Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,745 members, 7,813,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? (16692 Views)

IBB: I Will Vote For An Igbo President In 2019 / Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister / Ibb: I Rehabilitated His (obj)History And Humanity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by KnowAll(m): 10:51am On Jan 27, 2012
I carry a bullet in my lap, so nobody will talk to me about secession or breaking away. If you do, I will call a tailor, take my measurement, get back in to khaki to go and fight even at age 71.”

He also lashed Niger-Delta leaders over their possessive comments on President Goodluck Jonathan with disregard to the sensibilities of other Nigerians, who voted overwhelmingly for Jonathan at the polls.

Insisting that Nigeria has come to stay as an independent country, Babangida listed critical issues, which he said were not negotiable in a united Nigeria, irrespective of challenges and perceived differences. They are indivisibility of the nation, capitalistic nature of Nigeria and states as federating units.

According to him, these issues must not be touched as the doctrine of Nigeria settlement had come to stay, adding that for three years during the civil war, Nigerians fought for the unity of the country.

The former military leader urged the media to desist from reporting stories that centre on Christian South and Moslem North because “wherever you go in this country, you will find in the North there are Christians as much as we have Muslims. In the South, it is the same but I think the emphasis is on Christian South , Muslim North.”
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by KnowAll(m): 11:10am On Jan 27, 2012
Source is Vanguard just in case anyone wants to read the full story.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/ibb-quits-partisan-politics-vows-to-defend-nigerias-unity/
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by seenoevil1: 11:22am On Jan 27, 2012
@OP i was about 2 post the same topic , NOTICE HE MENTIONS NOTHING ABOUT BOKO HARAM AND HE CLAIMS WE ARE ALL LIVING PEACEFULLY  . HERE IS THE COMPLETE SPEECH FROM DAILY TRUST

Former military President Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida yesterday said he could fight another war to defend Nigeria’s unity having done so previously.

Babangida said this yesterday in Abuja while speaking as Chairman of the Occasion at the 9th Daily Trust Annual Dialogue, organised by Media Trust Limited, publishers of the Trust newspaper titles.
“You see in this country we fought the war for almost three years for the benefit of living together. I have a bullet in my body, [size=14pt]so nobody will talk to me about secession or breaking away. If you do, I would always say yes, get my tailor to take my measurement, get on my khaki and go back to fight a war to keep this country together[/size] even at 71. We fought a war before,” the 71-year-old former military ruler said, referring to the Civil War of 1967-70.

Babangida said he fought during the Civil War just to ensure that the country remained united and that he was now ready to join another war for the same purpose.

He was speaking with reference to recent claims by some South-South leaders that there were plots by a section of the country to eliminate President Goodluck Jonathan and that Nigeria would break should anything happen to him.

“[size=14pt]Some people are saying that should anything happen to President Jonathan, forget about Nigeria[/size], and so on. I have seen a lot of these. I know those who are saying this. Yes, they are supporters of the president. But I know the president is a sensible person, so don’t waste your time saying that the world would come to an end if something happens to our son. Of course, he is our president and he is your son. He is our president.”

“I have always respected these people. But these things these days amaze me. These are same people that went to school, people who went to universities, people that are educated and people who have held positions of responsibilities,” he added.

Babangida described certain developments in the political life of this country as “Doctrine of Nigeria’s Settled Issues,” and that nobody should attempt to tamper with them. These are Nigeria’s unity, its Republican constitution, the states as federating units and the capitalist orientation of the economy.

“This is what I referred to as Doctrine of Nigeria’s Settled Issues. Number one, I don’t want every one of us to tamper with anything to do with Nigerian unity. Number two, republican constitution is also a settled issue, more or less. Number three, the states are the federating units of this country and number four, we are a capitalist country,” he said.

“Anybody that wants to talk about this country must make sure that he doesn’t do anything that will disrupt these basic settled issues in our political life,” he added. Anybody that is talking about the dismembering of this country, you should not listen to him,” he added.

This year’s edition of the Daily Trust Annual Dialogue was held with the theme “Media and Politics.”

Babangida said the media has a great role in promoting unity and mutual understanding among Nigerians.

“The media has a great role to play. There is need for the media to complement the fundamental struggle and fundamental values that would make us live in peace with one another. They have a role of domesticating our values for the benefit of our country,” he said.

He said there was no conflict between Christians and Muslims in the country as being portrayed by the foreign media and there was nothing like Muslim North and Christian South, [size=14pt]as the peoples of the country live together peacefully.[/size]

“I believe there [size=12[/color]pt]will be no conflict[/size] between Christians and Muslims, North and South. There is also no such phrases like Muslim North and Christian South. Where ever you go in this country, you will find out that there are Muslims and Christians living peacefully together. You will find out there are Christians in the North and it is the same in the South,” Babangida said.

