Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,588 members, 7,955,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:34 PM

Invalid Job Applications - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Invalid Job Applications (4130 Views)

Job Assistance After 1020 Applications / Mckinsey 2014 - 2015 Applications / Do You Make This Simple Mistake In Your Job Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 11, 2012
please enough of all of these...
let's return to the original reason the thread was established in the first place..Bluediva, any more tips for us as 'an' HR person...lol.

2 Likes

Re: Invalid Job Applications by Stronger99: 2:41pm On Sep 11, 2012
BlueDiva:

Firstly, i don't know about perfection. Nobody ever claimed perfection.

Technically, i didn't answer you question.
i only threw a question back at you.

Stop bleating. . .

U must be a lawyer.grin
Re: Invalid Job Applications by yommy2sure(m): 3:17pm On Sep 11, 2012
BlueDiva:

Firstly, i don't know about perfection. Nobody ever claimed perfection.

Technically, i didn't answer you question.
i only threw a question back at you.

Stop bleating. . .

indeed you didnt claim perfection but you did give an impression of some robotic HR person that is better than everyone. Smart Alec! you answered the question indirectly with ur explanation. Enjoy ur HR thingy

5 Likes

Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 22, 2012
Blue Diva..plz dt allow dis thread 2 die..i remember one thread where pple became antagonistic and u went back to delete all ur post and discontinued posting der..plz any more tips for us
Re: Invalid Job Applications by geshbuck: 12:29am On Sep 23, 2012
You guys r just making a whole lot of noise here. Someone aired her views in a harsh manner... Learn from it an move on

1 Like

Re: Invalid Job Applications by kayswag100(m): 8:35am On Sep 23, 2012
ayox2003: ^ So every 4 out of 5 graduates should go back to school?

Anyway, I'm not surprised at the OP's thread at all.

Another fallacy of hasty generalization(which can also be found in the penultimate line of ^ quote).

Frawzey

baba, u too much! U just hit d hammer on d nail (sorry, u just hit nail on d hammer) lol!
U forgot 2 add dat d poster's summation is called 'Ad Ignoratium'.

Now who nids 2 go back 2 skool?

Some1 who does a random sampling of a few hundreds of thousands of applications and HASTILY concludes dat 80% of NIGERIAN GRADUATES NEED 2 go back 2 skool; or some1 who doent knw dat he DOESNT KNOW?

Imagine? by what i v seen here 2day, may i hastily conclude dat since 1 HR person faultily generalizes, therefore all HR personel Generalize?

Haba, common sense!

1 Like

Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 1:20am On Sep 26, 2012
Hello, house.

Well,considering the little I know about BlueDiva, I have come to realise that she is quite harsh with words and at the same time VERY confident as if she knows it all and have 'arrived'. While there may be some element of truth in her various post, I think she still has to be diplomatic when dealing with people. There are ways to pass across messages without seeming too pompous.

Also, she seem to look down on people and feels that those who are not her class deserve no attention from her. I remember in another thread where she was so quick to call 'someone she hasn't met in real life' jobless but wondered what she felt when the same person made her to understand that he works in an oil company in the UK.

BlueDiva, inasmuch as I have respect you, should learn to be diplomatic with words.

I have a friend whom, if you read some of his write-up, you will be swept off your feet. But the same person is not not so good with spoken words, I mean smoothly. He tend to stutter when speaking. I believe you will be quick to conclude that such a person lacks confident if you ever meet him in an interview.

Anyway, Naija work na wah.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 2:47am On Sep 26, 2012
BlueDiva, may I know why you so much duel on the negatives of people's personality when it comes to recruiting without proffering solution? I would expect someone of your caliber to be a role model in helping to pin point what and what is required of a job applicant, their weak points, how they can improve and stuffs like that.

I do believe that going to school is a different ball game when compared to getting a job and as such, not much is said/taught about getting a job while we were in school.

