Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,505 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Accra, Lagos Or Dakar - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Accra, Lagos Or Dakar (5165 Views)

Which Is More Beautiful? Lagos Or Abuja / Which City Is Better For Travelling, Dakar Or Douala? / Travel To Dakar, Senegal By Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by Roforofo(m): 12:27am On Jan 21, 2012
Ok fellow Nairalanders, I need advice. I want to take my 2 kids to West Africa to expose them positively to our culture as my wife is non-Nigerian. I just wanted to know which of these capitals you will recommend for relaxation, culture and sight seeing and of course safety. We are a family of four wishing to spend two weeks on this trip and our budget is £5000. Thanks. I am Nigerian but have no bias as to where I go. I just want my kids to see Black Africans living and doing positive things in our Homeland without any stereotypes.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by biolabee(m): 2:30am On Jan 21, 2012
lagos/accra
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by SirKay3(m): 5:42pm On Jan 21, 2012
@ Roforofo,

I'll recommend Accra for you/your family. I'm a Nigerian, living in Accra with my wife and children. Within your budget limit for the period of your stay, you'l get value for your money there, while not condemning Lagos, as it's in Naija. Lot of factors goes into this, like you mentioned, as most of the tourist sites in Ghana are not far from each other and coupled with the fact that there are lots of non Africans living, working and walking the streets of Accra freely.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by JeSoul(f): 6:31pm On Jan 21, 2012
^I agree.

I was recently in both Accra & Lagos and without hesitation recommend Ghana over Naija especially travelling with children. I've never been to Dakar. For "relaxation, culture and sight seeing and of course safety" as you put it, you will enjoy Ghana very much. Lagos has its merits but honestly is not my idea of a 'relaxing' place for a family trip though I guess it depends on which part you're staying - but then the nicer areas are usually ridiculously expensive. Hotels in Accra are also expensive, especially those in the heart of the city so you'll have to do some homework to find a decently priced & located one. Also be ready to deal with some traffic - though not nearly as bad as lagos in my opinion.

goodluck and have fun.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by SirKay3(m): 6:48pm On Jan 21, 2012
@ JeSoul,

Nice contribution. You are right with your traffic observation, like you've said, it's better managed than in Lagos. Most of the tourist sites like Akosombo Princess Dodi Cruise ship (trip to Dodi Island on the cruise boat for a return trip of 5hrs, with LIVE band/buffet served on board), Elmina Castle (where slave trade took place), Kakum National Park (where the canopy walk in the bush is) and Hans Cottage Botel (Live Corcs are seen here) to mention a few, are outside Accra, thus limiting time spent in traffic.

There are couple of nice hotels within Osu, East Legon and Spintex Road, that are still within the range of $60 - $80 per night, but within Tema metropolis, decent hotels there are not as expensive as in the heart of Accra.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by blackowl: 8:33pm On Jan 21, 2012
Sir Kay, you really know Accra.

However, I would take Dakar over Accra and Lagos. Dakar is simply beautifull. While Accra is neat and peaceful, Dakar is exotic and the kids will really be impressed. Another thing, Dakar is not more expensive than Accra, except that the problem of Language might arise if you dont speak french.

Have fun with the kids when you visit Africa!
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by JeSoul(f): 8:37pm On Jan 21, 2012
blackowl:

Sir Kay, you really know Accra.
Well he lives there lol, so he's the best person for the OP to get the inside scoop from.

However, I would take Dakar over Accra and Lagos. Dakar is simply beautifull. While Accra is neat and peaceful, Dakar is exotic and the kids will really be impressed. Another thing, Dakar is not more expensive than Accra, except that the problem of Language might arise if you dont speak french.

