Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,170 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:53 AM

Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! (5460 Views)

Buhari Shocked By States' Inability To Pay Salaries / Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers / Ministerial List: What Buhari Did That Shocked Tinubu, Osinbajo – New Telegraph (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by canuck(m): 6:16pm On Jan 16, 2012
In response to the unilateral and barbaric astronomical increase in pump price of fuel, President GEJ, Ministers, PDP chieftains and govt supporters have been repeating a word over and over again - The word is Palliative.

E.g. "The government of Goodluck Jonathan has lined-up several palliatives for the Nigerian people due to the hardship that is faced by Nigerians by the new pump price of PMS"

Here is the dictionary meaning of the word:

Palliative n. adj.
– Relieving or soothing the symptoms of a disease or disorder without effecting a cure (www.thefreedictionary.com)
– Serving to palliate; relieving without curing (www.dictionary.com)

Do these guys in government think at all?  angry
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by ACM10: 6:22pm On Jan 16, 2012
In medicine, palliation is the type of treatment given to a patient that has been [size=18pt]condemned to die[/size] from his/her ailment.

Hope you've not drifted into severe shock?
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by muami(m): 6:25pm On Jan 16, 2012
canuck:

In response to the unilateral and barbaric astronomical increase in pump price of fuel, President GEJ, Ministers, PDP chieftains and govt supporters have been repeating a word over and over again - The word is Palliative.

E.g. "The government of Goodluck Jonathan has lined-up several palliatives for the Nigerian people due to the hardship that is faced by Nigerians by the new pump price of PMS"

Palliative n. adj.
– Relieving or soothing the symptoms of a disease or disorder without effecting a cure (www.thefreedictionary.com)

Do these guys in government think at all?  angry

Why are you displaying your ignorance.?
Is it not obvious to you that the 'disease' is the increase in fuel price and since the 'disease' cannot be 'cured' i.e  govt cannot revert back to the original price, he only way is to sooth/relieve  the pain?. Mumu
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by canuck(m): 6:26pm On Jan 16, 2012
ACM10:

In medicine, palliation is the type of treatment given to a patient that has been [size=18pt]condemned to die[/size] from his/her ailment.

Ojigbijigbi! I go die o!!! Palliative o!
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by canuck(m): 6:27pm On Jan 16, 2012
muami:

Why are you displaying your ignorance.?
Is it not obvious to you that the 'disease' is the increase in fuel price and since the 'disease' cannot be 'cured' i.e  govt cannot revert back to the original price, he only way is to sooth/relieve  the pain?. Mumu

You are either not paying attention or just mischevious! FG and its mouth-pieces have been saying the subsidy removal will "cure" all the ills of our society by providing (quoting Diezani Allison-Madueke now) "worldclass healthcare, worldclass education, worldclass roads and other infrastructure".

"muami" = mumu

Enuf said!
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Kobojunkie: 6:28pm On Jan 16, 2012
ACM10:

That's what has got me confused about the use of the word over the past couple of weeks . . ,   i kept telling myself that it was probably an error of some sort . . on the side of our journalists probably . . . 

Palliative measures my arse!!!
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by largie(f): 7:12pm On Jan 16, 2012
Nigerian government with terms, na as oyibo woman from world bank tell them dem take tell us. Dem no get enough sense take check am up.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by canuck(m): 7:24pm On Jan 16, 2012
largie:

Nigerian government with terms, na as oyibo woman from world bank tell them dem take tell us. Dem no get enough sense take check am up.

Kai! Our own don nearly finish o - Dr. GEJ has become a hospice medical practitioner, applying palliation to a dying nation!

Against FG's estimation, Nigeria shall rise again!!!
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 16, 2012
It was correctly used in that context "Palliative means to reduce the effect of subsidy removal on suffering masses" why castigating the users.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by werepeLeri: 7:51pm On Jan 16, 2012
Poster - we need to occupy Nigeria for this mis use of English. Lets go!
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Kobojunkie: 8:50pm On Jan 16, 2012
Batam:

It was correctly used in that context "Palliative means to reduce the effect of subsidy removal on suffering masses" why castigating the users.

Let me put what you said another way. "The masses are having yet another limb cut off and instead of a cure , the Government offers them medicine to help the masses bear the amputation(you still get your limb cut off), rather than altogether avoid amputation. . .
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by freecocoa(f): 4:32pm On Jan 17, 2012
As I no understand the purpose of this thread,wetin I suppose do now? Na today dem don dey misuse words?
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Natasha2(f): 4:36pm On Jan 17, 2012
^lol grin grin
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Bawss1(m): 4:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
freecocoa:

As I no understand the purpose of this thread,wetin I suppose do now? Na today dem don dey misuse words?

