Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society (1546 Views)

List Of Roads Lagos State Govt. Has Scheduled For Repairs / Subsidy Removal; The way out / Jonathan Is A Superior Presidential Material To Buhari - By Femi Aribisala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Nchara: 6:24am On Jan 15, 2012
I have always thought that the govt side of the argument is stronger. Watch this video and judge for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RLd8o8z-2CU

Some work on facts, others on sentiments.

As for me, the only valid argument against subsidy is timing. But then, what's the point delaying the doomsday?
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Nchara: 6:25am On Jan 15, 2012
You can’t sack Sanusi, Okonjo-Iweala –Yakasai
From Desmond Mgboh, Kano
Sunday, January 15, 2012
• Sanusi
Photo: Sun News Publishing

More Stories on This Section

Elder Statesman, Alhaji Tanko Yakasai, has faulted calls on the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, (CBN), Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, and the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, to resign.

In a statement on Saturday, the Second Republic Political Adviser faulted those “pushing them to resign their positions on account of the principled and patriotic stand they have taken on the issue of deregulation on Premium Motor Spirit otherwise known as petrol.

Alhaji Yakasai recalled that he had to speak against the background of his position as “a patriotic citizen and elderly person who was actively involved in the struggle for freedom and independence on the side of the Nigerian people; and who was consciously guided and had participated in the struggle for the enthronement of democracy and human rights in this country for many decades.”

Yakasai, who commiserated with the families of those who lost their loved ones in the fuel hike protests, s[b]aid that these two patriots have offered unassailable arguments in support of the stand of the government on the issue.[/b]
“Undoubtedly, there are many other Nigerians who are similarly impressed. It, therefore, behoves those who disagreed with them to offer a superior argument to dislodge the one advanced by the two individuals,” he added.
He also expressed satisfaction with the quality of the arguments in the ongoing debate relating to the deregulation as advanced by Sanusi, Okonjo-Iweala and others who share their views.

“It is for this reason that I have repeatedly been appealing to Nigerians to bring the vortex of violence to closure and return to the path of reasoning, dialogue and dialectics to arrive at appropriate modalities, processes and procedural strategies to engage the current challenges, deepen our democracy and thrust our country on the path of growth and economic progress”
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Nchara: 6:25am On Jan 15, 2012
BTW, Yakassai is a hardcore northerner.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Nchara: 6:27am On Jan 15, 2012
Does Ben Bruce live in utopia (from video)?
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by efisher(m): 6:33am On Jan 15, 2012
Love 'em or hate 'em, Sanusi & Iweala have put the facts on the table and taken the right economic decision as any reputable professional would do. The only challenge is the timing which I hope the negotiations will help put right.
If this pulls through, we should be ready to write their names in gold in our history books as the heroes of our economy who helped us put an end to monumental waste.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Nchara: 6:37am On Jan 15, 2012
^^^^^
Based on what I see on that video, Diezani Madueke also advanced solid points
Femi Falana was all noise and sentiments, no substance
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by muami(m): 6:43am On Jan 15, 2012
Nchara:

the Second Republic Political Adviser faulted those “pushing them to resign their positions on account of the principled and patriotic stand they have taken on the issue of deregulation on Premium Motor Spirit otherwise known as petrol.

, .these two patriots have offered unassailable arguments in support of the stand of the government on the issue.
“Undoubtedly, there are many other Nigerians who are similarly impressed. It, therefore, behoves those who disagreed with them [b]to offer a superior argument to dislodge the one advanced by the two individuals,”

Well said!
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by baslone: 6:54am On Jan 15, 2012
Our eyes don open, all these big grammer by co-thieves aint cutting Ȋ̝̊̅† anymore!
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by gists: 7:00am On Jan 15, 2012
The point is not the fact but the intent - technocrats like SLS and NOI focus on facts and neglect political implications of their policies. Besides, this administration is less than a year, that means it has over three yrs more to gain peoples' trust. Why is it difficult to implement some of the so called programme now, like making the refineries work, provide reliable electricity, tighten the executive and legistlatures' belts, then come and ask us to pay more for fuel so that the gov can provide road, gud health care etc. People will be willing to pay even more than 141 if this is done. Why do we have to pay more now in anticipation of ALL these promises? Afterall, the same SLS (who is one of the few gov officials I respect) have said the gov can continue to pay the subsidy for a few more yrs.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by BlackPikiN(m): 7:07am On Jan 15, 2012
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Nchara: 7:07am On Jan 15, 2012
gists:

The point is not the fact but the intent - technocrats like SLS and NOI focus on facts and neglect political implications of their policies. Besides, this administration is less than a year, that means it has over three yrs more to gain peoples' trust. Why is it difficult to implement some of the so called programme now, like making the refineries work, provide reliable electricity, tighten the executive and legistlatures' belts, then come and ask us to pay more for fuel so that the gov can provide road, gud health care etc. People will be willing to pay even more than 141 if this is done. Why do we have to pay more now in anticipation of ALL these promises? Afterall, the same SLS (who is one of the few gov officials I respect) have said the gov can continue to pay the subsidy for a few more yrs.

