Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,258 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com (21025 Views)

Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com / Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 2:19pm On Nov 26, 2012
i think we should bear in mind that some of the structures were non-existing in the days of our fathers so I won't be surprised if we don't get good enough translations.

Pantry= oba(from oba ji)
Sitting room =öbi
Bedroom= ulo ezumike.

Some would argue about this two(it should be the other way round) but when you want to translate to bring out the meaning not just literal, that's what you'll get.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by otele(m): 4:53pm On Nov 26, 2012
ifyalways:
Bedroom= ulo ezumike

More like ulo-nkwa or ulo-ibonge cheesy
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by dubem3(m): 5:23pm On Nov 26, 2012
otele:

More like ulo-nkwa or ulo-ibonge cheesy
did u mean akwa?
and whats ibonge?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 5:35pm On Nov 26, 2012
odumchi: I was wondering: what/who is the organization that regulates the Igbo language?

*I bolded the one I didn't know.

It's supposed to be ndia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Promoting_Igbo_Language_and_Culture

But there's no website, no information about headquarters, and I'm not even sure they are involved very much in Igbo curriculum. I see it as dead organisation that was only useful for orthography in the 1950s. It should be resurrected in the form of this: http://brown.edu/Departments/Africana_Studies/people/IkechukwuAchebe.html

Look at French regulation for example: http://www.xn--acadmie-franaise-npb1a.fr/

Headquarters:

Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 6:27pm On Nov 26, 2012
ifyalways: i think we should bear in mind that some of the structures were non-existing in the days of our fathers so I won't be surprised if we don't get good enough translations.

Pantry= oba(from oba ji)
Sitting room =öbi
Bedroom= ulo ezumike.

Some would argue about this two(it should be the other way round) but when you want to translate to bring out the meaning not just literal, that's what you'll get.

Some of the words I actually found in some books. I wanted to see if others had variations (or provide tone for some).

For example from architecture I found Igbo words for the following:

Floor (level) - ala ụlọ
Living room - ife ulo; ife imuno nkoro
House - igwa (Onicha)
Hall - ọgwa
Roof - mgbachi
Ceiling - mkpochi
Compound - ǹgúrú
Compound wall - ègwè
Courtyard - ezi obulu
Back door - abọshi
Edge - ábám
Bank - ázá
Stile - ọgbà
Column - aniga
Portico - apata
Rafters (beam) - abubo; ntoto uno; okolo
Purlin (beam) - ogblogbo
Bedroom - oboro (Enugu)
Compluvium - anieze
Room - m̀gbè
Tower - ụnọ aja
Parapet - ngijigi
Pillar - ogidi; nsukpa
Threshold - apatapa
Watchtower - ugele
Multi story building - obunenu
Stair - ǹkwà
Foundation - ntọ
Storeroom - akpata; obiogu
Bench - ukpo
Door jamb - osogo
Fence - ono
Sleeping area - okwule (Onicha)
Underground duct (gutter, sewer) - ulolo (Onicha)

[img]http://books.google.com/books?id=FjEOAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA144&img=1&pgis=1&dq=ulolo+gutter&sig=ACfU3U3cVrodxYR2Wa5paEYA_847hjXVzw&edge=0[/img]
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FjEOAAAAIAAJ&q=ulolo+gutter&dq=ulolo+gutter

[img]http://books.google.com/books?id=OH8uAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA5&img=1&pgis=1&dq=ulolo+gutter&sig=ACfU3U2GY_iwzylKHGoD84x3OiDyiPoamQ&edge=0[/img]
http://books.google.com/books?id=OH8uAQAAIAAJ&q=ulolo+gutter&dq=ulolo+gutter

I'd advise to ask around for these words, but I'm sure many of them are only known by a few.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 9:24am On Nov 27, 2012
Spilc was vibrant some 10 to 13 years ago. I know cos I was in sec. School and they organise Inter school/state Igbo language debates, quizz etc.

