Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,449 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu (9456 Views)

protesters Shut Down Onitsha And Asaba Today / Protesters Shut-down Governor’s Office In Abeokuta / Patience Jonathan Shuts Down Warri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by ibrash600: 1:08pm On Jan 09, 2012
WARRI- THE oil city of Warri, neighboring Effurun ,Udu and environs in Delta State were shut down Monday following a mass protestby irate citizens protesting the removal of fuel subsidy by the FederalGovernment.

The protest, which was in compliance with thedirective of the organized labour and civil society was led by the Delta statecoordinator of the NLC/TUC and civil society group, Casely Omon-Irabor Esq.

The response was massive and total from what Vanguardwitnessed a position that was corroborated by the state coordinator of the Forumfor Justice and Human Rights Defence, FJHD, Oghenejabor Ikimi Esq.
As at 6.00 am, Omon-Irabor was already at thetake-off point of the mass protest in Warri, according to our findings tocoordinate the day’s event, while people started gathering at about 7.30 am.
The protest commenced in Warri some few minutes to 9.00 am at the old Warri Port gate withprayers and advice from the organizers to the protesters to be orderly.

The previous night, there was an unconfirmed report that Boko Haram suicide bombers andmembers with guns and machete had infiltrated the subsidy protests in Lagos,Abuja, Edo, Delta, Kaduna, Kwara and Rivers states to cause mayhem.

Labour leaders and citizens were urged to be watchout for infiltrators, but in Warri, there was a heavy presence of security agents,as the protesters marched from old Warri Port enroute Effurun roundabout toGovernment House Annex, along the NPA expressway.

There was total compliance as shops, markets,offices and banks were all locked up. The main market, Warri and Okere marketwere also closed.
Omon-Irabor addressed the public at Okere marketjunction, stating reasons for the mass protests by Nigerians and calling all citizensto reject the bad policy, no matter the inconvenience. He said the will of peoplewould certainly triumph over the dictates of the powerful few in Aso Villa.
He said the motion passed, Sunday, by the House ofRepresentatives calling on the Federal Government to suspend the about 120 percent increase in the price of fuel was an indication that even those ingovernment know that the decision was ill advised, adding that except the priceof petrol was reverted to the old price of N65, the protests would continue.

As at 11.51 am, the protesters have reached EnerhenJunction and in the words of Oghenejabor Ikimi, “It is a peaceful protest and ahuge success. I can tell you that there is total compliance. Warri and environswere shut down. The protest here is a massive one”.
“I urge the president to respect the views of Nigerians and their representatives in theHouse of Representatives by suspending the removal of subsidy on petrol beforedialoging with Nigerians on the way forward”, he asserted.
Some members of the Maritime Workers Union ofNigeria told Vanguard that security operatives, especially those of Joint TaskForce, JTF, the Navy and Police, whose offices are located inside the port premises,were allowed to go inside to carry out their security duties.
Motor-cyclists, popularly known as Okada ridersand bus drivers were allowed to do their normal transportation business.
The resumption date for secondary and primaryschool students in the state was shifted by a week by the authorities toappraise the mass protest, while government agencies like the NNPC andDESOPADEC, along the Warri-Sapele Road, Warri locked up for fear of theunknown.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/protesters-shut-down-warri-effurun-udu/
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by jason123: 1:09pm On Jan 09, 2012
@Ogba

GOD WILL SURELY JUDGE!
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by teaf: 1:22pm On Jan 09, 2012
This is Jonathan's doing. Killing the same people who took so much risk and voted him. Prosperity will judge this criminal and heartless animal ruling us/.
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by jason123: 1:24pm On Jan 09, 2012
The dead man:
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jan 09, 2012
This is the reason we should start ignoring Beaf. He is worthless, see his people standing in unison against the evil gej. Will he call them fools too?
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by 4good(m): 1:38pm On Jan 09, 2012
This is really uncalled for. May God have mercy on this Bloody nation.
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by KIM2004: 1:38pm On Jan 09, 2012
Can you please show us also the man and some placard of the fuel susbsidy or maybe those around him with the protest slogan. You guys are just trying to decieve us worst than the government you are supposely fighting.
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by naijaking1: 1:39pm On Jan 09, 2012
jason123:

The dead man:

Is there no limit to your forgery, impersonation, and misinformation?
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by PurestBoy(m): 1:48pm On Jan 09, 2012
jason123:

The dead man:

are u sure this is the dead guy at Ogba?
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jan 09, 2012
Dont mind these nairaland protesters. They should go out under the sun and do it.
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by Finland(m): 1:52pm On Jan 09, 2012
KIM2004:

Can you please show us also the man and some placard of the fuel susbsidy or maybe those around him with the protest slogan. You guys are just trying to decieve us worst than the government you are supposely fighting.
Even if it's not in ogba and it does not have anything to do with the protest. Are you justifying the killing of an innocent  unarmed man? The police killed this guy and this is sheer extra-judicial killing. That is part of what Nigerians are protesting against today. No to Corruption in all sector including the police.
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by jason123: 1:52pm On Jan 09, 2012
naijaking1:

Is there no limit to your forgery, impersonation, and misinformation?

