Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! (19400 Views)

There Are No Political Killings In Rivers, Only Cult Clashes – Wike / FG Moves To Check Fulani Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes / Clashes In Plateau Leaves 48 Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by OmoTier1(m): 2:31pm On Jan 01, 2012
tlops:

Just as I was Thanking God for a successful and peaceful crossover to 2012, with no news on Nigeria's bombing spree, I tuned to BBC only to hear that we have done it again with 50 death. God SOS!
Actually this happened on the 30th/31st and it was on Aljazeera and Reuters. But in all its a despicable act which should be condemned in its entirety.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by AjCityOne: 2:32pm On Jan 01, 2012
I don't understand why killing of innocent people in Ebonyi has anything to do with Yoruba people. But then again, when people really doesn't have any meaningful things to contribute or argue about they start to hide behind ethnic bigotry. I've read all the comments on this thread and not even one person try to make me understand what was going on in Ebonyi that lead to the killing of all these people. This killing just happened in Igbo land and non of the so called Igbo people here have nothing to tell the non igbo and the outside world what was the reason behind this cowardice killing. Stop this nonsense and focus on the real issue.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Gayigaskia(m): 2:48pm On Jan 01, 2012
I'm yet to see the reaction of BEAF in this post, did the CORE NORTH instigated this too?
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by rabzy01: 2:51pm On Jan 01, 2012
Why is it that the Ibos are always the last? Is it now that the FRESH AIR reached iboland? GEJ should declare state of EMERGENCE (not emergency) on these communities for their ability to be the last to breath his fresh air in 2011. Be sure the perpetrotors are not terrorists yet but militants. Know why? They are Ibos not Hausas, christians not muslims.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by OmoTier1(m): 2:54pm On Jan 01, 2012
AjCityOne:

I don't understand why killing of innocent people in Ebonyi has anything to do with Yoruba people. But then again, when people really doesn't have any meaningful things to contribute or argue about they start to hide behind ethnic bigotry. I've read all the comments on this thread and not even one person try to make me understand what was going on in Ebonyi that lead to the killing of all these people. This killing just happened in Igbo land and non of the so called Igbo people here have nothing to tell the non igbo and the outside world what was the reason behind this cowardice killing. Stop this nonsense and focus on the real issue.
Please read this: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-416730.0.html
Tells us all you need to know about this shameless killings!
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by OmoTier1(m): 2:57pm On Jan 01, 2012
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=169074

"By Chinedu Eze, 03.21.2010

The communal clash between the people of Ezillo clan who are the aborigines and the Ezza settlers over struggle for land has claimed four prominent people from Cross Rive State. The quartet were burnt to death during the week on an emissary to the troubled community.

Report said mercenaries allegedly employed by the Ezzas killed and burnt to death the victims who were on their way to Ogoja through the Enugu-Abakaliki highway that cuts through the warring community and that their four-wheel-drive vehicle with the number, LN 304 AAA, belonging to a director in the Federal Civil Service who was also killed in the incident, was also burnt down.
THISDAY learnt that Cross River State Government sent a delegation to Ebonyi State Government on Tuesday, protesting the killings and the state government is striving to end the crisis by any possible means.

Besides the aforementioned, other killings have been taking place along the highway and in the various villages of the community.
According to eye witness account, the crisis is still on-going in spite of all the efforts to end it because the Ezzas who have dominant population in the state refused to resettle in portion of land given to them by the state government, while the Ezillo people defiantly insisted that the Ezzas, known as Ezza Ezillos must leave the community.

The clash which started on May 10, 2008 has claimed more than 600 lives with property worth more than N1 billion destroyed.
A senior official of the Ebonyi state government told THISDAY that efforts made by the state government to reconcile the two warring clans ended in futility as political interests seem to have suffused the major reason why the crisis started, which is the resistant of the Ezillos against alleged plan of the Ezza settlers to take over the community by their superior population and overwhelming wealth.

