Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,849 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President (22081 Views)

Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) / Message From ASUU President / Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by megawax8: 12:48pm On Jan 22, 2012
Why ASUU Won’t Call Off Strike – ASUU President

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has said it is not going to suspend its ongoing strike as speculated by government, unless its demands are met.

The Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufai, after a meeting with the various university vice-chancellors in Abuja  told reporters that ASUU would call off its three-month strike on Monday, following the cooperation and assurances she got from the university dons .

But ASUU President, Prof Ukachuchwu  Awuzie  yesterday, in a telephone interview with  LEADERSHIP SUNDAY  noted that, ASUU was not a member of the Association of Vice Chancellors, and as such, could not call off the action until government implemented its agreements with ASUU. He stressed that the lecturers’ body, would not abide by the Association’s call to end the strike.

“It’s all government’s propaganda! ASUU won’t call off its strike so long as government shies away from the issue of effective funding of the universities”, Awuzie said.

The union leader who however expressed the union’s appreciation to the Senate for its efforts, especially in passing the bill for the extension of the retirement age of lectures from 65 to 70, but which is awaiting the president’s assent to become a law, said, “The year of retirement is just one of our demands, the funding is the cardinal,” he stressed.

On a positive note, Awuzie said, “Mr. President has scheduled a meeting with ASUU on Monday, If government accepts to implement our demand, that is when we will think of calling off the strike.

“Even at that, the National Executive Committee of ASUU will have to meet and have series of meetings to agree on when to call off the strike.

“However, with the intervention of Mr. President, I believe the solution will come faster than expected”  Awuzie  stated .

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/14064/2012/01/22/why_asuu_won%E2%80%99t_call_strike_%E2%80%93_asuu_president.html
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by kokoA(m): 12:53pm On Jan 22, 2012
na wah o, Let them allow these kids to go back to school nau
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by ehigweventures(m): 1:01pm On Jan 22, 2012
I thought the said federal goverment has meet all their demands
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by megawax8: 1:06pm On Jan 22, 2012
@ehigwe dats wat d government sed,bt d trut is hav dey?, i sure cnt trust anitin dis government sayz no more
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by otokx(m): 1:39pm On Jan 22, 2012
Lets just be patient till after their meeting with Mr. President.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 22, 2012
Continue the strike jor
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by stagger: 2:00pm On Jan 22, 2012
I think everyone knows that GEJ's government is not a people-friendly government. They flout laws, flout agreements they sign, say one thing and do another.

The fuel subsidy matter proves it. Too bad!
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by RICHIEBOI1(m): 2:02pm On Jan 22, 2012
i thought they said they were going to call off  the strike by monday. this ASUU/govt are toying with peoples future. its really sad.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by Cogent: 2:06pm On Jan 22, 2012
So they are expecting GEJ to listen to them?
When he didn't put subsidy back after both protests and strike?
When he didn't fire Ringim after Sokoto 'escaped' from the police?

Una go wait for am tire.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by silibaba: 2:09pm On Jan 22, 2012
what a wicked generation angry angry
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by Mynd44: 2:11pm On Jan 22, 2012
We don't have a president
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by eghost247(m): 2:20pm On Jan 22, 2012
hmm God go help our educational sector for Nigeria
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by lifestyle1(m): 2:22pm On Jan 22, 2012
What are your demands ?  undecided
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by oc2fish: 2:24pm On Jan 22, 2012
Today's  strike  will help tomorrow education. please bear with  Assu  quality education is important for development. It is time Nigerian  University produce man power that can manage our industries . Production of employable youth takes time and cost money.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by HisMajesty1(m): 2:27pm On Jan 22, 2012
Eyaah! And sum of ma peepz were  already celebratin on BBM yesternyte dat da strike wuld be ova 2moro.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by dlcui: 2:38pm On Jan 22, 2012
APPLICATION FOR 2012 ADMISSION INTO THE UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN DISTANCE LEARNING CENTRE DEGREE

PROGRAMME.

following Undergraduate (100 and 200 Levels) Degree Programmes in the Distance Learning

