Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,219 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com (21024 Views)

Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com / Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 10:28pm On Jan 04, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Who says udushi?

I think he means uchuchi or I may be wrong. Uchuchi is spoken in Anambra.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Chyz2: 10:29pm On Jan 04, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Who says udushi?

Ya see?!  grin

In Mbaise, at least Ezinihitte. I dont know about the other parts in Mbaise. This is what the old elder people say, not often anymore though.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 10:36pm On Jan 04, 2012
Udushi resembles the word for evening, which I have heard sometimes being used for night.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by LogicMind: 12:10am On Jan 05, 2012
Nwanyi = Ikporo
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 12:27am On Jan 05, 2012
Hmm, Agbor Nwanyi = Okpoho. Edo also uses Okpoho.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 2:06am On Jan 05, 2012
Chyz*:

This is what we commonly use today but I do think these are the originals. Odumchi's listing looks more in place.
Let say: Nwoko/Nwoke- male child(baby) or Oko/Oke- male
We use them because that is what they actually mean. Male and female persons will always be nwoke and nwanyi, respectively, although more specific vocabulary for man, woman, etc. does indeed exist. Non-persons wouldn't be nwoke or nwanyi though.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 05, 2012
ezeagu:

Hmm, Agbor Nwanyi = Okpoho. Edo also uses Okpoho.

In my worldview, this doesn't count bro.

The exact reason why I find Onicha Igbo language a bit annoying.(tho I love the sound of the dialect still) Too many borrowed words being touted as real words, even when there are existing Igbo equivalents.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 8:02am On Jan 05, 2012
mbatuku2:

The exact reason why I find Onicha Igbo language a bit annoying.(tho I love the sound of the dialect still) Too many borrowed words being touted as real words, even when there are existing Igbo equivalents.

Mbatuku, I want to get your opinion on something; just a curious question.
Does this make sense to you: Too many borrowed words being touted as real words, even when there are existing Ngwa equivalents?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 05, 2012
lol. You surely want to call me, dont you? I believe you know my views on this issue.

Well, Ngwa is an Igbo-related language and I said Igbo-related equivalents.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 8:24am On Jan 05, 2012
lol I know. I just wanted to get further confirmation, just for assurance purposes.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 05, 2012
Satellite- Odudigwe
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 3:26pm On Jan 05, 2012
mbatuku2:

I was saying it because of the poster above the other post, and we don't even know the origin of the word.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by StarFlux: 4:32pm On Jan 05, 2012
Good translations are actually important.
Do not let loanwords take over your language by not translating or doing half good translations. It is important to take care of your language, because language is identity. This is why I love topics like these. Even though I don't personally speak Igbo, I hope you guys will take care of your language so it can live on.

Keep up the good work.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 5:12pm On Jan 05, 2012
But they tried

Hamburger is Germanic
Rock is Latin
Ball is actually from old Norse and basket French
Satellite Latin
Punk is slang
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2012
mbatuku2:

I dont think Onicha calls women "okpoho", its ikporo which is also prevalent in the Anambra riverline areas.
The Onichas of southeast rarely have a single Benin word in their dialect; Tell me one single Onicha word that is Benin and I will confidently tell you where in Idenmili it originated from !!
One Igbo dude like that from Delta was claiming that Onicha culture was borrowed from Benin in a group conversation and I acted like I dont even speak Igbo until he mentioned the "IYASSELE" title. Needless to say but he went home feeling well informed.
My father told me that both ADO and IDU are Igbo words and do not forget Igbo dialect varies.
Please enough of this Benin obsession,its getting on my freaking nerves!
Onicha didnt borrow jack from Benin except the idea of monarchy,if you think otherwise then explain.
I am actually enjoying this cool thread.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:48pm On Jan 05, 2012
Uchichi = night
Ndeli = midnight
Walking stick = okpolo
Fridge= igweoyi
A/c = ntuoyi
Impeachement= nnapuokwa (nnapu is removal, okwa is post/position)
Skyscrapper = unogo/ulogo(uno/ulo means house;ogo/ulo means house)
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by PhysicsQED(m): 9:57pm On Jan 05, 2012
Ezeagu, which of the "Edoid" languages were you referring to when you said okpoho was Edo for woman? Okhuo is woman/female in Edo (Bini).

@ Nri priest

Iyasere is pure Edo (Bini). No ifs ands or buts about it. It follows easily and directly from the language. What Igbo interpretation of the word did you arrive at for the "Iyassele" version of the word?

(In case you need a reference you can check: http://edoworld.net/Edo_Africa_names_dictionary_I.html, but you could possibly also track down a Bini dictionary offline at a library somewhere if you need further confirmation.)
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:44pm On Jan 05, 2012
Physics, if you believe "iyaselle" is a Benin word then I will need you to tell me what it means,because one titled man from my kindred in Idenmili is greeted "iyaselle"
Onicha has a title called "Onowu iyaselle" and I know for sure that "ONOWU" is an Igbo word.
Basicly,i need a little more education on the "iyaselle" title meaning.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by PhysicsQED(m): 11:48pm On Jan 05, 2012
Nri Priest, there is no Benin word like "Iyaselle" to the best of my knowledge.

