Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,116 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men (3663 Views)

Who Is More Beautiful? Fulani girls vs Igbo girls / The Fading Beauty Of A Woman(photo) / Ladies, Muscular Men Vs Skinny Men, Which One Do You Prefer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by DaraAlina(f): 1:24am On Jan 27, 2012
Just out of friendly curiosity,

What is the standards of beauty for Yoruba Men, Igbo Men and Hausa Men ?

Thanks !!!!

Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by MrsChima1(f): 1:39am On Jan 27, 2012
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Flashaldrin(m): 2:09am On Jan 27, 2012
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by 9janinja1(f): 2:16am On Jan 27, 2012
presently i'm thinking it's what the media says it is, abs, good face, money etc.
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by highland(m): 3:14am On Jan 27, 2012
Dress neatly and be ok is enough for any Yoruba man.
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Nobody: 3:16am On Jan 27, 2012
9ja-ninja:

presently i'm thinking it's what the media says it is, abs, good face, money etc.
You forgot the "dark tall and handsome". grin grin
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by emofine2(f): 5:01am On Jan 27, 2012
DaraAlina:

Just out of friendly curiosity,

What is the standards of beauty for Yoruba Men, Igbo Men and Hausa Men ?

Thanks !!!!

Are you after the standard of beauty that these men seek for in a woman or are you after the attributes that qualify these men to be attractive?
and is this standard "tribe"-specific? i.e the beauty standard that Hausa's adhere to amongst their own "tribe".
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Nobody: 5:07am On Jan 27, 2012
" Standards of beauty" are only in the eye of the beholder no matter who it is. If that makes sense.

1 Like

Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by emofine2(f): 5:14am On Jan 27, 2012
talina:

" Standards of beauty" are only in the eye of the beholder no matter who it is. If that makes sense.

talina it makes much sense but that doesn't negate the fact that certain people/societies/groups still uphold a beauty template - one may not even adhere to those "standards" but it may sub-consciously or consciously govern the thought's for quite a significant part of the population moreso some people have been conditioned/trained in accepting certain standards of beauty.
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Nobody: 5:24am On Jan 27, 2012
^^^ Yes that is absolutaly true. But I would like to think that many can rise above this conditioning (and should strive to), to really see the beauty of each individual.
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by emofine2(f): 5:30am On Jan 27, 2012
talina:

^^^ Yes that is absolutaly true. But I would like to think that many can rise above this conditioning (and should strive to), to really see the beauty of each individual.

Ditto smiley

1 Like

Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Mikael4(m): 7:29am On Jan 27, 2012
Standard of beauty? What the hell are people smoking nowadays?
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Tosinville(m): 7:48am On Jan 27, 2012
^Pile, u know about that? that exactly what the poster smoke.
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by emofine2(f): 7:53am On Jan 27, 2012
~Mikael~:

Standard of beauty? What the hell are people smoking nowadays?

It might sound strange to you but it does exist in some spheres.

i.e mursi favour women with big lips so from a young age the women belonging to that group have their lips stretched with plates. There was another group (I can't remember the name) but they favour women with long necks so elongate their necks (or in reality depressing their shoulders) with large rings set across their neck.

Some people's standards of beauty might even revolve around the personality although I think the OP is largely interested in the aesthetics undecided
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Mikael4(m): 8:05am On Jan 27, 2012
emöfine:

It might sound strange to you but it does exist in some spheres.

i.e mursi favour women with big lips so from a young age the women belonging to that group have their lips stretched with plates. There was another group (I can't remember the name) but they favour women with long necks so elongate their necks (or in reality depressing their shoulders) with large rings set across their neck.

Some people's standards of beauty might even revolve around the personality although I think the OP is largely interested in the aesthetics undecided
I see the point you are trying to make. But the existence of "Standard of beauty" is another way of saying "Bullshit!"

So if i dont see ladies with long necks, they are not beautiful? So an igbo guy cannot admire a yoruba, hausa, delta lady because my culture says until they are ****, they are not termed beautiful? Really? That's some Beautiful Nonsense!
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by pendo89(f): 8:26am On Jan 27, 2012
lol @ mikael.What dd u do again wayne??
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Mikael4(m): 8:30am On Jan 27, 2012
pendo89:

lol @ mikael.What dd u do again wayne??
Nothing! Just being my normal quiet self! It's been long the mods banned anyone, so sexkillz was like some target practice!
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by emofine2(f): 8:33am On Jan 27, 2012
~Mikael~:

I see the point you are trying to make. But the existence of "Standard of beauty" is another way of saying "Bullshit!"

"Standard of Beauty"? That's what some groups of people adhere to amongst their society. So perhaps the OP thought that Nigerians among our individual groups also have a standard. A person doesn't even have to adhere to the "standard of beauty" in their society, but it doesn't delete the fact that certain notions regarding beauty exists in society.

So if i dont see ladies with long necks, they are not beautiful? So an igbo guy cannot admire a yoruba, hausa, delta lady because my culture says until they are ****, they are not termed beautiful? Really? That's some Beautiful Nonsense!

Ha! I don't believe I was listing your ideal tongue I was using another group as an example. Or do you mean to ask  . . .if their men saw a lady with a short neck would that affect the way they evaluate her beauty? If so, then of course.

