Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,049 members, 7,810,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) (4181 Views)

How To Build Mobile Friendly Website Using Smf Wap2 Mod / How Can I Advertise On Nairaland Without Getting Banned. / How Can I Embed Google Ads In My Smf Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 19, 2012
You see, i have had requests like this so many times, and i am even facing one like that at the moment, i am at a loss of what to say really. . . .contributions please.
Let me rephrase the question again: Let us say you are to design nairaland from the scratch, maybe with the help of a cms or a framework or straight-coding, anyone that suites you, how much will you charge and how will you justify it.

Everyone is welcomed to contribute please. . . .
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by teemy(m): 10:22am On Jan 19, 2012
I go minimum 120k on any fully db powered job if coding from scratch. However, if cms is involved, I will go my lower 80k.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Thatdave(m): 10:37am On Jan 19, 2012
@OP
your question is unexpectedly confused.
First it says without using smf then using a cms. . . . This means i can install phPbb and spin it in 24 hrs pocket ma 50k and go my way. Lol.
Then it says 'with extra features' without listing the features which essentially determine the amount for every web design.

Please be specific.
If you meant from scratch, with the exact current features of nairaland and a plug in functionality for future features, i-ll spin it in 2wks and charge 200k or above with retension of ownership rights to the software.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by yawatide(f): 11:28am On Jan 19, 2012
>= N300K
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 19, 2012
From scratch more like it, because there seem to be some other stuffs like buying and selling involved. I dont really know so much details actually.
But from what i concluded from the little bits of info i have gotten, it has to be done without the use of smf or any ready-made forum because the requirements will affect the way the programming works. It is best done from scratch.

yawa-ti-de:

>= N300K
More like it.

teemy:

I go minimum 120k on any fully db powered job if coding from scratch. However, if cms is involved, I will go my lower 80k.
Fair enough, but you may later regret it. . .
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Afam4eva(m): 2:18pm On Jan 19, 2012
I really don't see why someone should be creating a forum from scratch in 2012. Except you're creating your own forum CMS.

I've had people tell me to design a forum like nairaland and i just tell them straight up that nairaland runs on an open source software and they can also install one by the click of a mouse. I wan sleep well for night. Not after collecting 200k for smf and can't sleep in the night.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by instinctg(m): 3:32pm On Jan 19, 2012
afam4eva:

I wan sleep well for night. Not after collecting 200k for smf and can't sleep in the night.
y ? ow does that affect ur peace of mind?
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Afam4eva(m): 3:38pm On Jan 19, 2012
instinctg:

y ? ow does that affect your peace of mind?

It's dubious to collect that much money to install a free software. Even if you will be modifying it, that amount is preposterous.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by teemy(m): 3:59pm On Jan 19, 2012
@dhtml, even if the output of the site is just a little 'HELLO WORLD', I will still charge that 120k as long as it falls into the category specified. Also that's minimum. The end result depends on my client's greed limit of 'I want this, I want that'. I will bill appropriately with the time the client is keeping me off NARUTO. Gba be!
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 19, 2012
^^^Justified Temy, i love the way you guys are responding to this thread. Meanwhile, this client thought he could do the job for 30k. I opened this thread of behalf of the client, just to see the reaction of you guys.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by teemy(m): 5:22pm On Jan 19, 2012
The only time I had problems with a client was with one that was paying a ridiculously low price and yet was making too many demands. It looks like a jazz issue when the ones that bid low are the troublemakers in nearly all business deals. I rather use that precious time in watching animes or market analysis or even simply sleeping and wait for the next sms alert. I get soft spot but not in cases where my effort would not be appreciated talkless of bad mouthed.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 19, 2012
@temmy Gbam any client keeping me some Rasengan ish had better pay correct bar, and i support Afam i'd be mad to code from scratch, the only coding from scratch that take place this days are frameworks to be used by others, rather than rolling your custom CMS why not just use and existing one and patch what you need except you after the fame.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Thatdave(m): 8:08pm On Jan 19, 2012
afam4eva:

I really don't see why someone should be creating a forum from scratch in 2012. Except you're creating your own forum CMS.

