Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,787 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio (4913 Views)

HELP !! Yoruba Plot To KILL Ibaka Deep Sea Port / Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 / China CCECC To Begin Construction Of Ibaka Deep Seaport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by PointB: 11:42pm On Jan 23, 2012
Ibaka seaport ’ll create 100,000 jobs – Gov Akpabio
On December 15, 2011 · In Business
Tweet

By Godfrey Bivbere & Precious Iyomere

Governor of Akwa Ibom, Godswill Akpabio, has said that the deep seaport to be cited at Ibaka near the state’s capital, Uyo would create over 100,000 jobs for the country’s largely unemployed population.

The governor who disclosed this at the concluded summit by the Nigerian Ports Consultative Council (NPCC) in Uyo with the theme “Unlocking Maritime Potential of Akwa Ibom State for Accelerated Development in Nigeria,” noted that the 129 kilometers stretch of land at the Ibaka port area would be a self-sustaining industrial city.

He said in the next few weeks, his government would award a contract for the dualisation of the road leading to the port, to correct the mistake in Apapa port area.

Gov Akpabio

The governor, according to a press statement signed by Chief Micheal Ajayi, General Manager in charge of Public Affairs of Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) quoted the governor to have added that in partnership with the Federal Government, a multimodal transport system would be built to include rail lines linking Port-Harcourt and Calabar.

He said, “The area designated for the project has the longest coastline and just five kilometers away from the capital city. With a depth of between 15 and 18 meters water channel and 129 kilometers stretch of land it has some of the best port features that could be found anywhere in the world.

“With Ibaka deep seaport, we will have a seaport that will not require perennial dredging. Investors will be in business for a very long time without bothering about dredging.

“The port will serve all countries in the Gulf of Guinea. The peaceful nature of the community and availability of undeveloped land will make the area a self-sustaining industrial city when the port is completed. In addition to the port, the area will also habour independent power plants, refinery and industries.

“It sounds great and unbelievable but achievable. It will employ 100,000 Nigerians, strengthen our country’s position in oil and gas sector in the world. It will be the nation’s gateway to the rest of the world through the Gulf of Guinea.”

Governor Akpabio handed over the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) of the land for citing of the seaport measuring 5,580 square meters to the Managing Director of the Nigeria Ports Authority, Engr. Omar Suleiman a few weeks ago . “Time means everything. I’m already on my second term and there’s no third term. I can’t wait to see this project realised. I share the passion and I see that passion in Suleiman,” he said.

In his speech, Managing Director of the Nigeria Ports Authority (NPA), Engr. Omar Suleiman said that the Ibaka deep seaport project will transform the state into a commercial and industrial hub of West and Central Africa.

[url]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/ibaka-seaport-%E2%80%99ll-create-100000-jobs-gov-akpabio/[/url]
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Onlytruth(m): 11:58pm On Jan 23, 2012
PointB:

Ibaka seaport ’ll create 100,000 jobs – Gov Akpabio
On December 15, 2011 · In Business
Tweet

By Godfrey Bivbere & Precious Iyomere

Governor of Akwa Ibom, Godswill Akpabio, has said that the deep seaport to be cited at Ibaka near the state’s capital, Uyo would create over 100,000 jobs for the country’s largely unemployed population.

The governor who disclosed this at the concluded summit by the Nigerian Ports Consultative Council (NPCC) in Uyo with the theme “Unlocking Maritime Potential of Akwa Ibom State for Accelerated Development in Nigeria,” noted that the 129 kilometers stretch of land at the Ibaka port area would be a self-sustaining industrial city.

He said in the next few weeks, his government would award a contract for the dualisation of the road leading to the port, to correct the mistake in Apapa port area.

Gov Akpabio

The governor, according to a press statement signed by Chief Micheal Ajayi, General Manager in charge of Public Affairs of Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) quoted the governor to have added that in partnership with the Federal Government, a multimodal transport system would be built to include rail lines linking Port-Harcourt and Calabar.

He said, “The area designated for the project has the longest coastline and just five kilometers away from the capital city. With a depth of between 15 and 18 meters water channel and 129 kilometers stretch of land it has some of the best port features that could be found anywhere in the world.

