Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,127 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? (23195 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: APC Asks Kachikwu To Resign, Silent On Buhari The Oil Minister / Why Islamic Scholars Are Silent On Boko Haram, By Governor Kashim Shettima / Presidency Silent On Patience Jonathans Whereabouts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by canuck(m): 11:26am On Jan 13, 2012
Without degenerating into another NL tribal conflict can anyone please proffer reasons why Eastern Nigeria is apathetic, indifferent and sometimes in direct opposition to the ongoing protests against fuel subsidy removal (FSR) by the Federal Government?

An Eastern senator actually tagged the ongoing strike action as a "Lagos thing".

Even minority Eastern states (Cross Rivers, etc) are towing the same line. There's got to be cogent reasons.

Are the market conditions different east of River Niger? I ask because every Igbo person I know who resides in Western Nigeria is either on the streets protesting, actively raising material support (like water, etc) for protesters, or expressly supporting the ongoing civil protests. Also, Lagos-based Igbo commentators are constantly on TV making a highly intelligent case for the reversal of FSR.

It is perplexing to me as the struggle is based on a nationwide policy that impacts everyone.

While I understand that there is never 100% support for a civil agitation in histrory books, this block indifference concerns me.

Eastern Nigerians are generally principled people who stand up for what is right. Do they see FSR as right? Or are they just battle weary?

Does anyone know why?

Again, please avoid bigotory remarks - I know that's asking for too much from some people on NL, but make una try small, abeg.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by philip0906(m): 11:29am On Jan 13, 2012
i have 2 admit dat my south eastern brodas have sold their souls 2 d devil. . .very unfortunate
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by MrGlobe(m): 11:33am On Jan 13, 2012
^
well said bro. But not to the devil, to jonathan. Illiteracy is killing them faster than hunger is doing to somalians. What do they know? Very little media presence there
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by philip0906(m): 11:41am On Jan 13, 2012
^^
I'm 4rm abia state but its very unfortunate that my igbo brodas can allow "ethnicity" and naira 2 becloud their sense of reasoning. . .
our brodas r massacred in d north without d weakling of a president doing nada and instead of seizing this opportunity 2 vent their anger they keep mute. . .very unfortunate
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by MrGlobe(m): 11:51am On Jan 13, 2012
Sellouts
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by portacabin: 12:03pm On Jan 13, 2012
Petrol has been selling above N65 in the east f for a long time now.
The strike is on because banks are shutdown and civil servants are note going to work
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by OneNaira6: 12:09pm On Jan 13, 2012
How many thread will you people open about this? It like a repeat over repeat, it gets weary after all especially since they've giving the reason of their silence multiple times. It is getting desperate I say, trying to force people to join a protest they do not support is rather silly. let them be.
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by aljharem(m): 12:10pm On Jan 13, 2012
portacabin:

Petrol has been selling above N65 in the east f for a long time now.
The strike is on because banks are shutdown and civil servants are note going to work

so petrol is sold for 70-80 naira before now, How much do you think it would be sold for now with the increase in PMS ?

Lol, na wa o

I wonder how some people think ?
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by canuck(m): 12:12pm On Jan 13, 2012
philip0906:

^^
I'm 4rm abia state but its very unfortunate that my igbo brodas can allow "ethnicity" and naira 2 becloud their sense of reasoning. . .
our brodas r massacred in d north without d weakling of a president doing nada and instead of seizing this opportunity 2 vent their anger they keep mute. . .very unfortunate

Mr. Globe:

Sellouts

Thanks philip0906 and Mr. Globe. May be a a good number of Eastern leaders were paid-off, and that will explain why Igbo top-shots are not supporting FSR.

But GEJ can't buy the common man in all Eastern states.

Igbos are naturally egalitarian, independently-minded people who are not easily led by their noses by their leaders. So, even if their leaders are "settled", the people will still protest.

It appears that the common man in Eastern Nigeria does not identify. Why?
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 13, 2012
Why should we? We are thinking on how to rid ourselves of this cancer called Nigeria. Our brothers are being killed with impunity. That should be our worry.

You all are always looking for others to do your dirty bidding. Mind your priorities.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by aljharem(m): 12:22pm On Jan 13, 2012
Olodostein:

Why should we? We are thinking on how to rid ourselves of this cancer called Nigeria. Our brothers are being killed with impunity. That should be our worry.

You all are always looking for others to do your dirty bidding. Mind your priorities.

Yours brothers are being killed and the best solution is to be quite about the whole thing undecided
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 13, 2012
alj harem:

Yours brothers are being killed and the best solution is to be quite about the whole thing undecided

alj Boko Haram, what is your business with our business? Why don't you stick your mouth where it fits. We don't need your sympathy and for you to tell us what to do. Keep dreaming of your 72 virgins.

