Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged (10012 Views)

FG To Replace N5,000 Monthly Stipend For Unemployed Youths —ngige / Anti-social Media Bill: Social Media Space Needs Clean Up — APC / N5,000 For The Poor: Katsina Women Storm Bank To Demand For APC Social Security (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by norrisman: 8:04pm On Jan 17, 2012
@ Seun

Have u ever left Abeokuta before? Providing social welfare is one of the most important duties of any state. Eventries the most prosperous countries have a social safety net. No country has a hundred percent employment rate so @ any one time there will be a certain percentage of the population in need of help and that is where social welfare plays its part. Having this type of system helps to greatly reduce crime. In the UK, the unemployment allowance is like £64/ week and the minimum wage is approximately £270/week. I know which one I'll choose. To be honest it is better for the govt to pay anyone who is happy to live the rest of their life on £64 a week from my taxes than for that person to feel left out and become a menace to me and my family.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by tlops(m): 8:18pm On Jan 17, 2012
what is the population of Uk?                                  What is the population of Nigeria?
what is the the un-employment rate in the Uk?         What is the un-employment rate in Nigeria?
How long have they built the SS foundation?            What system do we have in  place?

Then one can advise the gov't on this venture.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by iiiyyyk(m): 8:24pm On Jan 17, 2012
it is a great idea practiced in most well meaning nations.

but first, the enabling law like ten years prison term for any body that will be working and still collecting the money.

it should be conducted it partnership with nysc.

Remember we have a shabby system. so corruption will be a serious problem.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by aljharem(m): 8:33pm On Jan 17, 2012
iiiyyyk:

it is a great idea practiced in most well meaning nations.

but first, the enabling law like ten years prison term for any body that will be working and still collecting the money.

it should be conducted it partnership with nysc.

Mumu, who does not know it is a great idea just like subsidy removal But ideeiot like you would support it without proper planning just like the way they suppported the removal of subsidy just to get back at the hausa/yoruba

How can you give a so called unemployed gradutes money every month without social details and statistics of the country ?

Can a northerner do this and you ideeiot not insult him to bits ?

see how educated this people are, they don't even know the implications of monthly allocations without proper IDs and social security details of the people in the country.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by cinzo: 8:44pm On Jan 17, 2012
Another avenue to steal money. Who is going to manage it and how sure are we that ghost unemployed graduates and ghost old people will not hijack the scheme?
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by tlops(m): 8:51pm On Jan 17, 2012
alj harem:

Mumu, who does not know it is a great idea just like subsidy removal But ideeiot like you would support it without proper planning just like the way they suppported the removal of subsidy just to get back at the hausa/yoruba

How can you give a so called unemployed gradutes money every month without social details and statistics of the country ?

Can a northerner do this and you ideeiot not insult him to bits ?

see how educated this people are, they don't even know the implications of monthly allocations without proper IDs and social security details of the people in the country.

tell them, Nigerians like to copy good things but are not willing to follow the process that leads there, so we end up where we started. cart before the horse.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by alienkind: 10:31pm On Jan 17, 2012
This is simple,Government can start it wit 10k.A graduate who have no job,will
go to its university to report.The university will forward a written letter,his certificate and
nysc records to a body the federal government will set up.If you get a job,you write to
the benefits office informing them.Any one found claiming benefits and working at the
same time will be punished in accordance with the law.Any one also employing a graduate
should write to the benefits office also stating so,with the graduates credentials.If he employs the graduate
without doing this,he is liable to pay a huge fine or go to jail.This is what is done in overseas country.
If an employer is caught employing an illegal immigrant,he is fined big time.If government can do this,
crime will reduce.The police can handle the criminal part and monitoring,no need to waste money for task force.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by alarm4: 12:21am On Jan 18, 2012
@Alien, u jst make the Ryt Point,
but rmbr all fingers are not equal, in the sense that !!! some will take adv. of the Bill and frustrate others meanwhile the so called richmen son/daugthers will still be draging the same token with the less uncommon man, quote me? undecided
if this present Govt can come out with this it will really help the nation as a whole and reduce poverty rate to a minimal level, but it will also encourage more pple to get educated by all means so they can benefits from the same bill,  tongue
i will adv let the Bill be Pass, in this category manner
FSCL cert=5,000
SSCE cert=10;000
Tertairy =15,000
NYSC=20,000,  after all Nja is bless as among the largest oil reserved country in west africa,  our crude can feed the half quarty of the Nation population
, there and after,  if u, succed or u equally  get a cola job,  advice the benefit shld be withdraw.
  , but sm will become dormant and lazy to work, i believe sme sharp men will invest in it ryt frm day 1 of the pry-tertairy trust me (igbo boys) cool
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by mee2mee: 12:53am On Jan 18, 2012
Can I suggest finger print for verification b4 u collect ur monthly allowance.just a suggestion,
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Jenifa1: 1:12am On Jan 18, 2012
nigeria definitely doesn't need Social Security.
we can't even afford to feed ourselves now!! talkless of saving money for feeding ourselves when we are aged.

