Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,810 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. (8091 Views)

Obasanjo: Biafra Protests A 'cry For Attention' / Proof For Nigerians That General Buhari Truly Means To End Corruption In Nigeria / How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by iukpe: 6:38pm On Jan 14, 2012
Please, can we re phase the protest coming week?

It must be stream lined to correct our path as a nation.

What we need I think are as follows,

Cut salaries of Political office holders by scale.

Starting from the President N120m/ year

down to

Councilors = N2.5m/ yr

Investigate any oil subsidy scam and bring offenders to book. From the oil/ construction companies involved to the NNPC or PPPRA or govt officers involved.

Set out development policies and projects, not political projects that will impact on peoples lives and ways of monitoring execution. this including the reconstruction or rebuilding of our refineries.
Non of these major contracts should be given to Nigerian firms as they are usually collaborators. this is national interest we are talking here.
If we dont have the commitment, technology or manpower to build our refineries then we shouldn't try to pretend and allow people enrich themselves.

Provide electricity all through the country within the next 2years.
rebuild our universities so we can start to grow and develop our own technologies as a people.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by hercules07: 6:45pm On Jan 14, 2012
Corruption can not be fought under Jonathan, we are wasting our time if we expect Jonathan to close the loophole that was used fund his elections, he is not that honorable, the only thing that will stop corruption is to vote in people with anti-corruption credentials, we know who they are, we should get ready for 2015.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by awizzy1(m): 7:10pm On Jan 14, 2012
Arithmetic Analysis Of The Fuel Subsidy Issues, believe me you will be Stunned.

Open and Read:

http://theoccupynigeria.com/articles/65-arithmetic-of-fuel-subsidy
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by momdawest: 7:29pm On Jan 14, 2012
This protest if limited to subsidy alone is shot on the foot. The protest must aim at eliminating coruption,nepotism,misplacement of disciplinary priority ineffective bureau system, cuts on politicians pay+emoluments by 75 percent etc, It must be geared towards true federalism system, creation of state autonomy,re= organization of security network, creation of viable efficient bureaucratic institutions, industralisation, energy, massive employment etc, If these demands are not met it wil pave the way for Bulkanisation latest 2015. The govt weakness via apparent nonchallancy is our strenght, MASSOND.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Parnassuss(m): 7:50pm On Jan 14, 2012
obasy09:

in as much as I salute the courage of contributors here for hammering on our real problems: CORRUPTION & WASTEFUL SPENDING OF OUR LEADERS AT ALL LEVELS, i believe nairalanders  can do more by forming an organisation which could be named ''Nairaland Activists Against Corruption'' or any other suitable name. I believe nairalanders are everywhere in Nigeria and we can push aside our religious and tribal/ethnic differences to fight against corruption. Here on nairaland, we have journalists, political scientist, experts from various fields, employed & unemployed etc. We need not only cyber activism but also physical one. This is just a suggestion, constructive criticisms and way foreward are welcome.   I BELIEVE THAT WE NEED TO TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORN AND RESCUE OUR DEAR COUNTRY.

I for one totally agree with this suggestion. Let an NL contributor (I recommend Oxy, Gbawe or any other more recognized contributor) be chosen and given the mandate to set up a bank account where we can all pay in an initial fee of, lets say, N1000 as a start up fund solely for the purpose. Those who pay will become recognized as ambassadors and from them a board will be chosen that can carry out these desires we keep expressing but do nothing about. We do not need to be the richest or most influential group there is, lets just try the much we can do and see if it works. This is only if we truly are patriots we all love to profess we are.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by DanKan0: 10:43pm On Jan 14, 2012
Parnassuss:

I for one totally agree with this suggestion. Let an NL contributor (I recommend Oxy, Gbawe or any other more recognized contributor) be chosen and given the mandate to set up a bank account where we can all pay in an initial fee of, lets say, N1000 as a start up fund solely for the purpose. Those who pay will become recognized as ambassadors and from them a board will be chosen that can carry out these desires we keep expressing but do nothing about. We do not need to be the richest or most influential group there is, lets just try the much we can do and see if it works. This is only if we truly are patriots we all love to profess we are.