Multi storey building = ulo enu .

I can't even pronounce some of those things @ Ezeagu. Lolz
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by dubem3(m): 11:55am On Nov 27, 2012
ifyalways: Spilc was vibrant some 10 to 13 years ago. I know cos I was in sec. School and they organise Inter school/state Igbo language debates, quizz etc.

Multi storey building = ulo enu .

I can't even pronounce some of those things @ Ezeagu. Lolz

Very soon, i'll start learning Igbo afresh from the kinda things am seeing here...
ify i sent you a mail oh
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 1:44pm On Nov 27, 2012
Meatpie- Akpa Nri Anu
Ice cream- Aisi nri mmiri meuku
Security guard- Sekuriti gaadu
Aeroplane -Eropleni/Eroplenu
President- Prezdenti
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by dubem3(m): 2:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
belltwelve: Meatpie- Akpa Nri Anu
Ice cream- Aisi nri mmiri meuku
Security guard- Sekuriti gaadu
Aeroplane -Eropleni/Eroplenu
President- Prezdenti

what happened to
onye nche
ugbo enu
onye isi,onye ndu,onye ochi chi
? ? ?

1 Like

Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 4:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
dubem3:

what happened to
onye nche
ugbo enu
onye isi,onye ndu,onye ochi chi
? ? ?

onye nche= watchman
ugbo enu= air vehicle, e.g, helicopter and aeroplane
onye ndu= leader

This exercise is about deepening the Igbo language, and bringing out more words. English has many thousands of words, which gives it a strong status. For Igbo language to become a world leading language, it must develop thousands of words. Gone are the days when we use 'Onye Ndu' to describe everything from president to governor to traditional ruler, and even school prefect. We must expand and develop thousands of new words.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 4:56pm On Nov 27, 2012
belltwelve:

onye nche= watchman
ugbo enu= air vehicle, e.g, helicopter and aeroplane
onye ndu= leader

This exercise is about deepening the Igbo language, and bringing out more words. English has many thousands of words, which gives it a strong status. For Igbo language to become a world leading language, it must develop thousands of words. Gone are the days when we use 'Onye Ndu' to describe everything from president to governor to traditional ruler, and even school prefect. We must expand and develop thousands of new words.

Not necessarily, the goal shouldn't be to make up words for every single thing that is known, instead we need to define every single thing that is known. Even in English, one word can have more than 5 different meaning, sometimes completely unrelated and many of the times these words can be different kind of word.

And example would be..... president.

pres·i·dent [prez-i-duh nt] Show IPA
noun
1. (often initial capital letter ) the highest executive officer of a modern republic, as the Chief Executive of the United States.
2. an officer appointed or elected to preside over an organized body of persons.
3. the chief officer of a college, university, society, corporation, etc.
4. a person who presides.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/president
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2012
Bikonu gini ka Belltwelve na-ako ? grin
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 4:44pm On Nov 30, 2012
Shopping (including online)

Shop (house)
Store (house)
Store front
Shopping
Shopper
Customer
Service
Cash
Change (money)
Counter
Credit card
ATM
Manager
Isle (of products)
Till
Commodity
Grocery
Electronics
Items
Utensils
Shop assistant
Furniture
Clothing
Gift
Children's wear
Menswear
Womenswear
Register (sign on to something)
Member (signing on to something)
Membership
Savings
Allowance
Discount
Programme (like a membership programme)
Customer services
Check out
Shopping cart
Shop lifting detector
Cost
Sale (selling)
Sale (reduction of price)
Save
Clearance
Refund
Return (returning items)
Receipt
Percent
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 9:28pm On Nov 30, 2012
ezeagu:

It's supposed to be ndia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Promoting_Igbo_Language_and_Culture

But there's no website, no information about headquarters, and I'm not even sure they are involved very much in Igbo curriculum. I see it as dead organisation that was only useful for orthography in the 1950s. It should be resurrected in the form of this: http://brown.edu/Departments/Africana_Studies/people/IkechukwuAchebe.html

Look at French regulation for example: http://www.xn--acadmie-franaise-npb1a.fr/

Headquarters:

O di kwa njo o.