There was a member here who did help quite a lot of nairalanders reveiw their CV(I am not saying you should do the same o)and he/she did this for over 3 months and was well appreciated and God bless him/her. This is how we correct the system.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by AjanleKoko: 7:27am On Sep 26, 2012
Scape-goating.
Popular Nigerian pastime. undecided
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 11:36am On Sep 26, 2012
AjanleKoko: Scape-goating.
Popular Nigerian pastime. undecided
Meaning?
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 11:49am On Sep 26, 2012
Bludeville: That a person cant express his/herself properly in English, doesn't automatically exclude that such a person is indeed a genius. As a HR person, it is your Job to find out what Language a person truly speaks and engage/access him based on that. After all, it is not a crime to not speak English, especially if such a person was born and bred in a region where his/her mother tongue was predominantly spoken.
I know a guy who is very good in mathematics but poor in spoken English. He is currently working for Total E&P. One of the question he was asked at the interview was, why did he fail English. He just told them the truth--he is from a poor background , a ghetto and they dont speak English at home. Gbam! The guy dey chop the oil money as I type this.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 12:15pm On Sep 26, 2012
cedaraustine: Blue Diva..plz dt allow dis thread 2 die..i remember one thread where pple became antagonistic and u went back to delete all ur post and discontinued posting der..plz any more tips for us
Guy na wa 4u o. Are u begging for work? I know the thread you referring to and I also made it known to her that her that her intentions were right but her approach were wrong.

C'mon, this is a forum for goodness sake where we can learn from each other.

Despite being an HR person, how has that positively helped the average Nigerian? Well, her kind abound in Nigeria, the kinds that play 'god' just because the have been opportuned to be in a place. Either way, we don't know everything. Was it not her kind that came around and was helping to review people's CV and while stating areas that should be corrected?

Abegi...
Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 8:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
2sexy: Guy na wa 4u o. Are u begging for work? I know the thread you referring to and I also made it known to her that her that her intentions were right but her approach were wrong.

C'mon, this is a forum for goodness sake where we can learn from each other.

Despite being an HR person, how has that positively helped the average Nigerian? Well, her kind abound in Nigeria, the kinds that play 'god' just because the have been opportuned to be in a place. Either way, we don't know everything. Was it not her kind that came around and was helping to review people's CV and while stating areas that should be corrected?

Abegi...

i get our point though laughing along as i read, she has given me my due of respect when she stopped exchanging words with Bludeville when i requested... i acknowledge the fact that she knows her turf and wanted tips besides i was trying to break up the tension with regards to "an" or "a" HR person, trying to give the topic life(basically)...she's not as bad as the image you painted,it's just her temperament ..try and understand...
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 9:40pm On Sep 26, 2012
cedaraustine:

i get our point though laughing along as i read, she has given me my due of respect when she stopped exchanging words with Bludeville when i requested... i acknowledge the fact that she knows her turf and wanted tips besides i was trying to break up the tension with regards to "an" or "a" HR person, trying to give the topic life(basically)...she's not as bad as the image you painted,it's just her temperament ..try and understand...
I understand it's her temperament... And to be frank, I respect women who are self-dependent and are confident. She exude that but over doing certain things would make people perceive you in a bad image.

Imagine here, someone already classified her as a snob. Why? Attitude is everything. No matter her position in life, she doesn't know everything. But she seem to portray herself as one that does.

I am not saying I need a tip by force o, time is money. If she choose not to share her knowledge, so be it. I could find articles on the internet to guide me. I am not one of those that were fortunate to attend the best schools you find around, but due to curiousity, taste for knowledge and self dependence, I developed myself, at least to an acceptable level. So, basically, I aint forcing her to give any tip.

But here is someone who complain often about graduates produced by our institutions. Albeit, she is better than they.
My question is, what in her own effort has she done to correct that? The answer is right under your nose.
Oh... The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born.

Now you say she is not as bad as I painted it... I didn't say she is either... And, again, attitude is everything.

Imagine her calling someone whom she has NEVER met in real life "jobless" Bro, being educated isn't just about putting words together to form strings of sentences. It goes beyond that.

Would she say she made it all by her own efforts? No man is island. Someone, somewhere, directly or indirectly sacrificed his/her time in helping her. Why doesn't she show that gratitude by doing the same?

Honestly, when I saw that headline, I felt that I could learn a thing or two. Alas! The opposite is the case. And she even said the person is better off riding 'okada'. I would want to say that she seem to take pleasure in seeing that people are unemployed.

I belong to an international forum where mostly Americans and other nationals hang out. Do you know what I learnt from this folks in my two years of being a member there? There is power in sharing knowledge, no wonder they are developed and we are UNDER-developed.

Here in this fvcked up country when you give some people an inche, they take a mile. They play 'god'.

Well, it's her time and let her enjoy it while it last.

