Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,240 members, 7,829,438 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls (10175 Views)

Kaduna, Warri, Port Harcourt Refineries Now Produce 6.7m Litres Of Fuel Daily / Kaduna Refinery Begins Daily Supply Of 3.2 Million Litres Of Petrol / Kaduna Refinery To Save Nigeria $5.33 Million Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Stealthy(m): 2:55pm On Jan 26, 2012
Kobojunkie:

It would probably be more sensible if we had information on how much of the daily consumption is supplied from local refineries.
The govt says the refineries currently process bout 170k barrels a day from Warri & PH. Thats about 13 million litres refined in nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Kobojunkie: 3:01pm On Jan 26, 2012
Stealthy:

The govt says the refineries currently process bout 170k barrels a day from Warri & PH. Thats about 13 million litres refined in nigeria.

That still does not tell us how much of what is consumed in Nigeria is refined in Nigeria. Assume the 33,000,000 litres a day number is accurate. How much of that is from local sources? That is the question. Processing 170k barrels does not give us much to go on here.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by dozai: 3:24pm On Jan 26, 2012
PA1982:

seal777
Yes.
In any case, I'll be interested in seeing just how the various figures of petroleum consumption parse.

Well said my bros. I have just made some calculations myself. within my area in phc, we do have at least minimum 8hrs of power daily since 0ctober 2011. i substituted the remaining hrs with an inverter. u can imagine since then, i have not spent a dime on my gen that consumes almost 20 liters of pms on a daily basis. which means for 2months i have not used 1200 liters. imagine what will happen when the power supply is regular.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by dozai: 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2012
PA1982:

seal777
Yes.
In any case, I'll be interested in seeing just how the various figures of petroleum consumption parse.

Well said my bros. I have just made some calculations myself. within my area in phc, we do have at least minimum 8hrs of power daily since 0ctober 2011. i substituted the remaining hrs with an inverter. u can imagine since then, i have not spent a dime on my gen that consumes almost 20 liters of pms on a daily basis. which means for 2months i have not used 1200 liters. imagine what will happen when the power supply is regular.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Stealthy(m): 3:56pm On Jan 26, 2012
Kobojunkie:

That still does not tell us how much of what is consumed in Nigeria is refined in Nigeria. Assume the 33,000,000 litres a day number is accurate. How much of that is from local sources? That is the question. Processing 170k barrels does not give us much to go on here.

Can't you read? I said 13m litres is refined in Nigeria!

170k barrels of crude will produce 13m litres of petrol (plus other components of course)!
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Stealthy(m): 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2012
170k barrels of oil equals 27m litres of oil.

When that is refined, you get 13m litres of petrol (and of course you also get diesel, kerosene, LPFO, etc)
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Beaf: 4:12pm On Jan 26, 2012
I just wanna repeat it again for emphasis:
By the time the subsidy brouhaha is done, We will find that our daily consumption would have dropped rather sharply and mysteriously to about 15 or 16 million litres from the 35million today. You know why? Every figure in the petroleum market is heavily padded and our money does Houdini tricks into some fat basta'rds pockets.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by felixedet(m): 4:39pm On Jan 26, 2012
All this are lies and nothing can be call a lie more than this.
They are so shameless.

To hell with all of them.

Bunch of looters, it shows they are all from poor homes, that's why they are stealing Nigerian money.
May all their bank account and pockets and vaults be damaged permanently in Jesus name.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Kobojunkie: 4:57pm On Jan 26, 2012
Stealthy:

Can't you read? I said 13m litres is refined in Nigeria!

170k barrels of crude will produce 13m litres of petrol (plus other components of course)!

Let me help you. Of the 13m litres refined daily, how much of it is makes it into the daily stream in Nigeria? Hope that helps you better understand this. I am not asking how much is processed daily, but how much of the local production is fed into the stream daily.

