Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? (7827 Views)

Somebody Tell Benjamin Netanyahu That Igbo Are The Lost Tribe Of Gad! / Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? / I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by davidif: 5:52am On Feb 18, 2008
"We practiced circumcision like the Jews, and made offerings and feasts on that occasion in the same manner as they did. Like them also, our children were named from some event, some circumstance, or fancied foreboding at the time of their birth, we had many purifications a nd washings; indeed almost as many, and used on the same occasions, if my recollection does not fail me, as the Jews"

@elosela
The Yorubas do the same thing and several other tribes in Africa and Nigeria do the same thing but it does not make them Jews, by the way where is your source. The israeli's sent arms to everywhere in the continent wherever there was a civil war. Israel sells a lot of arms also if you don't know, just like the Russians sell the Kalashnikov rifle (AK-47), so the Israeli's sell Uzzi's.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by Nobody: 4:28am On Feb 26, 2008
IGBOS ARE JEWS;stale folktale
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by micklplus(m): 9:35am On Mar 07, 2008
smile4kenn:

I am not a Jew Man, am a Game Man

Word !
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by youngies(m): 10:59am On Mar 07, 2008
History

The Igbo appear to have settled in their present area thousands of years ago possibly from Egypt/Sudan.

The origin of the Igbo people is still a subject of speculation and debate. To give some directions in the issue, we must look at Nigeria's oldest Kingdom, the Nri Kingdom as well as oral tradition (through sometimes fragmentary) and genetics and linguistics.

, like any group of people, they are anxious to discover their origin and reconstruct how they came to be how they are. , their experiences under colonialsim and since Nigeria’s Independence have emphasized for them the reality of their group identity which they want to anchor into authenticated history.

Analysis of the sources available has led researchers to the Nri Kingdom. The Nri Kingdom is the oldest Kingdom in what is now known as Nigeria today. Exact dating of its establishment is not known and made even more obscure since modern day popular dating of the Nri Kingdom, 900AD, conflicts with the establishment of another in Nigeria, the Benin Kingdom which is also popularly dated to 900AD. Via Igbo oral tradition and studies and anthropological evidences, the Nri Kingdom was founded by the progenitor Eri(or Eru). Nri (founder of the Nri-Clan) was the son of Eri.

Speculation of the origin of the Igbo beings when one starts to trace the origin of Eri. By archeological account, in around 2345BC in Ancient Egypt, "M-Eru-ka (or Eru/Eri)" became a high priest to Pharaoh Teti. Because of this, the Egyptian origin of the Igbo people as many have insisted is also backed by linguistic evidences proving many Egyptian words survive in Igbo today and has led researchers to focus in this area.

According to Eze Nri, Nri-Enwelana II, the "Nri Kingdom is the oldest Kingdom in Nigeria. It was founded around 900AD by the progenitor, Eri, the son of Gad. According to biblical accounts, Jacob had Leah as his wife who begot four sons for him. When Leah noticed she had passed child-bearing age, she gave her maid – servant, Zilpah to Jacob to wife, and through Zilpah he had a son named Gad. Gad then bigot Eri, who later formed a clan known as Erites vide Genesis Chapter 30 verse 9; 46 verse 16 and Numbers chapter 26 verses 15-19. Eri was therefore amongst the twelve tribes of Israel via Gad."

"During their stay in Egypt Eri became the high priest and spiritual adviser to Pharaoh Teti, the fifth dynastic king of Egypt around 2400 BC."

"During the Exodus, which marked the beginning of the mass movement of the tribes of Israel, the tribe of Eri was amongst the tribe that left Egypt following the injunction from God to the Israelites (see Deuteronomy chapter 28 verses 58 – 68). Some of these tribes founded settlements in the southern part of Sudan, where they established the “Nok” culture, which is similar to that of other (sun Cult) culture, like Nri, Fiji, Samoa, and Jukun in the Northern part of Nigeria and elsewhere.

But others who could not remain in the Southern Sudan traveled further South, some branched off to Jukun, in Northern part of Nigeria, others continued and arrived at the confluence of Rivers Niger and Anambara known as “Ezu-na-Ọmambala” and settled there while some veered off to the Island of Fiji in the South Pacific Ocean. An intelligence report notes that the Fijians have the same sun culture with the people of Nri."

