Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,326 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. (11325 Views)

NLC, TUC In Kogi Begin Strike Over Buhari's Withholding Of Bailout Fund / We’ll Hold Buhari, APC To “3 Million Jobs A Year” Pledge – NLC, TUC / Remove Fuel Subsidy, Face Our Wrath - NLC, TUC Warn Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by jemby: 5:33am On Jan 04, 2012
Barring last minute reversal of the Federal Government decision to remove subsidy on fuel, the organised labour has fixed January 11 for the commencement of a nationwide strike.

Similarly, the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) yesterday declined comments on the controversy trailing Federal Government’s removal of fuel subsidy,  saying its  position on the issue was made known to the government a long time ago  during the tenure of late President Umaru Musa Yar’adua.

However, reports said some labour leaders have vowed not to enter into form of negotiation with the Belgore-led committee set up by Federal Government to dialogue with labour with a view to resolving issues related to the removal of fuel subsidy.

THISDAY  gathered that leaders of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC), who had fixed the strike for January 11 would meet today to set out the methodology of the mass action.
A labour leader who disclosed the take off date for the strike to THISDAY said the strike will not be suspended for any reason except government rescind its decision on fuel subsidy.

The labour leader explained that the decision to hold the strike next week was taken in order to plan properly for the mass action as well as give Nigerians enough time to stock their houses with food items that would last them for a long period.

The activist, who described the decision by President Goodluck Jonathan to set up a committee on subsidy as “Medicine after death”, said labour would boycott any meeting with the Belgore Committee until government revert back to status quo.

Meanwhile, National Publicity Secretary of ACF, Mr. Anthony Sani, said the forum had earlier asked President Jonathan to use the outcome of his consultation and probe by the National Assembly to arrive at an informed decision on the matter.

“ACF made its position on subsidy known way back under President Yar'Adua that it would be better to make the nation's four refineries functional as a way of discouraging importation of refined products which broughtabout the subsidy and outsourcing of employment.

“And when President Jonathan decided to bring back the matter to the table for discussions with stakeholders, the National Assembly decided to probe the saga.” ACF advised government to use the outcomes of the consultations and the probe by lawmakers to arrive at informed decision.  “Whether that is what actually happened I cannot tell,” Sani said in a text message when he was asked for the reaction of the forum on the removal of subsidy on fuel.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fuel-subsidy-nlc-tuc-commence-strike-jan-11/106417

it has been been confirmed that the strike has now been scheduled for Monday January 9,2012 as against January 11 earlier posted,
Source, http://www.punchng.com/news/general-strike-begins-january-9/
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Ufeolorun(m): 6:47am On Jan 04, 2012
"No no no! the oil does not belong to NLC,Your planned protest is simply out of place.
Hopefully,we the SSS/SSCE people wouldn't join in"

NL is a circus tent,with loads of Adult clowns.
Lol!
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by warrior01: 7:13am On Jan 04, 2012
are you minding the foo.ls
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Witi(m): 7:33am On Jan 04, 2012
Ufeolorun:

"No no no! the oil does not belong to NLC,Your planned protest is simply out of place.
Hopefully,we the SSS/SSCE people wouldn't join in"

NL is a circus tent,with loads of Adult clowns.
Lol!
Dear it is for the good of your future. One day when you get to our stage, loaded with responsibilities n faced with the situation we are in now u shall also be an "Adult Clown" too like us.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Bawss1(m): 8:32am On Jan 04, 2012
11 January eh? I'm so ready now. I hope they won't back down at the last minute.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by OmoTier1(m): 9:00am On Jan 04, 2012
Eaxctly, 11th of January my foot! Why wait till that long Can anyone tell me if there is any law that says you must give FG certain number of days before you engage her in civil unrest and protests?,

I fear for this NLC and TUC oh!
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by warrior01: 9:10am On Jan 04, 2012
@ witi, so you think passing on your responsibility to your children and unborn generation is the right way to go? what a responsible 'adult
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 04, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Eaxctly, 11th of January my foot! Why wait till that long Can anyone tell me if there is any law that says you must give FG certain number of days before you engage her in civil unrest and protests?,

