Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,328 members, 7,954,324 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:42 PM

Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ (2641 Views)

VP Osinbajo Lambasts Northern Leaders / Defection: Bianca Ojukwu Lambasts Peter Obi, Shuns Ex-gov In Netherlands / AASU Disowns Bode George, Says No Plan To Honour Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 7:06pm On Oct 04, 2007
Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka this morning lambasted former military president, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (retd), saying he is not fit to be in the gathering of writers whom he hated so much while he was the head of state. The playwright took a swipe at Babangida at a press briefing he addressed this afternoon ahead of the NLNG Awards Night which Babangida was invited to attend and which comes up tonight at the MUSON Centre, Onikan, Lagos.

Babangida was invited by the organisers as the keynote speaker. In the past, Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, Dele Olojede, Bath Nnaji and Chief Folake Sholanke, the first female Senior Advocate of Nigeria, were the keynote speakers.

Soyinka said he was not opposed to the organisers inviting Babangida to any of its functions but certainly not to a gathering of writers.

He said writers stand for life, democracy, human rights, etc. whereas Babangida was opposed to all these and even killed Maman Vatsa, who was not only a soldier but a writer, over a trump up charge of coup plotting.
Soyinka said Babangida was so callous that when Vatsa’s wife challenged his action, he told her that Vatsa’s life was not more precious than the lives of other victims of the alleged coup plot that were snuffed out.

He said Babangida could be invited to attend chamber of commerce meetings and other social events, not to a gathering of writers with whom he shares nothing in common.

He also lambasted Godwin Daboh, Babangida’s acolyte, who published a paid avertisement lampooning those opposed to Babangida’s invitation to the LNG lecture.

Soyinka said Daboh is a liar and asked him to refund the money he (Soyinka) gave him during the June 12 struggle.

He said Daboh had approached him to assist him with money to pay his daughter’s school fees, adding that now that Daboh has enough money to sponsor an advertorial, he should be in a position to refund the money he took from him years ago.

There has been furore over the invitation of Babangida for the upcoming annual NLNG Awards Night which the creme of Nigerian writers are also billed to attend.

http://www.thenewsng.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3553
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 7:11pm On Oct 04, 2007
I am loving this development and drama.
Mamajama:

He also lambasted Godwin Daboh, Babangida’s acolyte, who published a paid avertisement lampooning those opposed to Babangida’s invitation to the LNG lecture.

Soyinka said Daboh is a liar and asked him to refund the money he (Soyinka) gave him during the June 12 struggle.

He said Daboh had approached him to assist him with money to pay his daughter’s school fees, adding that now that Daboh has enough money to sponsor an advertorial, he should be in a position to refund the money he took from him years ago.

http://www.thenewsng.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3553

UNCLE SOYINKA the only question I have for you now is.

were you not part of IBB team? didnt didn'tell out by accepting a post from this RUTHLESS RULER?
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by BigB11(m): 7:20pm On Oct 04, 2007
May be Ehindero should be elected to go and arrest IBB for all these allegation.
My man, all these IBB topics are now becoming ineffectual; it's time for you to discover other tactics.

Don't you think so?
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 7:30pm On Oct 04, 2007
BIGB1 I have nothing against your father IBB. If you are smart enough you will know I had nothing to do with this writtings

I just find it amusing that the same SOYINKA that you was praising couple months ago as one of the best writer in Africa is now turning his back on your dad

Where did the GARI WATER GO SOUR is my question?

At least Nigeria is a free country and Soyinka is free to voice his opinion which most of us have be screaming for

PEACE
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by BigB11(m): 7:39pm On Oct 04, 2007
Hey,
For the last time, IBB is not my father.

Now back to the topic:
This is democracy; freedom of speech. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, people are free to express themselves.
IBB is too intelligent and purely understands this fact, hence you will never never hear anything regarding this issue from him; and if you do, it would be nothing but respect for Mr Soyinka's point of view and accomplishment.

One day you're up in the sky and the next day you're down on the floor ( all in the hands of your supporters) That is the name of the game.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 7:55pm On Oct 04, 2007
Big B1:

Hey,
For the last time, IBB is not my father.

Who are you trying to deceive? IBB is a man of no class let the truth be told. The only thing he is good at is manipulating and dribbling Nigerians like fool

Gone are those days, we are more out spoken and rebellious now.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by IykeD1(m): 10:33pm On Oct 04, 2007
@BigB1,

I was enjoying seeing both of you fight usual and I couldn't help but wonder
how you seem to "know" IBB so well - it's like you can read his mind, at least
that's how you sound 99% of the time smiley
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 04, 2007
IBB is a criminal and no amount of bogus LNG awards can change that.

