Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: (8475 Views)

Osinbajo At A Town Hall Meeting In Lagos / OBJ Questions For GEJ Witnessed By Pst Adeboye And Bishop Oyedepo / Facts You Must Know By Pst Tunde Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by ceah(m): 8:51pm On Jan 23, 2012
PROTOCOLS

"If there be any truer measure of a man than by what he does, it must be by what he gives." 
"Man’s capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man’s inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." 

It was David, the shepherd boy who became a king, that penned the immortal words that best describe my feelings since the military occupation of Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Park, where millions of Nigerians from all walks of life gathered together in a civil protest against a tyrannical and punitive policy of President Jonathan’s government. These words were not penned in a hurry; they were penned during the period a young patriot and his companions were running away from the injustice of an insane king. David, the son of Jesse, said: 

“Woe is me, that I dwell in Meshech, That I dwell among the tents of Kedar. My soul has dwelt too long with one who hates peace. I am for peace; But when I speak, they are for war.” (Psalm 120:5-7) 

As it turned out, there was a regime change in David’s domain, and in favour of seemingly rag-tag soldiers at the beginning of the impasse; such a phenomenal turn around that makes the words of Robert Ingersol true and applicable: 

"I am the inferior of any man whose rights I trample underfoot. Men are not superior by reason of the accidents of race or colour [and, if I may add – by reason of office, status, stature, or transient power]. Rather, they are superior who have the best heart, - and the best brain. The superior man stands erect by bending over the fallen. He rises by lifting others."

As part of SNG's efforts towards de-freezing social mobility and unblocking the minds of our people, my humble contribution to this town hall meeting is titled: “Understanding How Power Works"

1. Power  is first an idea, or, if you like, a perception. The power I face is the power I perceive. Someone else’s power over you is your perception of their power. Their power is your thought. The source of their power is in your mind. Jesus of Nazareth – a Man attested by God to Israel – responded to Pilate, the Governor General of Rome in Israel – after he spoke these words:“Then Pilate said to Him [Jesus] Are you not speaking to me? Do you not know that I have power to crucify you or power to release you? Jesus Answered, You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given to you from above. Therefore, the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.” (John 19:10 & 11)So, you see, the power you face is the power you perceive.

2.  The power others possess over you and I is the power we give them. Their power is our gift. Therefore, if I have endowed people with powers they do not possess, then I face my power, do I not? My own power has become my opponent; my enemy.

Under S.14 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution, it is stated that "power shall reside in the people from whom government shall derive its authorities and power”. The same Constitution also spells out that “the welfare and security of Nigerians shall be the primary purpose of government."

So what do we now make of the arbitrary use of that power by the government against the citizens who gave that     power to the government in the first place? It is simply the abuse of power.Fellow Nigerians, the power we deliver to a power entity is akin to depositing our money at a bank. Before we open an account, the bank has no power over us or our money. The bank derives its power only after we deposit our money.Therefore, you find that:

i) Your money is subject to the bank’s rules;
ii) Your bank can use your money as it chooses;
iii) It can co-mingle your money with other people’s money;
iv) It can lend your money and earn interest on it;
v) You can only take your money back if you follow certain procedures established by the bank;
vi) You can only enter the bank when it chooses and where it chooses;
vii) You must stand in line with others who have also given their money to the bank;
viii) If you attempt to withdraw more than your deposit without prior approval of overdraft facilities by the bank, you could face penalties, in spite of the bank’s profit from your money lent to others with interest;
ix) After you put your money in the bank, you become a mere account number alongside other account numbers;
x) If, due to mismanagement, the bank goes under, your money, without your consent, goes down with the bank.  How much you are able to recover from your deposit is subject to the decision of the regulating bodies.

Fellow Nigerians, your bank deposit is like your vote, which is an acronym at the SNG for “Voice Of The Electorate” – V.O.T.E.  Without we who bestow power on those in authority, those with power are powerless. If you are tired of any power entity – your bank, for example – you can withdraw your money before it is too late. In like manner, you can raise your voice against the abuse of power given by you to any power entity for the purpose of your welfare and security. Ladies and gentlemen, it’s all in your hands.