I fear for this NLC and TUC oh!
The Law requires u give a weeks notice after negotiations have failed
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Ufeolorun(m): 9:17am On Jan 04, 2012
It should be a total lockdown,hopefully something that would totally recalibrate the landscape would happen.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by OmoTier1(m): 9:30am On Jan 04, 2012
debrief08:

The Law requires u give a weeks notice after negotiations have failed
I like to learn alot, 'm always humble to, please any reference documents? I mean most recent Labour Act as amended by the NASS?
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by stiyke(m): 9:38am On Jan 04, 2012
Nation wide strike, TUC and NLC end up killing the ppl they say they want to protect. There will be no banking, no trading. Guys have exhausted their money enjoyiing xmass and now they should go on strike and stay out of business for how many days??

This strike will hurt the poor masses more than it hurts federal government if it goes as they plan.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Remii(m): 9:41am On Jan 04, 2012
^^^^^whining has started. grin grin grin
Nothing goes for nothing, my brother.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Remii(m): 9:46am On Jan 04, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

I like to learn alot, 'm always humble to, please any reference documents? I mean most recent Labour Act as amended by the NASS?

Organized labors have CBA (collective bargaining agreement) with there employers which stipulate levels of grievance resolutions before a strike can take place. However, the masses can respond spontaneously without warning.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 04, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

I like to learn alot,  'm always humble to,  please any reference documents? I mean most recent Labour Act as amended by the NASS?
checked online couldnt get info, but the handbook is sold  in trafffic stops everywhere
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by honeric01(m): 9:48am On Jan 04, 2012
stiyke:

Nation wide strike, TUC and NLC end up killing the ppl they say they want to protect. There will be no banking, no trading. Guys have exhausted their money enjoyiing xmass and now they should go on strike and stay out of business for how many days??

This strike will hurt the poor masses more than it hurts federal government if it goes as they plan.

you can go to work, who's holding you back? you can afford $10billion for transport but more than 80 million people can't afford that in Nigeria.

my fare to classes before was N600 daily, now it's N1,800. don't let me descend on you o angry
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Homonide: 10:00am On Jan 04, 2012
From the days of Adams Ohiomole, I have always been suspicious of "labour". They always sell out and it would not be a surprise if they do same again this time round.
Nigeria belongs to you and I, and we don't have to wait for organized labour to express ourselves and enforce our right to protest.
Heaven helps those who help themselves. Let's occupynigeria.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by chakula: 10:06am On Jan 04, 2012
The labour leader explained that the decision to hold the strike next week was taken in order to plan properly for the mass action as well as give Nigerians enough time to stock their houses with food items that would last them for a long period.

Funny! What are the people that they don’t have enough funds to have their stores full with food stuff?
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by pady2: 10:13am On Jan 04, 2012
@debrief08, there's a course called - industrial relations. its clearly states the rule for a strike to be considered legitimate. one of it is wot one poster has mentioned i.e give a weeks notice b4 commencement of the strike , which is wot labor/TUC is doing.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by udumevino(m): 10:14am On Jan 04, 2012
ON FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL: progress is made by first taking thought then a step. Democracy is a process embrace it. Development is a procedure through different stages, support it. Fuel subsidy removal is for our good, supervise it. Nigeria shall be great. Evangelist Odogbor Udume Vincent
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by PHIPEX(m): 10:19am On Jan 04, 2012
So that docile group called NLC is still alive, abeg can someone remind me the name of its President? Where hv they been when the National Assembly and co are busy sharing our money in the name of increase in allowance. Since Adams left that group they suddenly became like other political parties, only comes out to make random political statements. Why can't they support a policy that will open up the economy?
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by montelik(m): 10:19am On Jan 04, 2012
honeric01:

you can go to work, who's holding you back? you can afford $10billion for transport but more than 80 million people can't afford that in Nigeria.

my fare to classes before was N600 daily, now it's N1,800. don't let me descend on you o angry