@ Mamajama

what you need to remember is that in politics there is no permanent friend or foe. Only permanent interests.Soyinka accepted to serve under IBB so that he could implement the FRSC and reduce the loss of precious human lives on our roads. That was for the greater good. Everybody in this country benefited from the FRSC for a number of years before the useful essence of the commission was consumed by corruption.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 4:07pm On Oct 05, 2007
INTERESTING ANALOGY

NOBEL laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka's tone dripped with anger yesterday as he condemned the invitation of former Head of State, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida to deliver a keynote address at the NLNG Literary Awards holding tomorrow in Lagos. He called on all members of the literary family to boycott the ceremony, saying the former military President not only places no value on human lives but is actually an enemy of humanity.

At a press conference yesterday in Lagos, Soyinka stated that as an undemocratic person, Babangida lacks the moral right to address a literary gathering, stressing that his regime paved the way for bad leadership under which the country still reels.

"Babangida subverted democracy, so he has no business addressing the literary community. He laid the ground on which people like Sani Abacha and Obasanjo were able to build. The whole thing started during his period in office."

Soyinka also recalled the execution of former Federal Capital Territory Minister and writer, Mamman Jiya Vatsa and others by the Babangida regime for coup plotting and the effort he (Soyinka) and his colleagues, Chinua Achebe and John Pepper Clark, made to save their lives.

"People like Prof. Niyi Osundare had spoken about the execution of Vatsa and his group. Remember that on the initiative of Chinua Achebe, myself and J. P. Clark, led a delegation to plead for the lives of all the condemned people. And Babangida did assure us that he would do his best to ensure that they would be freed. When we got the news that these people had been executed, I also received information that Babangida actually fought to save their lives during the Supreme Council meeting--this person is someone whose brother was among the condemned. I had cause to review that information, I had the cause to say that it was planned."

He continued: "How did I believe that I was deceived by that gentleman? The same man who worked in the secretariat and who pleaded with us before to do everything possible to save these men was the same person who told us that Babangida really fought to save them."

Soyinka added that the response of Babangida to Vatsa's widow, who was seeking justice for her late husband was a clincher that he actually ordered the execution.

"I don't know if you remember Babangida's statement when Vatsa's wife was seeking justice for her husband; it was the most insensitive statement I have ever heard from any former head of state and I responded. What he said was, first of all, 'he had no regret for the execution of Vatsa', he said it categorically. Then he said, 'what's the noise about one person, what about the lives of others that were executed?' In other words, it didn't matter at all who is executed. But to make that statement to a widow-- that for me is a clincher that Babangida does not value human rights," he declared.

Soyinka further reminded writers of their duty to fight and protect human rights.

"What do we writers write for, what's our occupation? We write for human rights, we believe in the sanctity of human life. We believe that the first fundamental right is the right to life - that's why we got up that day - JP came to me in Abeokuta and we had a meeting with Babangida. We went and celebrated because we thought we'had achieved saving those lives."

The award-winning writer disclosed that his belief in human right and care for the people led to his initiation of road safety in Africa to help save lives, describing Babangida as an enemy of humanity.

"Babangida to me is an enemy to humanity and of humanity. So that's my position, if the executive of ANA says otherwise, then that's their view. I therefore call on members of my family (ANA) not to attend that event; Babangida is being done the honour of addressing our family. I'm one of the members of the literary family and we say that we don't want people like Babangida to address us," he said.

Meanwhile, Soyinka and other eminent Nigerians yesterday bemoaned the failure of the country as it marked its 47th independence anniversary.

Others who were with Soyinka in Lagos included Coalition of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP), National Chairman and first executive governor of old Kaduna State, Alhaji Balarabe Musa, leader of the Niger Delta Volunteered Front, Alhaji Dokubo-Asari and National Co-ordinator, Odua Peoples Congress, Gani Adams.

In separate presentations, a majority of them agreed that there was nothing to celebrate at the 47th independence anniversary.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by McKren(m): 4:12pm On Oct 05, 2007
I simply dont discuss IBB these days because I believe he is a non-issue

If any group or organisation chooses to even go for pilgrimages at his house, that is their cup of tea.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 05, 2007
McKren:

I simply don't discuss IBB these days because I believe he is a non-issue

If any group or organisation chooses to even go for pilgrimages at his house, that is their cup of tea.