But the Ezzas have dismissed the fears, alleging that the Ezillos had always wanted to force them out of the community, which became their home way back in the 1930s, when their great grand fathers were invited to help Ezillos fight their neighbours in the enduring struggle for land.
A prominent son of Ezillo and a public servant in the state told THISDAY at the weekend that Ezillo people are eager to make peace, complaining that Ezza people have engaged in guerilla warfare to exterminate the Ezillos, adding that to make peace both parties should make sacrifices.

THISDAY also gathered that the Ezzas who rejected the place given to them in the community by the state government, arguing that it was a stream of land that lies in the boundary between two communities, requested that one half of the community should be allocated to them, while the Ezillos reject such request, insisting that they could only concede what government has already given to the Ezza Ezillos.
“Government moved from the initial 52.5 hectares of land given to them and enlarged it to 306. 29 hectares; this is additional landmass of 253.5 hectares as contained in the broadcast of the governor, Chief Martin Elechi,” a source told THISDAY.
But Ignatius Nwali from the Ezza clan told THISDAY that his people decided to continue to launch attacks because in the past whenever a truce was agreed on the Ezillo people would break it and they would be caught unawares, noting that until their own conditions are met they would not stop the fight.

“The area that Ezza people want is on this side of Ebonyi River . Due to the good relationship and good co-existence our grandfathers had with their grandfathers they agreed to live together. But since they want to flush us out or eliminate or prevent us from enjoying the fruit of the labour of our grandfathers, we have requested that we live at one side of the community. The land where we live before, we are ready to forfeit— those land at the other side of Ebonyi River is what we want. That is what we want now.”
Dr Onyekachi Eni, Chief Press Secretary to the Ebonyi State Governor told THISDAY, “Since this crisis broke out, Governor Martin Elechi has left no stone unturned to resolve it. He has been personally involved in the various peace building initiatives of the state government."
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 01, 2012
Nigerians need to see things beyond ethnic lines. I cannot comprehend the very  reason why the citizens from different ethnicity cannot resort to civilized ways of ironing out issues than killing themselves. This doesn't tell good of the people and it only explains how ignorance still plays a larger role in many of the evils which take place in the country.

To address this problem and find a lasting solution there has to be a call for national unity and enlightenment of different ethnic groups about what bind them as fellow Nigerians, as brothers and sisters in the struggle for better life for all. I don't understand how long the people are going to harbor such hatred against one another living in the same community. Taking the laws into their own hands by slaughtering human beings as if they were meats met to be eaten. I cannot decipher the reason why people think killing is always the way out.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by DaRapture: 4:59pm On Jan 01, 2012
Nigeria is a lost cause. Nigeria is a waste of good land. Damn shame a more civil people were not chosen to be that regions Native occupants. angry
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by betadaz: 5:22pm On Jan 01, 2012
Dispute so easy to resolve, FG should take over the entire land, secure it and build army barracks.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Adexchelsea19(m): 5:43pm On Jan 01, 2012
betadaz:

Dispute so easy to resolve, FG should take over the entire land, secure it and build army barracks.
lol.Dats the best solution!!
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by OmoTier1(m): 5:54pm On Jan 01, 2012
betadaz:

Which FG? The coward called GEJ? Has He got a clue what to do with Nigeria? Do you think He cares? Hvae you heard a word from the FG since this news broke out? , Now you know the idiot you have as a President
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Limaoscar: 7:47pm On Jan 01, 2012
Why I do not support the Feud between Nchara and Bluetooth. It was clearly the later that provoked this whole tribal bruhaha here.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by agubata111: 7:59pm On Jan 01, 2012
This bloody lifestyle is nt d character of ndigbo. Islamic missionaries r @ work indoctrinatin dz poverty stricken ebonyians.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by ismhab(m): 8:11pm On Jan 01, 2012
dogs eat dogs, this donkeys and pigs are drunk.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by kulgee001(m): 8:40pm On Jan 01, 2012
No Buhari, Northern politicians or the so-called 'Boko Haram' to blame for this one, So where is the talk about Northerners being savages?
Just saw the scene on AIT and It's just a horrible scene. Nigerians are something else and to think the dispute is over land, its just so disheartening. SOS, Oh Lord!
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by kulgee001(m): 8:50pm On Jan 01, 2012
rabzy01:

Why is it that the Ibos are always the last? Is it now that the FRESH AIR reached iboland? GEJ should declare state of EMERGENCE (not emergency) on these communities for their ability to be the last to breath his fresh air in 2011. Be sure the perpetrotors are not terrorists yet but militants. Know why? They are Ibos not Hausas, christians not muslims.

