikorodu. Eventually, in 4 years time, you'd have a lot of spending to do on this structure....I guarantee you.

Anyways, you opened a great blog for those willing to spend 1million naira on a property. You should rename it, how to build your house Ijebu-style.

You were too harsh with your criticism of Mr. Spyder. I once spoke to you before about giving you a project, but for whatever reason, you never replied to some of my emails. I eventually gave it to another professional on nairaland in the name segcy-moore. You are not too far from my parent's homes at Amikanle and U-Turn area.
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by slam7000(m): 3:46pm On Apr 21, 2012
Good thread, but this isnt something you should encourage. What you have currently built here will definitely have some problems

[b]1. You didnt post the plan of your structure....for everything called REAL construction, there has to be plan.

@aasog1,

Are you being cynical or what??self build is something that should be encouraged but it should be done with the assistance and guidance of building experts[architect,surveyors etc] especially in nigeria,you,ll not only supervise and guard against fraudulent contractors and building materials suppliers,you,ll be on site to prevent so many malpractices going on at the site especially from the craftsmen.

Whats has counting the number of columns got to do with engineering school,i thought its architects who draw the plans and indicate the the no of columns and reinforcement bar specifications.could you please be more specific on what you meant by that.i noticed the building blocks were done insitu as against your insinuations that the blocks were bought around the corner.one major thing which nigerian builders have to improve on though is the quality of blocks,quality of concrete,mortar and craftsmanhip...concrete was mixed on the ground,which isnt right,the soil absorbs most of the water and eventual mixture is very defective,projects like the one above should,ve been done with a concrete mixer.blocks should be a mixture of cement and aggregate of gravel and sand but most builders use just cement and sand and the builders seem to prefer the hollow ones which should be filled with concrete mortar for added strength,most times they are not, you,ll observe that defect in most nigerian homes when you want to mount your LCD tv or hang pictures on the wall,once you drill or create a hole in the wall,it carves in and you,ll have to fill it with timber/wood for grip,hollow blocks filled with mortars will prevent this,even badly moulded block will have same problem..ie one that is improperly mixed and vibrated.
I noticed the mortar in the above isnt pliable thats why you sometimes have crude and untidy masonry.

The building above is a bungalow and even at that,theres is enough columns to bear the weight of the things you listed..ie lintel,timber and roofing.I thought you were going to question the quality of the columns or the that of bars.that house in my opinion is strong enough to bear the load,dont forget the interior is also demarcated by the blocks compared to most euro or american homes that use plaster boards.

I didnt see any ijebu syndrome in the posts,if you criticisms were borne out of the price tag,you should know that most estate agents in abuja and lagos would do the same at that cost and give you a price tag of N15m at the end of the day.
the poster might not be the best but i,ll give him kudos for being honest and magnanimous by sharing his experience with us.

6 Likes

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 21, 2012
@slam7000

[b]My apologies for been harsh. But building isnt a joke. Seriously, ive been getting several calls from Nairalander who made the mistakes of employing non pros, and following Mr. Spyder's advise only to discover alot wasnt right. Imagine someone having 2 plots in a place like admiralty way, lekki, only for the house to be loaded with error from the foundation to the roofing. There is one that we are contemplating full demolition because the foundation was too low, and the road of the street is way higher, and the house is too close to the road to create a raised "drive-in" to manipulate water during rain. Mr. Spyder is not an engineer, and hes committing a great deal of error, creating threads and making people get the feeling he is. Been an enthusiast doesnt make a football watcher a footballer. And he should kindly stop making people build structures that cant even pass any structural integrity test. Taking a "viberator machine" near that house, it would crumble in 1 minutes! And whoever hes building this house for should never use a lister generator if he doesnt want the roof to fall on his head one day!
And shame on lawyer for putting this on the front-page. Anyways, lawyer is more concerned about promoting his land deals, and his adverts. I guess he and Sypder are pals. Deal with this guy at your own peril.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by purefella(m): 5:07pm On Apr 21, 2012
aasog1: [b]Good thread, but this isnt something you should encourage. What you have currently built here will definitely have some problems

Are you educated at all Didn't spyder stated it clearly that he's trying to build a 4 bungalow for his client without breaking the BANK.,rubbish if you have quarrel with him go and face him in person!!!