Since the Ojota Freedom Park Rally, a new wind has been blowing across the Nigerian political landscape. It is the will of the people against the power of incumbency. Without a shadow of doubt, a new dawn of People’s Power is  here. And, irrespective of how the fuel subsidy issue is concluded, Nigeria cannot be the same. Nigerians have  discovered themselves this year. We must use our new-found strength:

i) To re-negotiate our union. The time is ripe for a people-oriented constitution;
ii) The system of governance must be restructured so that the rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities of the federating units are clearly spelled out;
iii)  We must initiate the process of just remuneration of Nigerians and their public servants in all the arms  of government;
iv) The prosecution of corrupt officials and their cronies in the corporate world must be on the front  burner. In addition to ensuring that those found guilty are fully penalised for criminal enrichment, according to the law, we must equally demand just restitution.

Let me conclude this afternoon by drawing your attention and that of the government to what I call the three (3) rapid destroyers of any society, namely:
a)      Ethnicity
b)      Religious Bigotry, and
c)      Economic Deprivation

We must rise as a people to quench these negative fires and prevent them from spreading further. If we don’t, a conflagration is at hand, the end-product of which may be national disintegration, instead of the much-touted transformation.

For us to transform this nation, leadership must disembark the arrogant horse of brutality and embrace civility. Power can only be exercised in the service of that which is ostensibly good. Power is like gasoline. Spread aimlessly over the landscape, it can result in an inferno, causing untold harm. Correctly contained, it can cook our meals or transport us and our goods from place to place. [/b]As Plato said, “Access to power must be confined to those who are not in love with it”. [b]Nigeria will be a better nation when the power of love replaces the love of power.

Thank you for listening. God bless you all, and may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

PASTOR ‘TUNDE BAKARE

Professor Wole Soyinka, Femi Kuti, Dede Mabiakwu and Many more were there,
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by ceah(m): 8:59pm On Jan 23, 2012
I Love this part : ‎'Nigeria will be a better nation when the power of love replaces the love of power'
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Acidosis(m): 9:00pm On Jan 23, 2012
Pastor Bakare, what is this?
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by ceah(m): 9:59pm On Jan 23, 2012
@Acidosis,

A Great Piece, wink
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by chidozman(m): 10:46pm On Jan 23, 2012
‘Power is first an idea, or, if you like it, a perception’ – Tunde Bakare.

It is a pity that the PDP led federal government, as ‘captained’ by emperor GEJ does not know what to do with power. The fact is that GEJ was never prepared to be a president. Smh!
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by ceah(m): 7:23am On Jan 24, 2012
chidozman:

‘Power is first an idea, or, if you like it, a perception’ – Tunde Bakare.

It is a pity that the PDP led federal government, as ‘captained’ by emperor GEJ does not know what to do with power. The fact is that GEJ was never prepared to be a president. Smh!

Dont blame GEJ, you said he never wanted to be President,
You cant expect a zoologist to threat human better than animal, wink
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by paulipopo(m): 10:10am On Jan 24, 2012
^^ irresponsible comment from u, it really pays to be civil. You are free to air ur views but decency while doing so is good for everyone.
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by babaowo: 10:12am On Jan 24, 2012
And when the power of greed overcome majority of naija leader nko?
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by honeric01(m): 10:38am On Jan 24, 2012
paulipopo:

^^ irresponsible comment from u, it really pays to be civil. You are free to air ur views but decency while doing so is good for everyone.

