Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,312 members, 7,811,927 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? (12979 Views)

How To Fight And End Corruption In Nigeria - Opinion / Proof For Nigerians That General Buhari Truly Means To End Corruption In Nigeria / Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by omokidew: 2:56pm On Jan 20, 2012
Let us first introduce the death penalty then find a few top officials as scape goats ( iweala and Diezani baby ). I also believe that the introduction of lie detectors within the security agencies will help deter them from taking bribes , Each and every one of them should be checked at least, once every year. A security agent that doesnt take bribe or afraid to take bribe will go a long way to reducing corruption within the system and the country. Increase their Salaries and in return, make it compulsory for each and every officer to take the test annually. To make it easy, any officer undergoing a promotion should be subjected to the test, asset and a background  check, Just imagine stretching a 200 naira note to a policeman and he says no ( frowns and licks his lips ).
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On Jan 20, 2012
Nashville:

Electoral reform is the answer!

When our leaders know and understand that they can be voted out if they do not perform, then they will sit up and do what is necessary. The reason why our leaders are doing nothing at the moment is that they believe they can always "buy their way" back to office. If there are real elections and voters understand the power of their votes, our leaders will be forced to fight corruption and we will all join in.

Well, if you actually did something to curb corruption prior to elections, they would not be able to do that, would they? What we need at this time is not more changes to laws. What we need is action. Reforms don't themselves change things. The same way, our laws, which are some of the best in the world, don't implement themselves. People need to proactively push to get them enforced.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by kizito96(m): 3:03pm On Jan 20, 2012
The Government can try and not to eradicate
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Arosa(m): 3:08pm On Jan 20, 2012
not to eradicate what? angry
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 20, 2012
To be sincere, Nigeria isnt the only ppl corrupt neigther are we the worst!
Im suspecting that this country is under curse

Russia is corrupt yet they are growing,
some south american countries same thing yet their country isnt doing bad as ours
even china  self!
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by oziomatv(m): 3:21pm On Jan 20, 2012
If we can Stop Being GREEDY wherever We Belongs, Being it Top or Bottom corruption can be controlled.
 Nigeria is synonymous with corruption.
Everybody is shouting GEJ, OBJ, IBB, MKO, MTN and NPF & co. As if putting them in power will make any different.
Nigerian citizens are the problem not Govt.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 20, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Well, if you actually did something to curb corruption prior to elections, they would not be able to do that, would they? What we need at this time is not more changes to laws. What we need is action. Reforms don't themselves change things. The same way, our laws, which are some of the best in the world, don't implement themselves. People need to proactively push to get them enforced.

Electoral reform includes passage of laws and educating the electorate. If there is no law there is no sin. Electoral reform could include removing immunity for serving politicians, educating the populace about the importance of their votes and then over-hauling the voting process so that it is harder to rig. The current process makes it easy to rig. And I agree people need to push which is the job for all of us.

My point is that, if leaders know that when they do not perform, they will definitely not getting another four years, then they will sit up. If I were president, I will suggest elections are every three years so that we can quickly boot out none performers. As the saying goes, what gets measured gets done, and what gets rewarded get done repeatedly. If we reward good governance with more years in office, then our politicians will start to perform. If they know they can buy their way back, then they will continue stealing.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by dmainboss: 3:26pm On Jan 20, 2012
Reading thru these posts, I feel like crying because most of us dont even know what our problem is in Nigeria.

Many of you just make cliches like top to bottom or bottom to top. Those are very vague statements. I have said over and over again that corruption is not the problem of Nigeria. Corruption is a result of the problem, not the problem itself. There are fundamentals that must be dealt with and the most important of those is the establishment of true federalism and the complete overhaul of our constitution. The constitution of Nigeria is the single most important factor that facilitates corruption. Once we can develop a new constitution that esponges all the loopholes on which corruption thrives, then we are on course.
Crap like federal character, structure of government are major corruption loopholes.