People like Big B1 believe the sun rises and sets in that gap between the teeth. grin
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by almondjoy(f): 4:35pm On Oct 05, 2007
Only in Nigeria! sad
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by BigB11(m): 3:12am On Oct 07, 2007
I’m qualified, nobody can intimidate me – IBB boasts

After weeks of suspense, former military president, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, yesterday made a surprise appearance at MUSON center, Lagos venue of this year’s literary award lecture sponsored by Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG).

Penciled down as Keynote speaker, the choice of IBB had sparked off verbal warfare in the literary community, prompting his spokesman, Kassim Afegbua, to publicly announce that the retired General was unlikely to honour the invitation in view of the Ramadan fasting.

Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka particularly opposed the idea of IBB giving a talk at the forum, saying that he was most incompetent.

But when almost everyone thought that he would not make it, the retired General damned the verbal brouhaha thereof and jetted into Lagos yesterday afternoon.

He flew into Lagos at exactly 5.28pm aboard a chartered HS-125 aircraft marked ZS-PKY. Cornered, IBB told the aviation correspondents that he was completely unperturbed by the comments of Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka who had said he was incompetent to deliver such a high-level lecture, adding: “Just like you journalists say, publish and be damned. I’m a general and I’ve been in the military for 32 years.

So, I don’t get frightened by such comments. I’m more than qualified to deliver the lecture,” he said.
Soyinka had earlier in the week described the invitation extended to IBB to grace the occasion as a guest lecturer as a wrong move, saying he was not qualified for it.
Babangida, who wore a white agbada with grey stripes and a pair of black shoes was in a relaxed mood, nodding intermittently as he exchanged greetings with politicians and others who came to welcome him.

On his take on the contract scandal rocking the House of Representatives that involves the Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Etteh, the former President said there was nothing to worry about, as the House is capable of handling the crisis.
“The problem there has not gone beyond the control of the House. The House is handling the problem itself.”

On the state of the nation after the 47th Independence Anniversary, Babangida said the country was not doing badly, compared to other nations that are about 100 years old.
“I was born before independence so I know where Nigeria was before, after independence and during the civil war. I think we’re trying very hard when you compare it with other nations about 100 years old.”

About the vision 20/20 agenda which President Musa Yar’Adua has set as developmental agenda for the country which aims at making Nigeria one of the 20 most developed nations by year 2020, IBB expressed optimism that the target would be achieved, buttressing his assurance on the quality of manpower that the country parades.

“I am optimistic that we shall achieve vision 2020 because of the quality of people who’re pushing hard to achieve it. We have very highly educated people and very pushful and so the older generation sit and stay happy,” he said.

He was later driven to MUSON Centre, venue of the event, in an unmarked black Mercedes Benz Jeep.
Meanwhile, Soyinka yesterday dismissed a verbal attack on him by Afegbua, saying it was not worthy of his response.

Afegbua had described Soyinka as suffering from “intellectual cirrhosis” while joining issues with the literary giant who voiced his opposition to the choice of Babangida as Keynote Speaker at this year’s literary lecture.
Said Soyinka yesterday: “With this, Mr. Kassim Afegbua has plumbed into an abysmal depth in the career of spokesmen for public officers; a depth already attained by Femi Fani-Kayode, which I never thought could be surpassed.

In the case of Fani-Kayode, it was one lie per paragraph. In the case of Afegbua, it is one lie per line. Such character is beneath contempt, and is not worth my attention.
As at press time last night, Sunday Sun survey revealed the some leading writers were absent at the event, suggesting that they might have heeded Prof Soyinka’s call for literary minds to boycott this year’s ritual because of IBB’s involvment.