And what's irresponsible about his comment? were you not in Nigeria when your president said "it was our turn to live in a terrorized nation because it happens elsewhere"?
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Esiere: 10:45am On Jan 24, 2012
great piece
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by WinkWrld: 10:55am On Jan 24, 2012
A MUST SEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4Qq-0ddFE&t=11s

KINDLY TXT 525 TO 33680 AFTER VIEWING. THX
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by mbaemeka(m): 10:55am On Jan 24, 2012
Wonderful piece indeed. I'm particularly fund of the "love of power/ power of love" line.
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Kolababa: 11:11am On Jan 24, 2012
One thing about human being is that if you have a prejudice mind against somebody, you will never see anything sensible in what he does. But if you put that hatred behind you, then you appreciate him. That is why Nigerians only appreciate a person when he is dead. Look at Gani, because of his passion for Nigeria, pple used to call him noise maker activist lawyer but now he is no more everybody including those in power that never like him are now pouring praises on his dead soul.
Where am I going?
I once hated Buhari since he staged a coup of 1983 until 2005 when I went to serve in Katsina. During my service year, I had about five one to one interaction with Buhari. Apart from the fact that this man is very accesible, he has a great passion for Nigerians. He even regretted his coup of 1983 but he said was necessary because of indiscipline and corruption of politicians then.

For Bakare, I got to know him better when Buhari picked him as his running mate. Apart from being a Pastor, activism flows in him. He is even more passionate about average Nigerians than Any pastor in Nigeria. I know the secrets of many pastors in Bishops in Nigeria. Even I have some evidence here with me on how some big pastors and imams collect from the security votes of some governors and other politicians in Nigeria. That is why they cannot advise or critisice them when they are stealing money or imposing hardship on the people. They always hide under "let us pray for them".
But this Bakare man has zero tolerance for corruption. He had once challenged one renown Pastor in Nigeria with about 3 jets then on why he collected 150 million naira from Turai Yar Adua during the Yar Adua sickness. This was the same pastor directing his followers to vote for Jonathan in 2011 or quit his church. This was the same Pastor romancing the Yar Adua's kitchen cabal against this same Jonathan o.
Bakare's stance against corruption is the main reason some of those men of God are critising him not on spiritual ground.
This is what i can say about Bakare. I am not his fan, i am not a member of SNG neither do i go to his church but i am an ordinary Nigerian that want a corruption free Nigeria and i want a better living and security for everybody
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by PeeDaVinci: 11:30am On Jan 24, 2012
although, i dont agree with his actions sometimes, i cant hate him, only a few pple have his kind of love and passion for this country
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Rhino5dm: 11:42am On Jan 24, 2012
This is how men of integrity should be talking. I'll never regret my supports for the passionate BB.

Sir, we shall need your service when the dust settles in Odua Republic. cool
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by onyengbu: 12:02pm On Jan 24, 2012
Rhino.5dm:

This is how men of integrity should be talking. I'll never regret my supports for the passionate BB.

Sir, we shall need your service when the dust settles in Odua Republic. cool
Thank God you know he cant go further than that.
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by ilogbe(m): 12:10pm On Jan 24, 2012
Tunde Bakare on point as alwyz, pls follow me on twitter @gabriel_isei, I will follow back
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Carlmax(m): 12:11pm On Jan 24, 2012
Inspiring!!!
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 24, 2012
when last did any Nigerian leader (Be it governor or president) gave a speech close to this, ?
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by KINGwax(m): 12:18pm On Jan 24, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

Thank God you know he cant go further than that.
of course he can't in a nation where bigotry eats people's brains like yours!
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by kokoA(m): 12:22pm On Jan 24, 2012
Tunde my man any time any day.! He is an example of a real passionate nigerian.
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by sleekman(m): 12:35pm On Jan 24, 2012
“Woe is me, that I dwell in Meshech, That I dwell among the tents of Kedar. My soul has dwelt too long with one who hates peace. I am for peace; But when I speak, they are for war.” (Psalm 120:5-7)
Hmmm Pastor does know how to draw inspiration. I admire his courage. May he continue to be guided by God. All the traps, snares and fangs of the enemy shall not come near him. As he fights to uplift the common man so the good Lord shall uplift him in times of despair. Make no mistake pastor, they'll be coming after you with all canons blazing but hold steadfast to your God & he'll do exploits. Nigeria shall be great.
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Ournaija: 1:10pm On Jan 24, 2012
I`ve always been in love with PTB. I dont miss his messages on Channels TV every Sunday. Shame on those thieving Pastors and Imams who has no conscience.
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Toks2008(m): 1:17pm On Jan 24, 2012
I will be glad if we can have Buba Marwa an Bakare for president and vice respectively come 2015
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by kizito96(m): 1:53pm On Jan 24, 2012
I have said Tunde Bakara should wait for 2015
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by executinal(m): 2:18pm On Jan 24, 2012
ceah:

PROTOCOLS

"If there be any truer measure of a man than by what he does, it must be by what he gives." 
"Man’s capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man’s inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." 