We are not part of your Nigerian project.  He who laugh last, laugh best. It will dawn on you.
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by OneNaira6: 12:40pm On Jan 13, 2012
When did the protest become a protest against Boko Haram The SE leaders, Biafran liberation, etc are quiet despite having a thread posted a while ago saying otherwise. Really? smh
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 13, 2012
You guys are so funny & uninformed.

1. Our enocomy in the South East is more of entreprenuership than civil service & oil companies. Most of our income is not slary based. We work hard, and I mean that we work hard. If fuel increases, our goods & services will also increase. Market forces will simply help us to balance up,

2. We have more concerns for now than subsidy. We can't cant be demostrating agaist a policy that will save the lives of our brothers. Subsidized fuel is smuggled accross borders in exchange for arms & bombs used by Nigerians to kill our brothers. We are in mourning mood.

3. Subsidy is not worth dying for. When NLC/TUC calls for a protest against 8oko Haram, and all the senless slaughtering of our brothers, then we can join.

4. Those championing these protects are the ones that ruined goverment parastertals. Its the members of the NLC that ran down the refineries, NITEL, NEPA/PHCN, etc.

5. Project Nigeria has failed, we are busy brain storming on alternative.

Em, one more thing. Jonathan will surely bring an end to free oil, its only a matter of time.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Lasinoh: 2:06pm On Jan 13, 2012
They have learned their lessons.
Never have anything to do with the owners of Nigeria(Hausa and Yoruba)! grin
Abi you want over 2million of them to make faces like 'abandoned property and project' for years again? shocked

If Ndi Igbo put mouth for this Subidy matter. . . na dem heads go be sacrificial lambs again.
Subsidy na Nigerian headache. . . .Not Ohaneze headache o. Na trap. cheesy

Because, they are Biafrans. . . living in Northern Nigeria. Not Nigerians. cheesy
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by karlmax2: 2:14pm On Jan 13, 2012
noblezone:

1. Our enocomy in the South East is more of entreprenuership than civil service & oil companies. Most of our income is not slary based. We work hard, and I mean that we work hard. If fuel increases, our goods & services will also increase. Market forces will simply help us to balance up,

2. We have more concerns for now than subsidy. We can't cant be demostrating agaist a policy that will save the lives of our brothers. Subsidized fuel is smuggled accross borders in exchange for arms & bombs used by Nigerians to kill our brothers. We are in mourning mood.

3. Subsidy is not worth dying for. When NLC/TUC calls for a protest against 8oko Haram, and all the senless slaughtering of our brothers, then we can join.

4. Those championing these protects are the ones that ruined goverment parastertals. Its the members of the NLC that ran down the refineries, NITEL, NEPA/PHCN, etc.

Em, one more thing. Jonathan will surely bring an end to free oil, its only  a matter of time, QED

And one more thing we want the subsidy money to develop our state and local governmentwe can be subsidizing fuel for the so called overpulated and rich south and north it is a matter of equity!!!!
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Dede1(m): 2:18pm On Jan 13, 2012
Lasinoh:

They have learned their lessons.
Never have anything to do with the owners of Nigeria(Hausa and Yoruba)! grin
Abi you want over 2million of them to make faces like 'abandoned property and project' 2 years for again?

Because, they are Biafrans. . . living in Northern Nigeria. Not Nigerians. cheesy

Sometimes you sound intelligent while many other times goofy.

@ philip0906 and Mr. Globe
If both of you fancy Nigeria as paradise and honestly call yourselves Igbo, why have you not protested against the abandoned property policy in PH, River State?
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Dede1(m): 2:22pm On Jan 13, 2012
canuck:

Thanks philip0906 and Mr. Globe. May be a a good number of Eastern leaders were paid-off, and that will explain why Igbo top-shots are not supporting FSR.

But GEJ can't buy the common man in all Eastern states.

Igbos are naturally egalitarian, independently-minded people who are not easily led by their noses by their leaders. So, even if their leaders are "settled", the people will still protest.

It appears that the common man in Eastern Nigeria does not identify. Why?

There are more important things that occupy average Igbo person’s mind such as “Abandon Property” in Port Harcourt, Rivers State than a hike in price of fuel.
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Dede1(m): 2:29pm On Jan 13, 2012
noblezone:

Em, one more thing. Jonathan will surely bring an end to free oil, its only a matter of time.

