Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,373 members, 7,958,036 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 07:46 AM

Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra (5545 Views)

Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash / Fight Aganst Corruption Is Not Ethnic Based - Osinbajo / Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by aljharem(m): 8:28pm On Jan 25, 2012
The Anambra State Government has debunked claims that its ejection order on traders at the Head Bridge section of the Onitsha-Enugu Expressway is targeted at Hausa and Yoruba traders.

At a press briefing after State Executive Council Meeting in Awka on Tuesday, the Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Chief Maja Umeh, said the ejection order was meant to clear the way for the construction of service lanes and shoulders on that section of the road.

The Hausa and Yoruba traders at the goat markets, however, maintained that the ejection order had ethnic colouration.

Umeh said alternative sites had already been allocated to the traders, who refused to relocate.

Umeh said, “Following the commencement of beautification works on Km zero-three of the Enugu-Onitsha Expressway to complement the ongoing reconstruction work on the road as promised by Governor Peter Obi, it has become necessary to direct all the illegal occupants of the service lane and road shoulders to relocate immediately.

“These illegal occupants, especially those who have been allocated alternative locations like the goat sellers, 911 Lorry park users, and so on, are hereby directed to relocate to their sites immediately as their continuous stay there amounts to obstruction of the beautification exercise.

“The state government takes the beautification of the Bridge Head-Upper Iweka Roundabout very seriously since it is the main gateway into the state and will stop at nothing in bringing defaulters of this directive to order.”

The Hausa and Yoruba traders described the state government’s ejection order as “biased and ethnic motivated.”

They said they were legitimate tenants of the Federal Ministry of Housing and have valid receipts for payments for their allocations that would expire by 2014. They insisted that the plot to forcefully eject them by the state government was undemocratic.

The leaders of the traders, Chief Lateef Balogun, and Alhaji Tanimu Ibrahim, said the state government had concluded plans to lease the plot of land to a major transporter in Onitsha, adding that they were not given an alternative site to relocate to.

The trader leaders stated that the move to throw them out of the place of business they had occupied for over 40 years without a plan for compensation or relocation was a subtle way of sacking the Yoruba and Hausa communities in the state.

They recalled that the last time the state government tried to forcibly eject them with soldiers, 11 of the traders were killed.

They said, “What they are planning to do is to subtly sack us from the state but as Nigerians, we have the right to live and do business in any part of the country without fear of intimidation. We shall resist any plot to stampede us out of the market by agents of government over a flimsy excuse.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Parks and Markets, Chief Sylvester Nwaobualor, had said the move to eject the traders was not motivated by ethnic considerations but a measure to clean up the Bridge Head which is the gateway to the state.

http://www.punchng.com/news/hausa-yoruba-traders-ejection-not-ethnic-anambra/
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jan 25, 2012
Hmmm
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by Chyz2: 8:39pm On Jan 25, 2012
They tried to get us to have reprisals against the Hausa. . . . . .It didn't work

They tried to get us to riot during the fuel subsidy removal. . . . It didn't work

They repeatedly peddled ethnically bias news abt the killings of Igbos so we can declare war, That failed too,

So there next line in action is too build up lies and turn the out majority groups against Ndigbo by this new cooked up story to try to repeat a civil war against eaterners, It will fail too.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by peckhamboi: 9:06pm On Jan 25, 2012
Chyz*:

They tried to get us to have reprisals against the Hausa. . . . . .It didn't work

They tried to get us to riot during the fuel subsidy removal. . . . It didn't work

They repeatedly peddled ethnically bias news abt the killings of Igbos so we can declare war, That failed too,

So there next line in action is too build up lies and turn the out majority groups against Ndigbo by this new cooked up story to try to repeat a civil war against eaterners, It will fail too.