He urged the media to be vigilant to avoid getting entrapped into false pretences, saying “if we see such things like Christian south, Muslim north, we should disregard it. Even if such people say it, the media should ignore it because you know it is not the truth; so you should not even write it.”

Yesterday’s event was also attended by Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba, who represented Senate President David Mark; Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole; former minister of state for Foreign Affairs Dr. Aliyu Idi Hong; Vanguard publisher Sam Amuka-Pemu; and Malam Ismaila Isa.

Also in attendance were representatives of governors of Gombe, Niger, Zamfara and Jigawa states, as well as of Speaker of the House of Representatives Aminu Tambuwal.

Academic Abubakar Siddiq Mohammed and a representative of the Information minister presented papers on the theme of the dialogue. Two other paper presenters scheduled for the event did not make it, namely Rageh Omar of Al Jazeera and Fred M’membe of Zambian newspaper the Post.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=153366:ibb-nigerias-unity-is-settled-i-can-go-back-to-fight-a-war-to-keep-this-country-together-even-at-71&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

[color=#990000]FROM HIS SPEECH 3 THINGS ARE CERTAIN :

1. THERE WOULD BE NO SNC WITHOUT VIOLENCE / MILITARY INTERVENTION IN OTHER WORDS SHOULD THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION CONSIDER SNC AS AN OPTION THEY WOULD BE TOPPLED IMMEDIATELY BY THE MILITARY  . THINK OF IT ! WAS USE OF THE WORD "KHAKI" NECESSARY ? I MEAN WHY NOT "ROUND TABLE DIALOGUE" LIKE THEY SAY WE SHOULD DO WITH THE BOKO HARAM GUYS ?? HE IS JUST TRYING TO TELL US THAT THE MILITARY STILL MAKE THE MOST POWERFUL DECISIONS IN THE COUNTRY
so nobody will talk to me about secession or breaking away, get my tailor to take my measurement, [size=14pt]get on my khaki[/size] and go back to fight a war to keep this country together

2. COUP SMELLS IN THE AIR . WE ALL KNOW THESE PEOPLE FUND COUPS FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL INTEREST.

Some people are saying that should anything happen to President Jonathan, forget about Nigeria[/size], and so on. I have seen a lot of these. I know those who are saying this. Yes, they are supporters of the president. But I know the president is a sensible person, so don’t waste your time saying that the world would come to an end if something happens to our son. Of course, he is our president and he is your son. He is our president[/b]

3. HIS KHAKI STATEMENT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF THE COUNTRY , THE MILITARY STILL HOLDS THE COUNTRY BY THE BALLS AND THEY ARE THE ONES WHO WOULD DETERMINE WHO FORCEFULLY STAYS REGARDLESS OF A PEACEFUL REQUEST FOR A SNC / SECESSION .

get on my khaki and go back to fight a war to keep this country together
Add the two quotes together and you would find out that what he is saying is simple : SHOULD ANY REGION OF NIGERIA HIJACK POWER EITHER THROUGH SYSTEMATIC "IMPEACHMENT" OR COUP , THE OTHER REGIONS SHOULDN'T COMPLAIN OR FEEL BITTER / ASK FOR SNC OR SECESSION BECAUSE ACCORDING TO HIM GEJ IS "OUR SON AND OUR PRESIDENT " SO ONE OF "THEIR OUR SONS" CAN BE USED TO REPLACE "YOUR SON " WHO IS THE PRESIDENT NOW . hmmm 2012 keeps looking like the season finale of the Nigerian series .
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by KnowAll(m): 11:24am On Jan 27, 2012
Christian South, Muslim North is a Western invention, at times I think the West is in the forefront and are the Vanguard of disintegration ideologies and fraternization in Nigeria.

Nigerians all know the SW is almost 50-50 Christians and Muslims although the Muslim population is going down as the years go by, one can say with some degree of certainty more Muslims are becoming Christians than Christians becoming Muslims in the SW but that does not justify the Western propagation machinery of designating the South as Christian South and the North as Muslim North. The only other area that has a huge Mulim population in the South is Auchi area of Edo State.

The North on the other hand has huge swathes of Christian domains especially Plateau State in its entirety, Zago Kataf in Southern Kaduna, the Whole of Benue State, and parts of Adamawa and Taraba State. Not mentioning parts of Niger State, Tafawa Balewa LG in Bauchi State, Gomber State, the Biu area of Borno State not to talk of the admixture in the FCT.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 27, 2012
Una still dey scatter una head for IBB? That guy is a dying sleeper agent. Forget him
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by KnowAll(m): 12:50pm On Jan 27, 2012
Una still dey scatter una head for IBB? That guy is a dying sleeper agent. Forget him

At least those loud mouth Niger Deltans would know Nigerian ain’t going to disintegrate without a fight, and that loud mouth Dokubo Asari had better watch his utterances. undecided
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by otokx(m): 12:55pm On Jan 27, 2012
Talk is cheap
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jan 27, 2012
KnowAll:

Christian South, Muslim North is a Western invention, at times I think the West is in the forefront and are the Vanguard of disintegration ideologies and fraternization in Nigeria.