In addition, when the idiotic leadership of NLC/TUC deemed it necessary to spend 500 billion naira on luxurious buses built in south east via INNOSON MOTORS instead of the buses built in Republic of China.
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by manchy7531: 2:31pm On Jan 13, 2012
please you guys should try to differentiate strike and street protest, they are on strike which is a form of protest.that they are not on the street doesn't meant there are not protesting.BTW an average SE man is a proud man who will not stoop so low to come beg for hangout or cry.he has more pressing issues to deal with and not crying on the street.after all igbos are Lagos,Kano,Abuja and all the major cities and they are protesting there too also Nollywood too is protesting.we have been buying fuel as much as 100buck before the so called subsidy removal,what difference will it make selling fuel at 150buck

Back to the rantings,Must it be the igbos,why is nobody talking about ibibio,efik,calaba,oron,uyo,makurdi,jos,taraba,, must it be igbos/SE.wetin them do una??i tout you guys said their voice is not relevant in nigeria so why are you guys so desperate to make them join the protest,

IMO i think the subsidy protest is a misguided protest,we should rather be protesting for true federalism,resource control,judicial and EFCC autonomy,removal of immunity for our leaders,PIB,NNPC REFORMS,trial of past corrupt leaders,Education reforms,health reforms,better welfare package,transparency in governances.those are the things that will change affect us as Nigerians and not subsidy.cos subsidy will not stop corruption,it will not make EFCC stronger,it will not make the judiciary better,it will not make them try obj,bankole,tinubu,atiku, and the rest.you guys should use your heads and dont be mislead by selfish people(who lost in election) that are looking for political point, don't make your education be a waste(educated illiterates) choose the right things to fight for and not waste you time and i think the SE and generality of the SS did the right thing to stay away from the street protest considering the fact the there are still finding the right time to strike back at bokoharam and their people which the protest could be a fertile ground but i think they are much matured about it and i can say they are wisher , its high time money must work and monkey must chop.face you life and make a good living.stop all these igbo obsession, if it is not an igbo issue your trend cant attract attention, NA WA OOO,

Imagine a bakare,elrufia and the ACN fools using the subsidy to score points, if i may ask what happened to the lekki toll gate protest did you get anything?did your fashola and other state governors not support the subsidy removal?afteral most people say they support subsidy removal but the timing is wrong so what does that tell you?it means GEJ is doing the right thing.

the most annoying part of it will be when NLC leaders will collect money and they will bargain with federal government to reduce the price of fuel to like 100naira or at least 80-90naira.so who wins FG or labour and their mumu followers, fools, please Nigerians USE YOUR HEADS.FG,NLC,CSO are all the same.the so called SAVE NIGERIA GROUP is it no lead by a political pastor(bakare)
they are all opportunist  in search of relevance and political grant, The more you look the less you see,

1 Like

Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by joeyfire(m): 2:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
@topic - I was wondering the same thing. The truth is that people who live in the east do not feel d se is part of nigeria, that's my honest opinion. The east is frightfully devoid of the basic infrastructure that the FG is supposed to provide. Fuel prices have been at least N50 above the prevailing price in other places. That mindset is then combined with manipulation by some of our kinsmen who are sold and captured for GEJ. You now see where its going
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by naijaking1: 2:37pm On Jan 13, 2012
@op
FYI, even with the so-called subsidy, petrol sold much higher in the east anyway. For the past 2-3 years, we've been complaining that a liter sells for an avearge of 100 naira in the east while the price had remained 65naira in the "privilaged" north and other places.
So why would you think the same easterners who have been marginalized from everything like number of states, to good roads, to federal appointments, to official miscounting of their census, and now to the price of petrol would troop to the streets to support your protestss
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by aljharem(m): 2:42pm On Jan 13, 2012
naijaking1:

@op
FYI, even with the so-called subsidy, petrol sold much higher in the east anyway. For the past 2-3 years, we've been complaining that a liter sells for an avearge of 100 naira in the east while the price had remained 65naira in the "privilaged" north and other places.
So why would you think the same easterners who have been marginalized from everything like number of states, to good roads, to federal appointments, to official miscounting of their census, and now to the price of petrol would troop to the streets to support your protestss

can you shut up and stop these lies. how can the average be 100 Naira ? when one of the most booming commercial centre in the east Nnewi is about 75-80 Naira.

Who do you think you are deceiving here ?

Rubbish
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by nduchucks: 2:45pm On Jan 13, 2012
naijaking1:

@op

The reasons for the non participation of Ndigbo resident in the East, in the fuel subsidy strikes are quite senseless and counterproductive. More sensible Igbo boys are on strike and are protesting all over the country. Your leaders in the East are miscalculating again and when the time comes to reap the gains of the protests, the same leaders will be crying marginalization.  What a crop of dumb leaders!
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by manchy7531: 2:51pm On Jan 13, 2012
can you shut up and stop these lies. how can the average be 100 Naira ? when one of the most booming commercial centre in the east Nnewi is about 75-80 Naira.

Who do you think you are deceiving here ?