If they are truly the group of people who are responsible for the welfare of the Igbo language, then nsogbu di. Somewhere, I also read something about Oxford University being the prominent authority on Igbo literature and linguistics. However, I do agree that we (those with the power to do so) need to urgently revive organizations like these. It would be nice if there were organizations that would published annual dictionaries complete with new words and etc.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 9:38pm On Nov 30, 2012
Let me try this:

Shop (house) - ulo avia
Store (house) - ulo ngwongwo (warehouse)
Store front - ivu avia
Shopping - nzumavia
Shopper - onye nzumavia
Customer - onye nzumavia
Service - oru
Cash - ego
Change (money) - uma
Counter - elu okpokoro
Credit card - ihe ugwo
ATM - mgbazinara ego
Manager - onye isi
Isle (of products) - uzo ngwo avia
Till - ikpo ego
Commodity - ngwo avia
Grocery - ihe ndi
Electronics - okwuinoku
Items - umu ihe
Utensils - umu ihe
Shop assistant - nwa avia
Furniture - umu okpokoro
Clothing - nwei
Gift - onyinye
Children's wear - nwei umuruma
Menswear - nwei umu nwoke
Womenswear - nwei umu nwaanyi
Register (sign on to something) - idei ava
Member (signing on to something) - onye otu
Membership - otu
Savings - nmeda onu
Allowance (what kind?)
Discount - mgbuwa oda
Customer services - nlema anya ndi avia
Check out - iwepu
Shopping cart - nkwara
Shop lifting detector - ihe mgbochi nzi
Cost - oda
Sale (selling) - orire
Sale (reduction of price) - nmeda onu
Online - na intaneti
Save - rie
Clearance - opupu
Refund - nyeachi
Return (returning items) - umu ihe nyeachi
Receipt - akwukwo avia
Percent - okere

1 Like

Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 3:55am On Dec 01, 2012
Giving it a try:

Shop (house) - ulo ahia
Store (house) - ulo ngwa ahia (warehouse)
Store front - Iru ahia
Shopping - Izu ahia
Shopper - onye n'azu ahia
Customer - onye na-azu ahia
Service - oru
Cash - ego
Change (money) - uma
Counter - elu okpokoro
Cheque - akwukwo ego
Manager - onye isi
Isle (of products) - uzo ngwo ahia
Till - ikpo ego
Commodity - ngwo ahia
Grocery - umu ururu ihe
Electronics - okwuinoku
Items - umu ihe
Utensils - umu ihe
Shop assistant - nwa ahia
Furniture - umu okpokoro
Clothing - uwe
Gift - onyinye
Children's wear - uwe umuaka
Menswear - uwe umu nwoke
Womenswear - uwe umu nwaanyi
Register (sign on to something) - ide aha
Member (signing on to something) - onye otu
Membership - otu
Savings - ndebe
Discount - iwepu ego
Customer services - Ilezi ndi ahia anya
Shopping cart - nkata ahia
Shop lifting detector - ihe na enyoputa ndi ori n'ulo ahia.
Cost - odara
Sale (selling) - orire
Sale (reduction of price) - mgbuka na mgburi
Online - na intaneti
Save - rie
Clearance - opupu
Refund - nyeachi
Return (returning items) - umu ihe nyeachi
Receipt - akwukwo ahia
Percent - oke
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by toshmann(m): 3:46am On Dec 11, 2012
G-string= mpekele uwe otele grin
Homosexuals= ndi ndoro/ ndi or'ike( ndi ori Ike)
Lesbians= ndi oru'aka grin
Terrorists= ndi mmaja tongue
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 3:48am On Dec 11, 2012
Unu ahula ya?