1 Like

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Select(m): 5:18pm On Apr 21, 2012
You can get in touch for the processing of your Building Plan Approvals and Titled Documents( C of O, Govs. Consent, Ratificatn Cases, Buying of Property, Survey Plans etc), within Lagos, Ogun and Abuja.
I work as a Town Planning Officer/Consultant with the Lagos State Govt.
I can be reached via email - select500@yahoo.com or BB PIN- 3079A6DB
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by slam7000(m): 5:50pm On Apr 21, 2012
@aasog,

Your points are noted,i hope mr spyder is reading your comments as well,i believe he opened the thread to share his experience.
Personally i,ve benefitted a lot not just from his pictures and estimates but comments from guys like you as well.i followed @Am lone..thread and i learnt a lot from it,he confessed to making a big mistake with his roofing when he discovered the roofing sheets supplied and installed was substandard and he had to replace it,i worked with my father in law who is a builder here in the UK and i know lots of substandard products and lots of building malpractices abound in the building industry in nigeria,The aluminiun sheets used on most residential homes in nigeria are used for mainly industrial buildings here.residential buildings are done with slates of which the best is the welsh one which is purple in colour and can last more than 100yrs.I,ve never seen it used in nigeria even though lots of people can afford it.

I understand your concerns and do appreciate your comments but i,ll rather you criticised and pointed out the specific errors with a particular thread than attacking the person.im strongly against greedy and unscruplous agents who commit similar mistakes..ie build cheap houses like 4 bed bungalows with about N2m and list it as N25m..when such isnt up to N5m when you include the cost of land etc.
It,ll be silly for anyone to attempt to self build by following the threads here without consulting professionals.its like attempting to fly a plane by following the instructions from a manual.however you should remember that building challenges in lagos could be different from one in enugu or even jos..the fact that you have to raise the foundation as you stated more than 2ft in places like Ajah lagos doesnt mean you must do same in enugu,i was expecting you,d mention proper drainage and lack of gutters on most so called prestigious homes in nig.This malpractice in my opinion could contribute to a great deal of damp problem in home..you,ll notice lots of expensively done interiors very damp with the paints peeling off not long after completion.
Could you please do us a favour by posting some of the pictures of your works,i know a lot of people will love to see that.

5 Likes

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by lovejo(m): 5:51pm On Apr 21, 2012
when i was building my house it all went good until a friend of mine (engineer as usual ) came to for a visit and started condemning many things, later i discovered most engineers condemn for their pocket cos they did not handle from the beginning and want to proof their education, some people that do not pass through school have more experience than all this engineers. Engineers can tal but they can do nothing without all this people they are condemning.

5 Likes

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 21, 2012
Thank you to the poster for sharing his project. There is a poster that seems to have an issue, I suggest that the poster reconsider the tone of his post if he wants educated folks to take his concerns seriously.

I have a few comments, questions and observations.

I am still amazed at the very low quality of work doen by bricklayers in Nigeria, I have built retaining walls that have more unity than this. Though oen can argue that it will be covered by plaster eventually, but I wonder why there is no sense of pride of workmanship.

I am also puzzled at the lack of machinery to ease back breaking work.

Once were past the concrete foundation stage why couldn't this structure be raised on wood walls, at least the interior walls?

3 Likes

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 21, 2012
lovejo: when i was building my house it all went good until a friend of mine (engineer as usual ) came to for a visit and started condemning many things, later i discovered most engineers condemn for their pocket cos they did not handle from the beginning and want to proof their education, some people that do not pass through school have more experience than all this engineers. Engineers can tal but they can do nothing without all this people they are condemning.

Hmmm, no wonder those houses keep collapsing all over Nigeria. So Engineers should just watch when it isnt done right?
Im done on this thread. Same reason I quit nairaland property section. Nothing over there is professional, and when it is, lawyer the mod is doing it to sell this plots.
Wish spyder and his followers the best.

