Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? (1513 Views)

Nursing Mothers And Intercourse / Nursing Mother Commits Suicide After Baby Dedication / I Read My Sister"s Diary And She Is Planning To Commit Suicide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by DonJuan1(m): 10:22am On Jan 27, 2012
A nursing mother, 22, and mother of a 10-month-old-baby, has allegedly hanged herself in her one-room apartment on Sumonu Giwa Street, Ile-Epo area of Iyana Ipaja, Lagos.
Said to be a teacher, the lady, simply called Mama Favour, was found hanging on a rope by her hubby, a petrol station attendant. 

Daily Sun learnt that at about 10:00pm on Wednesday evening, Mama Favour’s husband, simply identified as Seun returned home to find the door locked and heard the cry of his 10-month-old baby from the room.

Seun, it was gathered, was furious and shouted at his wife to attend to the baby on time. After the several calls and orders that she should attend to the crying baby elicited no response, the enraged husband was said to have threatened to deal with his wife, thinking she was exhibiting her usual non-challant attitude.

Getting more agitated, Seun knocked severally on the door and later broke into the room when it appeared his wife was not answering. And what stared him in the face was the dangling, lifeless body of his wife, hanging loose from the rope she had allegedly used to hang herself some hours earlier. Shocked to the marrows, Seun had raised alarm which neighbours, particularly his landlord, Mr. Ajadi    who rushed to the scene.

When Daily Sun called at 31, Sumonu Giwa Street yesterday afternoon, the deceased’s landlord, Mr. Ajadi said: “At about a few minutes to 10:00pm on Wednesday. I was about to take my dinner when I heard a noise from Seun in the passage. And I rushed to the passage to ask him what had happened.

He was shouting my wife my wife, And I asked what about his wife and he replied that I should come and see it in his room and when I got to the room, I saw the wife had hanged herself. I was shocked but immediately I went to the police station to report the case and that night the policemen came with us to see what had happened. By that time, she was already dead and the police later took the pictures of the scene. It is a strange thing that has happened because the woman who just hanged herself was an easygoing person. I can’t recall a time that she had any quarrel with her husband. They were usually an easy-going couple.”

Relatives of the deceased, her husband and her church members soon came and went to the police station. Some of the deceased’s neighours who spoke on condition of anonymity gave some hints into what they thought could be the motive behind Mama Favour’s alleged suicide.

They alleged before she eventually committed suicide, Mama favour had been behaving very strangely. One of them said: “Mama favour is said to have some spiritual problem. We learnt that her husband’s pastor had invited her on several occasions for deliverance and serious prayers. This is because of some strange attitudes she has been putting up lately. It was said that she had requested for poison when she visited her parents lately.

She had left home on several occasions in the night and wandered about till daybreak before she was later found. In fact, some of her husband’s relatives had advised her husband to take her to her parents and make her stay there till when they could find a solution to her strange behaviours.” At the Ile-Epo police station in the area, the policemen confirmed the story, but said that investigation would continue on it.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/jan/27/national-27-01-2011-015.html
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by victorazy(m): 10:58am On Jan 27, 2012
Fuel subsidy.
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by Outstrip(f): 3:15pm On Jan 27, 2012
Sounds like it could have been Post Partum depression combined with an inconsiderate husband and inlaws
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2012
Post Partum Depression, why does everything have to be a spiritual problem? Haba, Mothers are taught about this at antenental clinics. I am so so sad. They should have taken her to the hospital and not conclude it was a spiritual problem. Post patrum Depression, on my Gosh, My people really perish for lack of knowledge
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by ronkebp(f): 3:22pm On Jan 27, 2012
Too bad she had to take her life, may her soul rest in peace.
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by room702(m): 4:31pm On Jan 27, 2012
May her soul rest in peace. stories like this scares me
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by freecocoa(f): 4:50pm On Jan 27, 2012
Its really a pity,may her soul RIP.
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by ada24: 4:57pm On Jan 27, 2012
spiritual problem? oh o weep for the ignorance.