“With Ibaka deep seaport, we will have a seaport that will not require perennial dredging. Investors will be in business for a very long time without bothering about dredging.

“The port will serve all countries in the Gulf of Guinea. The peaceful nature of the community and availability of undeveloped land will make the area a self-sustaining industrial city when the port is completed. In addition to the port, the area will also habour independent power plants, refinery and industries.

“It sounds great and unbelievable but achievable. It will employ 100,000 Nigerians, strengthen our country’s position in oil and gas sector in the world. I[b]t will be the nation’s gateway to the rest of the world through the Gulf of Guinea.”[/b]

Governor Akpabio handed over the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) of the land for citing of the seaport measuring 5,580 square meters to the Managing Director of the Nigeria Ports Authority, Engr. Omar Suleiman a few weeks ago . “Time means everything. I’m already on my second term and there’s no third term. I can’t wait to see this project realised. I share the passion and I see that passion in Suleiman,” he said.

In his speech, Managing Director of the Nigeria Ports Authority (NPA), Engr. Omar Suleiman said that the Ibaka deep seaport project will transform the state into a commercial and industrial hub of West and Central Africa.

[url]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/ibaka-seaport-%E2%80%99ll-create-100000-jobs-gov-akpabio/[/url]

So, Lagos watch out. Ibaka is coming! cool
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by ezeagu(m): 12:16am On Jan 24, 2012
Ibaka can't touch Lagos because the millions of Igbo people/easterners aren't going to change their mind and move back east.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by PointB: 12:17am On Jan 24, 2012
ezeagu:

Ibaka can't touch Lagos because the millions of Igbo people/easterners aren't going to change their mind and move back east.

Don't be too sure. Over time, the opportunities of the new port will be grabbed by business savvy people. grin grin grin
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by BlackPikiN(m): 12:19am On Jan 24, 2012
Ibaka port come o.
My mother's people will now have a port.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by ezeagu(m): 12:22am On Jan 24, 2012
Lagos is a strong drug Igbo people will take some time to take over, especially those that can't travel abroad, in short travelling everywhere on the globe is. Going to Lagos for an easterner is the equivalent of going to Los Angeles for an American artist. Some actually believe they'll become instantly rich in Lagos, I don't know if it's because of the limited choices, or because of the Lagos-travelling culture the whole of Nigeria has been bred with.

Anyway, I don't see Igbo people travelling in large number back to the east, even if a western standard ultra-modern sea port was built in the east, after-all they've abandoned Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Onlytruth(m): 12:23am On Jan 24, 2012
ezeagu:

Maybe; BUT.

Lagos is getting too expensive by the day with Fashola ever increasing taxes. Also Lagos is congested already. Most Igbo in Lagos stay there because they have no alternative viable port to bring in imports.
I welcome the competition though.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Onlytruth(m): 12:27am On Jan 24, 2012
ezeagu:

Lagos is a strong drug Igbo people will take some time to take over, especially those that can't travel abroad, in short travelling everywhere on the globe is. Going to Lagos for an easterner is the equivalent of going to Los Angeles for an American artist. Some actually believe they'll become instantly rich in Lagos, I don't know if it's because of the limited choices, or because of the Lagos-travelling culture the whole of Nigeria has been bred with.

Anyway, I don't see Igbo people travelling in large number back to the east, even if a western standard ultra-modern sea port was built in the east, after-all they've abandoned Port Harcourt.

@Bolded

Food for thought. sad

I guess the port alone may not attract them back. There has to be a regional plan for that; or at least a concerted effort to attract them there. If not, they would not go there. Igbo, these days, shun areas they are not welcome.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by ezeagu(m): 12:33am On Jan 24, 2012
Let's say the truth: The Igbo middle class is based in the distant over-crowded city called Lagos, they have created a whole society there and are embedded in the land. The only thing that's going to move them back to eastern Nigerian is a serious transformation in that region (which will not happen because they are needed for that), or if they are physically moved (Igbo people in Kano, for example, are only JUST moving because Boko Haram physically entered Kano and physically blew themselves up in their face, despite bombings happening all over Northern Nigeria for over a year, and pogroms for over 40).