It was David, the shepherd boy who became a king, that penned the immortal words that best describe my feelings since the military occupation of Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Park, where millions of Nigerians from all walks of life gathered together in a civil protest against a tyrannical and punitive policy of President Jonathan’s government. These words were not penned in a hurry; they were penned during the period a young patriot and his companions were running away from the injustice of an insane king. David, the son of Jesse, said: 

As it turned out, there was a regime change in David’s domain, and in favour of seemingly rag-tag soldiers at the beginning of the impasse; such a phenomenal turn around that makes the words of Robert Ingersol true and applicable: 

"I am the inferior of any man whose rights I trample underfoot. Men are not superior by reason of the accidents of race or colour [and, if I may add – by reason of office, status, stature, or transient power]. Rather, they are superior who have the best heart, - and the best brain. The superior man stands erect by bending over the fallen. He rises by lifting others."

As part of SNG's efforts towards de-freezing social mobility and unblocking the minds of our people, my humble contribution to this town hall meeting is titled: “Understanding How Power Works"

1. Power  is first an idea, or, if you like, a perception. The power I face is the power I perceive. Someone else’s power over you is your perception of their power. Their power is your thought. The source of their power is in your mind. Jesus of Nazareth – a Man attested by God to Israel – responded to Pilate, the Governor General of Rome in Israel – after he spoke these words:“Then Pilate said to Him [Jesus] Are you not speaking to me? Do you not know that I have power to crucify you or power to release you? Jesus Answered, You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given to you from above. Therefore, the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.” (John 19:10 & 11)So, you see, the power you face is the power you perceive.

2.  The power others possess over you and I is the power we give them. Their power is our gift. Therefore, if I have endowed people with powers they do not possess, then I face my power, do I not? My own power has become my opponent; my enemy.

Under S.14 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution, it is stated that "power shall reside in the people from whom government shall derive its authorities and power”. The same Constitution also spells out that “the welfare and security of Nigerians shall be the primary purpose of government."

So what do we now make of the arbitrary use of that power by the government against the citizens who gave that     power to the government in the first place? It is simply the abuse of power.Fellow Nigerians, the power we deliver to a power entity is akin to depositing our money at a bank. Before we open an account, the bank has no power over us or our money. The bank derives its power only after we deposit our money.Therefore, you find that:

i) Your money is subject to the bank’s rules;
ii) Your bank can use your money as it chooses;
iii) It can co-mingle your money with other people’s money;
iv) It can lend your money and earn interest on it;
v) You can only take your money back if you follow certain procedures established by the bank;
vi) You can only enter the bank when it chooses and where it chooses;
vii) You must stand in line with others who have also given their money to the bank;
viii) If you attempt to withdraw more than your deposit without prior approval of overdraft facilities by the bank, you could face penalties, in spite of the bank’s profit from your money lent to others with interest;
ix) After you put your money in the bank, you become a mere account number alongside other account numbers;
x) If, due to mismanagement, the bank goes under, your money, without your consent, goes down with the bank.  How much you are able to recover from your deposit is subject to the decision of the regulating bodies.

Fellow Nigerians, your bank deposit is like your vote, which is an acronym at the SNG for “Voice Of The Electorate” – V.O.T.E.  Without we who bestow power on those in authority, those with power are powerless. If you are tired of any power entity – your bank, for example – you can withdraw your money before it is too late. In like manner, you can raise your voice against the abuse of power given by you to any power entity for the purpose of your welfare and security. Ladies and gentlemen, it’s all in your hands.

