Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged (10011 Views)

FG To Replace N5,000 Monthly Stipend For Unemployed Youths —ngige / Anti-social Media Bill: Social Media Space Needs Clean Up — APC / N5,000 For The Poor: Katsina Women Storm Bank To Demand For APC Social Security (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by otokx(m): 4:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
Do they have a record of Nigerians in this country?
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by samstels: 4:48pm On Jan 17, 2012
We are not yet matured for this kind of scheme .it will be grossly abused ,rather they should restructure the NYSC prog ,which a near perfect scheme that captures at least all the graduates in the country .For the social security scheme we need a working database for us to kickstart it and that we do not have .knowing nigerians they will abuse it and as well commit fraud with it .
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by kufreabasi(m): 4:49pm On Jan 17, 2012
Are boko haramist inclusive?
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by lakesider(m): 4:49pm On Jan 17, 2012
This is good,it will keep graduate off robbery,drug pushing ,prostitution and other social vices
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Ninapha(f): 4:52pm On Jan 17, 2012
Its a good idea as it is.  It would encourage our young one to go to school.

@ Seun,  I don't think any proven graduate would be satisfied collecting such amount without searching or agitating for a good job.

The govt should carry on with the idea but should also to build industries and open opportunities for employment and productivity.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by 1025: 4:58pm On Jan 17, 2012
can this maleria ridden dreamers be kind enough to fix our electricity problems?
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by aljharem(m): 4:59pm On Jan 17, 2012
manny4life:

Another avenue for FRAUD. angry angry angry angry

That money used to pay unemployed, if you had your macro and fiscal polices in order, there wouldn't be need to pay "graduates" who are unemployed. Certificate forgery is about to be at its peak, I pity my dear country. cry cry cry

Why are you pitying ?

GIVE THE GOVERNMENT A CHANCE, so they say

so give the government a chance, no be corruption people protest against and u people decided to give the government the chance so lets leave them to their judgement. cool
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by aljharem(m): 5:00pm On Jan 17, 2012
jmaine:

If this are to serve as mere hand outs . .how long do they hope to do this and how many Nigerians would benefit these hand outs . . we have millions out there, how do they hope to accommodate them all . . .cries of marginalization would still surface at the end of the day . . .

If the NASS are very serious about concerns of the masses . .then they should: -

1) Pass the PIB law . .

2) Remove that gaddem immunity clause

3) Slash their alarming allowances and legal largeses they current enjoy

4) Seek to tone down the federal character policy that has aided the legality of the waste in maintaining 42 ministers, people not qualified to handle certain employment picked because they must fulfill certain constitutional requirements

4) Create enabling laws that would favor business entrepreneurship

And not by recycling cheap shallow methods that do not solve the underlying challenges to economic growth . . .

haba jmaine, LETS GIVE THE GOVERNMENT A CHANCE cool
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 17, 2012
NASS finances has to stripped and the funds accrued should be used to pilot the Social Security Scheme
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 17, 2012
WE DON'T WANT,

Invest the to create jobs.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by TommyEnny(m): 5:28pm On Jan 17, 2012
As fantastic as this idea/proposal sounds and as much as I really want to give a toms up to this bill, at the same time I am very sad because to be sincere it will not work. I would like to compare it to the cashless or if you would cash-lite policy CBN is about introducing which will also NOT WORK. A country where you dont have accurate statistics, who is where at what time etc. and also a country that can not keep track of the firms bringing Petrolum Products in to its country at any time, a country that canot deal with the so called CABALS in the petroluem sector, Boko Haram etc because the people in govt. are also involved. I1 believe if we put the necessary structures in place every other thing will fall in place. For me Nigeria is not yet ready for Social Security and cashless policies because we dont have the structure on ground to support these policies we should just wait until these structure are in place or else it will only creat another avenue for a group of unscrupulous elements to hijack the process and take advantage of it for their selfish purpose. Please dont get me wrong Nigeria deserves this right now but its just that the much needed infrastructure is not available for the succesfull implementation of these policies. sad
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by IOludayo(m): 5:34pm On Jan 17, 2012
We exclusively represent Aglomar SL, Monaco, Spain, makers of 2 in 1 dual purpose plaster paint and interior decoration products. Our products save you the costs of cement, paint and sand as well as painting and plastering wages. They have been successfully used in Lagos and Ogun States. It provides a unique, water proof finishing for interior and exterior use with the paint being durable for 12 years. It gives your building a unique, beautiful and classy look. It can be used for homes, factories, hotels etc

