Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,609 members, 7,820,166 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums (8299 Views)

Task Force Para-Military Officer Stabbed By Hoodlums In Oshodi, Lagos (Photos) / Jonathan’s Men Throw Out Journalist From Villa / Breaking News: Ado Ekiti Has Been Taking Over By Hoodlums (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Beaf: 11:26pm On Jan 12, 2012
[size=14pt]Police save journalist from being set ablaze by hoodlums[/size]
On January 12, 2012 · In News
By Olasunkanmi Akoni

LAGOS — Save for the timely intervention of policemen on patrol, a journalist, Mr Charles Akpan with Inspiration 32.5 FM would have been set ablaze, today, when a group of armed hoodlums intercepted him on his way to work.

Akpan, who narrated his ordeal to Vanguard, said the incident happened in the early hours of yesterday, at Jakande Estate, Lekki area of Lagos, when he ran into one of the many road blocks mounted by hoodlums under the guise of being fuel subsidy protesters.

He said: “The experience was indeed horrible. I thank God for sparing my life. I commend the timely intervention of the police, who saved me from their stronghold. I met several other road blocks from my residence in Ajah. The road blocks mounted were about 100 metres away from each other. At one of the points, the hoodlums, who would not listen to me asked what I was doing on the road when I was supposed to be at home, if I was not a government’s agent.

“At that point, they demanded for my identity card when I told them I was journalist working for their interest as a patriotic Nigerian. But they later let me off after extorting me. I was not lucky enough when I got to Jakande Estate, Lekki Bus-stop. The boys there were violent and ordered me to step out of the car as they wouldn’t listen to my plea.

“One of them, suspected to be the leader of the group asked for a jar of petrol to be used to set me alight but at that point, the police patrol team raced to the scene and rescued me from their hands. I quickly sped off to the office in shock.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/police-save-journalist-from-being-set-ablaze-by-hoodlums/
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Beaf: 11:27pm On Jan 12, 2012
Even in far away UK, the Guardian reported the beating and robbing of innocent Lagosians by area boys around the Jakande Estate area.
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Beaf: 11:30pm On Jan 12, 2012
Widespread fury at the removal of the subsidies, which President Jonathan has likened to a "cancer" that eats more than $6bn (£3.9bn) in government funding annually, has set the stage for a bitter showdown. In the impoverished Jakonde neighbourhood of Lagos, gangs of youths prevented residents from leaving their houses.

"It has been a terrible day, a really messed up day," said taxi driver Segun Alabi. "People have been trying to get to the market for even some small food, or to make a little money, but the area boys have said they are striking on our behalf and stopped any cars from leaving. Children are hungry at home."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/11/nigeria-islamists-claims-war-christians

Why?
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by emiye(m): 11:34pm On Jan 12, 2012
Beaf:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/11/nigeria-islamists-claims-war-christians

Why?

Those area boys are the products of the failed government at the centre. The policy sommersault by the irresponsible PDP government has continued to churn out social outcasts like hot bread from a bakery.

I wont be surprise if there are unemployed graduates in the mob, or possibly school drop outs (not because they are not brilliant) but the PDP policies at the centre has strengthened poverty in Nigeria, with 92.4% living on less than  $2/day
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by MrGlobe(m): 11:35pm On Jan 12, 2012
^beaf
I hope the journalist will be raining curses on both jonathan and all his butlers for causing this avoidable situation. !d!0t
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by jmaine: 11:41pm On Jan 12, 2012
emiye:

Those area boys are the products of the failed government at the centre. The policy sommersault by the irresponsible PDP government has continued to churn out social outcasts like hot bread from a bakery.

I wont be surprise if there are unemployed graduates in the mob, or possibly school drop outs (not because they are not brilliant) but the PDP policies at the centre has strengthened poverty in Nigeria, with 92.4% living on less than  $2/day

Guess who is the undisputed king and enhancer of area boys in Lagos . .Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu . . and he is not of the PDP . . . just to let you know cool
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by emiye(m): 11:54pm On Jan 12, 2012
^^ Are you beaf's PA?.

Your statement is silly at best, seems like what a man from the gutters will say while high on beer.
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by jmaine: 12:00am On Jan 13, 2012
emiye:

^^ Are you beaf's PA?.