1 Like

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by princeonx: 7:41pm On Apr 21, 2012
Is this bad belle on spyder or what? Dude, the very fist time this guy (Spyder) started a thread about building, he invited everyone to share their ideas, experience, cost, problems, corrections, opinion, including bad mouthing! Where were you then? Someone mentioned "Am-alone", do you know how many times that guy made corrections to his house? Do you know how many workers he fired? Do you know how much ideas and corrections we/ppl learned from him? Look, I doubt if there's any housing project going on anywhere that an engineer won't site or complain about atleast one fault. Take an engineer to the seen of world trade center he will find one reason to give for the collapsing of those twin tower. I also doubt if there's any building project out there that they didn't cut corner due to cost/$$ at least once. A N5 million Naira bungalow will easily take N15m if you put it in the project so don't condemn a N1m Naira bungalow because you expected the owner to spend N4m Naira that he don't have to build it the way you want, know, or believe is right/standard. People build bungalow with or without pillars, people build bungalow with or without German floor and so on!
By the way am still thinking of the name of the engineer that build my grandfather's bungalow which is still standing for almost a century now.

7 Likes

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by princeonx: 7:45pm On Apr 21, 2012
aasog1: *

Hmmm, no wonder those houses keep collapsing all over Nigeria. So Engineers should just watch when it isnt done right?
Im done on this thread. Same reason I quit nairaland property section. Nothing over there is professional, and when it is, lawyer the mod is doing it to sell this plots.
Wish spyder and his followers the best.

And houses don't collaps in the western world and outside Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by lovejo(m): 8:01pm On Apr 21, 2012
prince_onx:

And houses don't collaps in the western world and outside Nigeria?
Don't mind assog, 2 engineers can't accept 2 simple facts cos one will want to believe is better than other, we are talking of simple bungalow he was talking of collapse in sense of high rise building.

1 Like

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 21, 2012
S̴̩☺̩ its this peaceful and straight forward thread that you hate mongers are spilling чυя wares on. Some people are just born to waste people's labour.
Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by FACE(m): 8:55pm On Apr 21, 2012

I tried to respond to you on this absolute bollocks without foundation but decided to wait for Spyder to put you in your place, but I can't take it any more. I am not a structural engineer but I am quite knowledgeable to challenge that rubbish you wrote.

1. You saw a building with well defined layout and you presumed the building has no plan because Mr Spyder did not post a plan. Are you for real or is this the case of know all know nothing ?

2. What do you mean by foundation is 2 feet high and the house is likely to be flood prone? What basis did you use to arrive at that conclusion ? Are you privy to the landscape and topography of the area or do you presume that all areas have to be elevated like the areas you know? In my field, just like structural engineering, you have to have facts and data to draw inferences or conclusions. What data did you use? Someone pointed out the use of drainage here and other factors, why do you think that Spyder did not consider the consequences of leaving the floor level at that height?

3. What makes you think that he is not following a structural spec for the building ? The building is a bungalow and top load on the foundation is not as much as the top load of a duplex on the foundation. The lintel of that building is chain linked and this helps to spread the load of the roof. The walls are in effect load bearing and the chained lintel (1) will help spread the load (2) make it possible for breaking of some walls in the future to link two areas together without much effect on the overall load bearing ability of the entire walls.

4. No fence. This has got to be the laff of the day. Dude what role does a perimeter fence play in the structural integrity of a house ? Parking lot and garden are the prerogative the owner and I can't see the bearing to the structure of the house.

5. If you have real issues here, please state them and stop "bad belleing" up and down.

9 Likes

Re: Reality Building Of A 4 Bedroom Bungalow by greatlee(m): 9:15pm On Apr 21, 2012
Nice one bro! May God help you to accomplish your desire.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost To Build A 3 Bedroom Flat. / POP DESIGN & TV WALL INSTALLATION / Building Of A 5 Bedroom Executive Duplex In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.