Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,852 members, 7,851,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:01 AM

Invalid Job Applications - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Invalid Job Applications (4091 Views)

Job Assistance After 1020 Applications / Mckinsey 2014 - 2015 Applications / Do You Make This Simple Mistake In Your Job Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2012
BlueDiva: This thread was opened to show why applicants might not hear from the company even though they are qualified for the job opening.It is basically for the new applicant who just finished school.

I will be willing to answer more complex questions that an applicant might have.
Anything from the application process to the induction process.

Firstly, I will like to say thank you for the time you have spent in doing this and also giving room for more question.

My question is how do one tackle the area of experince in a CV considering the fact that he may not have had real industry experience in his chosen field?

I read some where that you are an HR for an oil coys but do not know which is.

If yes, how does one develope himself before taking up a job? It was toward the end of my program that I noticed that some software where used to carry various field operation. But all along, lecturers would just come to class and talk as if everything is manually done.

My major problem is developing myself. I was nursing the idea of even doing internship with any of the oil servicing companies. At this stage , I am really not so much interested in the pay, but the experience which is lacking.

What would you advice?

I am willing to do anything to make this happen. I want what I know to speak for me and not the grade on my cert.

Anyone can also answer this for me ooo since Bludiva might very busy at the moment.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 05, 2012
2sexy:
Firstly, I will like to say thank you for the time you have spent in doing this and also giving room for more question.

My question is how do one tackle the area of experince in a CV considering the fact that he may not have had real industry experience in his chosen field?

If yes, how does one develope himself before taking up a job? It was toward the end of my program that I noticed that some software where used to carry various field operation. But all along, lecturers would just come to class and talk as if everything is manually done.

My major problem is developing myself. I was nursing the idea of even doing internship with any of the oil servicing companies. At this stage , I am really not so much interested in the pay, but the experience which is lacking.

What would you advice?

I am willing to do anything to make this happen. I want what I know to speak for me and not the grade on my cert.

Anyone can also answer this for me ooo since Bludiva might very busy at the moment.

1. When writing a cv, it is advice-able to include any form of experience be it Internship or NYSC, it still gives a slight edge over the applicant that has no experience at all. Some jobs are for experienced people, a fresh graduate will be wasting his time applying for such. In other words, fresh graduates should apply for entry level jobs.

2. Developing yourself should start right from the time one is a student. Almost every professional and IT course can be done while one is still in school. The trick is to start early. A graduate who just finished his youth service and is already a qualified chartered accountant and is applying for the job of an accountant will definitely edge out the average fresh graduate of accounting applying for that same job.
I advice graduates who don't have jobs yet to register for a course that relates to his career path while applying to get a job. For example, a student member of ICAN applying for the post of an accountant stands a better chance than an applicant without any ICAN experience.

3. Doing internship is not a bad idea but most companies in Nigeria will hardly allow just anybody come into their company in the name of internship. I will advice you try approaching some of the smaller oil servicing firms and ask if you can intern with them.
I advice you write a letter to any of the company you have in mind stating that you are willing to do internship with them without pay and your sole purpose is to gain experience.

4.I would also add that most organizations will train you when they employ you. What you should bother about is meeting the basic requirements, ie age, qualification, grade etc. You don't have to bother much about not knowing software's used. Every new intake passes through structured training program. The major problem is getting into an organization first.

2 Likes

Re: Invalid Job Applications by AjanleKoko: 10:53am On Oct 05, 2012
2sexy:

What would you advice?

Ahn ahn!
After all your long sanctimonious lectures. Ashey you sef need advice.
Naijas sha. A rare breed of Kontirimen grin
Re: Invalid Job Applications by ecolime(m): 3:15pm On Oct 05, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Ahn ahn!
After all your long sanctimonious lectures. Ashey you sef need advice.
Naijas sha. A rare breed of Kontirimen grin
Hahahahah.. ROFlMAO. Na everybody want better thing..
Sincerely speaking, the guy was only being real and frank. We all need each other.

@Bluediva: Thanks for the enlightenment, I've learnt so much. God bless you.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 6:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
ecolime:
Hahahahah.. ROFlMAO. Na everybody want better thing..
Sincerely speaking, the guy was only being real and frank. We all need each other.

@Bluediva: Thanks for the enlightenment, I've learnt so much. God bless you.

Thank you o jare...
Re: Invalid Job Applications by 2sexy(m): 6:28pm On Oct 05, 2012
BlueDiva, thanks... I am on it.
Re: Invalid Job Applications by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 07, 2012
My boss, a rare woman did interview for two ladies. Although they had passed through two stages and we already thought they had the job when my MD said he didnt want them because of their diction I guess.

Well my boss haven known this, delayed this ladies for like four hours training them as if they had the job. She gave them TP & lunch money. Told them to go on break & even come back. She later released them afterwards.

afterwards, she told me the reason she spent four hours on them was because eventhough they didnt get the job, she wanted them to leave with something & they did.

That is an HR person. Eventhough its not necessary, I think its the passionate part of her choosing the hr career that did that.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NUPENG Suspends Strike, Work Resumes At Total Blending plant / Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? / Admissions To Study On Scholarships For Master's And Phd. Possible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.