I already showed what Iyasere means, though ("that which I desire").
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 12:08am On Jan 06, 2012
mbatuku2:

Satellite- Odudigwe
How did you arrive at this?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 12:17am On Jan 06, 2012
What's funny about all of this is that Igbo isn't even an easy language to speak. It's difficult, and we over here devising (or trying to devise) new expressions (not even words, if you ask me) that do nothing more than make people's mouths feel heavy-laden.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 06, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

I dont think Onicha calls women "okpoho", its ikporo which is also prevalent in the Anambra riverline areas.
The Onichas of southeast rarely have a single Benin word in their dialect; Tell me one single Onicha word that is Benin and I will confidently tell you where in Idenmili it originated from !!
One Igbo dude like that from Delta was claiming that Onicha culture was borrowed from Benin in a group conversation and I acted like I dont even speak Igbo until he mentioned the "IYASSELE" title. Needless to say but he went home feeling well informed.
My father told me that both ADO and IDU are Igbo words and do not forget Igbo dialect varies.
Please enough of this Benin obsession,its getting on my freaking nerves!
Onicha didnt borrow jack from Benin except the idea of monarchy,if you think otherwise then explain.
I am actually enjoying this cool thread.

There are a couple I can remember at the moment.

Ogede (I suspect this is originally yoruba)

Ofigbo(palm oil)

Ogbe(quarters)

Idumu(I think I heard this once, not so sure tho)
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 12:55am On Jan 06, 2012
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 06, 2012
ChinenyeN:

How did you arrive at this?

A heavenly follower.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 1:19am On Jan 06, 2012
Oh okay. I see.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:25am On Jan 06, 2012
mbatuku2:

Ofigbo(palm oil)

Ogbe(quarters)

Mbatuku, we the Umuoji,Idenmili's dont call it ogede,rather its "unele";so I dont know who and who calls it "ogede" in Anambra areas.

"ogbe" in Idenmili means area or vicinity not really a village could also means. So, that word "ogbe" is a true Igbo word.
There is a clan in my town called Umuidumu but I dont know what that Idumu means but its one of those ecaic names in my town Umuoji,Idenmili. Names like Odanwa,Idumu,Nzulu,Oyagulu,Obeche are few from many names from my town which I dont know what they meann.
As for "ofigbo" I dont know who useses it nor the meaning.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Obiagu1(m): 5:51am On Jan 06, 2012
Ogede (I suspect this is originally yoruba)  = Ogede is plantain in Enugu. Anambra call it Unele.

Ofigbo(palm oil)

Ogbe(quarters) = 100% Igbo. Ogbe is not quarters but neighbourhood or community. Kedu ogbe i bi? Uwani.

Idumu(I think I heard this once, not so sure tho) = Idumu sounds like Ndi umu (nna/nne) probably kindred or village.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Chyz2: 5:54am On Jan 06, 2012
mbatuku2:

Ofigbo(palm oil)

Ogbe(quarters)

Not true at all. It is one of those words the "related groups" share. Igala,Idoma, as well as edos use the word or variants also.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 6:43am On Jan 06, 2012
To the person asking got the translation of cobweb,its onya uko.

Odumchi,I think you mixed up your translations of woman and female.IMO,woman=nwanyi,Female=iyom.We have to put in mind that its not just about humans but also covers non living stuffs.How wud u translate "female snake"?nwanyi agwo or iyom agwo ?
Mother is Nne,not all women are mothers hence I find that translation 'Nne for nwanyi' not correct.

Physics,Onichans use "Iyaselle" and not "Iyaasere" as you pointed out the Bini's do.Unfortunately,I don't even know the origin or what it means.

Ezeogu stop twisting words biko.what is "agbor nwanyi" ?
Every nwanyi(woman) was once an agbor(ghobia) ie girl.

Mbatuku,from all you listed and claimed Onichans use,I know for sure that 2 are true;Ogede(for plantain) eg ukpo ogede a delicacy and Ogbe eg Ogbe otu,Ogbe abo but please Onichans DON'T use your "Ofigbo" for oil.Its either mmanu nni(nri) for red oil or mmanu opupa for groundnut oil.Then what da heck is "Idumu"
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 06, 2012
Quote from Ezeagu

Internet. [b]Ubu[/b]igwe (Ubigwe)

What does 'Ubu' mean?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 6:02pm On Jan 06, 2012
Internet. Oduduigwe
courtesy of mbatuku2 (of Nairaland)

Skyscrapper = unogo
courtesy of NRI PRIEST (of Nairaland)

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-838649.32.html

Source: http://igbodefender.com/groups/igbo-and-afro-american-culture/forum/topic/new-igbo-words/?_wpnonce=f1e6319429#post-15
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 9:03pm On Jan 06, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Ezeagu, which of the "Edoid" languages were you referring to when you said okpoho was Edo for woman? Okhuo is woman/female in Edo (Bini).

I must have gotten it wrong then.

I thought Ogede = plantain, Unele/unere = banana?

ifyalways:

Ezeogu stop twisting words biko.what is "agbor nwanyi" ?
Every nwanyi(woman) was once an agbor(ghobia) ie girl.

I thought agbogho is a maiden (virgin unmarried)? Hence the expression "Agbogho nwanyi".

Agbor is a town in Delta State and their "nwanyi" is "okpoho".

mbatuku2:

Quote from Ezeagu

What does 'Ubu' mean?

Net (fishing)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories / Atakumosa West L.G.A Of Osun Ends Female Circumcision / List Of Animals And Their Igbo Names.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.