Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,833 members, 7,837,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

The God Question - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The God Question (805 Views)

Is The God Of Israel God Of ALL? / The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' / In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The God Question by emofine2(f): 12:52pm On Jan 08, 2012
Is there a God? undecided  This question has been posed numerous of times and debated to death. I've long stopped considering it a thought-provoking one.
Maybe I can engage more people's interest if I asked instead . . Is there a Creator? Is there a Source?. . .as God is synonymous with religion - Perhaps human beings created the notion of God.

For every book there is an author behind the script, for every art there is an artist behind the masterpiece hence I have accepted that I as a kinetic portrait, I am a 5ft8 walking evidence of a designer.
I don't quite know in what form this engineer embodies; whether this creator is a "He", is a body, is vapour, is liquid, etc and whilst I may remain clueless to the outer shell, countenance or form, even gender (if any) of this architect. . .I have reconciled with the idea that I have an author, an artist responsible for my language and visage.
Now the questions that haunts me is: Should mortals have a relationship with the creator? And who is the creator? And why do so many of us hope to find the creator? Must we worship this creator?

I even try not to attempt to understand the spiritual sphere logically or rationally because I don't believe that the physical nature is sufficient enough to understand the spiritual one and so I feel I have to operate beyond a certain boundary in trying to understand.

. . . but I'm like a child who was given up for adoption and now that I'm older I'm slightly more curious about my origin in the absence of religion and culture. And like many children who have been adopted the extra-curious ones usually try to make contact with their natural mother.

Where does one begin to search for their natural mother?

And if people such as agnostics and theists accept the idea that there is or could be a God, can you be content in only the knowledge that it's possible there is a creator?

Is it our duty as humans to diligently search for this Creator no matter how futile the quest?
Is it mandatory to forge a relationship with this Creator?
Or does a relationship already exist, akin to how the sun replenishes us with or without our influence/knowledge?

Everyone is seeking something; a job, a husband, a wife(s), love, cure, answers, God . . . so how does finding God the Creator change one's life?
Re: The God Question by claremont(m): 1:28pm On Jan 08, 2012
emöfine:

[size=14pt]Is there a God? [/size]
[b]You have highlighted the Agnostic and the Theist argument, so let me attempt to do justice to the Atheist argument. A lot of people erroneously think that the Atheist argument is that God does NOT exist, which indeed may be the case, but that is not the actual proposition we make. Our main proposition is that there is NO evidence to date that supports the existence of a God/gods anywhere, and its up to those who claim to know that God exists to produce the evidence that backs up their assertion. The difference between Atheists and religious adherents is that Atheists do not claim to know everything, our proposition is open to the test of science; but religious goons claim to know not only that a God exist somewhere, but they also claim to know the mind of that god, how he thinks, who he wants us to sleep with and/or the most recommended s-exual positions, and most importantly, where we go when we die. The religious goons claim to know what a rational human being cannot possibly know, not because they have any science to back up their assertions, but simply because of the fact that they belong to a religion.

God did NOT make man, but rather, it was man who made many gods over the course of centuries in a vain attempt to explain natural occurrences which he could not comprehend.
[/b]
emöfine:

[size=14pt]Is it mandatory to forge a relationship with this Creator? [/size]
[b]Absolutely NOT! Human beings have existed for generations without religion, so why should our generation be any different?! The only argument the Theist propose in this line is that religion is the source of morality for the human race, and that without religion, humanity will be inherently immoral and vile. This argument is not only as baseless as it sounds, but it is also an insult to the intellect and reasoning of human beings. That despicable argument is based on the assumption that all of humanity were born inherently immoral, and that the only way for human beings to make moral decisions and take moral actions, is only when they cling unto one form of religion or the other.

The Atheist argument is that human beings are born with the capacity to make/take moral actions for its own sake, and not for the sake of being a religious adherent. Moral actions are governed purely by the innate desire of human beings to ensure the survival of their species, a desire that is inherent in every animal. human beings do not need to cling unto something as immoral as religion in order to take a moral action, because by doing so, it automatically voids the morality of the action itself. A moral action is an action that is performed for its own sake, and not because of proselytizing a religious position, that defeats its main purpose. We do NOT need religion to dictate to us how to be moral, more importantly, we do not need a religion whose foundation is based on vicarious redemption and human sacrifice to define what morality is to us!

BTW, what happened to your former ID?! wink[/b]
Re: The God Question by emofine2(f): 2:51pm On Jan 08, 2012
I was not trying to represent a particular populace by the way but thank you for rendering the perspective of atheist's. I had no intention of leaving anybody out. By the way what type of evidence do atheists hope "religious goons" can provide as concrete proof that God exist?

I actually quite agree with some of the points you made. Ones such as these "but they also claim to know the mind of that god" etc. . .

I'm not adverse to the idea that a Creator exists. . .my main problem and doubt lays mostly with the many fraternities that try and depict God or claim ownership over this Being because some use that Being as a tool to portray their own personal beliefs or bias and project those notions as "godly" so in turn end up playing "God" dictating how others should be.

Absolutely NOT! Human beings have existed for generations without religion, so why should our generation be any different?!

If you had just said no, that answer would have been more than enough. But you compare human beings of yesteryear to human beings of today, so following that line of thinking  are we to forsake our clothes, technology etc because once upon a time earlier human beings didn't hang onto such? undecided
Our generation is different whether we adhere to the belief of a "God" or not.

The only argument the Theist propose in this line is that religion is the source of morality for the human race, and that without religion, humanity will be inherently immoral and vile.

I don't even subscribe to that myself in fact it's quite laughable and ironic really. Because if that were so, the humans that predated the Bible and other similar Scriptures were damned the day they were born. I doubt a person who does not follow religion is automatically of the mind that murder and stealing etc is appropriate so I cannot subscribe to that notion that morality is exclusive to the religious populace. Some rather give because of the goodness of their heart yet some "believers" give because they believe they will be rewarded for doing good. Isn't there already a condition to such charity? isn't that morality attached to a gift?

Even the bible made reference to those who did not receive the message of Christ will thus be judged under the "law". Laws which govern their community so obviously in the absence of religion human beings were/are still able to decipher between right and wrong.

That despicable argument is based on the assumption that all of humanity were born inherently immoral

Well, why do parents try to instill good behaviour and manners in their children?. . .Are virtues inherent or acquired?

Moral actions are governed purely by the innate desire of human beings to ensure the survival of their species, a desire that is inherent in every animal.

That's a very interesting statement and it immediately made me wonder if some human beings sub-consciously follow religion in order to be set apart from animals. I mean, human beings are able to forge a relationship with a/their creator whilst animals don't have such convictions. . . . .perhaps some humans want to exaggerate the difference between us and animals. . .I dunno. . .it was just a passing thought and in a few minutes I probably won't even lean towards that thinking again undecided

BTW, what happened to your former ID?! wink

I'm clumsy, I forgot my password and didn't use a valid email when I created my original account. Besides I was thinking of leaving permanently so when that happened I thought hmmm maybe it's a sign from the gods embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Mfm Prayer For Feb 14th / We Are All Actors And Actresses / Adeboye's Authority Is Weaning. He Is To Be Ousted!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.