How can a constitution say you must appoint a minister from each state. So if you cant get someone who is credible from a state, what do you do? What of the composition of people in federal parastatals, the real coven of corruption. We always fight politicians in Nigeria, but we keep forgetting that these politicians cannot operate without the aid of government people in the various ministries. And by government people, i do not necessarily mean ministers. I am talkign about the foot soldiers and middle management. Have you gone to Abuja to see the cars these government workers drive. You will feel sick.

It has become a real epidemic and God help us. One of the problems I had with the last protest was the morality of corrupt people claiming they are fighting against corruption. It is like a man fighting against himself. The only person I can stand behind in Nigeria and fight against corruption is Chief Gani Fawehimi. evry other person parading out there as anti corruption are all a bunch of goats. Femi Falana, Buhari, Tam David West, El Rufai and the lot out there are very corrupt guys.

The guys that really made me laugh were the Nigerian artists talking about fighting corruption. It really made me feel bad. They are corruption personified. They even claimed government should cut down on waste. I was shocked because they are the biggest beneficiaries of government waste. Imagine an artist collecting N4m for performing a 3 minute track in a government function. That is the definition of waste. We just need something to happen to change our hearts in Nigeria because we are deceiving ourselves when we talk about fighting corruption. I dare say all the guys posting on this thread are a bunch of corrupt duds
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Faheedat: 3:33pm On Jan 20, 2012
Provided all the institutions are working
Average Nigerians opportunist in government are living above his or her income?
GEJ - To declare emmergency in ENERGY,POWER,EDUCATION,HEALTH,INFRASTRUCTURE,OIL&GAS,AGRICULTURE, WATER RESOURCES,HOUSING
CLOSE AND BRIDGE THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICH AND THE POOR AND GEJ SHOULD ENSURE THAT ALL THE
INSTITUTIONS ARE WORKING AND THERE IS PROTECTION OF LIVES AND PROPERTY WE ARE IN SHAPE

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Skii(m): 3:37pm On Jan 20, 2012
Just like an outbreak of a disease or an epidemic,,,,we need to isolate and quarantine it
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by juman(m): 3:39pm On Jan 20, 2012
ALGAMISH:

The answer is Revolution

True.

Or having new nigeria (a restructured nigeria with new constitution).

But I prefer break up.

Anti corruption is not existing.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Jan 20, 2012
Nashville:

Electoral reform includes passage of laws and educating the electorate. If there is no law there is no sin. Electoral reform could include removing immunity for serving politicians, educating the populace about the importance of their votes and then over-hauling the voting process so that it is harder to rig. The current process makes it easy to rig. And I agree people need to push which is the job for all of us.

I think you are missing the point here. Electoral reform does not dictate whether Serving politicians have immunity or not. Electoral reform is not needed for educating of the populace. Electoral reform does not needed for most everything you have on that list. In fact, we already have laws SIGNED AND SEALED that handle much of what you have listed there, well except for immunity BUT nothing stops the impeachment or removal of sitting politicians. We have seen it happen there in Nigeria. . , so I don't think you have a good picture of the situation there.  We have laws  . . . . . what we are lacking is IMPLEMENTATION OF THOSE LAWS, not more laws.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by olajide8(m): 3:40pm On Jan 20, 2012
Maslow scale of preference or human needs
                                     I
                     I.                             I
         I.                 I.               I.                    I
I.              I.      I            I.    I             I.     I              I

Beautiful chart of moral cleansing-
I just love drawing this chart the first level deals with only two people its easier for him to handle 2 people efficiently subsequently going down the ladder the man on top is corrupt he just can't control the others immediately sub-ordinating him and then look at the grossness of the corruption being perpetrated
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 20, 2012
From the top to the bottom because if the head is rotten the body is useless. Mind you corruption is a spirit that most Nigerians possess you can never end it but can be reduced  to an insignificant level  when you and I search ourselves.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Meklex(m): 3:57pm On Jan 20, 2012
they should not end it, I'm yet to benefit from it.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Jumaisha(f): 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2012
God's intevention will solve it
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by AHAMDOZIE: 4:12pm On Jan 20, 2012
Execute and seize the properties of the fist 1000 richest nigerian kiss cry lipsrsealed
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by karpentar: 4:17pm On Jan 20, 2012
Nobody should be spared not even a member of your ethnic group. Corruption fight can never succeed with tribal sentiments. This sentiment is too pronounced not only in nairaland, but in the country as a whole. Example, here in nairaland, some people absolve Tinubu of corruption practices but are very quick to condemn people like Mrs, Madueke, okonjo iweala, etc. It's a shame!!!!!!
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Lasinoh: 4:24pm On Jan 20, 2012
Corrution cannot be ended anywhere in the world.
You can only manage it. kiss

