Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,587 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? (3424 Views)

Pictures Of The Car That Got Burnt At Onipan Bus Stop / Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / See The Car That Caused Commotion In Lagos On Easter Day...photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? by viperman: 9:35pm On Dec 29, 2011
Due to my nature of business I happen to have loads of calls daily from prospective clients here, and in some cases on some of our nigerian used cars, we experience something which i find very irritating, and annoying from customers. I will elucidate below:

A buyer calls you for a NIGERIAN USED car, and after discussing on the price and duration of use he/she asks one last question "Has the car been sprayed before". You answer "Yes, it has been re-sprayed", and the next-thing you hear is that the buyer is no longer interested in the car due to the respray done to the car.
This notion I have also heard other dealers complain about both online and offline. Its so not sensible to me why someone who wants to buy has used a car for say over a year in lagos(with the mad driving okada's and KEKE-NAPEPs)
Now, I would like to clarify-on and discuss this:

Does spraying a car mean the car is bad or not a good buy? Why will spraying a car de-value it, does polishing a shoe make the shoe bad?
Re: Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? by sultaan(m): 9:59pm On Dec 29, 2011
They think it has been in a wreck, so there could be hidden problems.
Re: Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? by Piedpiper(m): 9:32am On Dec 30, 2011
Sultaan,
95% of the time that is true !
Off course there is also the colour change out - white to another colour .
And the negligible pimping for neatness.
Re: Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? by viperman: 12:02pm On Dec 31, 2011
Piedpiper, most times, a lot of sellers i know just feel the need to 'refresh' the look of their car by respraying it not because its been involved in any form of accident.
Re: Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 31, 2011
Sometimes, it's best to sell an automobile with honestly-derived scratches and minor dents, that way prospective buyers know what they're getting. A respray can either be for cosmetic purposes, or can also hide a multitude of sins.

Personally, I'm really fussy about my automobile - if I'm interested in an automobile, and I find it's had a colour change, I might decline to buy it. If the colour change involved stripping the car completely - lights, bumpers, glass, doors, fenders, hood and trunk, along with all body trim, then I'll be interested, and complete the purchase.

But if it turns out the automobile had a colour change, without stripping her down, so all parts were masked off, I wouldn't touch it. That's a sub-standard way to paint an automobile, and shows a general nonchalance on the part of the seller. Some "bodyshops" even mask off the badges, how lazy is that?

It's such detail that could make or break a sale.
Re: Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? by viperman: 8:25pm On Dec 31, 2011
Siena:

Sometimes, [size=15pt][color=#000099]it's best to sell an automobile with honestly-derived scratches and minor dents, that way prospective buyers know what they're getting[/size]. A respray can either be for cosmetic purposes, or can also hide a multitude of sins.
.[/color]

True, its the best way to sell a car, but trust me many buyers will come and tell you they wont buy the car in such a state or those that will even want to buy will start claiming they have to STILL SPRAY it themselves so why not sell the car HALF your asking price. Sometimes, some buyers can really be insincere/double standard all to get massive discount, and its a very irritating scenario to find oneself

Siena:

Personally, I'm really fussy about my automobile - if I'm interested in an automobile, and I find it's had a colour change, I might decline to buy it. If the colour change involved stripping the car completely - lights, bumpers, glass, doors, fenders, hood and trunk, along with all body trim, then I'll be interested, and complete the purchase.

That's actually the professional way of spraying.
Re: Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2011
viperman:

That's actually the professional way of spraying.

That's actually the only way to paint a car, that would satisfy me. Unless it's just localised paint to correct minor dents or scratches.
Re: Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? by Nicols(m): 9:15pm On Dec 31, 2011
I am yet to see a car that is used in Nija for a year without any dent from Okadas, danfo and that glorified Okada called Keke Napep. I don't see anything wrong in re spraying such a car before selling. The truth is that most Nija buyers wants the best but they are not ready to pay extra cash for it. If yuo place an accidented car from overseas that was refurbished and resprayed here side-by-side with a well mentained Nija used car that is also resprayed, they'll be willing to cough out extra 700k to buy the Tokunbo car. Most people don't realise that it makes a lot of economic sense in buying Naija  used car. As long as I have a trusted mechanic who can confirm that the car is in a perfect condition, I don't care whether it is resprayed or not cause I don't use a car up to 3 yrs before I sell off.

For exaple, I bought a Nija used car at 650k some years back while its Tokunbo goes for 1.1m. Spent about 70k to refurbish it and after using it for a year, a colleague offered me 750k and I sold it to him. Would've lost a lot of money if I had bought it as Tokunbo. A pastor jus offered me an SUV at about 800k cheaper than it's Tokunbo counterpart and I discovered after inspection that this SUV has everything U'll find in a Tokunbo. should I change my my mind cause it had been resprayed during its 2 yrs of use in Nija? No. Why bother whether it has been resprayed or not when it is obvous that you can hardly use it up to 6 months without paying a visit to the spray painter? This doesn't make any sense to me.
Re: Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 31, 2011
^^^ I believe you're missing the point.

A car could be painted due to scratches and dents consistent with its age. It could also be painted due to heavy crash damage. With Nigeria's lack of records / databases, there's not muct to tell you why a car had a paint job, what lies under the shiny bodywork, or how well it was done.

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Here Got Tips For Someone Driving From Lagos To Abuja? / Stranded BMW I8 Owner Buys Fuel From Black Market / Please Advise: RX 350 2010/2012 Vs Toyota Highlander 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.