Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,693 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Yoruba People And Oily Food - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Yoruba People And Oily Food (8158 Views)

Oily Cakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba People And Oily Food by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 15, 2012
This is my first time of being in the west and am not from there am from the east, you Know how we do it there now grin . I came here and met W̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊t̶̲̥̅̊i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ pass mε̲̣̣̣̥ oo. Why do yoruba people like oil inside their food especially " eba and stew" angry ? I have never seen anything like that before. They just can't do without putting stew inside their food why? angry I can't continue angry
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by moremi2008(m): 2:54am On Jan 16, 2012
LOL! That's because the meat is usually cooked in the stew! That way, you can change up your vegetable soup (from okra to ewedu to gbegiri) without having to prepare new meat. As for the oil, dunno, I guess you've been eating at too many Mama Put places. You can reduce the oil when cooking at home.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by moshoodn(m): 5:37am On Jan 16, 2012
Eateries maybe. . . Personal preps, matter of choice.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Jenifa1: 5:39am On Jan 16, 2012
who is cooking for you? tell him/her to reduce the oil.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 16, 2012
AM staying with nobody so i dont have anyone to cook 4 me, d worst part i cant cook. Iv been looking 4 igbo kitchens around i hv not seen. Na wa oo angry , Hunger go kill me oo angry

@morèmi2008 so stew is a necessity alongside every meal. Na wa o. I just pray i can blend. Yoruba pipo na wa o. grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by GWslim(f): 2:21pm On Jan 16, 2012
Red oil is essential to your health. Yoruba people enjoys this so much.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 3:57pm On Jan 16, 2012
Poster

where in nigeria do people eat meals without stew?

Are you from somewhere else in africa?

You specifically mentioned eba with stew. Do you eat your own eba without stew?

If you need to network with your own people then ask around and see where you can find them.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 16, 2012
^^

at d poster above my head am from nigeria n i eat my eba with soup not stew, Okay. It was my first tym of seeing people eat eba n stew instead of soup abi is stew n soup d same to u?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Jenifa1: 7:09pm On Jan 16, 2012
DONkollione:

^^

at d poster above my head am from nigeria n i eat my eba with soup not stew,  Okay. It was my first tym of seeing people eat eba n stew instead of soup abi is stew n soup d same to u?

yoruba people eat eba with stew or soup. we do both.
I'm yoruba and my favorite is spinach and egusi soup or ewedu with stew.

you need to find proper yoruba food. not those street oily foods. I can guess you are buying your food from the streets. you shouldn't eat those everyday.
find a wife or learn to cook
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jan 16, 2012
^^

be my wife nw. grin . . So dat u will cook it d way i like plsssssssssssss. grin I cant continue eating on d "streets" angry
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 10:42pm On Jan 16, 2012
Can you explain the difference between soup and stew while you're at it?

In nigeria, the two terms are used interchangeably so you really have to be more explicit.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 16, 2012
^^

stew is red in color while soup has different colors eg green, yellow n so on. Stew is made of mostly tomatoes while soup has many ingredients. Wait r u yoruba?
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Jenifa1: 12:07am On Jan 17, 2012
tpia@:

Can you explain the difference between soup and stew while you're at it?

In nigeria, the two terms are used interchangeably so you really have to be more explicit.

the way I understand it,
stew is thicker. soup is more watery.

soup= obe (all kind)
stew= obe ata (only peppers)
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 12:21am On Jan 17, 2012
^^i think he means stew as in obe ata [tomato stew], and soup meaning stew with ingredients eg vegetable soup, ila asepo[ okro], etc.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Jenifa1: 12:28am On Jan 17, 2012
yea

I don't know too many people who refer to vegetable soup as stew.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 12:30am On Jan 17, 2012
DONkollione:

^^

stew is red in color while soup has different colors eg green, yellow n so on. Stew is made of mostly tomatoes while soup has many ingredients. Wait r u yoruba?

is this what you mean:

stew with okro:

okro soup:

is that correct?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Nobody: 12:42am On Jan 17, 2012
YES BRO, @TPIA, DATS D DIFFERENCE AM TRYNA POINT OUT, d picture is making it look delicious but i doubt, the first day i ordered for okro without d stew i nearly cried it was worthless, the okro soup was just made of water, salt and d okro itself, or is it d way d person cooked it?
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 12:45am On Jan 17, 2012
^^nobody eats okro without stew.

the first picture is the way its usually served, if its not a gumbo [what you're referring to as soup].

the second photo is ila alasepo [what you're calling soup].
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Jenifa1: 12:55am On Jan 17, 2012
DONkollione:

YES BRO, @TPIA, DATS D DIFFERENCE AM TRYNA POINT OUT, d picture is making it look delicious but i doubt, the first day i ordered for okro without d stew i nearly cried it was worthless, the okro soup was just made of water, salt and d okro itself, or is it d way d person cooked it?

hahah you have to order okro with the stew. you eat them together. lol tongue

there is also okro soup which is a mixture and what you might be more familiar with. some food sellers don't carry it though.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 1:29pm On Jan 17, 2012
^True.