"However, the Hebriac/Egyptian origins theory is the official account of the present Eze Nri, Nri-Enwelana II, who went further to trace Eri’s origin to the biblical Eri (the son of Gad, the son of Jacob)."

In addition to the pattern of evidences of migration from Egypt, other people also entered the Igbo territory in about the fourteenth or fifteenth centuries. Many of these people still exhibit different characteristics from that of the traditional Igbo people – for example geographical marginality, the institution of kingship, a hierarchical title system.

The Igbo word "Igbo" is now used in three senses, to describe Igbo territory, to identify the Igbo people (whether they speak the Igbo language or not) and to Identify the language spoken by Igbo people.(see (A.E. Afigbo,1981: Ropes of Sand, Caxton Press,Ibadan. and T. Shaw:1970; "Igbo Ukwu: An Account of Archaeological Discoveries in Eastern Nigeria", Faber and Faber, pp. 268-285).

http://www.answers.com/igbo
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by bababuff(m): 3:44pm On Mar 07, 2008
@youngies

Look your story is inconsistent. See below

youngies:

Speculation of the origin of the Igbo beings when one starts to trace the origin of Eri. By archeological account, in around 2345BC in Ancient Egypt, "M-Eru-ka (or Eru/Eri)" became a high priest to Pharaoh Teti. Because of this, the Egyptian origin of the Igbo people as many have insisted is also backed by linguistic evidences proving many Egyptian words survive in Igbo today and has led researchers to focus in this area.

According to Eze Nri, Nri-Enwelana II, the "Nri Kingdom is the oldest Kingdom in Nigeria. It was founded around 900AD by the progenitor, Eri, the son of Gad. According to biblical accounts, Jacob had Leah as his wife who begot four sons for him. When Leah noticed she had passed child-bearing age, she gave her maid – servant, Zilpah to Jacob to wife, and through Zilpah he had a son named Gad. Gad then bigot Eri, who later formed a clan known as Erites vide Genesis Chapter 30 verse 9; 46 verse 16 and Numbers chapter 26 verses 15-19. Eri was therefore amongst the twelve tribes of Israel via Gad."

In 2345BC Eri was high priest in Egypt, the same Eri lived till 900AD to now be the founder of the "Nri kingdom". Haba, my brother check your facts. I'm not saying you are wrong or right but i dodon'think Eri would have lived that long. (2345BC - 900AD) at least.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by davidif: 9:06pm On Mar 07, 2008
@youngies
That's not a credible source at all. Its amazing how many people would believe anything on the internet. Why must you feel that that to be special, you have to be related to the Jews, why can't you be proud of yourself as an individual. Na inferiority complext dey worry us sha. The belief that white people are better than us, what nonsense, that's the lasting legacy of colonialism. Thank God the white people didn't stay past 1960, we would have ended up like South Africa.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by JayFK(m): 3:35am On Mar 09, 2008
I'm sure if Igbos are Jews it would have been proven by now. There are ways of testing such things, Igbos do not share the same mtDNA Haplogroup as Jews. Stop trying to claim Jewish ancestry, it gets annoying after a while.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by henry007(m): 3:40am On Mar 09, 2008
does it really matter wat we are? ok we are jews, how has dat helped so far. besides where is the jewish nose to prove it . abeg, talk better wetin angry angry angry angry
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by youngies(m): 10:58am On Mar 11, 2008
bababuff:

@youngies

In 2345BC Eri was high priest in Egypt, the same Eri lived till 900AD to now be the founder of the "Nri kingdom". Haba, my brother check your facts. I'm not saying you are wrong or right but i dodon'think Eri would have lived that long. (2345BC - 900AD) at least.

I am not the originator of the story, so whatevere the percieved inconsistency cannot be attributed to me. I simply pasted what I found and also provided the source.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by fayahsoul: 2:42am On Jan 07, 2009
bababuff:

@youngies

My friend read correctly. Eri wasn't the founder of "Nri kingdom", it was his descendant Nri that did.

@ all

There's no such thing as a jew. There's no J in the hebraic alphabets. The so-called jews at is-real-lie/israel are imposters. They are kazaars who have no historical nor biological connection to that land (canaan). Do yourselves a favour and do some research on the history of the kazaars.

The true God elect are the descendants of alkebulan(so-called black africans).