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link=%22http://www.sunnewsonline.com/%22
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by chidichris(m): 7:50am On Oct 07, 2007
Mamajama,
i am still waiting for you to say that you now read nigerian newspapers which you said u do not read earlier on.
you come here to post topics that you get from nigeria newspapers only when they concerned or against the people you hate but whenever they write against obj it will become press propoganda. my friend be matured and learn to grow up.
if you are normal and sound in your reasoning, you shld be asking yourself, how come obj in his eight years could not do anything to ibb atleast to convience nigerians on his war against corruption.
you are the same embecile that said in this forum that nothing will happen to etteh because she was not caught with money and non of the money was paid to her. what a little brain?
how many years ago did ibb lead the country and why was abacha the only indicted else president by efcc and obj? the answer will be either the others are clean or the war is a partial war so you choose one. if they are clean, then shut your gutters but if it is as a result of partial stance, then to hell with you and your obj/efcc.
if the likes of adedibu, chris uba and andy uba to mention but a few are free man after acting even without legal powers, then what do u expect from a man who struggled his ways to aso rock?
this forum is for human being and not utah farm jirations so is either you learn to reason human beings here or you stop existing here and begin to exist in the animal kingdom.
is it not madness for you and your able efcc/obj who have decided to overlook federal criminals decieving nigerians with their titi-haha in their few selected states.
you and you afam have continued to ask us for evidence when we talk about the height of corruption during obj's time, so my question here now is, do u have any evidence against ibb? if yes, have you reported that to efcc? if yes, what are they doing about it?
how come you are seeing what efcc and obj did not see? are you more informed than the above named two? or are they playing some kind of games?
your level of reasoning irritates me but it irritates me more when i ask questions on your posted topics and you don't answer them.
please mamajama, i need answers to the above questions at least it help u the more in addressing your points.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by mazaje(m): 4:48pm On Oct 07, 2007
Mamajama answer the above questions being asked by chidicris or for ever remain silent on discussions that invole IBB and OBJ.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by iykrion(m): 5:17pm On Oct 07, 2007
Prof. Soyinka has a right to air his mind. IBB on the other hand, can equally defend himself. SO, why the fulmination?
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 2:36pm On Oct 08, 2007
Like obedient proteges to their forebears in the pen fraternity, members of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) on Saturday shunned this year’s edition of the NLNG grand awards held at the Shell Hall of the MUSON Centre, Onikan, Lagos.

It would be recalled that Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, had called on writers and other stakeholders in the humanities to boycott the awards owing to the choice of former military ruler, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida as keynote speaker. In compliance with the directive, some of the country’s prominent literary figures were conspicously absent during the ceremony. Some of the notable writers who apparently complied with Soyinka’s directive include Professors Femi Osofisan, Niyi Osundare and Olu Obafemi.

Others include Dr Ahmed Yerima, who incidentally, is the immediate past winner of the award; Dr Wale Okediran, current president of ANA; and Dr Jerry Agada, current vice president of ANA.
Also absent was Odia Ofeimun, popular poet and one time ANA president and a number of writers from the state chapters of the association.

Babangida, who was described unfit for the NLNG awards by Soyinka, flew into Lagos to deliver the keynote address at the prestigious event. While he joined his fellow former heads of state, Gen Yakubu Gowon and Chief Ernest Shonekan, who served as chairman and guest of honour respectively, writers opted out of the entire show.

Although, the award was a celebrative one marked by intermitent musical performances, it was devoid of the usual literary colour and panache owing to the absence of notable literary scholars, including Soyinka. But sighted among the crowd were the three finalists, whose works were adjudged the best among the 62 entries received by the organisers. The three writers include 77-year-old Mabel Segun, Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo; a professor of English at the University of Lagos and Uche Peter Umez, the 32-year-old poet and novelist.

It was not clear whether the presence of these three writers was as a result of their success in the competition, but it was glaring that majority of those present participated in the competition. One of the writers, who made the list of the first 10 and who was present in company of her husband and son was Pamela Udoka, author of The Rejected Blessing. Another was veteran poet and elder statesman, Gabriel Okara, whose entry is entitled The Christmas Twins. Also absent on the occasion was Eddie Iroh, former DG, Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria whose script Banana Leaves equally made the top 10.

A few minutes before the opening of the awards, the debate was whether or not Babangida would shy away from the event. But the former military president stormed the Shell Hall with his entourage at about 9pm, shortly after Gen. Gowon and Chief Shonekan were ushered in.
Exuding glamour and confidence in his white Babariga, Babangida (who was described as Nigeria’s most controversial leader by the compere) took time to explain his love for writers and how he facilitated NLNG in Nigeria.

His words: “We are proud of our writers, both at home and abroad; and their accomplishments. For most non-Africans, Africa literature remained synonymous with Nigerian literature for a long time. The landmark of great Nigerian writers, like Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Christopher Okigbo, J.P Clark, Mabel Segun, Cyprian Ekwensi, Zaynab Alkali, Abubakar Gimba, Amos Tutuola, Gabriel Okara, Elechi Amadi and Abubakar Imam, to mention a few, have marked out Nigerian literature as easily the most remarkable African national literature in the 20th century.”

