Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Kabiru Sokoto’s Escape: ‘i’m Not Culpable’ Says IGP Ringim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kabiru Sokoto’s Escape: ‘i’m Not Culpable’ Says IGP Ringim (807 Views)

Biafra: Igbos Want To Reconolize South-South-waziri Ringim / Home Of Former IGP, Hafiz-Ringim Bombed / Hafiz Ringim Seeks Asylum In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kabiru Sokoto’s Escape: ‘i’m Not Culpable’ Says IGP Ringim by reagand200(m): 12:41am On Jan 22, 2012
From Ahamefula Ogbu and Yemi Akinsuyi in Abuja

T  he Inspector-General of Police Hafiz Ringim has absolved himself of complicity in the escape from police custody of the alleged mastermind of the Christmas Day bomb blast at St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, Madalla, Kabiru Umar a.k.a Kabiru Sokoto.

In his response to the query issued him in respect of the escape, Ringim said he was not involved and had no connections with Kabiru Sokoto in any way.

He said he was as embarrassed as President Goodluck Jonathan over the escape.

Youth in Kabiru Sokoto’s neighbourhood in Abaji were said to have engaged policemen as he was  being taken to his house by the police for a search. He allegedly escaped in the process.

But THISDAY has learnt that not a single shot  was fired by the alleged gang members in the process.

Meanwhile, the Ona of Abaji, Adamu Yunusa, and his two sons have been arrested by the police over  Kabir Sokoto’s escape.

The men were picked up on Friday following reports that the policemen who took the Boko Haram kingpin to the  palace were ambushed and overwhelmed, an indication that the traditional ruler may have been involved in the plan.

Also, the  Commissioner of Police in charge of Criminal Investigation Department, Zone 7, Abuja, Zakari Biu who was blamed for negligence over the escape has been placed under house arrest.

The CP had been suspended over the incident and his team comprising five policemen placed under arrest for allowing the suspect to escape on Monday.

"Biu was being punished for lack of effective supervision of the suspect which led to his escape, but detectives have intensified a search for Sokoto and I’m sure he would be caught very soon," a source said.

THISDAY gathered that under police regulations, Biu was ‘vicariously liable’ for not effectively supervising the handling of the suspect, leading to his escape.

Findings indicated that the CP who was promoted last December, was a course-mate to the Inspector-General of Police, Hafiz Ringim and a part of the Special Investigation Panel that interrogated former president Olusegun Obasanjo over alleged coup plotting during the Abacha regime.

It was gathered that Sokoto’s wife and son had been picked up by detectives probing the incident, but the Force Public Relations Officer, Olusola Amore said he was yet to be briefed about the development.

It also emerged yesterday that the National Security Adviser, General Owoye Azazi (rtd), has set up an investigative panel to determine the culpability or otherwise of the police personnel in the escape.

Responding to questions from State House Corresp-ondents yesterday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, the Minister of Police Affairs, Mr. Caleb Olubolade, said Ringim had answered the query issued him on the matter while his response was being studied for necessary action.

"Like I did say the other time, I have given some directives. The inspector-general of police has responded. A committee has been set up above the police, which takes into cognisance experts in various aspects to come together and conduct another investigation, so that is been assembled and they have been set to work. I think this is how far we have gone," he stated.

Olubolade said he was satisfied with the IG's response, but said the plausibility of his explanations would be determined by an investigative panel, adding that since he was not a member of the panel handling the matter, they should be made to do their job without interference.

"I have to tell Nigerians that because an investigation panel has been set up, Nigerians should be patient and allow them do their job very briefly. A time line has been given to them and at the end of that something will come out, so we should not preempt.

"There are senior officers, military officers are there, officers from the ministry are also there and other agents are there so it is a combined one. I think they will complete it within a week," he said.

attacked,

• Nigeria Police Zone 1 Hqrts BUK Road,
• Zaria Road Police Station
• Farm Center Police Station, Farm Centre
• Passport Office at Farm Centre
•SSS Hqrts at Gigiyu
• Immigration Hqrts,
Bompai Road.
• AIG Zone 1 Residence, Bompai Road
• Police State Command Hqrts, Bompai Road.

Tags: Featured, News, Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Oil Subsidy: What Jonathan Knew About The N1.76trillion Payment? / Boko Haram Spokesperson Not Arrested / State Of Imo Address

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.