Have fun with the kids when you visit Africa!
Hmm . . . Didn't realize Dakar is nice. What is the safety like in the city? becos that is usually my first concern. And are there a lot of things/attractions for tourists? thanks!
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by JeSoul(f): 8:46pm On Jan 21, 2012
Sir Kay:

@ JeSoul,

Nice contribution. You are right with your traffic observation, like you've said, it's better managed than in Lagos. Most of the tourist sites like Akosombo Princess Dodi Cruise ship (trip to Dodi Island on the cruise boat for a return trip of 5hrs, with LIVE band/buffet served on board), Elmina Castle (where slave trade took place), Kakum National Park (where the canopy walk in the bush is) and Hans Cottage Botel (Live Corcs are seen here) to mention a few, are outside Accra, thus limiting time spent in traffic.

There are couple of nice hotels within Osu, East Legon and Spintex Road, that are still within the range of $60 - $80 per night, but within Tema metropolis, decent hotels there are not as expensive as in the heart of Accra.
Nice! Cool info. If the poster ends up choosing Ghana I'm sure you'll be a great resource for him and his family. I ended up spending much of my time outside of Accra seeing places like Elmina, the village on the water etc. While most took hours to get to honestly the roads were in excellent condition to my suprise. And even when leaving some of those places very late we still felt relatively safe on the roads.

You must be loving living in Ghana. Great country, welcoming people, charming culture, plenty of room to grow, but definitely headed in the right direction.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by moremi2008(m): 12:33am On Jan 22, 2012
Dakar has a better developed tourism industry but the tourist attractions (e.g. the national parks) are scattered across Senegal so you might have to do a bit travelling. The language barrier might prove a difficulty though (except you or your wife speak French/Wolof). I'll say stick to Accra!
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by SirKay3(m): 8:10am On Jan 22, 2012
@ blackowl,

I live in Accra with my family. I love travelling/going places, we have been to most of their tourist sites in and outside of Accra. I do drive around town just to know places on my own.

@ JeSoul,

Life in Accra is exactly what my family and I had been dreaming of, until the opportunity came for us to relocate from Lagos in 2009 and since then we are loving it here. The country has potentials to be great, though with its flaws too. Things are better managed here than Naija.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by Araboy(m): 9:42am On Jan 22, 2012
I know both Accra and Dakar very well the main difference Dakar is way cheaper I have never been to Nigeria so 

I wouldn't know much  about lagos 

Dakar has several attractions you have" l ile de goree " where you have "la maison des esclaves" slaves house

This centuries old house located few miles in the atlantic served as processing center to  african slaves shipped to

America  You also have  IFAN ( African art museum )  Sandaga Mall  Daniel Sorano Theater   Thiossane Club owned 

by Youssou Ndour the Grammy Award  Senegalese singer

Dakar has great night life and safe    Senegal is the oldest west african democracy  the only country of the region 

that never had military ruler or instability and one of the leading francophone african countries

Senegalese  cuisine  is great people are nice welcoming and tolerant

French and wolof are widely spoken but many Dakarois speak english as well so you shouldn't be worried about the

language barrier especially in the touristic areas

Feel free to ask if you have any questions
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by biolabee(m): 4:46pm On Jan 22, 2012
araboy

do you live in dakar and pls what nationality r u?
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by Araboy(m): 5:13pm On Jan 22, 2012
I don't live in Dakar but I visit the Senegalese capital few Times every year

I am very familiar with the Country and speak French and Wolof fluently 

As for nationality I am an Arabic French born with deep ties to Africa
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by omega25red(m): 5:44pm On Jan 22, 2012
poster