Since the Ojota Freedom Park Rally, a new wind has been blowing across the Nigerian political landscape. It is the will of the people against the power of incumbency. Without a shadow of doubt, a new dawn of People’s Power is  here. And, irrespective of how the fuel subsidy issue is concluded, Nigeria cannot be the same. Nigerians have  discovered themselves this year. We must use our new-found strength:

i) To re-negotiate our union. The time is ripe for a people-oriented constitution;
ii) The system of governance must be restructured so that the rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities of the federating units are clearly spelled out;
iii)  We must initiate the process of just remuneration of Nigerians and their public servants in all the arms  of government;
iv) The prosecution of corrupt officials and their cronies in the corporate world must be on the front  burner. In addition to ensuring that those found guilty are fully penalised for criminal enrichment, according to the law, we must equally demand just restitution.

Let me conclude this afternoon by drawing your attention and that of the government to what I call the three (3) rapid destroyers of any society, namely:
a)      Ethnicity
b)      Religious Bigotry, and
c)      Economic Deprivation

We must rise as a people to quench these negative fires and prevent them from spreading further. If we don’t, a conflagration is at hand, the end-product of which may be national disintegration, instead of the much-touted transformation.

[b]For us to transform this nation, leadership must disembark the arrogant horse of brutality and embrace civility. Power can only be exercised in the service of that which is ostensibly good. Power is like gasoline. Spread aimlessly over the landscape, it can result in an inferno, causing untold harm. Correctly contained, it can cook our meals or transport us and our goods from place to place. [/b]As Plato said, “Access to power must be confined to those who are not in love with it”. Nigeria will be a better nation when the power of love replaces the love of power.

Thank you for listening. God bless you all, and may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

PASTOR ‘TUNDE BAKARE

Professor Wole Soyinka, Femi Kuti, Dede Mabiakwu and Many more were there,
Thesame people, talk is cheap. CAMPAIN IN PROGRESS, Prophet turn POLITICIAN overnight.
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by waxrider: 2:51pm On Jan 24, 2012
Thesame people, talk is cheap. CAMPAIN IN PROGRESS, Prophet turn POLITICIAN overnight.

There is nothing bad in a pastor becoming a politician. The bible is not against it. Before, it was church leaders that head governemnts. See history of rome, bishops and the pope.

And by the way, the guy is speaking the truth, abd u know it.
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by udokpuenyi(m): 2:53pm On Jan 24, 2012
Out of the abundant thoughts of the heart, the mouth speak.

PTB, God will surely prove your critics wrong soonest.
Two social fevers that hold the citizens of this country down are fear and docility. Unfortunately freedom is fought and and won by few to be enjoyed by all

It might be 12pm for Nigeria before 2015

Thank you all
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by ceah(m): 3:17pm On Jan 24, 2012
honeric01:

And what's irresponsible about his comment? were you not in Nigeria when your president said "it was our turn to live in a terrorized nation because it happens elsewhere"?

Thanks bro, i know you always got my back on NL, you are one of The few i respect here. Let those that Live in lies Continue, with or without them we will have a great Nigeria,

They can perish if they dont want a great country, we will have The country of our dream without them, grin
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Baawaa(m): 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2012

From this your statement,you are a thief; politician!!
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 24, 2012
A candid message to nigerians from a passionte and brilliant mind!

If only the masses understand how to use its "power" to put an end to corruption, demand for accountability, equity e.t.c from government the better it would have been for everyone.

But its ironic and unfortunate that nigeria is under siege from its own people in high places and corridors of "power"!
Re: Wonderful Piece By Pst. Tunde Bakare At The SNG Town Hall Meeting: by kokoA(m): 4:16pm On Jan 24, 2012
executinal:

A former governor of Benue state is a catholic priest, Rev. Fr Moses Adasu. Tell me what is wrong with a man of God joining politics? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

APGA ‘elects’ Guber Candidate Monday / Why my town Ikire,Irewole Local Gov. people 'll Vote Aregbesola For 2nd Term. / Go To U.S. To Clear Yourself, Former Nigerian Ambassador Tells Kashamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.