Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou (220691 Views)

Relocating To Cotonou / Pls I Need Guide On How To Get To Cotonou And Also Where To Get Things Cheap / Cotonou, Benin Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by modupsie(f): 3:56pm On Sep 07, 2013
HI ZHUKAFA, NICE THREAD.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by modupsie(f): 4:02pm On Sep 07, 2013
HI ZHUKAFA, NICE THREAD.

i wud also like to travel to cotonou at the end of the month for 3 days with my husband and lil girl

i wud use your directions to get there.
but can u give me any other hotel name in cotonou town where i can easily get to the beach, market and other tourist places(pls mention places or malls).
can i also use my atm inside cotonou town or just at the border?
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by zhukafa(m): 6:33pm On Sep 07, 2013
modupsie: HI ZHUKAFA, NICE THREAD.

i wud also like to travel to cotonou at the end of the month for 3 days with my husband and lil girl

but can u give me any other hotel name in cotonou town where i can easily get to the beach, market and other tourist places(pls mention places or malls).

thanks.

You cant use your ATM inside cotonue. You can only use it at the border (seme).

For hotels, there are so many good hotels in cotonue, but the one i mentioned, is the one i normally lodge in.

For markets and beaches, anywhere you lodge, you can still access it, because there are normally no hold up's in cotonue unlike Nigeria. And cotonue is just a small country.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Godson201333(m): 10:05pm On Sep 07, 2013
modupsie: HI ZHUKAFA, NICE THREAD.

Yes you can if your cards are Naira-Master card or Naira Visa card and their Machine will do automatic conversion for you..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by zhukafa(m): 7:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
Godson201333:

Yes you can if your cards are Naira-Master card or Naira Visa card and their Machine will do automatic conversion for you..

if you say so, i have not tried it before.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by hildajid(f): 7:39am On Sep 09, 2013
Hello everyone pls I really need ur suggestions ASAP, I want 2 go to cotonou with my husband to rest from our wedding stress, pls how do we get there from lagos,and we need suggestions of good,but cheap hotels we can stay in and there possible prices. Pls wuld appreciate urgent responses. Thanks
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by zhukafa(m): 8:30am On Sep 09, 2013
hilda jid: Hello everyone pls I really need ur suggestions ASAP, I want 2 go to cotonou with my husband to rest from our wedding stress, pls how do we get there from lagos,and we need suggestions of good,but cheap hotels we can stay in and there possible prices. Pls wuld appreciate urgent responses. Thanks

i will like you to read this thead from the begining, i think your answers to your questions would be solved, any area you get confused then you can ask. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by oracletrustCA(m): 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2013
What about working there? Am going to be staying with my cousins aunt. Is it possible to work and what must one possess before one can work as a room attendant in a hotel?
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by zhukafa(m): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
oracletrustCA: What about working there? Am going to be staying with my cousins aunt. Is it possible to work and what must one possess before one can work as a room attendant in a hotel?

jobs are not easy to get and if you get one, they pay peanuts. But if you have already gotten a job, the employer would demand your passport and if any other academic credentials are been needed. If you speak french fluently, added advantage, because you will become an interpreter and they might even make you the manager.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Naijalastborn(m): 2:40pm On Sep 21, 2013
Guys I will traveling in few weeks, I need to know if truly I can use my Naira Master Card in Cotonou? And when the Bike has crossed the Border where exacty will they stopped, how easy is it to move ahead from the place to ones Destination?

The hotels you mention above? How far is it to this

Avenue Pape Jean Paul II,
Rue 364,

And if its too far, do you know of any cheap hotel near this adress.

Thanks
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Naijalastborn(m): 7:35pm On Oct 03, 2013
How can I take someone who doesn't have passport with me to Cross to Cotonou? I know people who be doing it ofcourse, Come on guys Share more light!
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by zhukafa(m): 12:39am On Oct 05, 2013
Naija_lastborn: How can I take someone who doesn't have passport with me to Cross to Cotonou? I know people who be doing it ofcourse, Come on guys Share more light!

read my earlier post on how to cross the boarder at ease. that method would ease you the headache of boarder problems.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by oriire(f): 12:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
@Zhukafa how will I pass through with my goods without any problem at the border when coming back? Also where do i change money? Please attend to my question, i want to go next week.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by zhukafa(m): 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2013
oriire: @Zhukafa how will I pass through with my goods without any problem at the border when coming back? Also where do i change money? Please attend to my question, i want to go next week.