I don't know what your culture deems as beautiful (or if such "standards" even exist in your culture) but even so it doesn't mean that you as an individual will abide by that template. It doesn't mean that women who fall short of those ideal will automatically be unattractive in your eyes or that you may not even recognize their beauty. It doesn't mean that women from other cultures in Nigeria cannot match those ideals and it doesn't mean that those who may fit the bill may even be appealing to you. There are anomalies in terms of beauty and in terms of adherents.

In London slim women are favoured for example but does that suddenly mean one who is not slim is unattractive? No not at all. And does that automatically mean that someone who is slim is attractive? You bet it isn't tongue. . .but perhaps it is a slight advantage.
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Mikael4(m): 8:38am On Jan 27, 2012
Hmm!
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by emofine2(f): 8:48am On Jan 27, 2012
~Mikael~:

Hmm!

What is hmmn? *raises eyebrow*

I watched a very interesting documentary about the Wodaabe clan (a sub group from the Fulanis) and their standard of beauty would actually match parts of Western society. But I did wonder if someone who doesn't match their standard will be termed as "less attractive" however beauty is very important in their clan.
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Mikael4(m): 9:01am On Jan 27, 2012
What is hmmn? *raises eyebrow*

I watched a very interesting documentary about the Wodaabe clan (a sub group from the Fulanis) and their standard of beauty would actually match parts of Western society. But I did wonder if someone who doesn't match their standard will be termed as "less attractive" however beauty is very important in their clan.
That is what it means! And that's why the idea doesnt sit well with mua!
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by 4wardever(m): 9:13am On Jan 27, 2012
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

, And all looks yellow to the jaundiced eye.
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Flashaldrin(m): 9:19am On Jan 27, 2012
^^^Hehehehe, lolz

but yea i agree, their are some objective standards for beauty, doesnt mean their wont be exceptions though.

1 Like

Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by emofine2(f): 9:22am On Jan 27, 2012
~Mikael~:

That is what it means! And that's why the idea doesnt sit well with mua!

Oh ok, noted. But what I meant is that even if one doesn't agree or adhere to certain templates of beauty etc that may govern their society it doesn't still change the fact that such notions still exist. It is what it is.

The funny thing is. . .a person (due to the "standard of beauty" of a particular society/culture) may be considered unappealing in country A but deemed attractive in country B.  . . i.e a slim person in some parts of the world may be pitied because others may equate their size to poverty whereas in other parts of the world  a slim person will be viewed as a portrait of health . . .etc.

So ultimately these notions do differ and may not even carry much weight beyond their border or even for an individual  - and that may be because that indivual is guided by his or her own concept of beauty and not society's. Like talina said "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

I think there is an illusion to beauty though.

1 Like

Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Mikael4(m): 9:29am On Jan 27, 2012
The funny thing is. . .a person (due to the "standard of beauty" of a particular society/culture) may be considered unappealing in country A but deemed attractive in country B. . . i.e a slim person in some parts of the world may be pitied because others may equate their size to poverty whereas in other parts of the world a slim person will be viewed as a portrait of health . . .etc.
LOL! grin So true! But do you think should such standards of beauty should exist?
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by claremont(m): 9:39am On Jan 27, 2012
I am from neither of these ethnic groups, so I wouldn't know. If you want to get more points, you would have asked; what is the standard of beauty of the average Nigerian male?! That is a much more holistic and rational question IMHO. Anyone on here who is not Hausa, Igbo, or Yoruba, and yet claims to know tha answers to your question is simply emiting violent streams of white noise!
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by emofine2(f): 10:13am On Jan 27, 2012
~Mikael~:

LOL! grin So true! But do you think should such standards of beauty should exist?

Good question.

A standard or at least a definition of beauty will always exists whether it's individual or a collective opinion.
I get what you mean though - should society hold up an ideal? Some people who do not fit in with conventional beauty are still appreciated however I believe such template can lead to discrimination at times. India comes to mind with their caste system, and when such is used to devalue another human being then I think it's wrong and harmful for many reasons. I also think it's wrong when others are conditioned to accept a particular notion as well (that's just programming) or when some are moulded to look like the ideal.

I think you are of the notion (which isn't necessarily a wrong one) that if one doesn't fit into the ideal then they are automatically deemed as unattractive or less - not always the case though.

As for my opinion regarding "standards of beauty" in society - I find it to be an illusion and rather intriguing (especially when comparing and contrasting) but I don't personally believe that "standards of beauty" should be dictated by society or by an individual.
I also believe it's a way of knowing other people/cultures.
Perhaps the intention behinds these standards where not particularly wrong but perhaps only the attitudes regarding those who are an exception to the rule is wrong - and those attitudes should not exist but most people whether as a collective or an individual will always have a standard but that doesn't mean they don't appreciate or are attracted to other portraits.
Re: Standard Of Beauty Of Yoruba Men Vs. Igbo Men Vs. Hausa Men by Mikael4(m): 10:27am On Jan 27, 2012
^^^
We are parallel! wink

(1) (Reply)

Will You Pay Up Your Partner's Debts / Why Are Girls Forming On Social Media ? / Am I Welcomed Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.