We see the problem here already, the people who should be using this port (the port will survive, but this is about booming and taking some load off Lagos, right?) are not going to because they will not move from Lagos to suffer some months of discomfort, for decades or even centuries of having their own. Until Igbo people can find a way to transplant their middle and upper class from Abuja and Lagos into the dead city of Enugu, the okay city of Owerri, and the terrible city's of Onicha and Aba, etc. We will continue to see failed eastern project, such as the sabotaged Tinapa, and people will continue to harass/insult millions of Igbo.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by efisher(m): 12:34am On Jan 24, 2012
This deserves a standing ovation . . . When completed!

Good news for investors like me. Ibaka, here I come. cheesy
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by manny4life(m): 12:50am On Jan 24, 2012
First off, I don't know how they arrived @ this 100,000 job they claim.

Second is that a new sea port is NOT enough to rival with Lagos. The SE/SS needs an effective and attractive rail network to boost the SE/SS corridor. The SE needs a "total overhaul" in terms of modern and aggressive development, because you need a robust economy before the port can generate revenues. Although, I would say great job to the Gov, he sure knows what he's doing.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Ufeolorun(m): 8:00am On Jan 24, 2012
A new sea-port sure will be good for the people of the state,their neighbours and Nigeria as whole.
I hope demand side of things are seriously considered,connection to some or all of the economic hubs of Nigeria to ensure this doesn't end up  as another Tinapa (it lacks easy accessibility and demand)

Why the fixation about seeing Lagos collapse? As long as the demand for service and goods in the Western axis(Lagos,Abeokuta,Ibadan,Akure,Ilorin other west african markets) remain strong,nothing will happen to Lagos port or economy even if you create sea port in every local government.
Simple logic: Emeka sells spare parts to mechanics(local people),bus and cab drivers(local people),private car owners(majority likely to be local people),as long as these people stay Emeka would likely not move,not as a favour to anyone but for the sake of his business.

Orlando Owoh(RIP),a musician said; Bi oju obati Ehingbeti odami loju oju kole ti Eko.
Aso taba lara Eegun se emope ti Egun lonse.(Masquerade do not borrow clothes whatever clothes you see on a masquerade belongs to it)
Whatever advantage Lagos has today belongs to it,it wasn't borrowed.
I Hope my translation helps.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Obiagu1(m): 8:29am On Jan 24, 2012
ezeagu:

You got a point here. The Igbo are really too slow in moving into southern part of former East because of abandoned property saga or is there something else I don't know? They still remained in PH though. Surprisingly, they'll rather move up North than Calabar or Uyo or Yenogoa.
I hope it doesn't become another Tinapa or underused like PH international airport.

To rival Lagos, they'll probably should make plans to connect the port with Onitsha via good roads or rail line.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by chino11(m): 10:53am On Jan 24, 2012
The port infrastructure is a good one to supply other major ports in Port Harcourt, Onitsha and Warri.

The vibrant cities of Onitsha, Enugu, Port Harcourt and some other lame cities as Owerri and the rest of them should be the focus of investment attention to the Igbos.

States like Anambra and Enugu states are already doing so by attracting FDIs into their respective states.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by phantom(m): 11:36am On Jan 24, 2012
ezeagu:

why wont they,when your federal government cant dredge it,
and i hope you do realize that >%50 of the goods that come in through lagos are consumed outside the south west, so saying lagos wont be affected in anyway is indeed laughable, YES,a huge market is in lagos,but it is only because of the domnioe effect of a VIABLE SEAPORT and AIRPORT,
The ports in the east combined cant beat lagos' primarily cos of depth and the frequent need to dredge, but ibaka will turn out to be the viable alternative to lagos,
Onlytruth:

Maybe; BUT.

Lagos is getting too expensive by the day with Fashola ever increasing taxes. Also Lagos is congested already. Most Igbo in Lagos stay there because they have no alternative viable port to bring in imports.
I welcome the competition though.
FACT!
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by jidestar: 2:31pm On Jan 24, 2012
Can somebody tell me why the capital of rivers is called port harcourt? As the richest state in Nigeria Port Harcourt is suppose to be the richest city and with all the island it should host the largest commercial deep sea port in Africa but all they can do is produce militant and poverty even all the bank and oil company have run to lagos.