As with Science, sentiments have no place in Economics (except where subsidy is involved grin grin)

You can apply sentiments in Law, Literature and History grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

''Who will pay for the subsidy? Your children'' ------------Sanusi
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by gists: 7:23am On Jan 15, 2012
Nchara:

As with Science, sentiments have no place in Economics (except where subsidy is involved grin grin)

You can apply sentiments in Law, Literature and History grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

''Who will pay for the subsidy? Your children'' ------------Sanusi

Is this what you call sentiment?
gists:

Besides, this administration is less than a year, that means it has over three yrs more to gain peoples' trust.

This is not sentiment but fact. I asked a question which you want to stylishly avoid. Read again the bolded.

gists:

Why is it difficult to implement some of the so called programme now, like making the refineries work, provide reliable electricity, tighten the executive and legistlatures' belts, then come and ask us to pay more for fuel so that the gov can provide road, gud health care etc. People will be willing to pay even more than 141 if this is done. Why do we have to pay more now in anticipation of ALL these promises? Afterall, the same SLS (who is one of the few gov officials I respect) have said the gov can continue to pay the subsidy for a few more yrs.

Except of course the intent is to embezzle the proceeds  grin grin grin
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Nchara: 7:28am On Jan 15, 2012
gists:

This is not sentiment but fact. I asked a question which you want to stylishly avoid. Read again the bolded.

Except of course the intent is to embezzle the proceeds  grin grin grin

As to your question, there are 101 things to do (electricity, education, security, health, etc). I believe refineries should be fixed and new ones built. That takes time and besides, oil money including subsidy money, should be used to fix oil-related problems without disrupting other aspects of societal needs (as listed). I agree that January 1 was a bit untidy. Anywhere between April and June is fine with me.

The subsidy itself has been turned into fraud by Otedola, Tinubu and the rest of the oil cabals. It should go.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by gists: 7:40am On Jan 15, 2012
Nchara:

As to your question, there are 101 things to do (electricity, education, security, health, etc). I believe refineries should be fixed and new ones built. That takes time and besides, oil money including subsidy money, should be used to fix oil-related problems without disrupting other aspects of societal needs (as listed). I agree that January 1 was a bit untidy. Anywhere between April and June is fine with me.

The subsidy itself has been turned into fraud by Otedola, Tinubu and the rest of the oil cabals. It should go.

The fact is gej has not done anything differently for obj and other administration. It doesn't have to be refinery that should come first. You admit that there are 101 things to be done. What I'm saying is let them put some of these things on the ground (I'm not talking about 1600 buses). Then people will see the genuineness of gej - TIME CAN'T BE A PROBLEM FOR GOD'S SAKE HE HAS OVER THREE YRS. Anything other than is a scam. Nuf said
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by jamace(m): 7:44am On Jan 15, 2012
^^^^^
Based on what I see on that video, Diezani Madueke also advanced solid points
Femi Falana was all noise and sentiments, no substance

It is imperative that govt  eliminate the "noise" first before executing the "advanced solid points".

The crux of the matter is that the quality of life and wellfare of the Nigerian masses/workers should be paramount when executing any govt plan/decision. You should not put additional burden on the already impoverished masses because you have a beautiful plan on PAPER. I said on paper because Nigerian budgets never have/show comensurate effect on the ground, corruption of the leaders always swallow the beautiful plan.

By the way, how can we accept "advanced solid points" from a person who is in charge of an organisation that she can not effectively manage?

The masses are tired of paper leadership that adds to their already battered well-being.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by hercules07: 7:44am On Jan 15, 2012
Why should Nigerians pay more for fuel than Americans with far less in earned income?
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Nchara: 7:50am On Jan 15, 2012
hercules07:

Why should Nigerians pay more for fuel than Americans with far less in earned income?

Lie!!!
Fuel here is 2.9 USD in the cheapest places and up to 4.0 USD in expensive places
141 Naira (cost of fuel after subsidy removal) is less than 1.0 USD.