i would say Dakar. I am Nigerian and i have been to Dakar before and i had a really good time. Things are not as fast paced as it is in Nigeria and people still flaunt their traditional culture in that area. your kids would see traditional musical instruments and hear wonderful music and eat incredible foods. it's also very close to gambia which means you can see two countries for the price of one on your vacation. also cost of living and the money you would spend on food could be significatly less.
The only issue with dakar is the french thing. if you know french or can find an interpreter, you would have loads of fun
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by Roforofo(m): 7:21pm On Jan 22, 2012
Thank you to everyone who replied. I have decided based on the overwhelming responses on Accra to choose Accra. I am really grateful for your replies. Please can Sir Kay, Jesoul and any Accra experts please advise me on hotels. I have looked at Movenpick, Labadi, Fiesta Royale and Midindi Hotel. I am not sure if these are walking distance into Osu. The reason I want to be near Osu is so my wife and kids can have West African food daily. They are really looking forward to the food oooo and so am I. My main requirements for the hotel are safe, swimming pool for the kids, nightlife e.g a hotel highlife band to entertain guests at night (hopefully with the kids asleep in their prams) and if possible proximity to the beach. One close to Osu will be preferred. My maximum budget per night for the room will be £200/night. Thanks again for all your help.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by SirKay3(m): 7:43pm On Jan 22, 2012
@ Roforofo,

Labadi Beach, Midindi and Movenpick Hotels are not too far from Osu, just about 5mins drive. Fiesta Royale is around Dzorwulu and about 15mins. You are assured of security at the hotels, so, no cause for alarm. Your budget per night should be okay. Google the hotels, they have telephone numbers there, feel free to call them and sort your bookings out. Some of them do offer free airport pickup. I'ld have offered assistance by going there to check out their rates for you, but I'm not in Accra presently. You are free to mail me through kaadetunji@yahoo.com for any further assistance. All the best.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by Roforofo(m): 8:01pm On Jan 22, 2012
Sir Kay. Thank you so much for all your advice. Are there are any specific Ghanian/Nigerian restaurants in Accra you will recommend?
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by biolabee(m): 8:06pm On Jan 22, 2012
nice from you @araboy
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by SirKay3(m): 9:18pm On Jan 22, 2012
@ Roforofo,

Buka and House of Ovation are the most popular places that serves Naija/Ghanaian foods. Ask anybody at Total Petrol Station in Osu about them, they are a few metres away from there.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by Geminilove(f): 12:18am On Jan 23, 2012
go to all three places, if you shop around you can get cheap deals
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by Geminilove(f): 12:42am On Jan 23, 2012
Just had an idea, why do you not go to Banjul, Gambia you can go from UK for like £249 per person(includes flight and hotel) http://www.icelolly.com/search-results?partner_id=16&type=1&date%5Bday%5D=22&date%5Bmonth%5D=02&date%5Byear%5D=2012&flex=3&depapcs%5B0%5D=LHR&depapcs%5B1%5D=LGW&depapcs%5B2%5D=LCY&board=BB&destination=c%3AGM%7Ca%3ABJL

Then get car to Dakar, you can flight fly to Accra and Lagos also.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by Dyt(f): 10:43am On Jan 23, 2012
roforofo
u can contact me 4 ur cheap tickets
oitravels@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by JeSoul(f): 4:38pm On Jan 23, 2012
Nice info from everyone, things for me to keep in mind too for future africa vacations.
Roforofo, SirKay knows much more about the local hotels, I was just a tourist while he lives there so his info is sound. Have fun on your vacation, its great you're exposing your children to different cultures/countries, I think that is one of the most vital things you can do for a child - to travel & open their minds & expand their horizons.

Sir Kay:

@ JeSoul,

Life in Accra is exactly what my family and I had been dreaming of, until the opportunity came for us to relocate from Lagos in 2009 and since then we are loving it here. The country has potentials to be great, though with its flaws too. Things are better managed here than Naija.
Just curious, how did/do you manage with the language difference? or where you stay is more english than ga/twi? thanks!
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by SirKay3(m): 5:02pm On Jan 23, 2012
@ JeSoul,

Language difference is no big deal to me, as I'm the inquisitive type and already learning the most common of them, Twi. We live in an estate setup(they call theirs community this or that), whereby you are alone in your gated/walled compound and interact with people in your lane, either when there is a general meeting or lane/community party for families or sometimes when you are driving out of your compound. Mixing with people is a bit hard here, as though you are all neoghbours and know each other, you hardly interact.