This is a very good idea. Mods what do you think?
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by ezeagu(m): 11:29pm On Jan 14, 2012
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Gbawe: 11:45pm On Jan 14, 2012
Parnassuss:

This is a good Idea. There is too much disorder to Nairaland. Nigeriavillagesquare.com , for example, were hosting Presidential candidates before the elections while we were here shouting and bickering in a disorganised manner. I support anything to enhance our ability to act as an effective pressure group to force our leaders to do what is right.

Perhaps someone can start a thread towards this suggestion and we can discuss issues robustly? Nairaland has numbers (registered members) more than many other Nigerian forums and it is currently under-utilised as an outlet for a cross-section of Nigerians to register their opinion with our leaders. Let us also remember that we are limited as per what the owners of the site, ultimately, wants nairaland to represent. A thread discussing this exhaustively is in order.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by member479760: 12:06am On Jan 15, 2012
Obama yearly salary is $400,000.00, Ngozi yearly salary is $600,000.00 and the world bank never advise her on this issue.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by clip: 1:40am On Jan 15, 2012
[b][b]Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption[/b][/b]

I pray we act on it. He said it all
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by londoner: 4:23am On Jan 15, 2012
I totally agree with Ribadu.

This is a protest which will galvanise the whole country and will bear lasting fruit beyond this generation.

My fear is that NLC are only willing to demand the petrol price issue and not much else.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by OmoOlorun: 9:15am On Jan 15, 2012
Tunde Bakare's Lagos group is pushing for social justice and end to corruption in addition to the fuel subsidy protest. He said the Lagos protests will continue and move to Abuja until these issues are addressed. I do hope NLC will not lay down its 'arms' too quickly. I hope Nigerian's will not give up the fight too quickly. Even if the government reverts to the N65/ litre price of petrol, we are not done yet. We want corruption stamped out of Nigeria, we want Nepotism and tribalism out of Nigeria, we want the thieves in NNPC and the fraudulent oil marketers brought to trial. We want a thorough investigation carried out by EFCC, assisted by external bodies like the Israeli Mossad or United Nations to ensure nothing is covered up. We want to get to the bottom of this. Failure to do this now is postponing the evil day and we may one day go the way of Libya. I do hope this will not happen. Let us get to the root of our problems now and prosecute those who should be, name them, shame them, retrieve or money from them and their household. All those who have been given oil blocks by past regimes should be brought to book and our money taken back. It is only in Nigeria that Presidents, Senators, House of Reps executives, retired generals and civilian friends of the our politicians are awarded oil blocks. Can we investigate how Anyim Pius Anyim build the mansion in his home state? Can we investigate how an ex Inspector General of Police built his Palace in Akure Ondo State? What was his total earnings as a civil servant and what is his pension? Can we investigate those responsible for the collapse of the stock market and causing Nigerian middle class so much harm? Can we investigate how United Bank for Africa was taken over by Hakeem Belo Osagie under IBB and later by Tony Elumelu under Obasanjo? Can we start asking questions and getting answers? Can we start prosecuting and shaming people found culpable? Only then can we be sure we will not have Rawlings style of cleansing or the Libyan style of revolution someday.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Rhino5dm: 9:48am On Jan 15, 2012
Am personally announcing 50K for a start, to support any cause that will see us achieving anything good.

Parnassuss:

Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by moshoodn(m): 1:48pm On Jan 15, 2012
What if Labour fails us, is there any other radical coalition! I don't mind it degenerating into a war o. . . .
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by osaman2011: 5:17pm On Jan 15, 2012
FELLOW NIGERIAN STUDENTS:-
Its obvious dere is no headway on D subsidy issue. NLC/TUC prefers 2remain on strike, after all as govt workers, Dey will still be paid their salaries even if dey Don't work.

But must we students wait 4 d subsidy issue 2be resolved before we resume?. If ASUU is threatenin 6months strike. Can't we do sumtin? Can't we network wit other universities, mobilise our SUGs 2meet wit our Govt & resolve it?

U dat is supposed 2 be on IT now, U dat is supposed 2graduate dis year, dose in other levels hopin 2leave school in due course, must dey add another year 2our graduation date?