Your statement is silly at best, seems like what a man from the gutters will say while high on beer.

Inference deducted: You know nothing about Lagos state politics . . .the informed would have answered saying . .it's politics and the necessary evil to fight the PDP

Though i anticipated a putrid response from you and others . .so your forgiven
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by MrGlobe(m): 12:02am On Jan 13, 2012
^emiye
No bro, its beaf himself - second account. He wants to create majority on the forum with himself.
The dude is retarrded
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Nchara: 12:04am On Jan 13, 2012
Those are the SW protesters, not area boys! Okay protester-area boys grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by jmaine: 12:06am On Jan 13, 2012
Mr. Globe:

^emiye
No bro, its beaf himself - second account. He wants to create majority on the forum with himself.
The dude is retarrded

so intelligent . .how did you figure that out quickly . . . Am Seun . . .Am Efisher . . .Am . . . Nchara grin . . .Am Alj Harem cheesy . . .Am Jason123 . . . am just everyone grin
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Beaf: 12:08am On Jan 13, 2012
emiye:

How silly can things get? I wonder why there are no area boys in Ekiti, Rivers or Delta?
It is daft not to blame the area boy syndrome on failures of govt at local and state levels. Maybe you think state and LG govts are there for mere decoration and to share free money.

Make I hear word jare!

The failed political system in Lagos, produced the area boy phenomenon; the same failed politics produced your daft #occupy that needed area boys to force people to off the roads, rob them and almost set some alight in a visionless protest to nowhere.

All hail ACN, party of thugs and failed protests.
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Mogidi: 12:10am On Jan 13, 2012
jmaine:

Guess who is the undisputed king and enhancer of area boys in Lagos . .Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu . . and he is not of the PDP . . . just to let you know  cool

Am surprised Nairaland spam bot allowed you to type "Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu" and even more shocked you implied he is an area boy.Hey no one was supposed to say he's an area boy ok, GEJ is supposed to be the root of all evil.
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by emiye(m): 12:19am On Jan 13, 2012
Beaf:

I wonder why there are no area boys in Ekiti, Rivers or Delta?

Did you mean to ask that question ? you mean there are no area boys in those places?

Social outcast (a.k.a area boys, almajiri, ND militants e.t.c ) abound in the 36 states of the federation.

Don't ask any of your PA to respond next time, their IQ can not be more than 40, They are simply trolls better ignored,
I believe your IQ is roughly twice as much.
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by jmaine: 12:19am On Jan 13, 2012
Mogidi:

Am surprised Nairaland spam bot allowed you to type "Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu" and even more shocked you implied he is an area boy.Hey no one was supposed to say he's an area boy ok, GEJ is supposed to be the root of all evil.

Edited grin .
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Mogidi: 12:28am On Jan 13, 2012
jmaine:

What shyte were you trying to say again dude . . .

You missed the joke but its all good.
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by jmaine: 12:41am On Jan 13, 2012
Mogidi:

You missed the joke but its all good.

My Bad Edited grin . . . .
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Beaf: 12:54am On Jan 13, 2012
emiye:

Did you mean to ask that question ? you mean there are no area boys in those places?

Social outcast (a.k.a area boys, almajiri, ND militants e.t.c ) abound in the 36 states of the federation.

Don't ask any of your PA to respond next time, their IQ can not be more than 40, They are simply trolls better ignored,
I believe your IQ is roughly twice as much.

You are very funny indeed and stup!d too. ND militants took up arms because of the filth, polution and death levied on them to feed your raz arse. Even with the free money from the FG, all that state has done is produce area boys that talk like evil spirits, because the braindead like you do not ask questions or realise that they aren't mere worms, but actually have rights.

It is the failure of of your state government and only God knows if you yourself, are an area boy.