Our kids were the major factor that's driven me in learning Twi, as three of them understands it to some extent, about 40%. Ghana languages are a combined subject which is compulsory for students in primary and secondary schools in Ghana. We watch Twi movies a lot, while we also have a learn Twi easily book at home. The ones I dont understand, are always explained/pronounced to me better by my pastor who is also helping me to learn it. I could pick little in their conversations now. Infact, I've got lots of Ghana gospel music on my phone/laptop that I listen to regularly whenever I'm not in Ghana, just to keep in tune with the language.

Whenever I go out, I say the little I hear, while making the people realise that I'm a NIgerian and still learning. I always encourage them to speak to me in Twi and ask for meaning of the words/sentences they say. They are friendly people I'l say and we are not regretting our living here.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by JeSoul(f): 10:35pm On Jan 23, 2012
Sir Kay:

@ JeSoul,

Language difference is no big deal to me, as I'm the inquisitive type and already learning the most common of them, Twi. We live in an estate setup(they call theirs community this or that), whereby you are alone in your gated/walled compound and interact with people in your lane, either when there is a general meeting or lane/community party for families or sometimes when you are driving out of your compound. Mixing with people is a bit hard here, as though you are all neoghbours and know each other, you hardly interact.

Our kids were the major factor that's driven me in learning Twi, as three of them understands it to some extent, about 40%. Ghana languages are a combined subject which is compulsory for students in primary and secondary schools in Ghana. We watch Twi movies a lot, while we also have a learn Twi easily book at home. The ones I dont understand, are always explained/pronounced to me better by my pastor who is also helping me to learn it. I could pick little in their conversations now. Infact, I've got lots of Ghana gospel music on my phone/laptop that I listen to regularly whenever I'm not in Ghana, just to keep in tune with the language.

Whenever I go out, I say the little I hear, while making the people realise that I'm a NIgerian and still learning. I always encourage them to speak to me in Twi and ask for meaning of the words/sentences they say. They are friendly people I'l say and we are not regretting our living here.
Awesome thanks! I'm keeping an open mind/eye for the future and saw the language as the only possible barrier. Your story is encouraging. Thanks!
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by SirKay3(m): 6:19am On Jan 24, 2012
@ JeSoul,

It's a nice place to live. Feel free to mail me whenever you need information or assistance about relocating here. kaadetunji@yahoo.com.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by JeSoul(f): 3:51pm On Jan 24, 2012
^thanks Sir Kay that is very nice of you. I've saved your contact and will definitely be in touch. Thanks again! smiley
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by dasparrow: 9:33pm On Jan 24, 2012
Sir Kay:

@ JeSoul,

It's a nice place to live. Feel free to mail me whenever you need information or assistance about relocating here. kaadetunji@yahoo.com.

Sir Kay,

I will kindly love some info about Ghana too please. I read a thread here on nairaland where some Nigerians who had lived in Ghana mentioned that Ghanians don't like Nigerians and are hostile towards us. I do not know how true that is. You are one of the few Nigerians on this forum that has spoken well about the place and her people. I don't live in Nigeria, I left the country right after boarding (high) school. I really would like to move back to Africa someday in the very near future and give back but with the way things are in Nigeria at the moment, I am not sure I want to move back there but I want to raise my kids on African soil. So, I was thinking maybe Ghana or some other english speaking African country. What do you think sir?
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by SirKay3(m): 5:28am On Jan 25, 2012
@ dasparrow,

You are free to mail me for more information.
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by eghost247(m): 7:07am On Jan 25, 2012
go to all three places or pick two and Lagos should be one of them
Re: Accra, Lagos Or Dakar by dasparrow: 2:13pm On Jan 25, 2012
Sir Kay:

@ dasparrow,

You are free to mail me for more information.

Thank you Sir. I appreciate it. I certainly will once I am ready.

(1) (Reply)

Filling The Uk Visa Application Form Need Urgent Assistant / How Can I Send A Package From Nigeria To US. / Ask Me Any Airline Ticket Fare To Any Part Of The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.