In the Nigerian case, NO HOPE!
My God is not a GOD of impossibilities,

Amen?
Amen! kiss
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by GBEBAM(m): 4:25pm On Jan 20, 2012
Can corruption end in the country,i am say ds dat nigeria can't stop corruption

Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by aljharem(m): 4:33pm On Jan 20, 2012
karpentar:

Nobody should be spared not even a member of your ethnic group. Corruption fight can never succeed with tribal sentiments. This sentiment is too pronounced not only in nairaland, but in the country as a whole. Example, here in nairaland, some people absolve Tinubu of corruption practices but are very quick to condemn people like Mrs, Madueke, okonjo iweala, etc. It's a shame!!!!!!

It is a shame you do not know the difference between goons and actual people

Paid agents are Beaf and his numerous IDs, Eko Ile

And there are tribalist that would support anything so long as it does not favour the hausa and yoruba, these people are majority Igbos on NL eg Point B, Nchara, Obiagu etc

Imagine the same people support punishment of the cabals angry at Ifenyi Uba's persecution.

you see what I mean.

Even the last protest showed the both the hausas and yorubas populist DON'T care if their tribe man is corrupt. Poverty has no ethnicity or race. it is everywhere and the sooner we stop thinking shallow, the better it is for all of us which include an average Ijaw man.

I was looking at bayelsa the other day and all i did is shake my head. that is the same state Alams and GEJ were once governors.

GEJ is the president now, Alams is part of his carbinent and you think these people care about you ?

I am sure they don't even know likes of us exist until during election when they send like of Beaf to deceive the gullible minds. eg like of you.

Let my remind you that the person that stated fighting corruption int he country is OBJ, that the first victim was tafa balogun a yoruba man as well. Another one is Ribadu and his first victim was Alams, so people don't care what ethnic group you are from.

WE WANT DEVELOPMENT. a good country would not only be go for an avearge man regardless of his ethnicity but petty things like tribe etc would be long forgotten if everyone is enjoying Nigeria like they do when they are in saudi, USA, UK etc
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Arosa(m): 4:38pm On Jan 20, 2012
dmainboss,
The guys that really made me laugh were the Nigerian artists talking about fighting corruption. It really made me feel bad. They are corruption personified. They even claimed government should cut down on waste. I was shocked because they are the biggest beneficiaries of government waste. Imagine an artist collecting N4m for performing a 3 minute track in a government function. That is the definition of waste. We just need something to happen to change our hearts in Nigeria because we are deceiving ourselves when we talk about fighting corruption. I dare say all the guys posting on this thread are a bunch of corrupt duds
you were making sense until you wrote this paragraph. nonsense!
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Arosa(m): 4:49pm On Jan 20, 2012
well said, karpentar.

they should not end it, I'm yet to benefit from it.

For me the quotes above are the reasons why corruption is very strong in Naija. there is no genuine will to fight corruption.  angry angry angry
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by hasyak(m): 4:55pm On Jan 20, 2012
alj harem:

It is a shame you do not know the difference between goons and actual people

Paid agents are Beaf and his numerous IDs, Eko Ile

And there are tribalist that would support anything so long as it does not favour the hausa and yoruba, these people are majority Igbos on NL eg Point B, Nchara, Obiagu etc

Imagine the same people support punishment of the cabals angry at Ifenyi Uba's persecution.

you see what I mean.

Even the last protest showed the both the hausas and yorubas populist DON'T care if their tribe man is corrupt. Poverty has no ethnicity or race. it is everywhere and the sooner we stop thinking shallow, the better it is for all of us which include an average Ijaw man.