Area boys

Map of Lagos (Lagos Island in lower middle).
Area boys (also known as Agberos)[1] are loosely organized gangs of street children and teenagers, composed mostly of males (but with a few females), who roam the streets of Lagos, Nigeria.[2] They extort money from passers-by, sell illegal drugs, act as informal security guards, and perform other "odd jobs" in return for compensation.[3] The groups are based in Lagos Island, a Local Government Area in Lagos and the most urbanised part of Nigeria.[4]

[edit] Demographics

Area boys, who are largely Yoruba, have existed in the city since the early 1980s. However, under various names, types of Area Boys have been traced back to the 1920s.[5] In 2007, the total number of area boys in Lagos was estimated at over 35,000 by a member of the Lagos State Judiciary;[6] as of 1996, the number of them operating on Lagos Island alone was placed around 1,000.[4] A 1996 study of area boys on Lagos Island by Abubakar Momoh showed that only 26.4% of area boys were from Lagos State; Ogun State (22.6%), Kwara State (14.2%), and Oyo State (14.1%) all produced more than 10% of respondents. Most were between twelve and thirty-five years old.[7]

Asked whether they were "proud" to be area boys, 18% of respondents said yes, while 75% said no (7% did not respond).[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_boys

[size=14pt]I go chop you raw!!![/size] grin

[img]http://woahnigeria.files./2011/06/area-boy-1.png[/img]
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by dustydee: 1:36pm On Jan 13, 2012
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by monkeyleg: 1:39pm On Jan 13, 2012
@Beaf,

Finally, na ya picture be dat?
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by y2kaustin(m): 2:01pm On Jan 13, 2012
that should be his picture,cos things he says,look exactly like the picture, cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Wilywily10: 2:09pm On Jan 13, 2012
Because of no more free oil money, Yorubas want to set journalist ablaze. Egunje Yorubas are stuupid
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by 9jafreak: 2:12pm On Jan 13, 2012
[size=16pt]The international media is ONLY interested in the BAD REPORTS.

The silent revolution has been largely ignored because it is a shocker!

Nigerians are not normally known to stand up for the truth! Now the American Establishment is monitoring proceedings closely before determining the next agenda
[/size]
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by cantell(m): 2:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
-Wilywily:

Because of no more free oil money, Yorubas want to set journalist ablaze. Egunje Yorubas are stuupid
Lol. You no well.
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by stagger: 2:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
That nigga is not playing o! No dull! grin
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 13, 2012
9jafreak:

[size=16pt]The international media is ONLY interested in the BAD REPORTS.

The silent revolution has been largely ignored because it is a shocker!

Nigerians are not normally known to stand up for the truth! Now the American Establishment is monitoring proceedings closely before determining the next agenda
[/size]
seconded!!!
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by AroOkigbo(m): 2:50pm On Jan 13, 2012
**the police are your friends**
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by oc2fish: 3:01pm On Jan 13, 2012
@Beaf In my village in Delta State 14 to 15 year old journ cult, smoke weed and refuse to
do any productive activities. Please do not say we do not have area boys in Delta state. I
cry every day because our youth are on the part of destruction. In an adjacent village during
the xmas holiday a friend of mine call the youth from his village and we were inform that
they just want to make it. (HAVE MONEY FROM ANY SOURCE WITHOUT WORKING)

Beaf this are youth with NO known employable skill and do not wish to learn any skill
Please Mr Beaf lets face the reality, we have bad goverment who careless about the
people.

BEAF, the youth in Delta state are suffering.
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by velo10: 3:20pm On Jan 13, 2012
It's this kind of news that a buttface called beaf would post
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
emiye:

In the ND, every militant sabi im papa house, can this be said of, the area boys in Lagos? Even plus including, their area father, asiwaju something something,
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by kizito96(m): 3:55pm On Jan 13, 2012
People should be careful.
Re: Subsidy: Police Save Journalist From Being Set Ablaze By Hoodlums by manny4life(m): 4:38pm On Jan 13, 2012
Having heard some many atrocities committed in Lagos alone, it's time FG moves in to restore ORDER because this is gradually getting out of hand. Why the hell would you want to set someone ablaze? That is fuc.king barbaric, this is one of the cons associated with unplanned protest. Security laxity is a major cause, this nonsense is becoming distasteful, gradually defeating the purpose of the protest.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Acknowledged His Wife Before Osibanjo! / NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers / APC And Abacha Forces Inject Dirty Money To Hijack Ann,but Hashim Is Unstoppable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.