Also, would it be possible to provide a source for the 13 million figure. Cause it is hard to believe that only 3 or 4 refineries provide about 28% of daily consumption, if we were to assume 13 million made it into the flow daily
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by alexleo(m): 5:26pm On Jan 26, 2012
jajad:

Mumu poster. "Aunty, they gave me F9 in Matts."

Thanks a lot. Does that make you happy now? Oya go back to the issue being discussed here and make your contribution Mr 'intelligent'.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Stealthy(m): 5:29pm On Jan 26, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Let me help you. Of the 13m litres refined daily, how much of it is makes it into the daily stream in Nigeria? Hope that helps you better understand this. I am not asking how much is processed daily, but how much of the local production is fed into the stream daily.

Also, would it be possible to provide a source for the 13 million figure. Cause it is hard to believe that only 3 or 4 refineries provide about 28% of daily consumption, if we were to assume 13 million made it into the flow daily
I will assume ALL of the 13m litres of petrol available from the refineries is consumed in Nigeria, since we all agree that Nigeria consumes more than that.

So 13m litres is fed into the stream daily from our refineries.

The refineries don't work at full capacity, don't forget. The refineries have a combined capacity of 445k barrels of oil a day. Kaduna doesn't refine anything since the pipeline was blown up a couple of years ago. Warri and PH get 170k barrels of oil a day. 1 barrel of oil will yield 75l of petrol (and other products in diff quantities). Do the math and you get 13m litres of petrol from the working refineries. Note that the working refineries also don't work at 100%.

If all refineries were working at 100%, we would produce slightly over 33m litres of petrol in Nigeria. From my knowledge, we really consume about 23m litres of petrol a day. We won't need to import anything if the refineries were working and petrol is not smuggled across the borders.

Note that barrels of oil are different from litres of petrol.

Source: I work in the industry, so I know a bit.
There's a link to an article below, where NNPC explained wht happens to the 445,000 allocation they collect (or buy, whichever version you believe).
http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/nnpc-accounts-its-crude-oil-allocation

Hope I've answered your questions.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by alexleo(m): 5:31pm On Jan 26, 2012
Some filling stations in this country sale a truck of fuel for over a week, while some sale a truck of fuel once in a month. This therefore does not add up to all these bogus claims by our ministers. Something is being hidden from us and soon the wind will blow and foul nyash go open.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by alexleo(m): 5:36pm On Jan 26, 2012
Stealthy:

I will assume ALL of the 13m litres of petrol available from the refineries is consumed in Nigeria, since we all agree that Nigeria consumes more than that.

The refineries don't work at full capacity, don't forget. The refineries have a combined capacity of 445k barrels of oil a day. Kaduna doesn't refine anything since the pipeline was blown up a couple of years ago. Warri and PH get 170k barrels of oil a day. 1 barrel of oil will yield 75l of petrol (and other products in diff quantities). [/b]Do the math and you get 13m [b]litres of petrol from the working refineries. Note that the working refineries also don't work at 100%.

If all refineries were working at 100%, we would produce slightly over 33m litres of petrol in Nigeria. From my knowledge, we really consume about 23m litres of petrol a day. We won't need to import anything if the refineries were working and petrol is not smuggled across the borders.

There's a link to an article below, where NNPC explained wht happens to the 445,000 allocation they collect (or buy, whichever version you believe).

The other products are they being dashed out to people dont they sell them and make money? If they sell them, wont they need to also give account of those other products too?
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by faithin9ja: 6:47pm On Jan 26, 2012
I am not Beaf's brother before the insults start flying, but he has made the point - all the figures in the oil industry are FAKE!!! hence the need to stop subsidy. If you allow bona-fide business people to bring in the refined petrol or indeed refine themselves in their own refineries, there will be no over inflating of figures because nobody will import more petrol than we actually need, bad business.

