Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,408 members, 7,826,579 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 (20211 Views)

Seaport In The South East / HELP !! Yoruba Plot To KILL Ibaka Deep Sea Port / Ibaka Seaport ’ll Create 100,000 Jobs – Gov Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 31, 2013
AKWA IBOM,NPA SET 2015 TARGET FOR IBAKA

Akwa Ibom, NPA set 2015 target for Ibaka Deep sea port
…Akpabio grants NPA C of O for port area

Barring any last minute changes, the proposed Ibaka Deep sea port would start receiving ocean lines not later than 2015, Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom State Chief Godswill Akpabio and the Managing Director of Nigerian Ports Authority, Engr. Omar Suleiman have hinted.

Governor Akpabio and Engr. Suleiman who expressed the resolve on Monday in Abuja at a brief event to mark the official hand over of the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) of the over 5580 Sq meters of land area for the citing of the new port, said all infrastructures needed to fast -track the early completion of the port will be provided. This is even as the Governor pledged to within one month award contract for the dualisation of the port main access road to link the East –West road with a view to making it more intermodal

The state Government equally handed over the master plan of the port to the Managing Director of NPA at the event.

He said the state was spurred to fast-track work on the surveying and parceling out of the land where the port will be cited after the last visit of President Goodluck Jonathan to the state where he pledged support for citing of project in an area that has comparative advantage rather than based on ethnic sentiments.

Governor Akpabio noted that the infrastructures for a deep sea port is huge, saying the state is prepared to offer assistance to NPA at whatever point it will be needed. He added that his government is fully ready to partner with the Organisation to ensure that the necessary infrastructure for effective take-off of the port is provided. “Whatever support that may be required to ensure that a big ocean going Liner comes to the port by 2015 will be provided by the state government.

He allayed fears of security of investment in the port in view of the menace of the maritime pirates in the Nigerian territorial waters, saying that the federal government has granted the state it’s request to establish full military presence in that location. “Now we have NN Jubilee in the area, so with the presence of the Army, Navy, complementing the Marine Police, there will be adequate security of investments as the area will be a no go area for maritime robbers and other criminals.” The Governor envisages that when the multi-billion naira port project is completed, it will be the hub of oil and gas operation in the Gulf of Guinea.

The Ibaka port is said to be between 17 and 18 meters draught without dredging and its quay area will span over two miles (length). It is hoped that on completion, mega vessels of over 10,000 TEUs will be calling at the port and that will make it the largest in the region.

Earlier, the Managing Director of NPA expressing delight in the gesture of the Governor noted that the move to establish the deep sea port is a major step in the nation’s quest of becoming the hub of maritime operation in the West and Central African sub-region.

He noted that what is needed to realize the project is infrastructure, assuring that Ports Authority will partner with Akwa Ibom State to ensure that the necessary infrastructure is provided. He disclosed that the port project is intermodal that sees the construction of port access roads and mono- rail to ensure easy evacuation of goods out of the port.

He said the journey towards the construction of the Ibaka deep sea port dates back to the 70s but had not been taken with seriousness it deserves. “But with the new vision and the transformation agenda of President Goodluck Jonathan the development of the port has become a must if the country is to achieve its dream of becoming the hub port of the sub-region.

SOURCE http://www.nigerianports.org/news.aspx?id=251

This is great news! The operation of Ibaka seaport would drive further massive developments in Akwa Ibom and Neighboring states. Thank God for Governor Godswill Akpabio and president Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (GCFR).

19 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Scarpon(m): 9:58pm On Jul 31, 2013
good development. how many see port do Nigeria have

1 Like

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 31, 2013
Scarpon: good development. how many see port do Nigeria have

Presently everybody depends on Lagos to bring in ocean liners but that has to change for more development and faster economic growth.

9 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by mojounited(m): 10:10pm On Jul 31, 2013
...This is even as the Governor pledged to within one month award contract for the dualisation of the port main access road to link the East –West road with a view to making it more intermodal

Way to go Mr Governor, I do hope the contract will be awarded to Julius Berger or CCECC for a better and more efficient road construction that'll be durable.

3 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 31, 2013
mojounited:

Way to go Mr Governor, I do hope the contract will be awarded to Julius Berger or CCECC for a better and more efficient road construction that'll be durable.

CCECC will do the job and I trust them. I can't wait for this seaport to commence operations. The SS/SE might overtake Dubai. cool

11 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by mojounited(m): 10:22pm On Jul 31, 2013
EUROBOMBER: CCECC will do the job and I trust them. I can't wait for this seaport to commence operations. The SS/SE might overtake Dubai. cool

Lol, overtake Dubai..Dude seriously? #Pass me whatever you're smoking bro cheesy It's good to be optimistic, but you're wayyy overboard with your optimism - not when Naija politicians are at the helm of affairs...

