Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,366 members, 7,826,438 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Why Are You A Writer - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Are You A Writer (1492 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview / Free N5000 For A Writer Here Every Month! Click To See How! / The Women In A Writer's Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are You A Writer by deols(f): 4:14pm On Jan 25, 2012
I love to write and love to make money too. I could have been a writer but sometimes, I think what if no one finds my books worthy enough. Eventually, writing is only a hobby and nothing more. Have you considered a different profession or in one?? why exactly are you a writer
Re: Why Are You A Writer by olulu(m): 2:22pm On Jan 26, 2012
I write because I was born to write, getting paid for it is just an added bonus.
I can never stop writing, just like I can never stop breathing even if I hold my breath
Re: Why Are You A Writer by deols(f): 2:35pm On Jan 26, 2012
^^ wow! that is amazing
Re: Why Are You A Writer by thiscounts(m): 1:45pm On Jan 30, 2012
Love for writing would compel u to write and and the purpose for which u've decided to be a writer would give you the strength to carry on against all odds.I'm a writer because I can't run a way from my innerself when it impregnates me with ideas,I just have to put it down or else I'm looking for trouble of not being able to concentrate on any other things.

All I have to do is hold my pen on the paper and listen to the voice in my head it dictates it and enjoy it as if I'm watching my favourite movie. cool cool cool
Re: Why Are You A Writer by deols(f): 5:49am On Feb 01, 2012
^^this is very interesting. your passion for it is the driving force
Re: Why Are You A Writer by maclatunji: 7:24am On Feb 01, 2012
deols:

I love to write and love to make money too. I could have been a writer but sometimes, I think what if no one finds my books worthy enough. Eventually, writing is only a hobby and nothing more. Have you considered a different profession or in one?? why exactly are you a writer

I am not sure why I write but without seeking to be arrogant, I think it just comes naturally. Anybody can write, if you went through primary and secondary school and passed your exams without cheating, I can definitely say you are on your way to being a writer because you had to think and articulate your thoughts to pass.

I read a lot as a teenager and those bits of information stick with you as you grow older. I write to share information, mould other people's thoughts and make changes that I think can make the world a better place.

Deols, I am not going to buy your books if you write them #Joking.

If you ever need friendly input into your work let me know- I would be glad to help.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by Nobody: 7:34am On Feb 01, 2012
I started writing as a child primarily as a means of non-verbal expression. At 13, an english teacher would always have us write 2-3 pages on a random topic once a week. Known as a very strict grader, it was a serious competition to see who could score anything close to 30/50! shocked His encouragement and constructive criticism eventually led to several of those essays being published in the form of a small novel in my penultimate yr in secondary school . . . ended up being adopted as required literature text for secondary schools in Ogun state then in the late 90s.

Now i mainly write science reports! grin No time for fairy tales again.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by maclatunji: 7:46am On Feb 01, 2012
^Nice, a live example of the point I was making. You only cheat yourself by cheating at school.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by Switup: 7:14pm On Feb 01, 2012
For me, i was BORN to write. I started writing from the very first time i learnt how to a pen. Back then mum and dad thought i was 'off-the-hook' cus i was always writing and tearing. At one point i was warned never to write on any paper anymore(except for school work). Well as man would have it, things change when i was awarded best writer in SS1. Honestly from then i've supa-duba.
TO SUM IT ALL UP, I WAS BORN A WRITER
Re: Why Are You A Writer by maclatunji: 8:10pm On Feb 01, 2012
Swit up:

For me, i was BORN to write. I started writing from the very first time i learnt how to a pen. Back then mum and dad thought i was 'off-the-hook' cus i was always writing and tearing. At one point i was warned never to write on any paper anymore(except for school work). Well as man would have it, things change when i was awarded best writer in SS1. Honestly from then i've supa-duba.