I've had people tell me to design a forum like nairaland and i just tell them straight up that nairaland runs on an open source software and they can also install one by the click of a mouse. I wan sleep well for night. Not after collecting 200k for smf and can't sleep in the night.
Untill you see it ,you wont be able to do a thing worth leaving a job for on the internet.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jan 19, 2012
@dave well there are so many tons of frameworks rather than build from scratch you can pull codes from each and modify to what you want.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by yawatide(f): 8:31pm On Jan 19, 2012
It's dubious to collect that much money to install a free software. Even if you will be modifying it, that amount is preposterous.

It's "dubious"? Says who?  it's called capitalism.  Okay, letz look at it this way, and this is based on personal experience:

I wanted a pair of shoes to wear for a wedding.  Something to wear once and that was it, since I had forgotten mine at home.  I saw a nice boutique, found a shoe.  It was going for 50K. Knowing that you pay wat is on the price tag, I no say word.  I look shoe, im look me.  Na so I cross road enter open air market.  find reasonable shoe for 8K. Price am to 5k.  Buy am comot.

now, would you say the boutique was dubios charging me 50K?  Nope.  It is capitalism at its best/marketing to a certain clientele.  If people don't buy it, he will most likely drop the price until people can afford it.  Most importantly, that 50K price also has the customer service of the employees, air conditioned environment, etc built in, all of which the guy also has to pay for and thus is factored into the price of the 50K shoe.

In talking with a lot of web designers and clients alike, it seems (and I speak generally) both ends of the spectrum fail to make the same connection to building a website as they would to say, a pair of shoes.  It is the same difference.  I mean, I have to keep reading to remain relevant and upgrade my skill set, I went to school to do what I am doing and I had to pay school fees, if you are in Nigeria, you have to pay for fuel and most importantly, I have to charge enough money such that I have money to set aside for my savings, after paying my bills.

If DHTML's client is watching this thread, trust me, building SMF from scratch, especially if he hasn't built one before, no b beans o!  Not to mention, DHTML is one of the best out there, as far as NL is concerned.  That 300K I quoted, that to me would be on the low side.  500K might be more like it, after actually talking to you and getting more specific details.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Thatdave(m): 8:51pm On Jan 19, 2012
pc guru:

@dave well there are so many tons of frameworks rather than build from scratch you can pull codes from each and modify to what you want.
Cultivating an acre of land is different from buying an already cultivated acre of land yet it doesn't necessarily mean hoeing every ridge!
Nah, i use remote controlled tractors,
What of you?
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 19, 2012
@dave ehmmm remote tractor i guess  grin
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 19, 2012
Hmmn, you guys have echoes out my mind on this matter. I opened this thread just to be sure that others can express their view so it will not look like i am trying to collect excess charges for no reason.
If this were a simple "CMS INSTALLER" job now, i might have done it, but it is a tough programming job. Even to patch existing CMS no be beans, not to mention adding some stuffs to it again.
I think it is more honourable to pull out here, rather than hang myself for no reasons at all.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by yawatide(f): 9:37pm On Jan 19, 2012
nna, no send dem. If yo u fit collect 500K to install smf, by all means do it. There is nothing dubious about it. You have no reason to feel bad. If the client can afford it, good. If not, you negotiate. As I have said here and elsewhere, Nike and Bata, all na shoe but Nike better pass Bata by far.

Interestingly, as I have said earlier as well, if na shoe, una go buy am, no mind at all. But since na "common" web design, all of a sudden, I am supposed to feel bad? Tufia! This class/money warfare/envy needs to stop!!!
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 19, 2012
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 19, 2012
Santa Maria! It is business now, anything goes jare. It matters not how much you get paid.