Nigerians all know the SW is almost 50-50 Christians and Muslims although the Muslim population is going down as the years go by, one can say with some degree of certainty more Muslims are becoming Christians than Christians becoming Muslims in the SW but that does not justify the Western propagation machinery of designating the South as Christian South and the North as Muslim North. The only other area that has a huge Mulim population in the South is Auchi area of Edo State.

The North on the other hand has huge swathes of Christian domains especially Plateau State in its entirety, Zago Kataf in Southern Kaduna, the Whole of Benue State, and parts of Adamawa and Taraba State. Not mentioning parts of Niger State, Tafawa Balewa LG in Bauchi State, Gomber State, the Biu area of Borno State not to talk of the admixture in the FCT.

The british has always maintained the NORTH/SOUTH dichotomy since the amalgamation of Nigeria,so I'm not surprise that the segregational policy is showing up through religion partitioning now that a possible break-up is approaching.Btw,why is babangida silent on boko haram ?
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by GeJ4life: 1:05pm On Jan 27, 2012
IBB still thinks we are talking about Nigeria in the 1960s and 70s. We are talking about a contemporary Nigeria where someone like me can make an IED (improvised explosive device) just by watching the video on youtube, A more divided Nigeria than ever where tribes see each others as barriers to development. A Nigeria with more diverse foreign interest, If a Civil War starts today, the United States will only focus on securing the Oil region because that is their place of primary interest in this country and not the Northern Elite Clique as it was back then, It also very easy to get arms across to this place unlike before,

IBB should be careful ooo. "He is Your Son, He is our president" Even the Big Boys in our defense are from the south lately. Pentirin, Ihejirika (or what is he called), Agwai, etc,
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by PointB: 1:23pm On Jan 27, 2012
@IBB,
Ranting of an old hag!
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:38pm On Jan 27, 2012
Quite Insightful shocked.

So in other words, anyone not happy with Nigeria as presently constituted, or anyone wanting out of this so called union owing to the unprovoked slaughter of their kith and kin, should go hang for all he cares; Nigeria must remain one irrespective of any reasons adduced for everyone going their seperate ways.

This 'dead man walking' is exactly what is wrong with this country: a certain clique/section seeing this country as their private estate inhabited by them and their slaves; slaves that CANNOT have a say in determining their future as a people. Has he ever heard of THE UNITED NATIONS DECLARATION ON THE RIGHTS OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLES? If not he needs to go pick a copy from central Minna bookshop, or download it from the internet. If by any chance the war he's talking of were to break out tomorrow (besides him getting a shocker at just who and what he's up against with regards to the 'enemy' within the country), he'd be shocked to find he and his murderous ilk would be up against the free world; a world united against injustice.

I think the poor man is suffering from a deluded sense of importance.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by efisher(m): 1:54pm On Jan 27, 2012
If you watched him, you would notice how frail he looks. The guy is on his way to the land of no return.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by Goddex: 2:12pm On Jan 27, 2012
Let him first take up arms against Boko Haram.
Talk Talk Talk Talk is cheap.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by coogar: 2:14pm On Jan 27, 2012
KnowAll:

I carry a bullet in my lap, so nobody will talk to me about secession or breaking away. If you do, I will call a tailor, take my measurement, get back in to khaki to go and fight even at age 71.”

He also lashed Niger-Delta leaders over their possessive comments on President Goodluck Jonathan with disregard to the sensibilities of other Nigerians, who voted overwhelmingly for Jonathan at the polls.

Insisting that Nigeria has come to stay as an independent country, Babangida listed critical issues, which he said were not negotiable in a united Nigeria, irrespective of challenges and perceived differences. They are indivisibility of the nation, capitalistic nature of Nigeria and states as federating units.

According to him, these issues must not be touched as the doctrine of Nigeria settlement had come to stay, adding that for three years during the civil war, Nigerians fought for the unity of the country.