Boys are not smiling, thanks to Jona.  smiley.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by OmoTier1(m): 10:20am On Jan 04, 2012
debrief08:

checked online couldnt get info, but the handbook is sold  in trafffic stops everywhere
I thought NLC/TUC were already in several unresolved trade dispute with FG and that leaves then with an auto strike button? Yep 'm I fully in the known that One week's notice is required, given the nature of the deceit of the FG, 'm left asking, shouldn't NLC/TUC response be spontenuous
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by wiseguy(m): 10:20am On Jan 04, 2012
I think Labour is in order. Its better for people to be prepared and mobilized. so many peeps are still in the village. Some have exhausted the money at hand. Its better people have the time to stock up foods and other necessities before the strike.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by Godmann(m): 10:27am On Jan 04, 2012
All we can do on that day is to go out enmasse and shut down this country. We have to do this for our nation.

For those that work always hold back from participating, there will not be work that day.

Let make a good statement that day, guys
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by warrior01: 10:34am On Jan 04, 2012
just bear in mind where your rights stops that's where mine starts. you can't force everybody to follow your fool.ish steps. thanks in advance
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by udumevino(m): 10:37am On Jan 04, 2012
The energy apportioned for protest against FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL,should be streamlined to bring sanity to your work places and offices. Fighting Corruption is the best and only way fuel subsidy removal can make a meaning.NLC,TUC,NANS , Civil and public servants. Private business owners and even the masses should first of remove the filthiness on their desks before removing Jonathans own. Meanwhile our thoughts ,actions and energy should directed towards supporting the government of the day for positive changes evangelist Odogbor udume vincent
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by shokayz(m): 10:38am On Jan 04, 2012
people dat r nt in surpport of d strike action are selfish nd do think of d future d the younger generation. Lets make d sacrifice for our younger ones nd unborn chiildren. Aluta continua
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by freecocoa(f): 10:39am On Jan 04, 2012
I think people need the time to prepare,if not hunger will kill many people o.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by probsolver: 10:52am On Jan 04, 2012
hello my fellow nigerians,
let's support NLC/TUC TO STOP THIS BAD JONATHAN LED GOVT. LETS SACRIFICE AND JOIN THE SIT-AT-HOME ACTION IT WILL BE FOR OUR OWN GOOD. IMAGINE, A GOVT THAT AGREED THAT THERE IS A CABAL IN THE OIL & GAS SECTOR BUT AGREED TRU OSIOMOLE AT THE TOWN HALL DEBATE THAT THE CABAL ARE STRONGER THAN THE GOVT. WE CAN'T CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THE GOVT, THE GOVT SHOULD CUT THEIR EXPENSES AND LET THE MASSES BE! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by sugardaddy1(m): 10:58am On Jan 04, 2012
stiyke:

You're a stu.pid Govt. agent. The hurt from the strike will only be temporary compared to the hardship the Govt. is trying to permanently force on the majority of Nigerians.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by sugardaddy1(m): 11:03am On Jan 04, 2012
Homonide:

From the days of Adams Ohiomole, I have always been suspicious of  "labour". They always sell out and it would not be a surprise if they do same again this time round.
Nigeria belongs to you and I, and we don't have to wait for organized labour to express ourselves and enforce our right to protest.
Heaven helps those who help themselves. Let's occupynigeria.
Adams Oshiomole only used his leadership of NLC to propagate his political ambition same way Abike Dabiri used her popularity on Newsline to her political advantage. Adams Oshiomole and FG are one and the same, his recent utterances are testimonies to that.
Re: NLC / TUC Commence Strike January 9, 2012. by mileskiyo(m): 11:07am On Jan 04, 2012
It is obvious that the government does not respect the people so why should Labor respect them by giving them notice before going on strike?! The Federal Government is a bunch of bullies and they fight dirty!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sheep Gave Birth To Half-human Being In Sokoto. / Abia State Governorship Results As Announced By INEC / U.S. Investigates Sinopec For Bribing Nigerians With $100 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.