Okay okay, how about this. A client collects a job for millions and paid a developer 30k to do the job. And he does it, and everyone goes home happy. That happens a lot, it is business too.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jan 19, 2012
500k for installing smf jealous ke abi  i sholud ask for tutorial on how you can convince client to do similar, to be frank there's no tag to IT it depends on you as person, but i will never hang myself as dhtml said, was building a Joomla Portal for lawyer he started researchng Joomla on his own and said he didnt need to pay much since he could always grasp joomla in one day and am delays his for weeks. after some days of reading the other side of joomla creating Components and MVC, he didnt argue about price anymore, so @yawa i doubt anyone should beefing if such happens. u married or was that  just an example ?  wink
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 19, 2012
@dhtml am loving the class stuff anyway i can create tutorials there
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by teemy(m): 10:34pm On Jan 19, 2012
@pc guru. Abeg face your pc. Stay with topic
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jan 19, 2012
@temmy no mind me but would you build from scratch ?
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by yawatide(f): 10:51pm On Jan 19, 2012
Anyone with a conscience will feel bad for selling a bucket for the price of a Ferrari; it has nothing to do with class warfare.

You are speaking in generalities here.  Don't count me in this "anyone" group.  I don't feel bad for any price quoted.  Take that back: I feel bad when I realize that I may have quoted lower than what I should have.  Again, it is all about capitalism.  Besides, just because I charge you 500K doesn't mean that is what you will pay.  There is a negotiation process.  Abi, do you think that when the FG raised fuel price to 141 that it actually was going to sell for 141 eventually? Nope.  They knew that if they said 90, NLC would beat it down to 80.  So they said 141 and probably settled for what they actually wanted to raise it to  cool

Initially I thought Mitt Romney hijacked your account and posted that.

Nope.  Actually it was hijacked by Bill Clinton who makes hundreds of thousands in speech money and last year made about $20m, while at the same time going cap-in-hand asking supporters to help pay his wife's $1m (?) debt from the 2008 democratic nomination process (geez!  Why are the republicans always the bad ones?  )
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 19, 2012
pc guru:

@dhtml am loving the class stuff anyway i can create tutorials there
[offtopic]okay, we will talk about that later. Tutorials are welcome really. At least i have set a pace there.[/offtopic]

@OP, my give and take is that - i will rather not do the job unless the client is willing to pay at least 100k - minimum wages here. The other stuffs will determine how much i will add (and not remove).
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jan 19, 2012
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 19, 2012
^^^^Hmmnn, all this money. . .i think i am going to be changing my line of profession very soon.
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by yawatide(f): 11:46pm On Jan 19, 2012
To your point:
I said what I said because according to post #7, it is "dubious" to charge certain amount of money just because it is, in the poster's opinion, on the high side.  Now, why would such a high price be "dubious" and not say, "expensive"?  For your reference (since you are into quoting articles, which I will get into below  tongue): http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dubious - or was the word just casually thrown out there, without knowing the meaning?

Regarding Bill Clinton:
I knew you would scour the net just to try and veer the conversation off course grin - so I said $20m.  My bad. I meant to say $10m.  Regardless, as you have pointed out, he has made at least $75m.  This is even more reason not to go begging for mugus to help pay off your wife's debt (in fact, I will go to the very same site you went to, to pull the article wink http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/14/bill-clinton-offers-big-apple-prize-to-pay-hillarys-campaign-debt/)

By the way, you are yet to answer my question as to why you chose Mitt Romney (a Republican) and not a democrat  8

dhtml:
Na so o! For US, it seems the quickest way to score millions is to either make speeches, sell a book, star in a (stolen) sex tape or star in your very own reality show. Sadly, the last 2 are slowly but surely making their way to Nigeria sad
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 12:01am On Jan 20, 2012
[off-topic]In Nigeria, quickest way to make gazillions of money is to become an evil warlord - call it any name you like.[/off-topic]
Re: How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications) by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 20, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Php/Mysql Class Commences: Book Your Seats Now! / Who Have 15000 Valid Email Addresses / Yookos Version 2.1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.