Port have nothing to show for oil. useless people. Igbo go just dey make mouth for nairaland no sense.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by ezeagu(m): 3:04pm On Jan 24, 2012
phantom:

why wont they,when your federal government cant dredge it,
and i hope you do realize that >%50 of the goods that come in through lagos are consumed outside the south west, so saying lagos wont be affected in anyway is indeed laughable, YES,a huge market is in lagos,but it is only because of the domnioe effect of a VIABLE SEAPORT and AIRPORT,
The ports in the east combined cant beat lagos' primarily cos of depth and the frequent need to dredge, but ibaka will turn out to be the viable alternative to lagos,

That around half the goods coming into Lagos leaves to other regions is even more embarrassing. I'm starting to believe that the easterners are no more than 5 million in this world.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by jidestar: 3:09pm On Jan 24, 2012
They are just very greedy and self-centred with ver little sense of Brotherhood unlike most other groups in Nigeria. Very quick to down cast their own and very heavy handed and strict with their own but tolerate others from other group for the same flaws. I know una. Osu People.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by hercules07: 4:39pm On Jan 24, 2012
Lagos port will survive any port created anywhere, the demand is more than enough for it, anyway, the ports belong to the FG as it is and Lagos state is not getting enough revenue, imagine the state getting just 50% of what accrues to the FG, let AK build their port, goodluck to them, Lagos will not die because of it.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by manny4life(m): 5:15pm On Jan 24, 2012
^^^

No one is saying that Lagos will die, what they are saying is that being that it's a deep seaport, it will rival Lagos as a strong competitor. If more than 1/3 of goods that come in through port is transferred out from Lagos to the SE/SS cities, don't you think that losing just 50% of that 1/3rd of business will have an effect on Lagos? Fortunately, this is all part of the strategic planning to boost the economy of SE,

BTW, this is a fed port, yet, it accrues 50% revenue of the port and you call that meager? SMH, wait till Lagos states build their own port and then let's see how much will accrue to the FG with comparison to what you have now.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by hercules07: 5:30pm On Jan 24, 2012
I am not sure Lagos gets much from the ports as everything is controlled by the FG, let the ports be built elsewhere, less trucks on the road and consequently they last longer, as long as the demand from the SW and some parts of the North is sustained, ba wahala, other regions developing is good for the country, more people leave Lagos to those places, other opportunities open up, we wish other regions well, that can not be said for some of the people posting here.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 24, 2012
When i visited ibaka last year i was amazed that an eastern state have such a deep coastline with vast land.

The proposed seaport is a good development plan and i hope it works to enhance job creation and competition.

Whoever has not been to ibaka need to see to really appreciate governor akpabio plans.
I was impressed also with the state road networks too.

Good job godswill akpabio
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 24, 2012
This Ibaka should have been an airport and not a seaport grin
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 24, 2012
There is an airport within the axis too not far from the capital but i don't know if its fully ready though.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Akwafinaaa: 5:55pm On May 27, 2012
ibaka has a natural advantage....does not require dredging and it has a natural dept of about 50 to 60 feet(15-18m). it is also very close to the densely populated and import thirsty south-east nigeria.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Abagworo(m): 6:45pm On May 27, 2012
chino11: The port infrastructure is a good one to supply other major ports in Port Harcourt, Onitsha and Warri.

The vibrant cities of Onitsha, Enugu, Port Harcourt and some other lame cities as Owerri and the rest of them should be the focus of investment attention to the Igbos.

States like Anambra and Enugu states are already doing so by attracting FDIs into their respective states.

Don't you ever mention Port Harcourt or Owerri which you call lame with those your backward red earthed area. Akwaibom is a new gateway that has long been over due. So kudos to this Governor that has initiated the right moves that will pay off in years to come. Stop this your tribalism and move into the 21st century. All Igbos, Fulanis, Ijaws and even Camerounians can invest in Akwaibom .
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 27, 2012
How far has the Ibaka sea port project gone and when is it expected to be completed?
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by bashr8: 3:51am On May 28, 2012
ezeagu: Lagos is a strong drug Igbo people will take some time to take over, especially those that can't travel abroad, in short travelling everywhere on the globe is. Going to Lagos for an easterner is the equivalent of going to Los Angeles for an American artist. Some actually believe they'll become instantly rich in Lagos, I don't know if it's because of the limited choices, or because of the Lagos-travelling culture the whole of Nigeria has been bred with.