P.S BlueDIVA, I no hate you o. We are all entitled to our opinions and I just gave mine. Peace!
Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 26, 2012
Imagine here, someone already classified her as a snob. Why? Attitude is everything. No matter her position in life, she doesn't know everything. But she seem to portray herself as one that does.

I am not saying I need a tip by force o, time is money. If she choose not to share her knowledge, so be it. I could find articles on the internet to guide me. I am not one of those that were fortunate to attend the best schools you find around, but due to curiousity, taste for knowledge and self dependence, I developed myself, at least to an acceptable level. So, basically, I aint forcing her to give any tip.

But here is someone who complain often about graduates produced by our institutions. Albeit, she is better than they.
My question is, what in her own effort has she done to correct that? The answer is right under your nose.
Oh... The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born.

Now you say she is not as bad as I painted it... I didn't say she is either... And, again, attitude is everything.

Imagine her calling someone whom she has NEVER met in real life "jobless" Bro, being educated isn't just about putting words together to form strings of sentences. It goes beyond that.

Would she say she made it all by her own efforts? No man is island. Someone, somewhere, directly or indirectly sacrificed his/her time in helping her. Why doesn't she show that gratitude by doing the same?

Honestly, when I saw that headline, I felt that I could learn a thing or two. Alas! The opposite is the case. And she even said the person is better off riding 'okada'. I would want to say that she seem to take pleasure in seeing that people are unemployed.

I belong to an international forum where mostly Americans and other nationals hang out. Do you know what I learnt from this folks in my two years of being a member there? There is power in sharing knowledge, no wonder they are developed and we are UNDER-developed.

Here in this fvcked up country when you give some people an inche, they take a mile. They play 'god'.

Well, it's her time and let her enjoy it while it last.

P.S BlueDIVA, I no hate you o. We are all entitled to our opinions and I just gave mine
. Peace![/quote]

grin grin
Guy u funny..lol...take it easy....
Re: Invalid Job Applications by AjanleKoko: 10:33pm On Sep 26, 2012
Scape-goating.
Nigerians are great at it grin
Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 26, 2012

grin grin grin
i tire o..let's discuss sumtin else abeg
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 3:12am On Sep 27, 2012

I no use anybody as scape-goatty o o o. hia! ANyway, this na last time on this topic. off to business section! care to join me? The door is wide opened.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 6:00pm On Sep 27, 2012
cedaraustine:

grin grin grin
i tire o..let's discuss sumtin else abeg
I wish you good luck on waiting for the tip. I hope you don't grow white beards. I call a spade a spade. She did that in the "Total Thread" which you referred to. Good luck!
Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 30, 2012
Na wa o, is BlueDiva that bad? shocked
Maybe i should stick to the sports section where we throw words around and it's no big deal.

I don't think i deserve all the slander.

All i said is that a poor application leads to disqualification.
Someone went ahead and asked me to look beyond the grammar and hunt out talent.

Am i a football scout that goes looking for talent?

We don't believe in a reality check in this part of the world, we would rather daydream.
No wonder the number of gullible folks keep increasing.

Everybody would have been hailing me if i had asked for cv's to be dropped here and 5,000 naira to be paid into my bank account for a guaranteed job.
Drop free tips and they would call you names. . . undecided

If you want a polite person, better hire an English butler.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 7:14am On Sep 30, 2012
Talking about tips. . .

When writing a cover letter, the applicant must ensure that the letter is SPECIFIC to the job being applied for. Many applicant's just write a general cover letter without relating it to the job being applied for and that is one sure way of getting your application into the dustbin or the shredder. People tend to borrow cover letter of friends without modifying it. There is no one size fits all for a cover letter.

An applicant should always try and visit the website of the company they are applying to. That is if the company has a website. One should know what the company is all about. It's also very good to know what the mission, vision and values of the company is.

Again, keep your English simple. Do not write or use words you are not sure of their meaning. Do not try to impress. That is one of the problems the above applicants had at the beginning of this thread. Now, grammatical errors can be tolerated. For example, using 'is' instead of 'was' or using past tense instead of present tense. Outright incoherent statements will get your application into a shredder because there is no communication.

Following simple instructions during application is another problem. When they say a hand written letter it has to be hand written and not typed. When they say coloured passport with white background, don't go and use a red background saying it doesn't matter.
If you are asked for a one page cv, please modify your cv to become one page. When asked for excel, word or pdf format for your application, it has to be exactly as instructed. If you are asked to write a letter not more than 200 words don't go above 200 words, you can write less than but don't go above 200.

