Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,991 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? (12980 Views)

How To Fight And End Corruption In Nigeria - Opinion / Proof For Nigerians That General Buhari Truly Means To End Corruption In Nigeria / Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by tlops(m): 9:14pm On Jan 20, 2012
Mid-bottom and mid upward!
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by nikky5(m): 9:26pm On Jan 20, 2012
until jona declare his assets nd that of his wife d grammarian.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Reference(m): 10:48pm On Jan 20, 2012
I'm not too sure corruption can be ended in Nigeria or indeed in any part of the world. What makes corruption hideous is not the act itself but the impact. Financial corruption will have a greater impact in a poor country as opposed to a more affluent one. In Nigeria corruption takes several forms but it is the financial type that impacts most on our society.

I believe the level of corruption in a nation is directly proportional to the tolerance of such practices by the people. In Nigeria classic examples abound. The longest ruling governments have generally being the most corrupt and the shortest the least. This speaks a lot about the people. Now don't say military, civilian or democratic because in Ghana they have had good military rule, in Cote D'Ivorie they had a relatively good civilian autocracy while in South Africa for example they have a largely underperforming popular democracy. At the end of the day it is the people that matter. They change what they are fed up about. Babangida couldn't overthrow Buhari if a whole swathe of Nigerians didn't support him. Some of the best brains in the land served in his government and lost their souls to graft.

There is another factor that makes corruption difficult to fight. The sideways motion, the tremors of a structurally unstable state. Too much power in the centre, ethno-religious divisions, etc, which are unique in their nature being both products and raw materials of the corrupt state and which successive governments and peoples (even on this forum) have used successfully to justify all manner of atrocities. I believe to tackle corruption you have to solve these imbalances FIRST. Not saying government and the people should not try but these are gaping holes in the bucket of a well rounded and progressive society.

Now if one is to answer the question directly I would say, 'From bottom to Top' Why. Simple. It is a game of numbers. There are a lot more people affected by corruption than there are those committing the big ones that impact massively. If one has a headache you don't expect the headache to head to the clinic for remedy, no. It is the body who is adversely affected that seeks a reprieve. Government officials in themselves cannot change. Why, Numbers. When an elected official gets into power he meets a hundred people who have been there before him and most likely remain after him. Every one of them has a family four, five, six times his number depending completely on his corruption practices. So it doesn't really matter where its starts. The question is where does it end. Who breaks the cycle, the IGP who will be there for four years or the constable who may become IGP in thirty years to come and is already an egunje pro.

I personally think to beat corruption institutions have to be built not by government but by the people. They have to demand good government and give those in power no alternative but to comply. Such a what happened last week is the only way. How do you get people to come together and agree. Well the answer is simple. Suffering. Mass suffering. The greatest builder of nationhood has always been conflict. The furnace of war has always been the crucible of development. In Nigeria we missed an opportunity in 1967-71 which led this bad position today. The corruption we see today started during the war. We need conflict to reset our nation. Now I'm not advocating war afterall there are bloodless revolutions but I believe for Nigerians to come together to fight corruption we need certain factors that touch us so badly that the price of corruption becomes to glaring to ignore. We simply reacted to the subsidy withdrawal because it threatened ALL Nigerian across all facets. It touched all pockets. If it didn't no one will bother. If someone perhaps government can make us pay for our corrupt ways we will stand up and do something about it.

The fuel subsidy crises was one I hoped will go on longer so that people become more aware and take necessary action but it ended prematurely not because people were essentially tired but because the corruption in us all, government, labour, private sector, public sector, man in Aso rock, man on the streets was being exposed. Corruption fought back and we sought a truce to keep it covered.  I said it then. We lost another opportunity. Everyone lost. The price is still not high enough for us to leave it. Till next time, next conflict.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Nobody: 12:37am On Jan 21, 2012
Easy peasy . . .end Nigeria and you end corruption in Nigeria
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Nobody: 12:57am On Jan 21, 2012
Bottom-up and top-down, fighting corruption can work from both ways.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by prodam(m): 7:42am On Jan 21, 2012
all4naija:

Bottom-up and top-down, fighting corruption can work from both ways

I CONCUR
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by fred2265: 1:45pm On Jan 21, 2012
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by solidxxxl: 11:31pm On Mar 31, 2013
ALGAMISH: The answer is Revolution
Revolution is all we need but who will do it ,our real problems is ethnic, we nigeria does not agreed on one decission,
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by olajide8(m): 6:10am On Apr 02, 2013
If you try and fight corruption from the bottom it would be termed a revolution, and bros head go roll soldiers would kill people for free, but if u fight from the top, it would be called the wind of change e.g during the fuel subsidy protest * a protest against corruption* soldiers were deployed to all the streets of major cities, but when Gen., buhari were in power it was called the war against indiscipline and was called the wind of change - so in my conclusion corruption is better fought from the top

1 Like

Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Seun(m): 12:52pm On Apr 08, 2013
Definitely top to bottom. The top is narrower so it's much easier to clean it. smiley

2 Likes

Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 08, 2013
Seun: Definitely top to bottom. The top is narrower so it's much easier to clean it. smiley
It can work both ways at the same time. I think that will yield quick positive result than start from the top to the bottom, which we know the great disadvantage in that is likely going to be of time constraint as the leaders are very hesitant in nature than the grassroots.
Re: How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? by ladychoice: 9:22pm On Apr 08, 2013
The only thing is to pray and fast dat God will kill all dese corrupt politicians. Y won't they just die? Why? By proper and strategic elimination of all d leadrs.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Have Received N6.314bn Second Tranche Of Paris Club Refunds : Osun Goverment / Yahaya Bello Signs N4 Billion Erosion Control Projects / Nigerians Await APC’s Promised Restructuring Five Years After

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.