Meanwhile, CCECC is currently handling the dualisation of Etinan - Eket - Ibeno road while Julius Berger is dualising Uyo - Ikot Ekpene - Aba road. Do you think CCECC will have the manpower to carry out two major road projects and still deliver on the schedule of key dates?

9 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 31, 2013
mojounited:

Lol, overtake Dubai..Dude seriously? #Pass me whatever you're smoking bro cheesy

Smoking I am dancing ooo and arranging for thanksgiving because one major thing the Igbos have been praying for is a seaport we can call our own and God has answered our prayers. cheesy

The eko chest-beaters will hide in shame! grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 31, 2013
This is one major reason why our ever-performing president, his excellency Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (GCFR) must continue beyond 2015. grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 31, 2013
mojounited:

I was actually hoping to hear about rail links from the port.

How efficient is it to keep carrying heavy goods by road?
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 31, 2013
HNosegbe:

I was actually hoping to hear about rail links from the port.

The issue of rail links would be fixed with time. This is a brilliant move by Governor Akpabio, he is truly a visionary leader.

2 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by awodman: 10:47pm On Jul 31, 2013
Plus the fact that you can fly to london,dubai,New York e.t.c from Enugu International Airport...

Bye bye to Apapa...GEJ pls keep on spreading this economy and let's see how one set of people can lay claim to the Economy of this great nation...

22 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by ITbomb(m): 10:54pm On Jul 31, 2013
Very soon Lagos shakara go end . Ibaka is much nearer to Aba

10 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2013
mojounited:

Lol, overtake Dubai..Dude seriously? #Pass me whatever you're smoking bro cheesy It's good to be optimistic, but you're wayyy overboard with your optimism - not when Naija politicians are at the helm of affairs...

Meanwhile, CCECC is currently handling the dualisation of Etinan - Eket - Ibeno road while Julius Berger is dualising Uyo - Ikot Ekpene - Aba road. Do you think CCECC will have the manpower to carry out two major road projects and still deliver on the schedule of key dates?

aba connects directly to Enugu via enugu/ph expressway
that new uyo-ikot ekpene -aba dual carriage way will be the busiest road in the east.

4 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jul 31, 2013
Another job creation avenue... Que sera sera...

3 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jul 31, 2013
ITbomb: Very soon Lagos shakara go end . Ibaka is much nearer to Aba

Yes my brother. All the eko chest-beating will cease. One key reason why Lagos is more developed than other states is because they have monopoly of the only real functioning port.

The East will become a wonder land. cool

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by mojounited(m): 11:18pm On Jul 31, 2013
HNosegbe: I was actually hoping to hear about rail links from the port.

It is still at developmental phase, I think a rail link project would be too immature at this stage... Albeit it's a good idea that requires early planning, I don't foresee Ibaka port experiencing too much activities as there's Onne Port in Port Harcourt, hence there'll be lesser traffic and vehicular activities on the proposed road. Meanwhile, the revamped or proposed standard gauge rail tracks for the eastern part of the country will be extended further, either from Aba - Uyo or Port Harcourt - Uyo, which would make it easy to construct rail link to the port. Source below:

Jonathan has promised to revamp the moribund rail system in the country and to link Akwa Ibom and Cross River states with railway lines. It is not the first time that government has said it would extend railway services to Calabar or Uyo.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/when-jonathan-visited-akwa-ibom/82827/
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 31, 2013
mojounited:

It is still at developmental phase, I think a rail link project would be too immature at this stage... Albeit it's a good idea that requires early planning, I don't foresee Ibaka port experiencing too much activities as there's Onne Port in Port Harcourt, hence there'll be lesser traffic and vehicular activities on the proposed road. Meanwhile, the revamped or proposed standard gauge rail tracks for the eastern part of the country will be extended further, either from Aba - Uyo or Port Harcourt - Uyo, which would make it easy to construct rail link to the port. Source below:

Great analysis! I'm loving this more and more.
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by asha80(m): 7:42am On Aug 01, 2013
mojounited:

are you sure about JB dualizing aba-ikot ekpene road?
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by ITbomb(m): 10:06am On Aug 01, 2013
asha 80: are you sure about JB dualizing aba-ikot ekpene road?
Uyo-Ikot Ekpene : Yes, already some part are near completion
Ikot Ekpene-Aba : I doubt, as Abia would not agree to the arrangement Akwa Ibom have with FG on construction of Federal roads by State Government
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by asha80(m): 10:13am On Aug 01, 2013
ITbomb:
Uyo-Ikot Ekpene : Yes, already some part are near completion
Ikot Ekpene-Aba : I doubt, as Abia would not agree to the arrangement Akwa Ibom have with FG on construction of Federal roads by State Government
smh at t a orji......though i remember readind last week that abia and akwa ibom states have agreed to allow a private firm construct that road(whatever that means).it was on guardian newspaper and it was posted here.
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by mojounited(m): 12:10pm On Aug 01, 2013
asha 80: smh at t a orji......though i remember readind last week that abia and akwa ibom states have agreed to allow a private firm construct that road(whatever that means).it was on guardian newspaper and it was posted here.

You're very correct. It was announced after the SS/SE Governors met in Enugu on economic integration of both regions. Let's just hope T. A. Orji has finally grown a pair of soccer-sized b@alls to do the right thing.. cool
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by obitwo: 12:15pm On Aug 01, 2013
EUROBOMBER:

Yes my brother. All the eko chest-beating will cease. One key reason why Lagos is more developed than other states is because they have monopoly of the only real functioning port.

The East will become a wonder land. cool

As if there is no Port in PH and despite the concentration of oil companies, it is not growing as fast as Lagos under any circumstance
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by bloggernaija: 1:50pm On Aug 01, 2013
[quote author=EUROBOMBER]

Smoking I am dancing ooo and arranging for thanksgiving because one major thing the Igbos have been praying for is a seaport we can call our own and God has answered our prayers. cheesy

The eko chest-beaters will hide in shame! grin grin grin[/quote
Believe me ,the yorubas are praying for that seaport to function. that is, if the addition cost as a result of distance to the main shipping routes and the cost of insurance ( the price of niger delta piracy )does not make it unviable .
The government would not need to spend so much on roads maintenance and social infrastructure .

1 Like

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by bloggernaija: 1:55pm On Aug 01, 2013
Over 70% of the cargo that comes into the country does not leave the SW .20% of that goes to the inner SW States.
Do the maths and the economics
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by ba7man(m): 2:31pm On Aug 01, 2013
Anything to take the pressure of Lagos ports is welcome. Apapa port and the rest struggle to keep up with the influx of goods anyway in the first place. Nice one there.
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by ITbomb(m): 4:14pm On Aug 01, 2013
obitwo:

As if there is no Port in PH and despite the concentration of oil companies, it is not growing as fast as Lagos under any circumstance
The port in Port Harcourt or even Calabar does not have enough depth to accomodate big ocean going container vessel mostly used for importations. It can be dredged but it would be at monumental cost but Ibaka has a natural deep port that just slope steeply from the continental shelf.

That is why Lagos is moving and others dont and that is also why it is expected that Ibaka will take the pressure off Lagos

7 Likes

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by obitwo: 4:47pm On Aug 01, 2013
ITbomb:
The port in Port Harcourt or even Calabar does not have enough depth to accomodate big ocean going container vessel mostly used for importations. It can be dredged but it would be at monumental cost but Ibaka has a natural deep port that just slope steeply from the continental shelf.

That is why Lagos is moving and others dont and that is also why it is expected that Ibaka will take the pressure off Lagos

That's a fat lie. Have you heard of or seen an FPSO before?

They can sail in PH's waters
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by macjive01: 4:54pm On Aug 01, 2013
[size=18pt]IGBOS ACCEPT A BABA-ANINI TO HEAD YOUR MARKET OR LEAVE LAGOS ! [/size]
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by macjive01: 4:57pm On Aug 01, 2013
obitwo:

Lol, do u know how far away the FPSO - on bongo field , is from shores.

Even the militants couldn't get to it during the crisis.

1 Like

Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by ITbomb(m): 5:12pm On Aug 01, 2013
obitwo:

No sir they cannot . The nearest FPSO is more that 100 nautical miles off PH at Bonga field. None of them can come near 10 miles radius of Onne or any other port in Rivers
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by basilo101: 9:21pm On Aug 01, 2013
Gud news 4 Aba.
Re: Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 by FSU: 9:23pm On Aug 01, 2013
bloggernaija: Over 70% of the cargo that comes into the country does not leave the SW .20% of that goes to the inner SW States.
Do the maths and the economics

Crap

almost all that leave Lagos are East bound. You can stand along Lagos-Benin h/w and do the count

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

No Provision For Fuel Subsidy In 2015 Budget / Buhari's 100 Days: Punch Writer Advises Garba Shehu And Adesina (must Read) / Ahmad Lawan: APC Insists On Appealing Court Judgment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.