Who are those behind all these?
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 25, 2012
what are the bulldozers waiting for angry
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by tpia5: 9:29pm On Jan 25, 2012
What were they selling, and why cant they sell it in yorubaland?
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by Yeske2(m): 9:32pm On Jan 25, 2012
peckhamboi:

Who are those behind all these?
They know themselves.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by EkoIle1: 9:40pm On Jan 25, 2012
Shebi Soyinka say disintegration don start,

Funny AGIPA people,

Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by nku5: 9:46pm On Jan 25, 2012
tpia@:

Haba! World never spoil reach that level o.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by babaowo: 9:55am On Jan 26, 2012
hmmm one nigeria indeed, but who is gonna lose most
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by superior1: 9:57am On Jan 26, 2012
“These illegal occupants, especially those who have been allocated alternative locations like the goat sellers, 911 Lorry park users, and so on, are hereby directed to relocate to their sites immediately as their continuous stay there amounts to obstruction of the beautification exercise.

Fashola, its time to beautify Alaba!
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by mekaboy(m): 10:19am On Jan 26, 2012
THE GOVT IS RIGHT, THAT HEAD BRIDGE NEEDS TO BE BEAUTIFIED, LET THEM GO ELSEWHERE ONTISHA IS BIG ENOUGH, THEY CAN MOVE TO ANOTHER LOCATION OR GO TO COURT.

IF GOVT WANTS TO SACK YORUBA AND HAUSA, THEY WILL START FROM THOSE WORKING FOR GOVT, NOT GOAT SELLERS.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by Ninapha(f): 10:23am On Jan 26, 2012
Its unfair of the traders to make such assertions.  Most of them have been asked to relocate but because they believe upper Iweka is more Central, they have refused.  Are there no Igbos too in that market?  On my way to Agbor over the weekend, I nearly threw up cos of the odor oozing from the goat market, such a bad sight. just like an abandoned refugee camp.

That market can never give the state government room to atleast give the state entrance a face-lift.  I think they should be agitating for the government to put the new location in other like creating accessible roads and other amenities instead of cooking lies against the governor.

Honestly they need to leave that place as soon as possible.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by dannie04: 10:33am On Jan 26, 2012
superior1:

Fashola, its time to beautify Alaba!
Fashola don first do am before for Yaba
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by Hambolaj01(m): 10:51am On Jan 26, 2012
nku5:

Haba! W
tpia@ link=topic=855214.msg10047840#msg10047840 date=1327523371:

I don't think you are a Nigerian.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by cardoso111(m): 10:52am On Jan 26, 2012
Mekaboy,I respect u!why would governor Peter Obi want to dislodge any tribe?far from it.Our people need mind education .A government has power to acquire any land anywhere for the good of his state.He may decide to relocate them promptly too!
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by saintneo(m): 11:01am On Jan 26, 2012
Eko Ile:

Shebi Soyinka say disintegration don start,

Funny AGIPA people,
at least you are entertained.

Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by success4(m): 11:05am On Jan 26, 2012
saintneo:

at least you are entertained.

Have you seen a lazy broom before?
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by mrperfect(m): 11:09am On Jan 26, 2012
Let us always promoto peace.
This news won't make any difference on who we are in Nigeria.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by Ayoobscom(m): 11:18am On Jan 26, 2012
Hmmm!

Nigeria is not uphold by her people but by the grace of God.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by okstol: 11:24am On Jan 26, 2012
@Alh. Boko haram, plz, can u tell me what we (Ndigbo) have done to u?
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by 9javoice1(m): 12:26pm On Jan 26, 2012
nonsense propaganda.
if any one here ever been to that mkt, you will even curse the gov for not hav taking this step long b4 now.

besides the hausas is about 0.6% and yorubas 0.1% of the traders in the said mkt we talk abt. while igbos is 99.3% of the mkt.
the hausas mainly sell only live hus hold animals,food stuffs, but yorubas just sell traditional charms,concursions.

yaba/oshodi case is different bcus igbos makeup of 70% of the traders there.if they complain we can reason with them.
like someone likely say: they wana throw up another hatred propaganda against igbos.

again go and see how clean igbos use to keep their mkt places but go there and see how the hausas has mess up the whole place.
the awolowo and ahmed bello actions has put nigeria on the track road of tribal sentiment in evrything no matter how good it is.