See your life? You no fit think beta tin undecided

toshmann: G-string= mpekele uwe otele grin
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by toshmann(m): 3:55am On Dec 11, 2012
Ya awuru kwanu gini angry elee udi mkpari di nkea. Imakwa research m mere before m weputa those words free of charge to igbos of future generations?

Jide Obi gi aka o, before m weputa my pencil see gi na paper ugbua tongue
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 4:16am On Dec 11, 2012
toshmann: G-string= mpekele uwe otele grin

Ọgọdọ mpekele
Òtéké (o ta éké)
Oméké (o me éké)
Di mkpọ
Hermaphrodite - ẹkẹlẹkpọ
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by adaide1: 8:31am On Dec 11, 2012
@mabtuku 2
I think afo for tyre is wrong. Imagine saying 'ejere m i gote afo moto/ugboala'. it makes no sense because afo is the same as stomach.
we say 'ugbo dara afo' (which means flat tyre) because afo of the tyre was deflated hence flat.just like you can say 'nnaa, kedu nke afo gi dachare etu a, i ri-kwara nri or kedu nke i dara afo, i ri-kwara nri' (because his tummy is flat)
but if you say ukwu ugbo/ ugboala/ moto/ oche/ okoproigwe (train)/ ugboelu/ogbatutum/ehi/ewu/ okuko.
it gives a better description because ukwu is for movement as well as for standing. so i suggest we continue with ukwu.

Also olu/onu can be used as dialect if you consider the adage that says 'igbo na ekwu n'olu n'olu' (igbos speak in different tongues)
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 4:35pm On Dec 11, 2012
Your beloved organisation, Igbodefender.com, is facilitating the creation of new Igbo words at https://www.nairaland.com/838649/new-igbo-words-being-formed/7. Hundreds of suggestions of new Igbo words have been made, and thousands of people are interested participants or observers in the exercise. We believe that gradually, words from this thread will begin to find their way into mainstream Igbo parlance; and one day, participants in the exercise will be able to say,’ When the world thought Igbo language was going into extinction we fought, and saved it.’

We started the process in our forums,which we have restricted for now, but we believe that our members and friends in Nairaland are doing a very good job. We believe that hundreds, no, thousands of new Igbo words, which will keep our language alive for the next thousand years will be formed from this excersice. Nairaland is Nigeria’s biggest online forum, and by hosting this exercise ids following in the footsteps of Oxford University, which in the 1950s was an authority on the Igbo language.

We congratulate the Igbo patriots and friends, who are researching, contributing to, and debating on the topic in that thread. Due to our suspension of our forum activities – FOR THE MEANTIME ONLY – you will only be able to participate in this topic here. We will eventually have a parallel debate in both our forum and the Nairaland thread, where participants on both forums can cross fertilize ideas, at the same time. So don’t go looking for the Igbodefender link, because we have restricted it for now. Igbokwenu!

We close with this attempt by Odumchi of Nairaland, in the thread:

Let me try this:

Shop (house) – ulo avia
Store (house) – ulo ngwongwo (warehouse)
Store front – ivu avia
Shopping – nzumavia
Shopper – onye nzumavia
Customer – onye nzumavia
Service – oru
Cash – ego
Change (money) – uma
Counter – elu okpokoro
Credit card – ihe ugwo
ATM – mgbazinara ego
Manager – onye isi
Isle (of products) – uzo ngwo avia
Till – ikpo ego
Commodity – ngwo avia
Grocery – ihe ndi
Electronics – okwuinoku
Items – umu ihe
Utensils – umu ihe
Shop assistant – nwa avia
Furniture – umu okpokoro
Clothing – nwei
Gift – onyinye
Children’s wear – nwei umuruma
Menswear – nwei umu nwoke
Womenswear – nwei umu nwaanyi
Register (sign on to something) – idei ava
Member (signing on to something) – onye otu
Membership – otu
Savings – nmeda onu
Allowance (what kind?)
Discount – mgbuwa oda
Customer services – nlema anya ndi avia
Check out – iwepu
Shopping cart – nkwara
Shop lifting detector – ihe mgbochi nzi
Cost – oda
Sale (selling) – orire
Sale (reduction of price) – nmeda onu