Centre, University of Ibadan for the 2011/2012 Academic Session.
Please check http://dlc.ui.edu.ng/admissions for details
or call 08077593562 / 08077593538.
EMAIL: admissions@dlc.ui.edu.ng
HELP LINES AND E-MAIL ADDRESSES
08077593532 (TOYIN)
08077593551 (TITI)
08077593552 (TITILAYO)
08077593553 (ABIKE)
08077593554 (KIKE)
08077593544 (BUKOLA)
ssu@dlc.ui.edu.ng
pao@dlc.ui.edu.ng
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by freecocoa(f): 2:42pm On Jan 22, 2012
Na wa o,I've even packed my bags to go back to school,these people are just wucked,na to just go marry,I don tire to siddon for house. undecided
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by Haywire99(m): 2:46pm On Jan 22, 2012
Oh my God,i'm fed up
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 22, 2012
Hope ASUU will not go back on their words like NLC did. ASUU, pls Occupy Aso Rock!
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by jiz: 3:00pm On Jan 22, 2012
Yeh! And i just left house 4 school oooo hopin we are resumi 2morow!
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by Theharbinger1: 3:13pm On Jan 22, 2012
oc2fish:

Today's  strike  will help tomorrow education. please bear with  Assu  quality education is important for development. It is time Nigerian  University produce man power that can manage our industries . Production of employable youth takes time and cost money.    
I agree wit u oc2fish,reorganizatn of d educational sector is nt only going t take time bt money as well,like m dat am studyn a 6year course i cant afford dis frequent stryk.bt dnt b suprisd if by 2morw d stryk is calld of, dats nigerian govt 4 u bt am optimistic dat gud tins wuld come if w wait.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jan 22, 2012
ASUU pls suspend the strike and return to the negotiation table.
Its the future of nigerian student that is astake.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by begwong: 3:16pm On Jan 22, 2012
freecocoa:

Na wa o,I've even packed my bags to go back to school,these people are just wucked,na to just go marry,I don tire to siddon for house. undecided
Can u be my 6th wife biko!
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by dabrake(m): 3:18pm On Jan 22, 2012
ASUU have no case. They should go and rot in hell. It's only going to affect me and over 40million students in the long run as it's going to prolong our days in the uni. For now, aint gonna affect me. I'm on I.T.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by Wislet(f): 3:26pm On Jan 22, 2012
freecocoa:

unpack and go find work joor tongue grin
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by moHot(f): 3:29pm On Jan 22, 2012
i just don't know what the problem is with ASUU and FG, GOD! i mean what's so mountainous about this two that they always fall out of agreement i mean why can't the FG just give ASUU what they are demanding for? i mean , the more i think about it the more confused i get , ain't we talking bout education here oga o angry
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by FEMARY1: 3:32pm On Jan 22, 2012
3 Months strike!!!!!!!! may God save the country.

Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by Acidosis(m): 3:48pm On Jan 22, 2012
oc2fish:

Today's  strike  will help tomorrow education. please bear with  Assu  qualityy education is important for development. It is time Nigerian  University produce man power that can manage our industries . Production of employable youth takes time and cost money.    
you better stop deceiving yourself. ASUU or whatever they call themselves are fighting for their own pocket and bank accounts so they can send their wards to the u.k universities and other school abroad. Do you think they are figthing to get your library upgraded? or to put equipments in your library or research facilities in the institutes? ASUU is not better than the federal goverment.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 3:51pm On Jan 22, 2012
O o o, am already day dreaming of school, please mr president answer us o,
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by freecocoa(f): 4:03pm On Jan 22, 2012
Wislet:

unpack and go find work joor tongue grin
My sister people wey get cerfiricate no never get work na me go come get? Abi you expect me to go do sales girl wey dem go pay me 3000 naira wey no fit buy body cream sef,abeg I wan marry. cheesy undecided

begwong:

Can u be my 6th wife biko!
How much are you worth and are you old?
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by igchuka(m): 4:07pm On Jan 22, 2012
am not a fan and can never be a fan of ASUU. hiding under deceit for personal gains. if i was gej, i wont assent to that bill. kudos to unilorin and unizik for not going on strike.
Re: We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President by DonaldsN(m): 4:08pm On Jan 22, 2012
Wetin really be d demand of ASUU dat govt can't give dem once and 4all? I don't know to think again. Guess its high time i got married started my own family. Na Time dey go so. @Freecocoa, like seriously? Oya na lets get d ball rolling

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

90-Year-Old Grandma Begins Primary School In Kenya (Photos) / 200L UNIUYO Student Dies And Buried At 20 (Photos) / Mixing ‘Runs’ With Academics; A Sad Tale Of Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.