The only correct argument you make is in terms of salaries and even that is a bad comparison to make (USA versus Nigeria).
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by FindOut(m): 8:05am On Jan 15, 2012
Nchara:

Lie!!!
Fuel here is 2.9 USD in the cheapest places and up to 4.0 USD in expensive places

The only correct argument you make is in terms of salaries and even that is a bad comparison to make (USA versus Nigeria).

Per litre or per gallon?

@Post: i'll post this line I got from twitter; '' The govt is asking us to put more water into a basket (the FG's purse) without plugging the holes first''. Looking for the ''holes''? check the budget figures.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by gists: 8:08am On Jan 15, 2012
Nchara:

Lie!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, you guys in the U.S measure in gallons while we measure in liters. There are about 3.5 liters in 1 gallon. Hence, equivalent gallon price will be 141x3.5 = N493.5 ($3.08 @ 160/$)
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by jamace(m): 8:20am On Jan 15, 2012
Lie!!!

You should stop comparing Nigeria with the US. Nigeria is Nigeria and US is US.
The masses are concerned with the effect of the subsidy removal on their purchasing  power and services.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by nuclearboy(m): 8:30am On Jan 15, 2012
@Nchara:

The PRIMARY responsibility of government is the welfare and security of citizens. Economics comes after welfare.

That is why government is not a profit seeking enterprise!

On that singular point, all theories fall short!
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Yeske2(m): 9:34am On Jan 15, 2012
1 US gallon = 3.785 litres
3.785 multiplied by 141naira gives us 533.68naira divided by 160(exchange rate to the dollar) gives us 3.335 dollars per gallon. This is for those comparing prices here to America's.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by hercules07: 10:04am On Jan 15, 2012
Nchara caught in a lie again, o ga o.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Abagworo(m): 10:05am On Jan 15, 2012
Many people are ignorant of the fact that since the history of Nigeria, subsidy removal has been a major issue between Nigerians and Government and has never ever worked. I therefore do not see this one working.

Government is trying to make it seem morally right that every product must be the same price in every country. Any country that sells below the price of another is subsidizing. That is ridiculous to common sense. Since clothes that we buy 2,000 Naira costs arounf 500 Naira in Togo, Togolese government should therefore raise their prices to be at per with Nigeria. That's ludicrous. Does it translate to a subsidy of 1,500 Naira per cloth?
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by tboy11(m): 10:22am On Jan 15, 2012
No one is against the subsidy removal bt the fear of nigerians is that they dnt want to suffer for noting. The govt has been giving us these same promises over the years they are giving us now and we got noting in return. The govt should earn people's trust first before anything
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by sheyguy: 11:01am On Jan 15, 2012
Nchara, stop this despiration of a thing. The thread itself right from the 1st post is wrong.
The govt lied about the palliative itself, There is no way we can be borrowing to pay subsidy for now and borrow to actualize the palliatives measures when subsidy is gone, if we pay the full price of N141 to the marketers ourselves and the govt was borrowing to pay before that, where do they get the money to actualise their 'palliatives' measure from?

Another mischevious govt logic or argument is the notion that we are subsidizing consumption instead of production. The truth is "we are subsidizing the consupmtion that keeps us productive".
How do u xplain the fact that the average family business is powered by genset and that the business is all about being productive. 
I will strongly advice u to desist from this SS/SE-owner-of-the-Oil mentality. ND oil belongs to all Nigerian because u guys asked for one-Nigeria in the 50s when the relationship favoured u guys in terms of resources.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by Beaf: 11:14am On Jan 15, 2012
Everybody knows that the govts arguments are superior, but we have a pack of people who couldn't care less about a better Nigeria out there in the streets carrying out a "revolution" for purely selfish reasons.
Aluta!
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by trw: 6:57am On Jan 16, 2012
u
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by efisher(m): 7:00am On Jan 16, 2012
Some protesters don't even know the meaning of subsidy. Some have said it is a "fundamental human right". I call it blind protest.
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by jamace(m): 7:20am On Jan 16, 2012
The opponent of the subsidy are only out to muddle up the water. The government have superior argument.

Govt should not turn governance into mere academic exercise. Govt should rather execute Superior welfare program instead of mere superior argument.

Some protesters don't even know the meaning of subsidy. Some have said it is a "fundamental human right". I call it blind protest.
BUT the masses know that their expenses have suddenly shoot up?
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by jmaine: 7:22am On Jan 16, 2012
efisher:

Tell me your joking shocked
Re: Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society by dustydee: 8:06am On Jan 16, 2012
Those in support of subsidy removal should insist on paying N141 so that the sure plan can be realized quickly.

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To Alhaji Aliko Dangote On Northern Nigeria And Boko Haram / Ijaw People ‘re Encroaching On My Land, Oba Of Benin Tells AIG / Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.