FYI: civilization spreads from south to north and not north to south. Alkebulanites took civilization to the north(kemet,arabia,nubia,ethiopia etc) and other continents before fleeing back south upon a series of invasions by persian, white and arab invaders.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by Ifygurl: 3:37am On Jan 07, 2009
Igbos are Jews
Igbos are ethiopian
Igbos are Egyptian
Igbos are this and that

abeg, ENOUGH ALREADY
Igbos are Igbos.
I'm not Jewish.
Enough Already
Igbos are IGBOS. A tribe found in West Africa.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by OgidiBoy(m): 3:41am On Jan 07, 2009
Ifygurl:

Igbos are Jews
Igbos are ethiopian
Igbos are Egyptian
Igbos are this and that

abeg, ENOUGH ALREADY
Igbos are Igbos.
I'm not Jewish.
Enough Already

Speak for yourself, I'm a freaking Igbo Jew. My father's father is from Israel grin
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by Ifygurl: 3:49am On Jan 07, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Speak for yourself, I'm a freaking Igbo Jew. My father's father is from Israel grin

Well Good for you.

oh and by the way, did you know in Jewish community, inheritage is different than Nigeria's.
To claim Jewish, You're mother has to be a jew or your mother's mother.
One of my best friend is from Isreal. That's something i learned from her.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by Nobody: 5:28am On Jan 07, 2009
Ifygurl:

Igbos are Jews
Igbos are ethiopian
Igbos are Egyptian
Igbos are this and that

abeg, ENOUGH ALREADY
Igbos are Igbos.
I'm not Jewish.
Enough Already
Igbos are IGBOS.  A tribe found in West Africa.

Ify where you de? everywhere I see your comments it's always not biased maybe one. Nna babe I don taya for my Igbo brothers ooo. Why be say na only some Igbos abroad de yan like this? undecided most of my friends weh be Igbo just de so proud and and feel so blessed to be black. We even get group for high school back then weh be Nubia kings. I can't believe some I've met from brooklyn to Toronto. them just de yan say them be Biafran not Nigeria and how them be the chosen ones that have been maltreated by Yorubas and Hausas. Making my Yoruba yansh look bad in front of our African American and Jamaican friends sad. And I no sabi argue cause I was born like 20yrs after Biafra so I no sabi wetin happen.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by fayahsoul: 5:39am On Jan 07, 2009
Ifygurl:

Well Good for you.

oh and by the way, did you know in Jewish community, inheritage is different than Nigeria's.
To claim Jewish, You're mother has to be a jew or your mother's mother.
One of my best friend is from Isreal. That's something i learned from her.

There's no such thing as a jew. Whatever those impostors do over there in is-real-lie/israel is nothing but a falsification of what we had. Don't you get it?
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by fayahsoul: 5:47am On Jan 07, 2009
Ifygurl:

abeg, ENOUGH ALREADY
Igbos are Igbos.
I'm not Jewish.
Enough Already

You call a group of people with a population of over 40 million a tribe?  A population larger than that of canada. Why do you insult yourself? You just parrot your colonial masters lies.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by Magz(m): 9:32pm On Jan 07, 2009
I don't doubt it. Halie Selassie I was a Jew. Yep, direct descendant of David. But I think the guy maybe got it right who said that the Jews could be descendants of the Igbo, not the other way around.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by Ifygurl: 6:58am On Jan 11, 2009
9jaganja:

Ify where you de? everywhere I see your comments it's always not biased maybe one. Nna babe I don taya for my Igbo brothers ooo. Why be say na only some Igbos abroad de yan like this? undecided most of my friends weh be Igbo just de so proud and and feel so blessed to be black. We even get group for high school back then weh be Nubia kings. I can't believe some I've met from brooklyn to Toronto. them just de yan say them be Biafran not Nigeria and how them be the chosen ones that have been maltreated by Yorubas and Hausas. Making my Yoruba yansh look bad in front of our African American and Jamaican friends sad. And I no sabi argue cause I was born like 20yrs after Biafra so I no sabi wetin happen.