The former military leader urged the media to desist from reporting stories that centre on Christian South and Moslem North because “wherever you go in this country, you will find in the North there are Christians as much as we have Muslims. In the South, it is the same but I think the emphasis is on Christian South , Muslim North.”

nigeria's most intelligent leader. . . . .i wish he could be cloned!
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by BigB11(m): 2:25pm On Jan 27, 2012
If you know 1 or 2 things about IBB, you'll know that this man just doesn't come out to talk rubbish. Pay attention!
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by BigB11(m): 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2012
Lesson of the day: It is all about keeping Nigeria together and absolutely not about anybody.
Where is Abacha or MKO today?
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by franel79(m): 2:31pm On Jan 27, 2012
Big B1:

Lesson of the day: It is all about keeping Nigeria together and absolutely no about anybody. Main reason why Abacha and MKO are not here today.

Are Nigerians really doing anything on a personal scale to justify the sacrifices made by the men you just mentioned?
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by BigB11(m): 2:32pm On Jan 27, 2012
2 things:
First, it will take some time to ever again witness another charismatic, well balanced, emotionally intelligent, most articulate and a strong experienced leader in Nigeria as IBB.
Second, IBB may just be the only entity in Nigeria today that has the stamina/capability to quickly resolve the despicable scenario Nigerians are currently experiencing in Nigeria.

IBB today, IBB tomorrow, IBB forever!
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by BigB11(m): 2:34pm On Jan 27, 2012
How I wish Goodluck Jonathan has just 2% of IBB's brain.
Leadership is not for everybody.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 27, 2012
^^^ Do you have a percent of patience brain?
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by seenoevil1: 2:41pm On Jan 27, 2012
Big B1:

2 things:
First, it will take some time to ever again witness another charismatic, well balanced, emotionally intelligent, most articulate and a strong experienced leader in Nigeria as IBB.
Second, IBB may just be the only entity in Nigeria today that has the stamina/capability to quickly resolve the despicable scenario Nigerians are currently experiencing in Nigeria.

IBB today, IBB tomorrow, IBB forever!

how much did he pay you ?? i am surprised a so called "leader" is talking about holding the people who make up Nigeria as a country ransom by denying them their right to decide their future and some people here are giving him accolades . The same person that introduced SAP , The $12.4 billion  gulf oil windfall scandal , June 12 controversy to name a few but Oh no some would rather take some crumbs from his table , sweep his dirt under the carpet and scream "IBB today, IBB tomorrow, IBB forever!"
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by ismhab(m): 2:42pm On Jan 27, 2012
Long live IBB, make u na finish the rest of biafrans, u don't kill ojukwue at last, the maradona of Nigeria, the international babban barawo‏)‏IBB).
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by BigB11(m): 2:43pm On Jan 27, 2012
@lucenzo: Why not ask your mother?
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by BigB11(m): 2:45pm On Jan 27, 2012
It is obvious that our current president is completely confused. Something tells me that there is more to this latest news.
Things can not continue this way in Nigeria, something must give. It is a matter of time
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by gregg2: 2:46pm On Jan 27, 2012
Goddex:

Let him first take up arms against Boko Haram.
Talk Talk Talk Talk is cheap.

Exactly my thoughts.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by olubuffett: 2:48pm On Jan 27, 2012
Knowall

Come 2014 when the amalgamation of nigeria legally expires, and the ND decides to pull out; wont the war against them be illegal.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by eghost247(m): 2:50pm On Jan 27, 2012
talk is cheap
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by antartica(m): 2:51pm On Jan 27, 2012
It is a known fact that most of the media houses in nigeria today were financed and set up by ibb as propaganda front with nigeria stolen 12bilion dollars oil windfall revenue,that is why they still see his relevance at this complex time even when a bright child in nigeria knows that animals like ibb are the reason why nigeria is on backward evolution. Nigeria media is wayward just like the politics. They are all bandits and their opinions are for the dogs. Until animals like ibb are killed or locked up eternally for their crimes against humanity nigeria will never make sense.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by Fhemmmy: 2:52pm On Jan 27, 2012
eghost247:

talk is cheap

At least he got some balls to be talking . . . What happened to those that are serpent in disguise?
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by garba(m): 2:55pm On Jan 27, 2012
Most Of Our Present Problems Started From The Days Of IBB, The Most Corrupt African Dictator Ever!!! May God Protect Us From You And Your Type!!! Amen.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by olubuffett: 2:57pm On Jan 27, 2012
Fhemmmy:

At least he got some balls to be talking . . .  What happened to those that are serpent in disguise?

I will be surprise if him and his boys are not making plans already.
Re: IBB I Would Put On My Uniform If This Country Heads Towards Disintegration? by Yinkay: 3:02pm On Jan 27, 2012
Old soldier IBB, can you jump from a moving tank after sowing the uniform.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Enugu Approves Three-week Paternity Leave / Tribunal Update: I Won Kogi Governorship Election – Wada / Governor Aminu Masari Awaits President Buhari’s Arrival In Adamawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.