Croyton refinery in the UK just went bust yesterday, they produce 10% of fuel used in the UK. The world has changed, the Croyton re finery was owned by Mobil, then I think BP but it was sold in 2007 to a Swiss company, the big oil majors no longer wish to own refineries but these are now owned by standalone businesses. Private refineries in Nigeria is the way to go, great business opportunity without yeye government interference.

very soon the position of minister of petroleum will be as redundant as minster of communication (years ago for those too young to remember the minister of communication was one of the most sought after government positions)
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Amacaco: 6:53pm On Jan 26, 2012
The duo of Ngozi Iweala and Dieziani are claiming respectively that we  consume 35 million litres and 59 million litres of fuel on daily basis. Now what this means is that over one hundred thousand tankers will be lifting fuel every day with each state getting not less than 2,500 tankers on daily basis.a tanker loads a maximum of about 33 thousand litres of fuel each. This also means that as over hundred tankers are taking off from depot today another one hundred and something thousand tankers will be there now waiting to lift the one of tomrrow. It continues like that until the previous one hundred thousand tankers off loads and returns to depot.  How real does this rooster and bull story sound?

if one is to do your calculation properly, I think it will run like this:
No of litres consumed per day- 59,000,000 litres
No of Litres per tanker- 33,000 litres
No of tankers of fuel per day- 1788 tankers(approx)
No of LG areas in Nigeria      - 774
Average delivery for each LGA-  2.31  Tankers

How many filling stations are on the average in each Local Government Area? Based on the above, it is not likely the two Ministers are telling "rooster and bull story"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Jan 26, 2012
Stealthy:

I think it is a huge leap to assume that 13 M litres are produced, let alone that all that is available for daily consumption. That is why I would rather we look for the facts, and not manufactured truths

Stealthy:

The refineries don't work at full capacity, don't forget. The refineries have a combined capacity of 445k barrels of oil a day. Kaduna doesn't refine anything since the pipeline was blown up a couple of years ago. Warri and PH get 170k barrels of oil a day. 1 barrel of oil will yield 75l of petrol (and other products in diff quantities). Do the math and you get 13m litres of petrol from the working refineries. Note that the working refineries also don't work at 100%.

a) The Capacity of all of our refineries are still put at about ~40 something % capacity by some analysts leads one to immediately question the 13 million daily processing scale. Back in the 80's when our daily consumption was not even close to 1/3rd of what it is today, and our refineries were at about 50%(at least warri was) we still were not able to supply 50% of that. Now I am to believe that at 40% these same refineries produce more than 25% of daily use??

b) Yes, they may have a combined capacity of 400K plus barrels of oil a day but that does not help in answering this in no wise

c)  I would rather not do the math but find facts that state how much we actually produce in the way of daily production.

Stealthy:

I think your math needs some work but that said, I think I would rather be fed FACTUAL numbers than Numbers pulled from data that itself is probably cooked up.  Don't worry about me . . .  I am fine if I don't get an answer on this for some more weeks.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by samstradam: 2:25am On Jan 27, 2012
Walemaj:

Lol! If you believe these moro.ns, then Nigeria consumes more petrol than India, brazil, Indonesia (all countries with bigger populations and bigger land masses than we do). In fact, if you believe the govt figures, Nigeria will be the 4th highest consumer of petrol after US, China & Japan!

And I just heard that in Ghana, they're demanding for a re-instatement of the fuel subsidy that was removed in December, so much for us copying subsidy removal from Ghana (note also that in Ghana, the increase in price was only 15% not, 100+%)

GBAM!!
This comparison is all that really matters.I mean intelligent people will know that 3 main factors will dictate oil consumption:
1. Productivity of your economy
2. Population
3. Weather Conditions
so seeing as the productivity of our economy is pretty crap, we don't have winters here and we're really only the 8/9th most populous country in the world , we have no business being in the top 5 gas guzzling countries, let alone top 20. I mean how can any educated man believe Nigeria consumes more oil or even comes close to a Russia?