are u high when you wrote this? lagos is a filthy place for God sake am begining to think some igbo people need their tongues cut off.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by EkoIle1: 4:31am On May 28, 2012
NPA, Lagos approve $6 billion first deep sea port

http://maritime-connector.com/news/general/npa-lagos-approve-6-billion-first-deep-sea-port/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJVzMGbpt4

Lekki Port LFTZ Enterprise (LPLE) achieved a significant milestone towards realisation of Tolaram Port@Lekki, a multipurpose deepwater port, with the signing of an Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contract with China Harbour Engineering Company Ltd., (CHEC) on 11 May 2012. CHEC was chosen as the EPC contractor following a competitive bidding process and bilateral negotiations.

CHEC will be responsible for all phases of development, from design to construction and commissioning, of the project’s infrastructure and facilities. As part of the fixed price, date certain, turnkey EPC contract CHEC will design and construct the port including dredging of the approach channel, turning circle, and harbour basin, main and eastern breakwaters, quay for three container terminal berths and one dry bulk berth, container terminal yard, and all the related infrastructure such as port buildings, power station, water and wastewater treatment plants, etc. The entire facility will be constructed and commissioned in 42 months.

CHEC, a subsidiary of China Communications Construction Company Ltd., is a leading international port contractor with considerable experience in construction of large port projects both with China and overseas. Some of the major projects already completed by CHEC include the Shanghai Yangshan Deep water Port, Yantian Port in Yantian, QASIM International Container Terminal in Karachi, Pakistan, and Dammar Oil Terminal at the Port of Sudan.

CHEC‘s ongoing international port projects include a deep water port in Cameroon, and Doha New Port in Qatar.

http://www.lekkiport.com/about-port-lekki/press-room.html?pressid=18
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by EkoIle1: 4:39am On May 28, 2012
The Deep Sea Port

The Ok Free Trade Zone is developed by the OK Free Trade Zone Enterprise (OKFTZ Enterprise) a Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) between the two States Ogun and Ondo State and the Belgian Company IPEM.

IPEM (International Port Engineering and Management) is a European engineering and investment company specialised in port related infrastructures and Free Trade Zones.

While the zone is promoted by the two state Governments of Ogun and Ondo State, IPEM is the technical Partner in the PPP and brings it financial and technical capabilities to the project. In this way, the strengths of both the private and public sector are combined to turn this development into a success.

With its Headquarters and commercial department in based in Lagos and operational and technical department based in the OK Free Trade Zone, the OKFTZ Enterprise has a strong structure in place to assist your developments and to serve all your needs and requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrTycONMq70&feature=player_embedded

A full state of the art Deep Sea Port will be located in the Zone and makes of OKFTZ the gateway to the world. The port will contain, amongst others, a service port for oil and gas businesses, bulk loading and unloading quays, liquid jetties and fully integrated container terminal to become the hub of West Africa.

The port will be developed in several stages. In a first stage, a port with an accessibility for vessels up to -6m will be developed. In the second stage, the port will be deepened up to -10m and in a third stage up to -16m to be able to accept the latest type of sea vessels type post-panamax and larger.

The OK Deep Sea Port offers a valuable alternative for the congested Port of Lagos. No demurrage and waiting time, but a fluent unloading and loading of your goods.
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by EkoIle1: 4:45am On May 28, 2012
Good for Akwa and their village sea port, but it sounds like a waste of time since 2 deep sea ports, the best in West Africa are under construction in the SW with Badagry deep sea port to follow.

Lagos is not sleeping and some village seaport is just what it is, it makes not difference as far as Lagos is concerned..
Re: Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio by jason123: 4:51am On May 28, 2012
^^^

You need serious help! Can't you be happy for others for once?!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Die Hard Fan - i Can't Be Alive And See Buhari Fail Again (photo) / A Yoruba Woman Called Radio Biafra / Kenya Is Fast Becoming The Business Hub Of Africa, Nigeria Didnt Make The List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.