i wonder how the hausa/fulani will see it when fed govt outlaw rearing of cattles around. even as they knew many life have been taking bcus of it
a pity to my dear country.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by LogicMind: 12:40pm On Jan 26, 2012
I remember when okwadike was the governor of the state and those aboki traders used to refer to their he-goats as okwadike (cos of the beard).
They have been taking a lot of piss in the state and it's time they are moved out.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by LEXYLOV: 1:04pm On Jan 26, 2012
Whatever the case it might be, they should try and sort it out in a very meaningful way that will serve the interest of peace and stability of the state and the nation as a whole, rather than causing an unnecessary ethnic tensions. For those igbos who are praying for the nation separation, let me ask you this. Do you think if Nigeria have to divide today, are you expecting Edo, Niger delta to be among your states? or are you dreaming of any SS state to be among your so called awaiting biafra nation? you must be joking if that is your expectation, because those mentioned area will never be part of biafra. And also how did you guys want to govern your tiny 4 state ? who is going to be president there ? because as far as I know all igbo wanna be president or leader by all means. lipsrsealed
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by saintneo(m): 1:33pm On Jan 26, 2012
LEXYLOV:

Whatever the case it might be, they should try and sort it out in a very meaningful way that will serve the interest of peace and stability of the state and the nation as a whole, rather than causing an unnecessary ethnic tensions. For those igbos who are praying for the nation separation, let me ask you this. Do you think if Nigeria have to divide today, are you expecting Edo, Niger delta to be among your states? or are you dreaming of any SS state to be among your so called awaiting biafra nation? you must be joking if that is your expectation, because those mentioned area will never be part of biafra. And also how did you guys want to govern your tiny 4 state ? who is going to be president there ? because as far as I know all igbo wanna be president or leader by all means. lipsrsealed
You can keep Edo and lower Delta in Nigeria or Oduduwa Republic. Bayelsa is still in debate.

Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by ak47mann(m): 1:44pm On Jan 26, 2012
saintneo:

You can keep Edo and lower Delta in Nigeria or Oduduwa Republic. Bayelsa is still in debate.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy i like that,bloody ACN thieves and drug pushers cool
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by buzor(m): 2:45pm On Jan 26, 2012
i laugh when i hear what d yeribas and hausas re selling; GOAT AND CHARMS. I de laugh in onitsha.
@lexylove or what ever u call your self, who told u we want edo and delta in biafra. you can keep them to yourselve. dont forget to keep igbo part of delta for us.
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by HighChief4(m): 3:15pm On Jan 26, 2012
Nice move by Peter Obi. These people always mess up anywhere they dwell. Give them Paris and they will turn it to Oshodi the next day
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by pcicero(m): 3:36pm On Jan 26, 2012
^^
And what have you done to Ladipo,Mushin? Was that not what the Council chairman was complaining about that your people started calling him a murderer?
He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones!
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by andyanders: 4:03pm On Jan 26, 2012
I wonder why people just  make noise out of nothing. Fashola threw out the Ibos selling market at Oshodi, many lost their lives. In Idimota also, ibo traders were asked to leave for Trade Fair.
For God's sake, they were asked to relocate to a new site and now they are turning to ethnic problem. Through out Nigeria, it is ONLY the Ibos that have invested MORE in other states outside their state of Origin.

That is why the Ibos  have been at the receiving end. The ibos acquire properties all over Nigeria more than any other ethnic group. This is because they love their neighbors more than any other ethnic group.
Another group that  have tried to associate or relate on a smaller note is the Yorubas. That is just the 2nd and only ethnic group in Nigeria
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by leengton: 4:53pm On Jan 26, 2012

Fashola, its time to beautify Alaba![/i]

This is really funny! Fashola Please Spare my Alaba brethren. I need to produce Pirated WWE Raw and Smackdown CDs for me Abeg![i]
[flash=200,200][/flash]
Re: Hausa, Yoruba Traders’ Ejection Not Ethnic – Anambra by vanstanzy(m): 6:08pm On Jan 26, 2012
@NLerz
Guyz must there always be an ethnic tone giving to every discussion/ debate? I tire o!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Afenifere Calls For Stoppage Of Fulani Cattle Rearing Activities In Yorubaland / Breaking News!!! Another Ijaw Win Rivers APC Governorship Ticket / Guber Polls: Fear, Anxiety Envelope Bayelsa, Kogi, Imo Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.