We wish to partner with individuals, architects engineers, estate developers and builders throughout the country. Contact Ugo-Rosis & Associates on 081 8836 0168, 081 3223 2989. Distributors and marketers wanted nationwide.

see us online at /ugo-rosis OR connect with the Biz Dev Manager on facebook.com/isaacbiz
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 17, 2012
There is no biometric database to track which graduate is working and who is not working.  They will need to use the NYSC database to track a real graduate cos I know many of the drop outs will like to enlist, but will not be able to forge NYSC certificate because the certificate number is already on the NYSC database. The only set back, is that you cant track who is not working and who is working. Nice start anyway.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by ceejayluv(m): 5:34pm On Jan 17, 2012
Dem don pay pensioners finish? Wey dem wan pay ALL aged people, I want to avoid the embarrassment of seeing our graduates carryin placards and protesting over arrears, Good idea but we need a Comprehensive Database first.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by GeneralGEJ: 5:39pm On Jan 17, 2012
All Good and well

My Government has no money -  This is scam my government invented to keep you morons happy. foooolllss

The bill will never see daylight.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by kenny1st(m): 5:45pm On Jan 17, 2012
this is a very welcome development.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Toyesky: 5:50pm On Jan 17, 2012
This bill will be one o the reasonable BILL ever passed if it goes through.

Talking about Fraud, that can still be managed. If the ID project will work then I can not see fraud happening, nothing is impossible though
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Yagba: 5:53pm On Jan 17, 2012
Why are they silent over complaints about their needlessly outrageous allowances and bonuses? This hoodwinking won't work!
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by purefella(m): 6:11pm On Jan 17, 2012
Are they even ok?? is that the first thing to do with my money i spent on buying fuel at higher rates , WE NEED GOOD ROADS , ELECTRICITY AND FREE HEALTH CARE CENTERS not giving money to some hoodlums who can't even spell there names and call themselves unemployed graduates that there is no work OR TO SOME OLD FOLKS WHO ARE WITCHES AND WIZARD THAT WON'T PRAY FOR THERE CHILDREN BUT CURSE THEM AND NOW THERE OLD TIME THERE CHILDREN ARE NOT BLESSED ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF THEM
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by CyberG: 6:15pm On Jan 17, 2012
Deception! I think you Nigerians are REAlLY stupide to even think this will ever work! Do old pensioners get paid regularly per month? This is like throwing a bone to a dog in other to rob the house!
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by ct2: 6:16pm On Jan 17, 2012
yes a good development
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Mayflowa(m): 6:21pm On Jan 17, 2012
Again, this is by far a worse policy than the fuel subsidy. It will create so much unemployment. Even in the Uk, working people still declare bamkrupcy to benefit from social welfare let alone Nigeria with no records.

These senator will keep putting us in trouble. They really think the country has so much money because they are unreasonably paid.