I was looking at bayelsa the other day and all i did is shake my head. that is the same state Alams and GEJ were once governors.

GEJ is the president now, Alams is part of his carbinent and you think these people care about you ?

I am sure they don't even know likes of us exist until during election when they send like of Beaf to deceive the gullible minds. eg like of you.

Let my remind you that the person that stated fighting corruption int he country is OBJ, that the first victim was tafa balogun a yoruba man as well. Another one is Ribadu and his first victim was Alams, so people don't care what ethnic group you are from.

WE WANT DEVELOPMENT. a good country would not only be go for an avearge man regardless of his ethnicity but petty things like tribe etc would be long forgotten if everyone is enjoying Nigeria like they do when they are in saudi, USA, UK etc

+7.3
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Finecat(m): 4:55pm On Jan 20, 2012
We can end corruption by shooting at sight or by Chopping of fingers. Large scale crime = chop off the ring finger and make them pay the money back. Medium scale = Chop off the index finger plus restitution, small scale corruption = chop off the pinky finger plus restitution.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Africanson: 5:06pm On Jan 20, 2012
You have inflation and hyper-inflation, so also with corruption. Nigeria's corruption is no longer solvable because corruption itself have made it impossible. The person that could save Nigeria will NEVER have the opportunity to get to the top; courtesy corruption. Even if he can he would get corrupted before he get there. An HONEST man can never be the President of Nigeria. Why?. Because a society always get the leadership it deserves.

Without the kind of REVOLUTION you watch on TV in Example Egypt, e.t.c Nigeria is going nowhere. But this revolution will never happen unless we still had Lagos as capital.
But in 100 years though there may be no place called Nigeria unless there's a REVOLUTION. I' am sorry to tell you the truth.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Concept(m): 5:11pm On Jan 20, 2012
Lead by example to have a say. It started up there but it is now norms in our society. The seriousness of the ones at the top to eradicate corruption is important in regard that themselves are corruption free. If not to end corrupt practices in my dear country is a mirage.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Mogidi: 5:27pm On Jan 20, 2012
In my opinion the only way to stop corruption is to stop Tinubu from contesting any election. The man has no conscience when he goes on a looting spree, ask the people of Lagos.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by trustidkid: 5:29pm On Jan 20, 2012
@op

Eradicating corruption needs start from both the people at the helm of the affairs and the governs. If we all realised that because we have in one way or the other contributed to the present state of corruption in the country the quick we find lasting solution to it otherwise we continue to blame our inefficencies on another person.

Please change attitude today, Nigeria shall change if,
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by dublinkmy6: 6:49pm On Jan 20, 2012
From bottom, because what u have at the top is just a replica of the wider majority. And in a system whereby majority carries the vote then it is of utmost importance that the majority (who also put the select few at the top), should have attrributes they expect of those at the top. You cannot sow pepper and then expect to reap apples.
BTW, if only our church going population can practice what they are being taught, or our parents can raise good, educated children, then this country would be the envy of the world.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by maureen201: 7:24pm On Jan 20, 2012
Corruption in Nigeria started from the top echelon and has to be tackled from there too because the masses became bad because of the evil that is afflicting them due to the actions of our leaders.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Wallie(m): 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2012
The cleansing needs to start from the judiciary! Even if the police, Army, SSS, customs, and EFCC carry out their respective duties, they still need to charge the accused to court.

But what happens when a corrupt judge hinders prosecution or aids the accused illegally?

[list]
[li]People that threaten Nigeria's national security are being released on bail (BH suspects)[/li]
[li]Judges are issuing injunctions to stop prosecution of an accused[/li]
[li]People are forum shopping to get a better outcome[/li]
[li]Judges are handing out punishments to corrupts officials that amounts to less than a slap on the wrist[/li]
[li]Rich people are buying judgments with stolen funds etc[/li]
[/list]

The judiciary holds the required card to make Nigeria better! They need to be reformed!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

N537m: Donald Duke Considering Out-of-court Talk With AMCON Over Seized Property / 2023 Is A Crossroad For Every Nigerian Youth" - Hon. Bello Buhari Ibrahim / Zahra Buhari Murders English Language, Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.