Gumbo is actually considered sort of a "poor man's food" and while people do eat it occasionally or frequently depending on personal preference, its not really seen as fancy fare.

The sauce (what the op is calling stew or is it soup) is the standard fare.

People dont eat the other ones day in and day out unless there's a problem such as lack of money.

Doesnt mean i'm knocking ila alasepo though- i love the dish.

An exception here might be egusi stew, but even then people can still add sauce to it.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Bawss1(m): 5:20pm On Jan 19, 2012
Hahaha. I can easily relate to the plight of the OP. This was one of the first culture shocks that I experienced when I first moved to Lagos - oily meals! How people enjoy such meals remains a mystery to me till this day. Thankfully I found restaurants that prepared meals the way I like around my 'hood.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 5:36pm On Jan 19, 2012
^but you would not complain if you saw italian or meditteranean food with olive oil everywhere, right?

abeg make person hear word.

and do we see any complaints about americans/europeans and cheese?

colonial mentality at its best.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Ogaga4Luv(m): 8:22pm On Jan 19, 2012
[size=13pt]ha ha i can feel the poster pains honestly i experience the same thing years back when i still dey country -- I travel to lagos for some project , that was my first time i have no family in lagos i have to rest in HOTEL , The 2 week and dys i spent in LAGOS i hear am! grin grin

there was a day i went to buy swallow and soup oh my goodness --- the soup na water water , the eba soft and no oil like the delta garri -- and na so people their rush dey buy the food like say e sweet ! cheesy cheesy

one morning again i went to buy some meal in another restaurant the woman selling the food saw with my 2 clear eyes with 50 litre of galloon of red palm oil dey trowey indide the stew , cheii. . .i tire and was like oh how are this people managing to eat such meals even? cheesy cheesy wink
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 19, 2012
^^
lol!
my broda no b small matter o. I taya grin . I just dey thank Oluwa 4 showing me road 2 mama chibuzor resturant. I wonda wat would hv happen to me, grin

@TPIA, U r used to d oil na, #no wonder yoruba women r always fat grin
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Jenifa1: 12:15am On Jan 20, 2012
see all these igbo ppl sef. blame yourself for patronizing cheap street food sellers.

DONkollione:

@TPIA, U r used to d oil na, #no wonder yoruba women r always fat grin

is mama ngozi skinny?
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 3:06am On Jan 20, 2012
mama chibuzor and yes, good question.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Ogaga4Luv(m): 9:41am On Jan 20, 2012
[size=13pt]And when they're saving u if u dare complain errh? grin any Yoruba woman selling food don't love seeing customers complaining or correcting em for the errors noticed in their way of service ---- cheesy cheesy

They're always ready to say insult u ^^ wink
[/size]
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 11:04am On Jan 20, 2012
The whining is getting too much plz.

If you cant cope outside your village, then do us all a favour and stay put there.

I guess oyibo spitting in your food is preferable.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:58am On Jan 20, 2012
[size=13pt]No! Tpia u know nobody can just spit on food for any human being to eat. . . ( cheesy cheesy ) I've never seen such a thing in my entire life but what we're talking about here is the way Yoruba people love plenty of palm oil inside their soup ^^ grin -- I would have enjoyed that period i went to lagos i did enjoyed other aspect but Food? I tire small. . . until i find good restaurant wink wink[/size]
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Bawss1(m): 5:44pm On Jan 20, 2012
tpia@:

The whining is getting too much plz.

If you cant cope outside your village, then do us all a favour and stay put there.

I guess oyibo spitting in your food is preferable.

tpia@:

^but you would not complain if you saw italian or meditteranean food with olive oil everywhere, right?

abeg make person hear word.

and do we see any complaints about americans/europeans and cheese?

colonial mentality at its best.

You apparently see this difference in food preparation as some kind of attack on your person or people. Such an outlook is not the best for your nerves or your stomach for that matter. A little relaxation will do you a world of good.

A little tip: this thread and indeed this section is a feel good section not one where tribal hatred holds sway so don't take things here too seriously.
Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by tpia5: 10:00pm On Jan 20, 2012
^^i believe you meant to address the op and your fellow whiner.

did i go to igboland and start complaining about the food there?

some of us even tried to help the poster and show him what he did wrong [didnt i post photos], only for some losers to jump in and try to act ignorant.

if you cant eat food you're not used to, then stay home or go and marry somebody who will cook the food you want.

dont start whining everywhere when nobody dragged your leg to where you are.

not to mention you're too lazy to cook yet are still abusing others who do.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People And Oily Food by Nobody: 12:27am On Jan 21, 2012
Pls i didnt intend any tribalist response.

@tpia calm down! We re just expressing our experiences no harm @ll.

@jenifa yes o shes skinny n a virteous one 4 dat mata. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The Amount Of Sugar Contained In This Drinks Bullet,coca Cola And... / Healthy, Low-calorie Substitutes For Common Nigerian Meals / How To Prepare Afang Soup!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.