Please, SHUT IT!

PurestBoy:

are u sure this is the dead guy at Ogba?

Not too sure, got it from twitter, another pic :

Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by jason123: 1:53pm On Jan 09, 2012
Finland:

Even if it's not in ogba and it does not have anything to do with the protest. Are you justifying the killing of an innocent  unarmed man? The police killed this guy and this is sheer extra-judicial killing. That is part of what Nigerians are protesting against today. No to Corruption in all sector including the police.

EXACTLY!!!
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by Doubleen: 2:15pm On Jan 09, 2012
:-x
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by lekerenike: 2:17pm On Jan 09, 2012
You need to read the link here , in fact NOW is the revolution. Now Now Now, http://www.globebreaknews..com/2012/01/horror-graphic-image-police-kill.html
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by lekerenike: 2:18pm On Jan 09, 2012
http://www.globebreaknews..com/2012/01/horror-graphic-image-police-kill.html[url=http://[url=http://][url][/url]]][url][/url][/url]
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by honeric01(m): 2:19pm On Jan 09, 2012
Segun Fabunmi the DPO of pen cinema police station shot ademola aderinde dead @ ogba. The vehicle registration number is RS101LA and from all news from brodacast Segun Fabunmi is said to be current DPO at Pen-Cinema Police Station, Victor Okafor was transferred. So, Segun was the one in the shooting!and replaced with pls re-broadcast, People let think hw to flush niaija police,
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by ARareGem(f): 2:21pm On Jan 09, 2012
That murderer must be brought to book!
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jan 09, 2012
[size=15pt]Patrick Added another vocab today: CABALOCRACY !!![/size]
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by moshoodn(m): 2:34pm On Jan 09, 2012
Let Jonathan rot in Hell!

Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by paddymo(m): 2:34pm On Jan 09, 2012
that guy must have gone extra-miles, the demonstration should be peaceful and not riot
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by gascoign1(m): 2:44pm On Jan 09, 2012
Avoid spreading unconfirmed reports,
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by jake7703(m): 2:53pm On Jan 09, 2012
OMG, I am a korean who live in Lagos,
How could possibly police kill an inocent unarmed civilian
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jan 09, 2012
jake7703:

OMG, I am a korean who live in Lagos,
How could possibly police kill an inocent unarmed civilian

It is something they do on a regular basis. It will never stop until Nigerians start to kill them back.
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by asoebi(m): 3:07pm On Jan 09, 2012
#Occupy Nigeria
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by figment232(m): 3:08pm On Jan 09, 2012
@post

Pls you must stop spreading falshood,there is no iota of truth in your report.I stay in warri and i stand to state here that there was no single demostration against fuel subsidy in warri ,effurun or udu.What i observed is that most stores and locked,but the markets are open,people are going about freely without fear.Please retrack your story.
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by sledge001(m): 3:33pm On Jan 09, 2012
hey!are some pips trying to defend the police or wat?who gives a bloody hell if dats d dead man's pic or not?i'm sure u won't be dat reasonable if it were a friend or a family member.The point is dt dis fools re suppose to protect lives n not otherwise.the killer shd have bin stonned to death, shit!!!!!!!
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by oseiwe(m): 3:36pm On Jan 09, 2012
figment232:

@post

Pls you must stop spreading falshood,there is no iota of truth in your report.I stay in warri and i stand to state here that there was no single demostration against fuel subsidy in warri ,effurun or udu.What i observed is that most stores and locked,but the markets are open,people are going about freely without fear.Please retrack your story.
seconded. deres no protest anywhere. vanguard don lie.
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by swaggerboi2011: 3:37pm On Jan 09, 2012
:p :p
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by ARareGem(f): 3:55pm On Jan 09, 2012
figment232:

@post

I stay in Warri and there were protest demonstration. But I'm not sure about the killing.
Re: Protesters Shut Down Warri, Effurun, Udu by fred2265: 4:08pm On Jan 09, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo Speak: Aisha Buhari Visited Qatar Not USA- Pics / Edo Speaker Drags National Assembly To Court Over Plan To Takeover Edo Assembly / Wike: The Attention-Seeking Champion Of Opportunistic Justice - Ugoji Egbujo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.