Babangida singled out Soyinka’s achievement as a rare honour for Nigeria.
“It is therefore, not surprising that our own Wole Soyinka became the first African writer to win the coveted Nobel Prize for literature. One of my happiest moments in the service of our country was when we had to dispatch a high-powered delegation to accompany Professor Soyinka to Oslo to recieve that Nobel Prize.

With Wole Soyinka on the podium, our nation stood tall in its achievement and potentials.”
However, Babangida, who commended the NLNG team for initiating and sustaining the project for literature and sciences, also lashed out at his perceived critics, saying “it is not fitting for men of great standing or who want to be so regarded, to hold unto absurdities which are undrained of emotions for too long and branding them as absolute truth, I have no hard feelings though against my critics, even the most virulent ones. I still respect them and even their views. However, I have long understood the nature of their cynicism, I do see critics as partners in our march to a better society. Without them, we could have a greatly flawed progress.”

Two distingusished writers; Mabel Segun and Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo were declared winners of this year’s NLNG prize for literature. According to Professor emeritus Ayo Banjo, who made the announcement, Segun’s entry, Readers’ Theatre and Adimora-Ezeigbo’s My cousin Sammy met the judges’ requirements on Children’s Literature. The two joint winners also went home with the cash prize of $30,000 (Thirty Thousand dollars). However, Uche Peter Umez’s entry; Sam and the Wallet was also considered good but has potentials to win future editions of the prestigious award.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2007/oct/08/national-08-10-2007-001.htm
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by McKren(m): 4:16pm On Oct 08, 2007
History apart if IBB actually paid tributes to Soyinka after the criticisms from Soyinka (Which were very right in my opinion though), I think the man IBB deserves commendation for his master stroke.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by BigB11(m): 5:08pm On Oct 08, 2007
Babangida singled out Soyinka’s achievement as a rare honour for Nigeria.
“It is therefore, not surprising that our own Wole Soyinka became the first African writer to win the coveted Nobel Prize for literature. One of my happiest moments in the service of our country was when we had to dispatch a high-powered delegation to accompany Professor Soyinka to Oslo to recieve that Nobel Prize.

A signal of class and brilliance.

MAMAJAMA, I told you that you will never never hear anything regarding this issue from IBB; and if you do, it would be nothing but respect for Mr Soyinka's point of view and accomplishment.

Leadership role is an invaluable natural talent; it's either you have it or you just don't, there isn't in between.
Apart from few mistakes, IBB remains an incredible leader that this country has ever produced.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by McKren(m): 7:34pm On Oct 08, 2007
Before we get it all wrong, being great at scheming, politicing or being brilliant does not translate into being a great leader.

I was only impressed by this move by IBB because I thought he may have realised what I thought he should do in the interest of his Children in case they have any political ambition.

But IBB was definitely not a great leader.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by BigB11(m): 8:40pm On Oct 08, 2007
Some people  find it very difficult to stick to one side; absolutely no need to flipflop, it shows weakness.

I see this all the time, they state that they hate IBB, but when the man comes around, the same people usually start dancing like a month old puppy happy to see milk.

Amusing!
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by McKren(m): 8:48pm On Oct 08, 2007
I stand on the part of truth!!!!!!!!!
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by BigB11(m): 9:10pm On Oct 08, 2007
So, stick to it.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 08, 2007
Big B1:

Some people  find it very difficult to stick to one side; absolutely no need to flipflop, it shows weakness.

I see this all the time, they state that they hate IBB, but when the man comes around, the same people usually start dancing like a month old puppy happy to see milk.

Amusing!

The logic behind that statement is faulty. Sticking to one side like you believe and obviously practice, will make you a bad political leader because you can never master the art of consensus building. It also makes it hard for you to constructively criticise the people you admire when then make mistakes (since you already believe that  they can do no wrong). And people will surely make mistakes because nobody is perfect.

Now take your man IBB for example, he believes Wole Soyinka has misjudged his (IBB's) character and accomplishments, yet he does not totally dismiss Soyinka as an inconsistent person (like that uncouth yard-dog Kassim Afegbua did). In Babangida's lecture at the LNG award, he still found space to recognise Soyinka's literary genius. In politics nothing is ever clearly defined in black and white. Our political leaders who think only in black and white are the ones responsible for all the bloodshed and upheaval in the world today.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by McKren(m): 9:59am On Oct 09, 2007
IBB was probably one of the most brilliant amongst the group of Northern Generals who operated at the time.