Just take it easy hot-shot, I can almost feel the energy in your post. Your write-up doesn't look 'supa-duba' to me O. I wouldn't like to run a brother down but I have to be honest for you to improve.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 01, 2012
Swit up:

For me, i was BORN to write. I started writing from the very first time i learnt how to a pen. Back then mum and dad thought i was 'off-the-hook' cus i was always writing and tearing. At one point i was warned never to write on any paper anymore(except for school work). Well as man would have it, things change when i was awarded best writer in SS1. Honestly from then[b] i've supa-duba[/b].

grin grin grin grin without the shadow of a doubt bro!
Re: Why Are You A Writer by Switup: 6:34am On Feb 02, 2012
L.A.W.D OF M.E.R.C.Y SO SOME OF YOU ARE STILL REFERING TO ME AS A DUDE(SMH)

LEMME USE THIS THREAD TO OFFICALLY TELL YOU THAT SWIT UP IS A KOKOLET, A BABE, A SUGEE AND NOT A DUDE. I dey vex ooo. WHAT IS DUDE-ISH ABOUT ME SEF?? MY USER NAME OR MY POST

(sobing) Athink all of you na are na calling me a boy, i wi tel ma mummy she wil not buy distict and carpison fo uuuuuuu. Oya te me soyi na and begin to address as d SWITEST BABE u can ever think of*** IM WAITING***
Re: Why Are You A Writer by Switup: 6:43am On Feb 02, 2012
O LAWD OF MERCY; CAN YOU IMAGINE THE OODLES OF GOOFY ERRORS I MADE WHILE TYPINGsad
what i meant to say was I'VE BEEN SUPA-DUBA not I'VE SUPA-DUBA. ooh so is that d reason some of you are already laffin ur a**es out. Haha! I know those gaffes were silly bt take it easy on me naaaooo WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES
grin cool
Re: Why Are You A Writer by deols(f): 7:03am On Feb 02, 2012
maclatunji:

I am not sure why I write but without seeking to be arrogant, I think it just comes naturally. Anybody can write, if you went through primary and secondary school and passed your exams without cheating, I can definitely say you are on your way to being a writer because you had to think and articulate your thoughts to pass.

I read a lot as a teenager and those bits of information stick with you as you grow older. I write to share information, mould other people's thoughts and make changes that I think can make the world a better place.

Deols, I am not going to buy your books if you write them #Joking.

If you ever need friendly input into your work let me know- I would be glad to help.

I agree everyone can write but the line between a writer and every other literate is the ability to co ordinate those thoughts into something captivating enough for people to keep asking for more.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by deols(f): 7:12am On Feb 02, 2012
davidylan:

I started writing as a child primarily as a means of non-verbal expression. At 13, an english teacher would always have us write 2-3 pages on a random topic once a week. Known as a very strict grader, it was a serious competition to see who could score anything close to 30/50! shocked His encouragement and constructive criticism eventually led to several of those essays being published in the form of a small novel in my penultimate yr in secondary school . . . ended up being adopted as required literature text for secondary schools in Ogun state then in the late 90s.

you must be getting royalties on the book then. Nice to hear.

Teachers play a role in my love for writing too even though my Mum had always encouraged me to do that.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by deols(f): 7:16am On Feb 02, 2012
Swit up:

O LAWD OF MERCY; CAN YOU IMAGINE THE OODLES OF GOOFY ERRORS I MADE WHILE TYPINGsad
what i meant to say was I'VE BEEN SUPA-DUBA not I'VE SUPA-DUBA. ooh so is that d reason some of you are already laffin ur a**es out. Haha! I know those gaffes were silly bt take it easy on me naaaooo WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES
grin cool

u'r right. we all make mistakes. were u trying to say super-duper?
Re: Why Are You A Writer by maclatunji: 8:51am On Feb 02, 2012
Swit up:

L.A.W.D OF M.E.R.C.Y SO SOME OF YOU ARE STILL REFERING TO ME AS A DUDE(SMH)

LEMME USE THIS THREAD TO OFFICALLY TELL YOU THAT SWIT UP IS A KOKOLET, A BABE, A SUGEE AND NOT A DUDE. I dey vex ooo. WHAT IS DUDE-ISH ABOUT ME SEF?? MY USER NAME OR MY POST

(sobing) Athink all of you na are na calling me a boy, i wi tel ma mummy she wil not buy distict and carpison fo uuuuuuu. Oya te me soyi na and begin to address as d SWITEST BABE u can ever think of*** IM WAITING***

Sorry about the mix-up, you ought to edit your profile to indicate your gender. We will take your word as for being the 'SWITEST BABE'.