A new baby, living in (I can only guess) poverty and for a man to say "he will deal with her for not attending to the baby" an insensitive husband all points to Post natal depression. I wish this was discussed more while women are pregnant - yes having a baby is a great thing and blessing but it can rqually be a lonely experience especially for a first time mother in the first year.

May her soul rest in peace and may her child be looked after properly.
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by Ndipe(m): 11:28pm On Jan 27, 2012
debrief08:

Post Partum Depression, why does everything have to be a spiritual problem? Haba, Mothers are taught about this at antenental clinics. I am so so sad. They should have taken her to the hospital and not conclude it was a spiritual problem. Post patrum Depression, on my Gosh, My people really perish for lack of knowledge

And post partum depression is a spiritual problem caused by the devil. Depression itself is not from God but from the devil, so yeah, it is also a spiritual problem.
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jan 27, 2012
Depression itself is not from God but from the devil, so yeah, it is also a spiritual problem.

Which could easily have been cured by a pill.

How is it different from malaria, a cold, a headache? This is about enlightening people to stop demonizing things that God has already provided the solution for via medical science. Your post is not helping matters because it is not giving the entire picture. That woman would likely be alive today if she had been taken to a psychiatrist.

Back to this poor woman in question, it sounds more like she was psychotic than just depression. Her leaving home and wandering about all night makes it appear to be more than depression. Post partum psychosis, schizophrenia, acute psychotic episodes etc come to mind.

When will my people stop wasting each other’s lives? Spiritual leaders please wake up and start to educate our people!
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by Ndipe(m): 2:44am On Jan 28, 2012
ileobatojo:

Which could easily have been cured by a pill.

How is it different from malaria, a cold, a headache? This is about enlightening people to stop demonizing things that God has already provided the solution for via medical science. Your post is not helping matters because it is not giving the entire picture. That woman would likely be alive today if she had been taken to a psychiatrist.

Back to this poor woman in question, it sounds more like she was psychotic than just depression. Her leaving home and wandering about all night makes it appear to be more than depression. Post partum psychosis, schizophrenia, acute psychotic episodes etc come to mind.

When will my people stop wasting each other’s lives? Spiritual leaders please wake up and start to educate our people!

Not any different, all sicknesses are from the devil, and yeah, pills can cure some of them, remember, power belongs to God ultimately.
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 6:49am On Jan 28, 2012
Mr Ndipe Thank God that you have internet please use it to learn to. Google Post Partum depression, there is nothing spiritual about it. Its a hormanal inbalance which sometimes occurs when women give birth. It can be treated by putting the woman on some medication that balances out her hormones. When children are sturborn or aultistic instead of seeking medical help we brand them demonic and take dem to receive slaps and some of them are killed. Going from church to church with this woman was just unfortunate, God gave us all d knowledge for science and even d raw materials but we still choose to remain in d dark. Very very sad
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 6:57am On Jan 28, 2012
The Spiritual leaders who decieve you go baroad for regular medical check up. God gave Man dominion over the earth so we can use everything here to make our lives easier and the knowledge to develop science and cure to heal sickness. He is d healer yes but when you apply medicine you also pray it doesn't take away d healing power of God. Taking a sick woman for prayer for cure is like saying God is the provider and praying for God to make ur gas or stove go on automatically to cook food and when d food is done that God should bring it and serve you. God has given you Gac and stove plus put and d foodstuff to cook for ur self when u cook and serve ur own food is God less of a provider? So if you know God gives ur daily bread and still make an effort to prepare the food by urself why won't u take a sick person to get the right treatment instead of calling God to come down and heal when u ve not used the medicine God gave us to heal the person. Don't let ur loved ones perish for lack of knowledge as in dis case.
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by lolaluv1(f): 1:34pm On Jan 28, 2012
Postpartum depression. . . .
Re: Mystery! What Could Have Made This Nursing Mother Commit Suicide? by agiboma(f): 4:30pm On Jan 28, 2012
definetly ppd as the others have stated, perhapes if her husband attended the antinatum appointments he may have been able to spot the problem

(1) (Reply)

Gold Diggers Are Driving Me Crazy With Marriage Proposals / The Other Woman / Working Class Nigerian Ladies And House Wives Who Is More Prone To Cheating..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.