Ok some will say the cheap price of oil in this country (which is not relative to wages) and our electricity problem could explain this, but then how come Egypt, with the second largest population in Africa, a better economy than ours, and far cheaper oil prices than Nigeria is not joining us in this infamy. I would love it if someone could put that up so we can revel in the wickedness of our government and these fake technocrats.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by dustydee: 7:35am On Jan 27, 2012
Most refineries yield a maximum of 35% petrol so per barrel you get 0.35x158liters=55.3liters and not 75liters.
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Stealthy(m): 9:20am On Jan 27, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I think it is a huge leap to assume that 13 M litres are produced, let alone that all that is available for daily consumption. That is why I would rather we look for the facts, and not manufactured truths

a) The Capacity of all of our refineries are still put at about ~40 something % capacity by some analysts leads one to immediately question the 13 million daily processing scale. Back in the 80's when our daily consumption was not even close to 1/3rd of what it is today, and our refineries were at about 50%(at least warri was) we still were not able to supply 50% of that. Now I am to believe that at 40% these same refineries produce more than 25% of daily use??

b) Yes, they may have a combined capacity of 400K plus barrels of oil a day but that does not help in answering this in no wise

c)  I would rather not do the math but find facts that state how much we actually produce in the way of daily production.

I think your math needs some work but that said, I think I would rather be fed FACTUAL numbers than Numbers pulled from data that itself is probably cooked up.  Don't worry about me . . .  I am fine if I don't get an answer on this for some more weeks.

Lol! I don't understand you. I have used facts here. NNPC has given figures for the amount of crude that goes to the working refineries. I didn't manufacture the figures.

Everything I have written is factual, from NNPC quotes and converted using standard international estimates. I don't trust NNPC, but NNPC operates the refineries and they (or their auditors or DPR) are the only ones that can confirm how much the working refineries produce.

You talk about the 80s, but the new PH refinery was commissioned in 1989, so you may be wrong in your assumptions,

Where does my math need working? Oya show me.

I also don't understand your logic that if we produce 13m litres locally, it will not all be available for local consumption - what happens to it then? We consume  lot more than 13m litres anyway,

dustydee:

Most refineries yield a maximum of 35% petrol so per barrel you get 0.35x158liters=55.3liters and not 75liters.

See links below tht show that 1 barrel of oil will give about 75l of petrol. Oya show us the source of your own claim! Nairaland people sha!

http://www.txoga.org/articles/308/1/WHAT-A-BARREL-OF-CRUDE-OIL-MAKES
http://www.eia.gov/kids/energy.cfm?page=oil_home-basics
http://38.96.246.204/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=24&t=6
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Macsita: 6:02pm On Dec 05, 2014
What is your source of info?
Re: Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 05, 2014
Amacaco:
The duo of Ngozi Iweala and Dieziani are claiming respectively that we  consume 35 million litres and 59 million litres of fuel on daily basis. Now what this means is that over one hundred thousand tankers will be lifting fuel every day with each state getting not less than 2,500 tankers on daily basis.a tanker loads a maximum of about 33 thousand litres of fuel each. This also means that as over hundred tankers are taking off from depot today another one hundred and something thousand tankers will be there now waiting to lift the one of tomrrow. It continues like that until the previous one hundred thousand tankers off loads and returns to depot.  How real does this rooster and bull story sound?

if one is to do your calculation properly, I think it will run like this:
No of litres consumed per day- 59,000,000 litres
No of Litres per tanker- 33,000 litres
No of tankers of fuel per day- 1788 tankers(approx)
No of LG areas in Nigeria      - 774
Average delivery for each LGA-  2.31  Tankers

How many filling stations are on the average in each Local Government Area? Based on the above, it is not likely the two Ministers are telling "rooster and bull story"

Thanks for doing the maths.
The rest of them just believe "they must be lying" just based on sentiment.

The other day, one fellow was arguing that Nigeria has enough money to go round.
That even if government pay everybody N1,000,000 each, it will go round and remain.

Now, 170,000,000 x N1,000,000 = N170,000,000,000,000.
N170 Trillion approx $1 Trillion.

Some times, it is is just wisdom to ignore this people.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Is An Untruthful Finance Minister? / List Of States With Electoral Malpractices In 2011 Polls - Is Your State Among? / Sokoto Governorhip Election Results Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.