Sometimes our unconscious use of language brings to focus certain underlying issues. This is deep.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 17, 2012
@canuck (m)

The context that it is being used it correct.
Can you read what you analysed again. "– [b]Relieving or soothing
"the symptoms of a disease or disorder without effecting a cure.[/b]
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by manny4life(m): 5:09pm On Jan 17, 2012
To be honest, I've not heard the word before until NL but I correctly assumed in the context they used it, I understood what they were trying to. Just like when Obama was voted in 08, Google reported that the most researched word in their engine was "partisan", that was because Obama continually used it.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by IbroSaunks(m): 5:32pm On Jan 17, 2012
canuck:

Palliative n. adj.

Do these guys in government think at all?  angry

Do you think there's really a "cure" to the hardships caused by the increase, and do you think they didn't know that They aren't fools, they know what they are doing. The only "cure" is if the price went straight down to 65 immediately. They were just trying to make the hardships less, in a very infinitesimal way.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 17, 2012
I am gone past anything to be bothered anymore - palliatives or not. we will still be none-the wiser 10 years from now simply because we have learned to work with promises rather than plans. so it is better-life for rural women, Mamser, SAP, Consolidation, De-regulation, Vision 1999, Vision 2000, Vision 2010, Vision 2020 etc all na the same. The masses love these words
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Meddler(f): 6:00pm On Jan 17, 2012
Don't even get me started on that Vision crap. Nigeria of the 90's is way better than this year. The only difference is internet and GSM.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by IOludayo(m): 6:08pm On Jan 17, 2012
We exclusively represent Aglomar SL, Monaco, Spain, makers of 2 in 1 dual purpose plaster paint and interior decoration products. Our products save you the costs of cement, paint and sand as well as painting and plastering wages. They have been successfully used in Lagos and Ogun States. It provides a unique, water proof finishing for interior and exterior use with the paint being durable for 12 years. It gives your building a unique, beautiful and classy look. It can be used for homes, factories, hotels etc

We wish to partner with individuals, architects engineers, estate developers and builders throughout the country. Contact Ugo-Rosis & Associates on 081 8836 0168, 081 3223 2989. Distributors and marketers wanted nationwide.

see us online at /ugo-rosis OR connect with the Biz Dev Manager on facebook.com/isaacbiz
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Eltonluigi(m): 6:18pm On Jan 17, 2012
Palliatives: Just like those retroviral drugs taken by people living with HIV/AIDS.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jan 17, 2012
nigeria is already dead so using palliative is correct.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 17, 2012
ALLEVIATE would have been more appropriate
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by nex(m): 6:31pm On Jan 17, 2012
I was very much alarmed by the way they were using that Palliative word.

I read a paper which my father-in-law wrote for a conference on Palliative Medicine, and all it was talking about was "how to lead the dying gently and kindly unto their death".

So I wonder for IMF, GEJ and his squad. Is our death soon?!
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by yeswecan(m): 6:38pm On Jan 17, 2012
canuck:

You are either not paying attention or just mischevious! FG and its mouth-pieces have been saying the subsidy removal will "cure" all the ills of our society by providing (quoting Diezani Allison-Madueke now) "worldclass healthcare, worldclass education, worldclass roads and other infrastructure".

"muami" = mumu

Enuf said!

I noticed the accented part of your comment as a thread that runs through the debate.  Our government officials seem to be wearing a thesis that the reason for bad healthcare, poor education and infrastructural problems come boils to fuel subsidy HENCE the removal of subsidy will provide allowance for development.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Kobojunkie: 6:46pm On Jan 17, 2012
gmyguy:

My thoughts exactly.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by sweet9ja: 6:58pm On Jan 17, 2012
anoda senceless and time wasting thread.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Jilo83(m): 7:21pm On Jan 17, 2012
GEJ is sick and nigeria need over 1billion naira as palliative in 2012 on food alone.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Ignatio(m): 7:58pm On Jan 17, 2012
gmyguy:

Alleviate and Palliative are still the same. The pain is only lessened.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by bonna4u(m): 8:27pm On Jan 17, 2012
The word palliative fuel subsidy would have been in place if the FG is trustworthy. Palliative in the sense that fuel subsidy has not cured our dying refineries but has only served to ease the pains importation of fuel into the country is causing. FG should do the right thing first before talking about fuel subsidy removal. Fixing the refineries is the cure imo.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 17, 2012
@OP
I quite agree with you on that one. It is not formally correct to use that term in the context it's been used. Formal language explains itself and means what it stands for in a general context(direct) or whatever it may connote.
Re: Dictionary Definition Of PALLIATIVE - You May Be Shocked! by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Jan 17, 2012
Ignatio:

Alleviate and Palliative are still the same. The pain is only lessened.

They may be synonyms but they are especially in this context. "Palliate" has a more "cover up" tone to it than "alleviate" would. "Alleviate" connotes lessening the burden in some way but "Palliate" does not necessarily do that but simply provides you a sort of hand to hold on to while you still need to deal with the burden and considering the role government ought to play in any society, that just smacks of wickedness in this case.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA / Nigerians Definition Of Free And Fair Election! / Jubilation As Buhari Ends Recession, Blows Hot, Releases 5 Points Agenda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.