You will change your money at the border, there are banks located before the conoil filling station at seme border. walk inside the bank area, there are so many people exchanging money there. secondly, how big is your goods, so to let me advice properly on the route to follow, at a cheaper cost.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Naijalastborn(m): 9:07pm On Oct 17, 2013
zhukafa:

You will change your money at the border, there are banks located before the conoil filling station at seme border. walk inside the bank area, there are so many people exchanging money there. secondly, how big is your goods, so to let me advice properly on the route to follow, at a cheaper cost.
Thanks Zhukafa. I got to Cotonou with less stress and I have a nice time ther. I am back in Lagos now.

For the Changing money, when you get to "SEME" after the Bank of Africa building there are a lot of People there changing Naira to Cefas.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by zhukafa(m): 5:40am On Oct 18, 2013
Naija_lastborn: Thanks Zhukafa. I got to Cotonou with less stress and I have a nice time ther. I am back in Lagos now.

For the Changing money, when you get to "SEME" after the Bank of Africa building there are a lot of People there changing Naira to Cefas.

Naija last born, you are welcomed. And am happy you had no stress and you are now back to Lagos.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by amdman: 10:36am On Oct 18, 2013
Am planning a short family vacation to Cotonou for wifey and I.

I prefer to drive from Lagos to Cotonou (don't really like public transport). Clarifications I need are as follows:

1. What do I need to drive across the border and back?

2. Is it compulsory to have a Nigerian passport as she doesn't have one?

3. Will I be able to buy personal items in Cotonou and return with them without restrictions or seizures at the border?
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by oriire(f): 1:52pm On Oct 19, 2013
Thanks so much Zhukafa, I want to buy bill of baby used cloths. Is this cheap there? And am thinking of famale shoes too. How can I cross border with these. Thank you.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by zhukafa(m): 10:25am On Oct 20, 2013
oriire: Thanks so much Zhukafa, I want to buy bill of baby used cloths. Is this cheap there? And am thinking of famale shoes too. How can I cross border with these. Thank you.

bails are cheaper in Cotonou but better in Togo. About crossing the goods there are many methods used.
1. From(misebo) being the market in Cotonuo, they charge 10000 per bail to deliver to Lagos.
2. You can cross it through Idi-iroko.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by oriire(f): 11:41am On Oct 20, 2013
Thanks, u mean i should go to Togo instead. Please how can i get to Togo, description pls. Which market do i go there to by bail of baby cloths, where do i change money there, after buying my goods how can i cross the borders with customs problem. Please kindly explain this to me. Thank u.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by oriire(f): 1:08pm On Oct 21, 2013
@Zukafa please kindly attend to my questions, i want to go this week. Please
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by dreallaide: 9:50pm On Nov 03, 2013
pls our thread admin,
I would like to know how much I could get an iPhone 4s or Samsung galaxy s4...pls I nid ur response so fast cos am going there in d next 3 days and would like to hold d exact sum of money from here in Nigeria cos I don't have a bank account..
thanks for your usual response
Weldon sir
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by ugsams(m): 6:08pm On Nov 04, 2013
OP, Well done for your effort in providing information here. Let me also add some information based on my most recent trip.

From my recent observations, there are a lot of changes at the border from what it used to be back then when I use to frequent Benin Republic. I came back from my short trip to Benin last week Wednesday.

I used to withdraw money at the Nigerian side of the border before crossing, I did same again. On crossing the border every where was so unorganized with new routes introduced. My bike customer of over three years requested to hold the money because the route can be unpredictable these days. When we crossed he gave me back the money immediately which I didn't count because I have given him much more in the past. I tried to do some exchange but I consider the rate high at N345 to 1000Francs so I decided to do the exchange at the Tokpa market. Something went wrong I lost some tens of thousands.

