Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,923 members, 7,835,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? (1045 Views)

Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years / To Marry A Man 10years Older / Girl Of 10years Of Age Gives Birth To A Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Parisgoodman(m): 8:01pm On Jan 13, 2012
hmmm, my niece now sees me as some kinda weirdo, she thinks i'm too strict and in a baby language, its ''wicked'' not strict. The fact is i don't know where her mom(my bros wife) get those cloths from and she specializes on the type my mom called ''accident cloths'' cause you either see one hand and the other is handless or ''bomb shot'' as popularly known. The kid no longer put trouser let alone gown and its really getting me to think she won't last her teenagehood without giving in to immorality. My point is, she pick these cloths to put on herself and her mom is so easy going, i don't blame the father cause u can't compare the bee to him when it comes to busy-ness. Should i tell the mom to stop it? Or am i wrong with my feeling of about the child?
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by MrsChima1(f): 8:06pm On Jan 13, 2012
You can guide her in the type of clothing you think she should wear but allow her to express her individuality by choosing her own fashion, trend, and style. 

Just tell her that a young lady should be appropriately modest, while still allowing her sense of style to impress or disgust others.  Tell her she doesn't have to show much skin to get attention and that you love her very much. Kids like to be told they are important, special, and loved constantly.

She is 10 years old for FFS!
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Advocator: 8:10pm On Jan 13, 2012
If she's dressing inappropriately then yes, if she's dressing the way she is needed to, then depriving her freedom to dress is colonizing her.
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Parisgoodman(m): 8:22pm On Jan 13, 2012
Advocator:

If she's dressing inappropriately then yes, if she's dressing the way she is needed to, then depriving her freedom to dress is colonizing her.
The way she thinks she need to be dresses is so inappropriate, its better to colonize somewhat than the childish freedom she thinks.
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Amya(f): 8:25pm On Jan 13, 2012
This thread is not meant to be here. So please moderator, move to where suited.
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Advocator: 8:26pm On Jan 13, 2012
Parisgoodman:

The way she thinks she need to be dresses is so inappropriate, its better to colonize somewhat than the childish freedom she thinks.

If you think colonizing the mind of a 10 yrs old girl and grounding her from doing something w/o giving her that lovely reasoning behind the reason you don't want her to dress the way she wants to; then you def gonna lose. you can't stop sum1 from doing sumthing in an agressive manner. Gotta act diplomatic na-saying?
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Parisgoodman(m): 8:37pm On Jan 13, 2012
Advocator:

If you think colonizing the mind of a 10 yrs old girl and grounding her from doing something w/o giving her that lovely reasoning behind the reason you don't want her to dress the way she wants to; then you def gonna lose. you can't stop sum1 from doing sumthing in an agressive manner. Gotta act diplomatic na-saying?
Hmmm, ''diplomatic'' that's one point! Anyway, i'll consider it with the suggestion of miss_chima, oh! Sorry Mrs.
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Parisgoodman(m): 8:40pm On Jan 13, 2012
Amya:

This thread is not meant to be here. So please moderator, move to where suited.
And where do u think suits it? Fashion? Read through it!
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Mynd44: 9:11pm On Jan 13, 2012
^^
It belongs in the family section
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by ifyalways(f): 10:30am On Jan 14, 2012
Our society and especially mothers have lost it.The other day I went to some school end of year get together and what the kids were wearing were . . .

How can we explain 7 year old girls fixing weave ons,wearing lipstick eyeliner marykay etal?Reason is Not far fetched though:a reflection of the mother's dress/fashion sense.Check out the so-called married women's dressing,You'd think they are showing all that flesh in a last desperate attempt to hook a man.

@OP,you've got to be cruel to be kind.Let the child pick clothes during shopping,go through her choice,pick out every item and explain to her why its appropriate or not for her.Your explanations should include our weather,the disadvantages of showing too much flesh,comfort and fitting etc.

Dependsing on your relationship with the mom,you can also discuss this with her laterz.
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Parisgoodman(m): 10:37am On Jan 14, 2012
ifyalways:

Our society and especially mothers have lost it.The other day I went to some school end of year get together and what the kids were wearing were . . .

How can we explain 7 year old girls fixing weave ons,wearing lipstick eyeliner marykay etal?Reason is Not far fetched though:a reflection of the mother's dress/fashion sense.Check out the so-called married women's dressing,You'd think they are showing all that flesh in a last desperate attempt to hook a man.

@OP,you've got to be cruel to be kind.Let the child pick clothes during shopping,go through her choice,pick out every item and explain to her why its appropriate or not for her.Your explanations should include our weather,the disadvantages of showing too much flesh,comfort and fitting etc.

Dependsing on your relationship with the mom,you can also discuss this with her laterz.
Noted!
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Natasha2(f): 1:42pm On Jan 14, 2012
ifyalways:

lol no be small, some mothers are mad same thing I saw when I took my lil sis to her school party I was shocked at what little kids were putting on. You have to talk to the mother since she's the one who gets the clothes for her, the child has nothing to do with it, she doesn't have money to buy things for herself does she? no be wetin momsi buy naih she go wear? all you have to do is talk to her mum. When i look back at some clothes my mum bought for me when i was that age I'm like gosh I can't believe I wore this. She's 10 she really doesn't have any say in this. you don't even need to talk to her, penetrate the mothers heart and every other thing will fall into place. grin grin
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Outstrip(f): 4:23am On Jan 15, 2012
I agree with kids not being giving total control of the clothes that are bought for them but it is not your place to dress her appropriately. You will be out of line. If you are cool with your sister in law then talk to her about how you feel. You are a man so you are coming from a place that your sister in law does not understand. People think it is harmeless to dress kids anyway. When you have little girls having c cup boobs at 10 years of age then you know it is very sensible to teach her eaarly what is appropriate. At the end of the day tread carefully before it blows up in your face
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jan 30, 2012
talk about overparenting. , A 10 year old should be dressing herself, no allow, the parents buy/supervise buying, so if she has anything inappropriate, it's because the parent bought it. other than that, chei, please free the girl.
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by dayokanu(m): 8:19pm On Jan 30, 2012
Why is your profile pic dark?
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 30, 2012
undecided
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by mutter(f): 9:36pm On Jan 30, 2012
The age of the child is irrelevant. my kids can pick their cloths but the know what to buy and what to wear when. I simply do not tolerate girls dressing "cheap". Cloths also have to be practical. Certainly they can dress trendy and modern but decent. I find it so ridiculous when kids have make-up, high heel etc on. î can´t stand my kids wearing just what everyone is wearing . One has to have the confidence to express his/her personality in the cloths they wear.
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 31, 2012
they can hint on what they want you to buy for them, BUT as parents, you have the ultimate say to decide if it is appropriate (or not) for that child. . . . . . . same goes for anything else they want you to buy.

btw even if that child has money to buy it for themselves, you are STILL the authority on deciding what is RIGHT or not to wear. when they turn 18 (and get their own place) they can decide what they want to wear. . . . . . until then, it is PARENT'S RULES!!
Re: Should A Child Of 10years Be Allowed To Choose Cloths Herself? by Fhemmmy: 8:24pm On Feb 01, 2012
Yes, with guidance and i am sure kids looks at how Mama and Papa dresses too

(1) (Reply)

You Discover That Your Partner Snores Loudly On Your Wedding Night / Savings Account For Your Child - Who Should Be In Charge? / Facts About Some Selected Names Of Igbo Girls...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.