Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,455 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship (8276 Views)

Naval Officers Beat Up A Lady And Stripped Her - Watch Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by abiamahart: 1:10pm On Jan 24, 2012
All over the world it is women that commission ocean going vessels publicly or in private. Also there is this seaman scare that vessels not commissioned by women are prone to mishaps or shipwrecks in voyages of time past. Scientific proof though maybe required but surely there must be something that makes it necessary for women to commission ocean going vessels, liners, carriers, warships and submarines.

From Uk-Russia-Australia-USA-China-SA the culture is the same. Factly this is the first time i am seeing a woman commissioning a Nigerian Ocean going vessel.

I tried to see if i could get more facts on this from the NN website but couldn't. You can check those of Her Majesty's Royal Navy-HMS, USS etc

Use of rapid atack crafts and gun boats for operating within the boundaries of our teritorial waters meets our current threats and ability ot deal with multiple incursions both within creeks and on the high seas. High speed vessels with up to date communication and SAT NAV equipment not to mention Long range Infrared and Heat Sensors, gunners backed with Naval air support and much more.

The pictures and age of our Naval fleet really worries one who is interested in a strong Naval force. Anyway better this than nothing.

The vessel maybe free but the operational spares are going to be costly while keeping the Republican owned arms manufacturers in the US happy and offcourse employment for their people thereby meeting Obama's promise of creating more jobs - My 2cents
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by bukalence: 1:14pm On Jan 24, 2012
some guys here are just ignorant,or should i stupid. Even the queen does that in England. mschew!
sad
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Pukkah: 1:18pm On Jan 24, 2012
Regardless of the justification, the office of First Ladies should be scrapped at the Federal, State and LG levels for they have become conduit pipes for waste, profligacy and avenues for abandoned projects. Ever since Mr Babangida, the self-confessed 'Evil Genius' elevated that office to needless glamour and obscene display of wealth, there has been no looking back. embarassed

The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria does not recognize any such office and the usage of public funds to support them, directly or indirectly, amounts to nothing but waste especially in a country where recurrent expenditure is well over 70% of the annual budget and infrastructure is at its lowest ebb.

Pray, was there no other female political appointee or elected official to perform such a function?  Why do we crave so much razzmatazz and loudness? Why can't the wife of Mr President or the 'Executive' Governor simply be his wife? Why spend so much on a First Lady's office in a country where million of citizens live below the poverty line?

At this rate, very soon, we shall soon carve out public roles for the wives of Special Assistants or Special Advisers.
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Pukkah: 1:19pm On Jan 24, 2012
bukalence:

some guys here are just ignorant,or should i silly. Even the queen does that in England. mschew!
sad

Are you trying to draw a parallel between the Queen of England and the First Lady of Nigeria? Are you sure of that? You should look well before you start throwing insults at others.
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by nagoma(m): 1:48pm On Jan 24, 2012
some guys here are just ignorant,or should i silly. Even the queen does that in England. mschew!

What do you mean - even the queen?
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by MyPoint: 1:48pm On Jan 24, 2012
I have observed that many Nigerians are only looking for faults in this govt to blame and criticize. I agree our govt have made some wrong policies and decision which does not favour the masses, but some of the criticisms are simply baseless and unnecessary.

It is getting to the level that even our constructive criticism will simply be ignored.
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Pukkah: 1:57pm On Jan 24, 2012
MyPoint:

I have observed that many Nigerians are only looking for faults in this govt to blame and criticize. I agree our govt have made some wrong policies and decision which does not favour the masses, but some of the criticisms are simply baseless and unnecessary.

It is getting to the level that even our constructive criticism will simply be ignored.

I think this is a simple matter: are you in support of the retention of the various offices of First Ladies across the land? If yes, what are your reasons?
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by alex03(m): 1:58pm On Jan 24, 2012
Commissioning doesn't have to be done by the first lady herself. if the president is away, she could hire some one to do it for her.  wink

Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by ulnan: 2:02pm On Jan 24, 2012
Quote from:valacious
The president brought her out to show the nation that her diction has improved after hours of tutoring by english teachers(and i agree a bit). And did anyone notice how
her hands were visibly and violently shaking when she wanted to adjust her reading glasses during her speech on t.v, sighs(afraid to make mistake, just like her husband) i pity the woman!