At the end of the day after my shopping, I ran out of cash and needed to make some withdrawal at the ATM using my GTB Naira Mastercard. I made the bitter discovery that all the machines around the Misebo market doesn't accept master card from Diamond bank to Ecobanks etc I had a chat with one of the security men at the bank he directed me to go to UBA that their ATM pays Mastercard, on getting there I was very disappointed because it rejected my card outrightly. I was directed from one bank to another until I get to the Societe Generale, their machine has the facility to pay mastercard but unfortunately it was under maintenance. I decided to wait hoping it will end in no time, I waited for over 30mins until the security men changed duty and advised me to come back tomorrow. I insisted and waited but after waiting for too long without any positive outcome I left in disappointment as the is almost empty.

MY ADVICE,
Open an Ecobank account here in Nigeria, get their Visa debit/ATM card, deposit all the money you intend to use in the account and withdraw little amount of money that can take you to Cotonou. By doing this you have reduced the risk of carrying cash across the border and all those shady bureau de change. You have also saved some money from exchange as the atm will be paying you at the official exchange rate of Naira to Francs.

SOME FIGURES FROM MY MOST RECENT TRIP

1)EXCHANGE RATE: N345 - 1,000 FRANCS(you can negotiate and get it less)

2)FROM IYANA IPAJA TO SEME BORDER: BUS N400, CAR N500 (These rates are applicable and available from this destination early in the morning, once it is afternoon you may have to go to Iyana Oba or mile 2 depending on where you stay)

3)CROSSING THE BORDER WITHOUT PASSPORT SHOULDN'T COST MORE THAN N1,000(it is actually cheaper N500 and less whether you are using bike or Vesper, but you need to be careful so you don't enter the wrong person that will extort you half way.

4)AT THE BENIN REPUBLIC SIDE OF THE BORDER, CARS CHARGE AN AVERAGE OF 1,000 FRANCS TO COTONOU(TOKPA) AND 5,000 FRANCS TO TOGO.(Remember 1,000 Francs is the equivalent of N345 Naira)

3 Likes

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by dreallaide: 7:55pm On Nov 04, 2013
dreal_laide: pls our thread admin,
I would like to know how much I could get an iPhone 4s or Samsung galaxy s4...pls I nid ur response so fast cos am going there in d next 3 days and would like to hold d exact sum of money from here in Nigeria cos I don't have a bank account..
thanks for your usual response
Weldon sir
,,abeg, either one of u should reply on time,pls...
I nid answers to my question
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by zhukafa(m): 9:43pm On Nov 04, 2013
dreal_laide: ,,abeg, either one of u should reply on time,pls...
I nid answers to my question

why not get it here in Nigeria. its more cheaper here compared to Cotonue.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by dreallaide: 10:01pm On Nov 04, 2013
zhukafa:

why not get it here in Nigeria. its more cheaper here compared to Cotonue.
sure? it's fucking expensive here o,and moreover am talking about second hand or London used.but believe me it's expensive here
just tell me how much I could get it there
tnx

1 Like

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by ugsams(m): 7:29am On Nov 05, 2013
dreal_laide:
sure? it's fucking expensive here o,and moreover am talking about second hand or London used.but believe me it's expensive here
just tell me how much I could get it there
tnx

Just like Zhukafa has answered you earlier, I know that phones and some electronics can be more expensive there, In fact there are other things that are much cheaper here in Nigeria. It is better you get this phone from here or take with you a little bit above the budget here in Nigeria. I don't live there, but when my friend gives me the price I will make it available to you.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by dreallaide: 6:29am On Nov 06, 2013
ugsams:

Just like Zhukafa has answered you earlier, I know that phones and some electronics can be more expensive there, In fact there are other things that are much cheaper here in Nigeria. It is better you get this phone from here or take with you a little bit above the budget here in Nigeria. I don't live there, but when my friend gives me the price I will make it available to you.
k,tnx ugsams, try and ask ur friends and let me know.and moreover, am not talking about d new 1,its either fairly used or London used that I want to buy. but just try to ask and let me know. thanks
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by dreallaide: 6:11pm On Nov 09, 2013
dreal_laide:
k,tnx ugsams, try and ask ur friends and let me know.and moreover, am not talking about d new 1,its either fairly used or London used that I want to buy. but just try to ask and let me know. thanks
una no help me ask again ni ugsams
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by viannes: 9:55pm On Nov 18, 2013
Please how much does first grade ok female shoes cost in cotonou? And how can I cross it from cotonou to Nigeria without problem.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply)

Poland Work Visa / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . / Nigerians At Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.