whoever came up with this plan for Nigeria needs to check his/herself.
and why would anybody create this sort of thread esp. in the wake of subsidy removal?
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by yiladogo: 1:14am On Jan 18, 2012
This is just another scam to chop money. don't pay them 10k only. Give them jobs.
Or hae we forgotten the old addage. It's better to teach me how to fish than give me your fish.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by aljharem(m): 1:15am On Jan 18, 2012
Jenifa_:

nigeria  definitely doesn't need Social Security.
we can't even afford to feed ourselves now!! talkless of saving money for when we are aged.

whoever came up with this plan for Nigeria needs to check his/herself.

it is actually a good plan but if there are no records of people in the country, someone from cotouno or chad can jsut drive down, collect his money and drive back out

aka border security which the subsidy saga could have made better but our people say" Lets give them a chance"
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by aljharem(m): 1:16am On Jan 18, 2012
yiladogo:

This is just another scam to chop money. don't pay them 10k only. Give them jobs.
Or hae we forgotten the old addage. It's better to teach me how to fish than give me your fish.

angry angry angry angry [size=14pt]"LETS give the government A CHANCE"[/size]
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Oletunow(m): 4:35am On Jan 18, 2012
Bad! bad!! bad!!! idea.

For a country that does not know its actual population not to talk of the statistic about who is employed and who is unemployed, this is another way for the elites to siphon and divert money out of the national treasury into their private accounts.

If the government is really concern about the unemployed, they will put that N10K to better use by establishing Agricultural centers or some type of industrial center that automatically employed the unemployed graduates, this way they earn the money and the federal government get some products/services done and their will be accountability, If people finds job in the private sector, they can decide to leave the program. The salary should be indexed for inflation and should be enough to sustain the individual but not too much to discourage people from taking advantage of the scheme, paying the minimum wage might be a way to start.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Nobody: 6:09am On Jan 18, 2012
I have no problem with this but do we have a dependable database system to ensure that no body is taking more than once. As at now, I know five people with 8 different Nigerian I.D card and 6 different driver's license. In other words, he can receive this proposed monthly dole 14 times or 140,000 naira or more and the system will not detect it. Have you heard about ghost workers in most of the federal and state parastatals. For example, there was an incident in one of the northern states were 3000 or so ghost workers were discovered. In essence, the director of the agency was doling out more than a 1billion naira for these ghost workers and converting it to his personal money. He did this monthly and guess what? He fleeced over 12billion naira in a year. And he was in office for 25 yrs. You can do the math for the 25 years he was a permanent secretary.

So my point is lets have a dependable database system otherwise it would be redundant and another avenue to waste money.

Personal Note:

" Permanent secretaries in Nigeria are the richest Nigerians." Offer me a ministerial position, I go say NO. Make me governor, I go say No. Make me ambassador, I go say no. Tell me go be permanent secretary at F.C.T, F.C.D.A, Department of Petroleum Resources or Works and Housing, I go take em!
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by gulfer: 6:47am On Jan 18, 2012
This will be social security for West Africans, just like Nigerian oil is available in the region courtesy a porous border and weak monitoring system. BTW, why is this for only graduate when many secondary school leavers are unable to proceed to the university and how many of these law makers are genuine graduates?
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Jilo83(m): 7:23am On Jan 18, 2012
apart frm abusing d program, it wil encourage laziness. Why can't u copy oyo n osun state govts (yes-o n oyes).
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by stagger: 7:46am On Jan 18, 2012
If ex-militants can be paid N65,000 for doing nothing but constitute a general nuisance wherever they are camped, I do not see why we cannot pay social security cheques to the elderly and unemployed.

My problem has always been that just like the NAPEP payments under the OBJ regime, these same senators and HOR members will fill the lists with their relations and ghost names, hence defeating the aim of the program.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 18, 2012
For posters who feel that Governance of over 160 million people is run on CHANCE. I am wondering if your lives are run on CHANCE as well or disciplined planning and execution. no wonder we always return to the same issues everytime, Good Roads, Good Hospitals, Drugs for the Poor, Good Electricity, Good Education, Good Housing, Good Security - 50years after!!! all on CHANCE[size=15pt][/size], sometimes I think Nigerians deserve their leaders as well as the suffering they go through angry angry angry
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by UyiIredia(m): 4:11pm On Jan 18, 2012
A needless bill. If present laws are thoroughly enforced and good governance is assured, there will be no need for government to create welfare schemes such as this. Moreover, given the Nigerian reality such a Bill is a very likely avenue for fraud.
Re: Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged by tlops(m): 7:51pm On Jan 18, 2012
It wont work in Nigeria of today! we need systems that works and will be durable, Ghost Graduate. lol !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Indigenous Igbos Of Benue Cry Out / UK Politician Announces Buhari's Death In London Sends Condolence To Aishabuhari / Kwankwaso's Election Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.