But he was by no means a great leader

A great leader will not lead a Nation into a transition programme that he knows was simply heading to a cul-de-sac.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 4:42pm On Oct 10, 2007
Daboh is blackmailing me – Soyinka
By Geoffrey Ekenna and Olalekan Adetayo
Published: Wednesday, 10 Oct 2007
A Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, on Monday, described the challenge thrown to him by a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Godwin Daboh, to account for money donated to the defunct National Democratic Coalition, as a blackmail.

Soyinka, who spoke with our correspondents on the telephone from the United States, said he was never a member of NADECO and could not have received any money on its behalf.

Reacting to Daboh’s claim at a media briefing in Abuja on Sunday that the money Soyinka claimed to have lent to him was his own share of the funds that accrued to NADECO from international donors, the Nobel laureate said what he gave Daboh was his personal money, when the PDP chief said he needed money to send his daughter back to school. He challenged Daboh to name the donors.

Soyinka said, “I read something somewhere. Which NADECO money did he put in my care? May God protect us from this blackmailer. I was in Nigeria at that time. NADECO had not even come into being at that time. Ask him to name the donors. Ask him if I ever received any money for NADECO.

“I want to know if anybody had complained that I received money on behalf of the group. I was not even a member of NADECO. I was a member of The National Liberation Council of Nigeria, maybe that was what he was confusing with NADECO.

“We worked together with NADECO. I have never in my life been a member of NADECO. I have never in my life received money from anybody in the name of NADECO.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200710102561157
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by mazaje(m): 12:07am On Oct 11, 2007
mamajama or what ever you choose to call your lunatic self. answer the questions that were being asked of you by chidicris or else shut your bais mouth and let us rest, why must we always hear what you always want us to hear regarding IBB,OBJ and their likes? why spin and evade reasonable and objective questions from people here that want to know how credible and sensible you are? go ahead and answer the question and quit being a maniac.
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2007
mazaje Dispensation of class has no correlation between a lunatic like you and childcris. I refused to be drag into the mud with a senseless conversation with a 2nd grade shit for brain people like you guys.

you will never comprehend my explanation, so silent they said is golden. peace
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 1:35am On Oct 15, 2007
Once, former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida, was the toast of admirers who asked him to join the presidential race in the last election. But he is unlikely to enjoy the same fanatical following in future, simply because his erstwhile followers now say "enough is enough for the deceit and disgrace he gave us

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/powergame/2007/oct/14/powergame-14-10-2007-001.htm
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Mamajama(m): 3:11pm On Oct 16, 2007
Soyinka explains opposition to Babangida's presence at NLNG awards
From Laolu Akande, New York
"THERE will always be platforms for restless generals to exercise their freedom of expression, but every union has its rules, its guidelines, and guiding principles, even when unwritten."

With these words, 1986 Nobel literature prize winner, Prof. Akinwande Oluwole Soyinka yesterday defended his opposition to the invitation of former military ruler, Gen. Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida, to give keynote address at the recent event during which some distinguished members of the arts community were honoured.

The event was the awards ceremony of the Association of Nigeria Authors (ANA), organised by the Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) Ltd.

Defending his presence at the event, which was largely boycotted by many leading light in the literary sector, Babangida declared that as a soldier, he was not fazed by criticisms.

Soyinka, in the statement yesterday, declared that Babangida's braggadocio is a sign of weakness and not of strength.

The literary icon cited the actions of another former military ruler, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, under whose leadership during the civil war, federal soldiers lined up civilians and massacred.

Soyinka recalled that Gen. Gowon, despite being unaware of the action until it had been carried out, rushed to the area at the earliest possible time to apologise.

He then juxtaposed Gowon's action with the execution of a soldier and poet, Maj.-Gen. Mamman Vatsa, by the Babangida regime.

Soyinka said that to date, Babangida has maintained a bold face on the matter, even while Vatsa's widow has been crying for justice.

On Babangida's presence at the NLNG awards, Soyinka said: "Gate-crashing is not quite the same as acceptance. To be spared the indignity of rejection, or indeed of disputed entry, those who wish to pass through the portals of engaged humanists of which a literary association is only one - should first purge themselves of a contempt of humanity."