I don't understand why?  I love my people but all this is starting to give me a headache. The thing pissing me off is that Africa is in a mess because many African tribes/nation would rather claim some foreign country than their own.  Take Sudan for example.
Hell even Fulani.  All the fulani's i've met including my grandfather would rather claim Egypt or Saudi Arabia as their original homeland rather than their own.  Tufia. Me, i'm Igbo from Nigeria. I don't know where my ancestors came from but right now we are in Nigeria and that's where i'll claim my ancestors came from. 
N-way, when was i biased at?
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:04am On Jan 11, 2009
Igbos are French. We originated from Gaul.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by Magz(m): 8:22pm On Jan 11, 2009
bababuff:

@youngies

Eri was a people, not a person. You have to understand that in the Bible, many things are written in a figurative manner that we often take literally. Names frequently are not the actual names of people, but are whole towns, tribes kingdoms or other regions. For instance: what we know as "Adam and Eve" really means "Man and Life". Adam was an ancient Hebrew term meaning Man and Eve was a term that means Life. But we read it and think that these are literally the first two people on Earth. Not so. How do you think that "people" in the Bible lived for hundreds or even thoudands of years? The answer is that these were not single "people" at all, but were entire tribes of people who lived together.

b t w though, that date "2345 b.c" is odviously very incorrect. It should read something else,
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by TheClown: 7:58pm On Jun 27, 2010
Igbos are not Jews. Archeological evidences proved that the presence of the Igbos tribe in the eastern Nigeria predates the migration of Abraham from persia to canaan. The Igbos are an ancient bushmen that dwelt in the rain forest of the eastern Nigeria for more than five thousand years back! Their potteries have not changed much!
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by SLIGHT(m): 4:47am On Jun 29, 2010
@ifygurl, are u a fulani and igbo at the same time? @topic: igbos originated frm babel after the language mix up!
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by madlady(f): 7:59am On Jun 29, 2010
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:23pm On Jun 29, 2010
If Eri/Nri people are Jews/Hebrews then let us simply say that Eri/Nri people are Jews/Hebrews; not the rest of Igbo.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by madlady(f): 12:37pm On Jun 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

If Eri/Nri people are Jews/Hebrews then let us simply say that Eri/Nri people are Jews/Hebrews; not the rest of Igbo.

Can you explain? if you have the time.
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:16pm On Jun 29, 2010
Long story short, madlady, the Igbo are a heterogeneous bunch. For that reason, Eri/Nri are on their own. They don't equate to the rest of Igbo. So it would be wrong to call the Igbo "Jews/Hebrews" just because the Eri/Nri are thought of/called/considered to be "Jews/Hebrews".
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by madlady(f): 2:35pm On Jun 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Long story short, madlady, the Igbo are a heterogeneous bunch. For that reason, Eri/Nri are on their own. They don't equate to the rest of Igbo. So it would be wrong to call the Igbo "Jews/Hebrews" just because the Eri/Nri are thought of/called/considered to be "Jews/Hebrews".

I see, that's very similar to Jamaica.

I really would like to know more about this community, real information seems hard to find. Thanks. smiley
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by anitabest(f): 2:19pm On Jun 30, 2010
please for your information, we igbo's are not jews as you said, but you. hahahahahhahhaha
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:33am On Jul 02, 2010
madlady:

I really would like to know more about this community, real information seems hard to find. Thanks. smiley
If you mean the Nri, then you can visit their website here: http://www.nrikingdom.com/
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by madlady(f): 6:33am On Jul 04, 2010
ChinenyeN:

If you mean the Nri, then you can visit their website here: http://www.nrikingdom.com/

@ChinenyeN, thank you very much for the link, we all looked at the posts on that site.

We needed more information but sadly their seems to be a problem with their membership enrollment form undecided
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:27pm On Jul 04, 2010
I know the site has links to various other Nri-related sites as well as various articles. What kind of information are you looking for, exactly?
Re: Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? by beonye: 1:40pm On Oct 09, 2010
Ephramites are from ephraim, Gadites are from Gad. manassheites are from manessah, levites are from levi,as jews are from the tribe of Judah. It is wrong and insulting to refer to an ephramite or Gad as a jew or to categorise all hebrews as jews. They decended from various tribes not just from one tribe. Igbos are hebrews not jews. The nationality is hebrew, the tribes are 12.

Originally hebrews are black, Judges 16: 19, " And she mad him sleep on her knees and called for a man and shave off the seven locks of his head", i.e (modern day, dred locked hair).

Further confirmation of igbos as hebrews can be seen, which was done this year 2010 can be seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsHYdL0UTR4

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peter Tosh In Nigeria / Yoruba Phenomenon Of The Day / Do you want a wife from Oraifite ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.