Not following instructions will see your applications going into the shredder.

4 Likes

Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 30, 2012
Some other advice for applicants.
Please do not write qualifications you have not yet completed on your cv's without indicating.

For example, you see people still studying for an MBA writing MBA on their cv's without indicating that it is still in view or that their result isn't out.
You see people writing member of ICAN, CIPM etc without indicating that they are just student members.

The implication of this is that you will be shortlisted for the position applied for based on your qualification. On the screening day your credentials will be requested for and then you hear the applicant saying they are yet to finish the course. That means you were shortlisted for a wrong position which you are not qualified for and that will lead to disqualification.

Unfortunately, there might have been an opening which would have been suited for the applicant based on his/her current qualification.

4 Likes

Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 30, 2012
Thanks @BlueDiva
cheesy cheesy
Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 30, 2012
This thread was opened to show why applicants might not hear from the company even though they are qualified for the job opening.It is basically for the new applicant who just finished school.

I will be willing to answer more complex questions that an applicant might have.
Anything from the application process to the induction process.

2 Likes

Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 30, 2012
BlueDiva: This thread was opened to show why applicants might not hear from the company even though they are qualified for the job opening.It is basically for the new applicant who just finished school.

I will be willing to answer more complex questions that an applicant might have.
Anything from the application process to the induction process.

lol...BlueDiva dey dis 'kind'...2sexy..i dey wait 4 ur thoughts o... grin grin
Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 30, 2012
cedaraustine:

lol...BlueDiva dey dis 'kind'...2sexy..i dey wait 4 ur thoughts o... grin grin

Stop this kiddy nonsense.
I'm not interested in all the back and forth thingy you guys are doing here.

1 Like

Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 5:32pm On Sep 30, 2012
BlueDIVA, BlueDIVA, BlueDIVA, BlueDIVA. Go Girl, Go Girl,Go Girl...
Re: Invalid Job Applications by nitrogen(m): 11:14pm On Sep 30, 2012
Very 'kerezi' thread! bluediva, please carry go jare, you know what, our main problem in naija is that we always want sympathy , am not surprised sha, because most are victims of tradition and circumstances. Please better their lives by scolding them the more, or betterstill make them worst by sympathizing with them, but i can bet it that you prefer the former.
@sir AJ, lol at the 'scapegoat' thingy.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 12:08am On Oct 01, 2012
nitrogen: Very 'kerezi' thread! bluediva, please carry go jare, you know what, our main problem in naija is that we always want sympathy , am not surprised sha, because most are victims of tradition and circumstances. Please better their lives by scolding them the more, or betterstill make them worst by sympathizing with them, but i can bet it that you prefer the former.
@sir AJ, lol at the 'scapegoat' thingy.

I dey laff... psychology at work lol.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by debosky(m): 12:31pm On Oct 01, 2012

Aka shooting the messenger. cheesy

If I didn't know better, I'd think BD is responsible for both the scarcity of jobs and the poor applications she referenced.

Whether 80% or some other number, the message is clear - improvement (on a massive scale) is required.

If it were possible, I would ban text-speak first and foremost - it is a corrosive problem that is killing the ability of young people to express themselves. If you are not being charged by character, why continue to abbreviate in this senseless manner? undecided

Another piece of advice - avoid vagueness. I once had an interview fresh out of school and my cv had something like 'excelling in my chosen field' (deliberately vague on my part as I was submitting cvs to a variety of companies) as my purpose. The interviewer promptly spotted it and called me out on it, asking me what my 'chosen field' meant. . .of course I was caught unawares. He gave me some good advice to remove such language from future cvs.

I didn't get any further interviews (that was the 2nd/3rd stage) for the job but at least I learned a valuable lesson.

3 Likes

Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 4:38pm On Oct 01, 2012
At least you got an advice, didnt you? what was the result of that advice? A better CV presentation. That's all I am saying.

2 Likes

Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 04, 2012
BlueDiva:

Stop this kiddy nonsense.
I'm not interested in all the back and forth thingy you guys are doing here.

cry cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Admissions To Study On Scholarships For Master's And Phd. Possible? / About Nigeria Institute Of Safety Professionals Courses And Trainings / Foreign Newspapers And Industry Magazines Can Help Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.