Is ur wife better than d first lady? Ur wife may even be an illitrate,what are we talking about? Must every first lady be as sound as u xpect her 2b? Is she not better than some hadjias in corridors of power? I think u just hate her 4d fact that ur not supporter of mr president. Am also a critic of mr president,but dat does not mean I shud hate d poor woman who is even better than the retard gud 4notin luck himself.never u speak bad against dis poor woman again,nobody is born with knowledge,it is acquired through learning. Jonathan is illread cos he got phd and does not act like one who has studied up 2d level of phd,most of his decisions are senseless n with fear and favour
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by SkySpirit(m): 2:05pm On Jan 24, 2012
Its standard practise all over the world!
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Bawss1(m): 2:07pm On Jan 24, 2012
What is wrong with the first lady commissioning a ship? Do people just like talking even when they have nothing meaningful to say or what?
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Deage(m): 2:14pm On Jan 24, 2012
I believe the person who opened this thread either asked out of ignorance or was looking for a way to criticize the government (first lady in particular). Either of the two, I believe u have been enlightened by previous posts.
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by pedestal82(m): 2:39pm On Jan 24, 2012
Well, I hv been enlightened by the various posts. On a lighter note, "I made front page" new on NL *winks*
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by velo10: 3:15pm On Jan 24, 2012
pedestal82:

Well, I hv been enlightened by the various posts. On a lighter note, "I made front page" new on NL *winks*

You simply made it cos you were asking a question that stunned many people's rational minds. Keep it up.
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by kinguwem: 4:07pm On Jan 24, 2012
Ships especially war ships are usually commissioned by women especially first ladies in the developed world. Nigeria is maintaining similar tradition.
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2012
Thank God . . . . there are brilliant people in NL that did not allow this to degenerate into another "my insult is better than your" thread.

It is the tradition . . . . ships are "SHE" and are always commision by women. I clarified that from a senior female navy officer. . .because I was wondering too when she told me that the First Lady will be doing the commission and I asked why?
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Basics007: 5:19pm On Jan 24, 2012
bukalence:

sad
Are you for real?
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by DaLover(m): 7:28pm On Jan 24, 2012
EMANY 01:

People should be carefull to cheak their facts out before they critisise otherwise it exposes them for what they are: people who just hate for reasons other than the rational or the logical.
It's the fad to hate anything Gej but while its their right to do so never let the hate consume you so much that when he does things right you wouldn't see it.

Na wa for you oooo, seems your expectations are too high, are you really expecting people to wait to check facts? and pass up an opportunity to hurl insults? do you know how difficult it is to check facts, when you can immidiately start typing insults, opening the google website, scrolling tru all the returned results, hell no,
An Ijaw man in power is just too painfull to bear, additional work wont cut it at this stage.
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by jmaine: 7:38pm On Jan 24, 2012
The usual cynic beings came in blazing foolishly as usual . . .Thank God for getting schooled by fellow landers
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by deadie(m): 9:13pm On Jan 24, 2012
Because na Tokumbo ship and dem wan name am NNS Okirika. Such honour is befitting only to one who is married to an Ijaw man.
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 24, 2012
Lmao @ NNS OKRIKIKA. . . .didnt she make any speech at the ceremony ?
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Ovamboland(m): 12:25am On Jan 25, 2012
You make check my post on political threads and you will see i am hardly pro-establishment, and i have never being a fan of the present government.

I never for once doubted that GEJ will be a disaster in power and campaigned for other candidness in the last election. I also never supported first lady system the way it's done here with full office and retinue of staff.

The commissioning of the ship is in accordance to common tradition of the US navy but i wonder what the tradition of the Nigerian Navy is as regards naming and commissioning ships
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by bigtt76(f): 8:20am On Jan 25, 2012
I guess the correct heading should have been "Nigerian First Lady to Arm Naval Warship" , in recognition of her numerous 'surface-to-surface' missiles hehehehe grin
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by Jeezy: 10:06am On Jan 25, 2012
Its a normal Navy tradition for females to commission vessels. Even the vessels themselves are given feminine names. No cause for criticism here.
Re: First Lady And Comissioning Of Naval Ship by folos(m): 9:51am On Feb 07, 2012
the messages i have read concerning the ceremony performed by the 1st lady goes to show the ignorance of a lot of people on social media.to post comments on this page u require internet connection, the same internet connection required to google Naval Traditions on ship's commissioning. We owe it to posterity to verify issues, if not for our sake but the people reading our comments, before posting thrash.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Controlling Lagos' Borders... / See What Will Happen Once Igbo Or Yoruba becomes president / 8 PDP Assembly Candidates Defect To APC In Zamfara.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.