Rubbish

You are the biggest fool on Nairaland.you better find how you will help all those your almajiri littered all over the streets of west Africa cos your leaders are the most irresponsible leaders i know.both political and private unless bill gate and his likes will keep on coming to kano to test new polio drugs which maybe dangerous to their health.am sure you are aware of the Pfizer case that kill some children in kano. when you have the likes of thief dangote,dantata,sanusi who can change all the over night by just educating them and giving them scholarships
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by manchy7531: 2:55pm On Jan 13, 2012
Your leaders in the East are miscalculating again and when the time comes to reap the gains of the protests, the same leaders will be crying marginalization.  What a crop of dumb leaders!

And what has your well calculate leaders done for you?how have they made your life better? rather they are the once that have put GEJ in this mess.

I will rather have an elected igbo leader lead me in biafra than a selected igbo leader lead me in Nigeria.

Nigerians with all their foolish wise calculating leaders, hahahahahah.
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by naijaking1: 2:56pm On Jan 13, 2012
ndu_chucks:

The reasons for the non participation of Ndigbo resident in the East, in the fuel subsidy strikes are quite senseless and counterproductive. More sensible Igbo boys are on strike and are protesting all over the country. Your leaders in the East are miscalculating again and when the time comes to reap the gains of the protests, the same leaders will be crying marginalization.  What a crop of dumb leaders!

Mallam, do you think it's wise for easterners to protest so that northerners can get their petrol at price less than what they(easterners) have been paying for years?
This is not about leadership, but about reality.

manchy7531:

You are the biggest fool on Nairaland.you better find how you will help all those your amajiri littered on all the streets of west Africa cos your leaders are the most irresponsible leaders i know.both political and private unless bill gaten and his likes will keep on coming to kano to test new polio drugs which maybe dangerous to their health.an sure you are aware of the pfizer case that kill some children in kano. when you have the likes of thief dangote,dantata,sanusi who can change all the over night.

Oh, please ignore the uneducated islamic fundamentalist fo.ool. He doesn't deserve a reply, ignore him, and he will buzz off like an irritating sahara desert fly.
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by aljharem(m): 3:00pm On Jan 13, 2012
Only an ideeiot would listen to the lies of this people

If it was always sold fro 150 naira as they claim, why then increase their prices then ?

Mumu people

Chaos broke out in Awka, the Anambra State capital yesterday when it dawned on residents that a 131 per cent increase in the price of petrol had crept on them.

Commercial bus drivers and their customers engage themselves in bitter arguments, and even fisticuffs before the situation sunk in as the day wore on, the commuters realised that the situation was the same everywhere.

A survey of the situation in Onitsha, Nnewi, Ekwulobia, Awka and even Enugu revealed that the pump price petrol was between N150 and N180 a litre. Many commuters were forced back home, as short distances that hitherto cost N30 became N50, and destinations that were before now N100 turned N300. Awka to Enugu, which used to be N250 is now N1,000.

Also, most filling stations within the Enugu metropolis refused to open for business, while the very few that opened sold at between N180 and N200 a litre.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/jan/3/16.html
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by aljharem(m): 3:00pm On Jan 13, 2012
Am still coming back angry
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by manchy7531: 3:01pm On Jan 13, 2012
Your leaders in the East are miscalculating again and when the time comes to reap the gains of the protests, the same leaders will be crying marginalization

This sound like a bride.so the SE joins the protest so the will reap the gains of the protest by giving them presidency, hahahahah.

your trick will not work this time.don't worry we will hit Nigerian when the time is ripe and at that time all you cowards and betrayers will be punished.idiotic Shallow thinkers
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by aljharem(m): 3:02pm On Jan 13, 2012
The most rural area in anambra, the pump price had NEVER passed 80 Niara, they come here on NL blowing lies

"[size=14pt]A survey between bus drivers from Onitsha, Nnewi, Ekwulobia and Awka to Enugu revealed that the pump price that had ranged from N65-N80 per litre during the yuletide had gone up sharply to between N150- N180 per litre.[/size]

Many travellers were forced to return back home as short distance that hitherto cost N30 was now N50, and locations that were before now N100 is now N300, while Awka to Enugu which used to be N250 is now N1000 "

http://247ureports.com/2012/01/bedlam-in-anambra-as-subsidy-removal-bites-hard-on-citizens/
Re: Why Is Eastern Nigeria Silent On Fuel Subsidy Removal? by PointB: 3:05pm On Jan 13, 2012
Over-flogged issue! Next --->

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Olisa Metuh Docked As Trial Continues / Buhari Sends Letter Of Condolence To Sule Lamido Over His Daughter' Death (READ) / Governors Who Stayed More Than 8 Years In Office: The Story Behind Their Feat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.