Soyinka explained that his main objection to Babangida's invitation to the awards was the former ruler's handling of the Vatsa case: "Till this moment, setting aside the emotive input, not more than a handful of Nigerians, even within the military, can state with absolute confidence that Vatsa was guilty as charged, or innocent", Soyinka noted.

Wondering where the truth lay regarding the role of Vatsa in the alleged military conspiracy, the playwright declared: "I. B. Babangida cannot escape the burden of self-revelation that was contained in his defiant statement, flung in the face of a widow. It was a cruel, unfeeling statement, a contempt for humane sensibilities. No amount of programmed aggression by the general's squad of libelous liars and revisionists can obscure that summative self-indictment."

The Nobel laureate who wrote from the United States (U.S.), submitted that while Gowon had apologised over past actions, others had continued to act as though "the uniform confers on them the cloak of immunity."

Soyinka said: "We continue to preach that the uniform - any kind of uniform merely confers additional responsibilities, that of group responsibility over and above those of the civic kind. It is a total misconception - one that is however not peculiar to the Nigerian military that to clarify an event or apologise for it as a soldier, is a cowardly act and a dishonour to the uniform."

Further complicating things on what is to be believed or not regarding the Vatsa coup, Soyinka observed that "even Gen. Damkat Bali's statement, only last year, one that he shortly after amended to the point of contradiction, merely added to the confusion. One moment, we thought that he was about to open a tightly sealed can of worms, the next moment, it turned out that he had been misunderstood."

In a clear, certain and almost direct jab at IBB, as Babangida is also known, the acclaimed writer said: "What we do know for a fact is that the prerogative of mercy was open to the uppermost level of military justice, but it was not exercised."

On whether the execution of Vatsa and others in the alleged coup of 1985 was a collective decision or a fiat by Babangida, Soyinka said no one could say thus compounding the problems of appreciating the issues. According to him, no one could say with all certainty whether it was a "collective decision and thus, a collective responsibility? Or that of one individual? Again, we have heard nothing but conflicting assessments."

Soyinka said: "I have made it a principle never to lay charges that I cannot sustain, and thus, have never cited Vatsa's case as a clear instance of a miscarriage of justice." But still apparently pained at the fact that Vatsa was killed after he and two other leading writers in the country had secured assurances of a possible reconsideration, the Nobel prize winner said: "What we continue to reiterate is that reprieve remained an option, that committal of sentence to imprisonment, however lengthy, was a choice. That choice was not made, despite several appeals from civil society, of which the literary fraternity played, not surprisingly, a conspicuous role."

Soyinka is further aghast that after several years, Babangida has refused to show any sense of remorse unlike Gowon who apologised for the pogrom of Asaba during the Nigerian civil war.

Said the professor: "Now let us pass over years. Along comes Mamman Vatsa's widow, seeking justice for her dead husband. How does the then Commander-in-Chief react to her agitation, including her presentation to the (Justice Chukwudifu) Oputa panel? Let me sum up Babangida's commentary in a language that all Nigerians will understand, and let any dissenting voice go back to the actual reportage and assert that the following is not a fair summary:

"Anyway, why all the fuss about Mamman Vatsa? Was his life more valuable than the lives of others who were also killed?"

He added that such a summary was "to be frank," a most generous summary.

He continued: "That IBB's summary is better put like this: 'Whom I also killed' would be closer to the spirit of IBB statement, which also reiterated his position that he would do the same in similar circumstances. In short, no regrets!"

That lack of regret, Soyinka submitted, remains the "crux of the matter."

According to him, "we are speaking here of yet another wasted opportunity by an individual to embrace responsibility and express remorse for his role in that tragedy. We are speaking here of a public, categorical refusal to respond, at the very least, in a humane manner, in a language that would assuage the agony of a widow. Instead, what we obtained was the equivalent of gloating. How is this different from, shall we say, from the plight of a victim of Sani Abacha's torture chambers, now agitating for justice. Imagine the following response from the torturer:

"Why are you making such a fuss? Were you the only one I tortured?"

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article03
Re: Soyinka Lambasts Babangida, Says ‘don’t Honour Him’ by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 16, 2007
really i didnt expect any thing better

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News, Ibb, Aka Babangida And Obj Arrested / Abia Govt Reluctant To Recall Sacked Non-indigenes / GEJ Mansion Now Under Water (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.