Na our future be Dis o!!!

Pls broadcast Dis msg 2yur friends &dose in other schools if U are tired of stayin at home
-from osaman
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by moshoodn(m): 5:55pm On Jan 15, 2012
osaman2011:

FELLOW NIGERIAN STUDENTS:-
Its obvious dere is no headway on D subsidy issue. NLC/TUC prefers 2remain on strike, after all as govt workers, Dey will still be paid their salaries even if dey Don't work.

But must we students wait 4 d subsidy issue 2be resolved before we resume?. If ASUU is threatenin 6months strike. Can't we do sumtin? Can't we network wit other universities, mobilise our SUGs 2meet wit our Govt & resolve it?

U dat is supposed 2 be on IT now, U dat is supposed 2graduate dis year, dose in other levels hopin 2leave school in due course, must dey add another year 2our graduation date?

Na our future be Dis o!!!

Pls broadcast Dis msg 2yur friends &dose in other schools if U are tired of stayin at home
-from osaman
In as much as i understand your plight but the reality is that with subsidy removal and boko haram, life will be hard for students especially those who can't afford privates. . . But don't worry, it will be sorted out
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by clip: 2:17am On Jan 17, 2012
We just lost the divine Opportunity to wipe out corruption.I pray that God will give us another better opportunity. Then we shall seize it.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by moshoodn(m): 4:33am On Jan 17, 2012
Well, the opportunity just came and went!
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by iukpe: 8:57am On Jan 17, 2012
The truth!

If NLC, TUC etc Occupy XYZ, did not organize a protest, No ordinary Nigerian would have come out to the street. We would only grumble at home or our offices, grumble while paying exorbitant fares and facing rising prices. Line up at filling stations, humbly buying petrol for N141 or perhaps more in some areas. Abuse and curse Mr president and his team and that will be the most of it.

Thanks to labor, many found a forum to perhaps say, "we are not happy with this". Many many Nigerians had never heard the word subsidy in their lives, talk less understanding its meaning.

However we are all lucky the price of petrol was only increased reduced to N97 at the end of the day. Thanks to Mr President, NLC, TUC and the Occupy group.

To stop corruption is a necessary course, but how many Nigerians truly believe they have a say or can do anything about this when they have heard and seen from the 90s, several politicians and public officers being fingered or held for corrupt practices only to show up in other political or government positions later. This has a psychological effect on Nigerians.

Assume like you witness a bank robbery, you see the head robber as he flees the scene. You scream come out in the open to say you can identify him and as you visit the police station to document your statement, , that head rubber is seated as the station DPO.

So,  the ordinary Nigerian would prefer to go about his business hoping that someday a miracle will emerge and the rich and corrupt begin to eat each other "an act of God".

Maybe the Occupy forum should start a series of enlightenment programs to enlighten the common man on the implications of some government policies, like the Budget.

As you would agree with me, much more than "subsidy", how many Nigerians really care about what the budget holds for them or how many care to review its programs through the year. Who will be watching the government as the months go by to actually access progress on the refinery, railway, agriculture, education, health-care, electricity etc [s]the reason why we have to pay N97 per liter of petrol.[/s]

Perhaps it will become business as usual after a few weeks until we are asked to pay N120 same time next year. Then another strike.

TV stations and the press should begin to take us through some of these potential projects, visit the conditions in our government hospitals, universities and other institutions, existing agricultural projects, cities and roads refineries. The press should leave the corridors of Aso Rock and Abuja for a while. hoping that the same level of publicity, the same enlightenment that promoted the protests can go a long way to help Nigerians assess the state of infrastructure around the country today and observe what progress would be made about our lives, say, 10 months from now. To justify the N120 per liter or N150 we would most likely be called to face another 12 months from today.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by clip: 9:38am On Jan 17, 2012
you have said it all. Enlightenment on budget and project execution should always be on the front page of all newspapers in the country. God bless Nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atiku Donates N1.5M To Journalist With Kidney Problem / UNGA: Buhari's Speech Lacked Personal Commitments, Contained Lies — PDP Reps / Convention: APC Stakeholders Move Against Buni Committee, Plan January 11 Summit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.