Alternatively, money spend on corp member which currently stand at N600k/copper should be given to each corp member once after about 1 week intensive business and technical training to create SME.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by kinguwem: 6:38pm On Jan 17, 2012
This country does not have a comprehensive data base. Such a scheme though laudable will be prone to abuses. Lets put the basic structures on ground. Funding of the scheme can be achieved by the reduction of salaries and allowances of members of the national assembly and state houses of assembly. I thank God for touching the senator to sponsor a bill for the needy.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by 4gkevin: 6:48pm On Jan 17, 2012
Thank you senator Anyim Udeh for your good work. many Nigerians had long cried out for social security of our people. But its better late than never if it finally scale through. And I must commend you again for the mathematical frame work since it coincided with many other frame works of Nigerians. At least from my calculations and based on the amount you intended should be appropriated for this scheme, a total of about 105 millions will benefit from the scheme for both unemployed and the aged. This will definitely not be enough, but we can always amend.

N12700000000/yr divided by 12 months= 1058333333/month

1058333333/month divided by 10000= 105 million

We can start from there.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 17, 2012
N12 billion, whatever happened to N10 billion YOUWIN Scheme, grin grin grin grin
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by eghost247(m): 7:01pm On Jan 17, 2012
lets see where this goes its about time
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by buemene(m): 7:01pm On Jan 17, 2012
Considering What Nigeria makes on a daily basis and how much has been wasted on unprofitable ventures, initiating this noble ideal that will cost the country Just 12 Billion Naira a year (a figure lower than our daily national revenue) is one of the best thing that can ever happen during this administration. Admittedly, there will be lots of challenges such accurate figures of the truly unemployed in each of the states since there is no trustworthy database of this set of persons, however, let it start, and along the line some of the challenges will be taken care of.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by matty1024: 7:09pm On Jan 17, 2012
Social benefits is almost dying today in the western world, it creates avenue for laziness.
In Nigeria situation where we do not have proper data to checkmate our population
figure, I wonder how we can ascertain how many unemployed graduates in our society.
My guess is that the benefit scheme will be faulted by the handles, creating another means
of corruption. The best is to look into infrastural development, enabling environment for
job creation and Trust in the government circle.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by yeswecan(m): 7:14pm On Jan 17, 2012
This will be the biggest error we ever made. It is bad for economies and politics.  This bill will change the incentive structure of Nigerians - we do not need this at all. Once you start a welfare state there is no going back. Apart from the obvious fact that it will be an avenue for FRAUD – there are serious questions we have to ask before going this road.  Who will fund this?  (Because it’s going to be a permanent project).

From a purely practical front we do not have the institutional framework to do this. Even if we do, you are subsidizing people to stay idle. It can demean a child's inspirations to achieve to earn money as they know they will end up with money. The reason you have so much teenage pregnancy in the UK falls down to government welfare policy which created an incentive structure for young girls to get pregnant. It is simple and basic ' If you pay more for anything you tend to get more of that thing ' . We should stop looking at the western world - they are not having it well- we can do better. This is a country (Nigeria) with huge deal of government failures and we are talking on how to introducing a system that has never worked in the most competent of governments. There is no successful welfare system on planet earth – people like to cite NHS as a successful system but I tell you it is not successful.

The best security for unemployed graduates is getting a job and the government can play a better role in that.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by debedebe(m): 7:25pm On Jan 17, 2012
Avenue 4 thief thief, D bill wil be passed 400yrs 2 come, tschewww
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 17, 2012
utopian
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by tlops(m): 7:47pm On Jan 17, 2012
Oluwole go sell!

I think the population of unemployed in nigeria is overwhelming and this bill will not work, even if it works it will only create more problems as we do not have the fundamentals of social security in place. Even in countries where it is being given they are considering stopping it as the world population increases. I think they should first have a system to identify Nigerians first and lots of problem will half solved. Moreover the money could be used to create enabling environments for young entrepreneurs, fix power problems; more industries will be able to run, thereby creating employment.
Finally, its like the saying ; giving a man fish and teaching a man to fish. one solves the problem for a time while the other solves it permanently.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UK Politician Announces Buhari's Death In London Sends Condolence To Aishabuhari / APC Caucus Pass Vote Of Confidence On National Chairman / How Is Warri Part Of Oduduwa Republic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.