Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets (5455 Views)

Using Twitter To Build Traffic To Your Website / Using Twitter To Build Traffic To Your Website / How Do I Use Twitter To Market My Products (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by ceomike(m): 6:44pm On Jan 27, 2012
Social Media Company, Twitter has announced they would start deleting tweets of users in certain country but the tweet would remain undeleted in the rest of the world.

This is a major move by twitter to curb tweets that could prove harmful to their usage in those countries. Most countries have limits and twitter is just obeying that.

“We hold freedom of expression in high esteem and work hard not to remove Tweets,” Twitter spokeswoman Jodi Olson wrote in an e-mail to CNN.

“And just to be clear, this is not a change in philosophy and there are still countries to which we will not go,” she said.

As examples of countries where tweets may have to be restricted, Twitter mentioned Germany and France, which ban pro-Nazi content. Twitter will operate in those countries while censoring pro-Nazi tweets, for example.

But some countries are so restrictive with freedom of expression that Twitter can’t exist there at all, the company said.

“One of our core values as a company is to defend and respect each user’s voice,” Twitter wrote in a blog entry Thursday. “We try to keep content up wherever and whenever we can, and we will be transparent with users when we can’t. The Tweets must continue to flow.”

But one observer said the move is blatant censorship.

“There’s no way around that. But alas, Twitter is not above the law,” according to Jillian York, the director for international freedom of expression at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which defends free speech and privacy online.

York said she acknowledges that Twitter, like other companies hosting user-generated content, has at some point faced a government order or request to take down content.

“Twitter has two options in the event of a request: fail to comply, and risk being blocked by the government in question, or comply (read: censor). And if they have ‘boots on the ground,’ so to speak, in the country in question? No choice,” she wrote.

The company is simply “doing its best in a tough situation,” she said.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Technology/Twitter-to-delete-posts-if-countries-request-it/-/4882254/8510896/-/ji3dhp/-/index.html
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by obowunmi(m): 7:27pm On Jan 27, 2012
Fake news. Can't believe this made the front page. SICK!
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by dustydee: 7:40pm On Jan 27, 2012
Check CNN. It's on their news.
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by lazinc(m): 7:45pm On Jan 27, 2012
obowunmi:

Fake news. Can't believe this made the front page. SICK!

Its not fake its in CNN, no go sick die o

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/27/tech/twitter-deleting-posts/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by dipo1: 8:06pm On Jan 27, 2012
Immediately I read this, I thought of GEJ. I know he is social-networking-site active and probably has received more derision than any body on the internet this year
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by chelseabmw(m): 8:39pm On Jan 27, 2012
shocked shocked
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by julioralph(m): 8:55pm On Jan 27, 2012
I'm not really suprised, afterall one rich arab dude recently invested 100s of millions of dollars into twitter- they better not shoot themselves in d foot
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by billion11: 9:05pm On Jan 27, 2012
This is for real but maybe not as bad as it looks like. Instead of deleting tweets in all countries they will only delete them in countries where they're illegal.
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by IanTee: 9:17pm On Jan 27, 2012
Watch African Cup of Nations Live from the US and Canada

for those in the US and Canada visit w w w. t e l a f r i c t v. c o m

Its free and allows you watch NTA AIT, BEN TV and others.

to watch on your T V all you need is a R O K U box ( r o k u . c o m)

w w w. t e l a f r i c t v. c o m
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by Eltonluigi(m): 9:44pm On Jan 27, 2012
Still on my Facebook, don't like twitter anyways.
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by eghost247(m): 11:04pm On Jan 27, 2012
^^^^ your missing out
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by Yeske2(m): 11:07pm On Jan 27, 2012
Free speech under threat, don't think i need twitter any longer. Would delete my account right away.
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by kizito96(m): 11:45pm On Jan 27, 2012
which are the countries?
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by Slyr0x: 12:19am On Jan 28, 2012
Yeske!:

Free speech under threat

Exactly! Not in anyway different from SOPA/PIPA. . Censoring people's tweets. . angry angry angry
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by babarazy: 6:12am On Jan 28, 2012
Thank God i hate Twitter.
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by Nobody: 7:13am On Jan 28, 2012
so the censorship of the internet is going universal angry
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by Nobody: 8:05am On Jan 28, 2012
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by sheyee(m): 8:10am On Jan 28, 2012
not a twitter fan anyway
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by eghost247(m): 10:02am On Jan 28, 2012
^^^^^
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by Nobody: 10:41am On Jan 28, 2012
what is tweeter? who is following who ? angry angry very boring something
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by slimyem: 4:26pm On Jan 28, 2012
if dm like,make dm delete the whole site.
Aint a fan anyways!
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by iGuru1(m): 11:18pm On Jan 28, 2012
www.yookos.com
its cool, has more features than twitter, i used it.
www.plus.google.com
google is the king, start circling now with friends.
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by eemmason(m): 11:55am On Jan 29, 2012
I knew twitter wasn't above the law, let them do w@ they hafta do, i smell boredom coming,
Re: Twitter To Start Deleting Tweets by mrperfect(m): 2:54pm On Jan 31, 2012
Let hope that this won't lead to something else.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Check The Individual Prices Of Adsense Ads? / Punch Newspaper / Could Someone Recommend A User-friendly Web-design Software ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.