Errors are forgiveable of course, so there is no biggie there.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by maclatunji: 8:55am On Feb 02, 2012
deols:

I agree everyone can write but the line between a writer and every other literate [B]person[/B] is the ability to coordinate those thoughts into something captivating enough for people to keep asking for more.

So what exactly are you trying to write?
Re: Why Are You A Writer by Switup: 3:44pm On Feb 02, 2012
maclatunji:

Sorry about the mix-up, you ought to edit your profile to indicate your gender. We will take your word as for being the 'SWITEST BABE'.

Errors are forgiveable of course, so there is no biggie there.

your sorry is solely accepted. But i dont know why i dont want to indicate ma gender. I feel peeps shuld b able to figure that out frm ma posts, but its not working. What do u think?? Do you think i speak like a dude

deols:

u'r right. we all make mistakes. were u trying to say super-duper?
yes ooo. Honestly i didnt even know that my way of spellin 'super-duper' was wrong. Can you imagine!!! Anywho thnkz a lotz.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by maclatunji: 3:52pm On Feb 02, 2012
Swit up:

your sorry is solely accepted. But i dont know why i dont want to indicate ma gender. I feel peeps shuld b able to figure that out frm ma posts, but its not working. What do u think?? Do you think i speak like a dude
yes ooo. Honestly i didnt even know that my way of spellin 'super-duper' was wrong. Can you imagine!!! Anywho thnkz a lotz.

@bolded, your first post on this thread felt like what an egotistical 18-21 year old man would say. So, you may have a point there. Seriously though, indicating your gender is to your own advantage- I believe.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by Switup: 4:59pm On Feb 02, 2012
^^^ OMG this is serious. Even in reality(ie outside NL) peeps say i speak lik a dude shocked shocked shocked. Anywho thnkz for d advise
Re: Why Are You A Writer by deols(f): 5:32pm On Feb 02, 2012
maclatunji:

So what exactly are you trying to write?

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. I didnt say I want to write. I write already.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by maclatunji: 5:41pm On Feb 02, 2012
deols:

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. I didnt say I want to write. I write already.

I know you are a writer (I have seen your dainty blog tongue ).

deols:

I love to write and love to make money too. [b]I could have been a writer but sometimes, I think what if no one finds my books worthy enough. Eventually, writing is only a hobby and nothing more. [/b]Have you considered a different profession or in one?? why exactly are you a writer

I am only asking: what will it take for writing to become more than a hobby to you?

I get paid for my writing skillls (articles, reports etc. no fiction yet)
Re: Why Are You A Writer by deebayour(m): 2:19pm On Mar 01, 2012
I write because I have soo much stuff floating in my head and I just want to empty them somewhere, where I can watch each idea take a distinct form. Like Tolstoy, if I do not write, I may go crazy. Money , fame, etc are all secondary issues.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by deols(f): 9:53pm On Mar 01, 2012
^^talk about doing what you love first and the rewards trickling in later. Many successful people talk of the love for what they do.
Re: Why Are You A Writer by deols(f): 10:05pm On Mar 01, 2012
davidylan:

you did make a point about your profession taking over. just what my first post is about. I'd have liked some joggling between both

(1) (Reply)

Adventures Of Jonny (free-write-rhyme) / Tears Dropped In My Eyes When I Saw This / Hillary Clinton Twitter Bio Saga: Chimamanda Adichie Finally Reacts To Criticism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.