Good point you've made at the ending there. I heard the reporter calling the perpetrators militants. We need to be true to ourselves. This is a terrorist act or is it because (as rabzy01 pointed out) they are ibos not hausas, christains not muslims?
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by ak47mann(m): 9:19pm On Jan 01, 2012
people of( ezza) migrated from middle-belt yrs ago,they scattered all over ebony state and they have been fighting for land dispute cos of fertile land in the state,and looking at the geographical map,u will see that the state got boundaries with two different regions.

ebony is mix with settlers,
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Chyz2: 9:30pm On Jan 01, 2012
ak47mann:

people of( ezza) migrated from middle-belt yrs ago,they scattered all over ebony state and they have been fighting for land dispute cos of fertile land in the state,and looking at the geographical map,u will see that the state got boundaries with two different regions.

ebony is mix with settlers,

they are unigbo-like.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by ektbear: 9:41pm On Jan 01, 2012
@ak47mann: When did the Ezza migrate to Ebonyi?

Btw is this accurate:

But the Ezzas have dismissed the fears, alleging that the Ezillos had always wanted to force them out of the community, which became their home way back in the 1930s, when their great grand fathers were invited to help Ezillos fight their neighbours in the enduring struggle for land.

If so, where did they live before 1930?
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by ak47mann(m): 9:52pm On Jan 01, 2012
Chyz*:

they are unigbo-like.
yes!! they are not,the thing is those groups are trying to capture many lands from the indigenous ebonians,this is not the first time they have strike,state government should try and settle them,there ancestors have been living with the ebonians for over 3 centuries, so to me they are indigenous and part of old Abakaliki division of Enugu State and old Afikpo division of Abia State and cross rivers to the east.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Chyz2: 9:57pm On Jan 01, 2012
The Ezza have their own particular land. They are a big clan,especially when compared to Ezilo. They were in Ezza land before they were invited by the Ezilo to fight the Ngwo. The Ezza there are now called Ezza-Ezilo and are trying to expand outside of ther land that was given to them by the Ezilo. Whenever those Ezza in Ezilo land are abused by the Ezilo the Ezza people go and call there people from their real land,which is a lot of them, then they unleash havoc. Both Ezza and Ezilo clans are treacherous people thats why when they war they war big.

Kinda reminds me of the Aros.When they use to get their butts kicked, they got tired of it, then seeked help from the Ohafia and Abiriba clans. grin
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by ak47mann(m): 10:10pm On Jan 01, 2012
ekt_bear:

@ak47mann: When did the Ezza migrate to Ebonyi?

Btw is this accurate:
If so, where did they live before 1930?
am not too sure about the accuracy,but what i was told they came from middle-belt i think they were originally from benue state,they were trading with igbos from afikpo and abakiliki clans years ago, some of them later settled in the land and mix with the rest of the indigenous,and even their igbo dilate is very different from others, i cant even understand them when they speak,
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Abagworo(m): 10:12pm On Jan 01, 2012
Just like I noted in one of my threads in the culture section, Igbos are not culturally fused both in religion and practises. Language is almost the only solid unifying factor and that makes us vulnerable to disintegration just like the larger Nigeria. I've not said that intra-ethnic clashes do not occur in other parts of Nigeria but I've come to notice too much migratory mix amongst Igbos even at village level. Apart from the Isuama and Nri/Awka area where many clans are descendants of either Nri or Ngidi, most other Igbos traditionally view themselves as totally different from the next clan. Our grand fathers almost succeeded in removing this divisive trait through the "Ibo Union" only for it to be used as a war weapon in the unfortunate war of the late 60s. We need an Igbo conference to determine who is Igbo and how we can live as one without this intra-ethnic suspect.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jan 01, 2012
So who is winning in the killing competition now ? Ezza a.k.a sunni or ezillo a.k.a shite !
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by ak47mann(m): 10:18pm On Jan 01, 2012
Chyz*:

The Ezza have their own particular land. They are a big clan,especially when compared to Ezilo. They were in Ezza land before they were invited by the Ezilo to fight the Ngwo. The Ezza there are now called Ezza-Ezilo and are trying to expand outside of ther land that was given to them by the Ezilo. When ever those Ezza ib Ezilo land are abused by the Ezilo the Ezza people go and call there people from their real land,which is a lot of them, then they unleash havoc. Both Ezza and Ezilo clans are treacherous people thats why when they war they war big.

kinda reminds me of the Aros.When they use to get there butts kick they got tired of it then seeked help from the Ohafia and Abiriba clans. grin
that is the thing, ezzilo invited them and use them to fight for lands, now is hunting others,ezzilla clans are war people,

bolded is very funny cheesy cheesy
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Abagworo(m): 10:19pm On Jan 01, 2012
ak47mann:

am not too sure about the accuracy,but what i was told they came from middle-belt i think they were originally from benue state,they were trading with igbos from afikpo and abakiliki clans years ago, so of them later settled in the land and mix with the rest of the indigenous,and even their igbo dilate is very different from others, i cant even understand them when they speak,

You need verification please. Ezza are indigenous to Abakiliki and not migrants from anywhere. They are the biggest tribe in Ebonyi State. Ezillo is a much smaller tribe that needed Ezza to help them fight a war which they rewarded with piece of land. The Ezzas in Ezillo are known as Ezza-Ezillo. They are like the Abam in Nkwerre or Aro in Izuogu.

As a non travelled Igbo man, you can neither understand Ezza nor Ezillo nor Izzi nor Ehugbo.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by ak47mann(m): 10:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
Abagworo:

You need verification please. Ezza are indigenous to Abakiliki and not migrants from anywhere. They are the biggest tribe in Ebonyi State. Ezillo is a much smaller tribe that needed Ezza to help them fight a war which they rewarded with piece of land. The Ezzas in Ezillo are known as Ezza-Ezillo. They are like the Abam in Nkwerre or Aro in Izuogu.

As a non travelled Igbo man, you can neither understand Ezza nor Ezillo nor Izzi nor Ehugbo.
ok fine, cool cool am still studying ebony state not too familiar about them cool
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by ektbear: 10:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
Is this really about "who is Igbo" though, Abagworo?

Seems more like settler/indigene.

Probably the Ezillo only intended to have the Ezza as tenants on the land, but the Ezza wanted full land rights.

The more I read about this the more it seems basically like Ife/Modakeke.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by ak47mann(m): 10:29pm On Jan 01, 2012
^^^

exactly cool
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Otunne1: 10:32pm On Jan 01, 2012
it seems awusa people are really happy.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by hugafella(m): 11:28pm On Jan 01, 2012
Ebonyi state is generally the most backward state in the south east. And the Ezza tribe are generally very backward, hot tempered and violent species. Ask anyone who has been to that state. It takes just five minutes of conversation with them to see how impossible they are. (this is true for many tribes in the state)

However, it will be interesting to note that many tribes in Ebonyi state do not speak Ibo. I mean ibos don't understand their language. For example, the Ntezi people have Benue ancestry, and speak an entirely different language than Ibo.

Finally, Mr. Bluetooth, you should grow up and stop seeing everything through the lens of Ibo/yoruba. I'm sure your parents brought you up with this mentality but you can learn to change. God bless.
Re: Ethnic Clashes In Ebonyi, Another Slaughter! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:41am On Jan 02, 2012
These ezza are starting to come across as Tiv/Idoma mix in igbo clothing. I knew we couldn't keep the Tiv out forever.  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CAN Congratulates Buhari, Advises Him On Cabinet Selection / LASG Appeals To Residents To Stop Burning Tires On Tarred Road Surfaces / Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.