Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,336 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Etteh Made Mistakes But… – Bode George - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Etteh Made Mistakes But… – Bode George (825 Views)

'GEJ Made Mistakes But God Knows He Tried' - Reno Omokri / Patricia Etteh Decamps From PDP To APC / Exchange Of Blows Over Patricia Etteh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Etteh Made Mistakes But… – Bode George by Austincrow(m): 3:43pm On Oct 09, 2007
Etteh made mistakes but… – George
By Geoffrey Ekenna
Published: Tuesday, 9 Oct 2007
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mrs. Patricia Etteh, is currently facing the storm over the N628m scandal. What are you doing to help her?

That’s a good question. I have read the report. I think they have gone on recess. We have assessed the report. Although I am not a lawyer, now, the following questions I think we should ask ourselves: Has any money been traced to accounts of any of the individuals involved? Two, fine, procedurally, there were certain lapses. But what is the standard operating procedure in the National Assembly for this? The lesson I have learnt – and I believe they will learn – is that the due process concept must now be followed in the National Assembly, so that those who are the leaders do not sit in judgement over their utilities. A committee should have been set up to sort the whole thing out. It could be ad-hoc; it could be permanent or anything. The committee should have come out with reports that these are what should be done. The way it is done now makes room for a lot of flaws and did she deviate from the standard operating procedure? And what is that procedure? Has any money been traced into accounts of any individual, which will make it look like he or she have stolen? On that basis, don’t let them vilify them until these things are proved. Let us be fair. Yes, procedurally, there have been certain lapses. No doubt about it. But has that landed them in any criminal form by which funds have been stolen? The public now believes they stole N600m; that is what they read in the newspapers.

When you talk of procedural error and the feeling that the contract was inflated, how fair can the Speaker be treated?

What do you mean by treating the Speaker? Just take this particular case. Even in the Federal Executive Council, ministries would have advertised contracts, done all the bidding and whatever, before they are awarded, memos would have been written. The Due Process Office will set up their own machinery on the Internet or anywhere. What is the cost of the things quoted by the contractors? This is what is done the world over. We are just getting into the throes of that in this country. When you talk of fairness to the Speaker, I say procedurally, there are lapses in that place. Those lapses I have seen based on my experience. What is the standard operating procedure in the National Assembly? You take the National Assembly. Is the due process fully established there? Where you do a counter checking; if you don’t do that, now is the time to let us do that. But in the mindset of every Nigerian, Madam Speaker has stolen N628m. That is not the truth. Look, forget about the names behind those people. Look at the issues because I had that experience. The newspaper will flash stories and the people will say ‘Ah! she has stolen’. If she has stolen money, fine. If she has not stolen money and there are lapses that have been established, then what is the punishment for lapses? That is the way the legislator will look at it. Remember due process started under Baba’s (Obasanjo’s) administration. But it has been on in America for a long time. So, for me, he who goes to equity must go with clean hands. Let us go there before we rush to judgement. They say there were cases before; people have been removed. If people were removed before, was there no transfer of money or something?

Are we saying that unless the money is traced to her account then there is nothing against her?

Was the money stolen? Did they tell you that any money was stolen? I have read the report and what they said was that there were lapses: whether it was advertised or not; whether it was quoted above or above. Has the money been paid or what? If the contract has been awarded, has the money been paid to anybody? Has the money been stolen? If the money had not been paid, it is now that you say, ‘Okay don’t pay.’ If there was a fully established due process, then it would have raised the alarm. If the whole thing has been concluded and money paid out, then, you can send somebody to jail. But now, you apply corrective measures. We have to be fair to her and to ourselves. Today it is her. Tomorrow it could be me. I know tomorrow now, they will say that Bode Geroge is covering Etteh. I don’t have the powers to cover Etteh.

Source:http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200710093275150
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But… – Bode George by follyg: 9:30am On Oct 10, 2007
What else do you expect from the deputy garisson commander. A thief in his own right, have you all forgotten how much he stole from NPA, obasanjo covered him up that is why he has turned a senior advocate for fellow thiefs.

Check out his level of reasoning, grossly illogical. Reasoning from the greatest depth of stupidity. we need to conduct a CT scan on some of these so called leaders to be double sure they are not going around with empty skulls.

Bode George calls extra budgetary spending to the tune of 628million a lapse, an offence that carries 2 years jail term without option of fine. Please must we trace our money to their accounts before we know they are milking us dry in these days of offshore accounts and money laundering. Bode George trivialised the issue of awarding contracts to companies that are faceless, not legally recognised. Awarding contract to her(etteh) special adviser is a minor lapse.
When will the likes of Bode George stop insulting our mentality as if they can reason more than everyone even in the face of daunting evidences.

We all know Bode is a dullard anyway, its only PDP that has not realised that. Even as National Vice Chairman of PDP, he was not able to win even at the booth in front of his house, let alone ward or LGA. Even his so called Woman friend(Roli Adeniyi) could not sail through to the House of rep under the Umbrella of PDP and George. What good can we expect from such a monumental failure that depend solely on rigging Elections.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: Am not a politician.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Politics / Quit Anpp, Ume-ezeoke Tells Buhari / What Have You Done For Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.