Source: Igbodefender.com
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 8:07pm On Dec 12, 2012
What happened to igbo defender site ?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 8:31pm On Dec 12, 2012
ifyalways: What happened to igbo defender site ?
Nothing happened to it. It's still there, and the admins are still active.
The only thing (to the best of my knowledge) is that the forums are private.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 9:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
Bank

Bank - Aza
Banking - Oru aza
Safe - Aza
Cheque -
Cashier -
Credit -
Credit card -
Holdings -
Investment -
Money transfer -
Account -
Accountant -
Bond -
Insurance -
Mortgage -
Debt -
Loan -
Deposit -
Interest -
Assets -
Income -
Bankrupt -
Bill -
Debit -
Tax -
Annual -
Quarterly -
Biannual -
Balance -
ATM -
(Cash) Register -

and so on... http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/dictionary/index-dictionary.html
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 5:38pm On Dec 17, 2012
Bank - Aza
Banking - Oru aza
Safe - Aza
Cheque - Cheki
Cashier - Kashia
Credit - Krediti
Credit card - Kardi krediti
Holdings - Egimnaka
Investment - Etinyelu (e.g, etinyelu di iche iche; i.e., different investments)
Money transfer - Nzipu-enweta ego
Account - Akaunti
Accountant - Onye Akaunti
Bond - Ihe-njiko-aro-ego
Insurance - Insuranti
Mortgage - Morgejji
Debt - Iji ugwo (already exists)
Loan - Ibi ego (already exists)
Deposit - Dipositu
Interest - Inturess ego
Assets - Asseti/assetu
Income - Inkom
Bankrupt - Ida ogbenye
Bill - Billi ego
Debit - Debitt
Tax - Tax
Annual - Mgbe aro
Quarterly - Nkeji Kwata
Biannual - Ugboro abuo mgbe aro
Balance - Balans
(Cash) Register - machini aka nchawa cool

1 Like

Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 6:20pm On Dec 17, 2012
Over 70% of these words already exist.

1 Like

Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 6:39am On Dec 23, 2012
malice - iwe ime obi
console - konsolu
consul - konsuli
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 5:32pm On Dec 23, 2012
belltwelve: malice - iwe ime obi
console - konsolu
consul - konsuli

Malice = iro
Console - gụgụọ
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 6:42pm On Dec 23, 2012
'Console' the verb?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 6:17am On Dec 30, 2012
@ Ezeagu
Iro= enmity

@ Odumchi
I meant machine console; not the verb - to console or comfort. Ezeagu must have misunderstood.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 6:49am On Dec 30, 2012
Boxing Day= Ubochi Ngbaoriri
E.g.: Ubochi ngbaoriri 2012, eriri'm osikapa na ofe akwu.

converter (of radio signals)= ihe-konvat

cake= keeki
E.g., keeki nka toro uto di egwu; chai!! O toka!

chocolate= shokoleeti
E.g.; Nkiru, chetakwa gotere umuazi shokoleeti, ma I na abata.

jewellry= ihe ngbunke
E.g., ihe ngbuke di iche iche, di ka mgbka aka, e.t.c.

precious stones= okute-n'egbuke

gentleman= onye eziomume
E.g., Chinua Achebe bu onye eziomue, i.e., a gentleman.

(gentle/cultured) lady= onye eziomume E.g., Chimamanda Adichie bu onye eziomume, i.e., a cultured lady.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories / Atakumosa West L.G.A Of Osun Ends Female Circumcision / List Of Animals And Their Igbo Names.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.