Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,966 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson (9121 Views)

Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date / Jonathan May Concede Defeat Soon - Punch / I May Run In 2015, Says Buhari• He Is Upright – Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by aljharem(m): 6:52pm On Jan 28, 2012
ADDIS ABABA(AFP) – President Goodluck Jonathan may enter the race for chairman of the African Union, after Gambia pulled out of the running this week, a source close to Jonathan said Saturday.

Leaders will choose a new chairman for the 54-member pan-African body in a secret ballot at the African Union summit opening Sunday.

The leaders of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) are campaigning for Jonathan to run for the position, which has been occupied by the President of Equatorial Guinea, Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, since 2008.

“Quite a number of African leaders have been approaching him and encouraging him to be the candidate for the next chairman of the African Union,” said the source, who spoke of the condition of anonymity.

“If it is the consensus of (ECOWAS) that he should run for the chairmanship of the African Union, I doubt if he will be able to tell his colleagues that he will not listen to them,” he added.

Diplomatic sources had earlier said Gambian President Yahya Jammeh or Benin’s leader Boni Yayi were likely rivals for the post, which changes every four years and is offered to different regions in Africa on a rotational basis.

However, the source confirmed that Gambia was no longer vying for the spot, which is largely ceremonial, adding that Benin may not run either, leaving Nigeria as the sole candidate for chairman of the union.

ECOWAS leaders are meeting on the margins of the AU summit in Addis Ababa Saturday to decide whether they will formally recommend Jonathan for the spot.

The next chairman will come from the west African region to replace Obiang, whose election was condemned by rights group over his poor rights record at home.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/jonathan-may-run-for-au-chairperson/

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by aljharem(m): 6:52pm On Jan 28, 2012
Nice one. I hope he wins. wink

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by kokoA(m): 6:56pm On Jan 28, 2012
Who cares? Dat post na useles post sef.
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by tetraman(m): 7:49pm On Jan 28, 2012
Goodluck for Governor, Badluck for bayelsa
Goodluck for President, Badluck for Nigeria
Goodluck for African Union Presido, badluck for Africa.
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, spreading the nasty luck around. since the 2000's !
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by talktrue1(m): 8:31pm On Jan 28, 2012
Let the whole africa enjoy his fresh air

1 Like

Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by antartica(m): 8:36pm On Jan 28, 2012
Even when he has not being able to put port harcourt together.Anyway,AU is another basket case,full of unprincipled loafers.
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Anarchy: 8:42pm On Jan 28, 2012
Who will vote for him? angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by LoveKing(m): 8:45pm On Jan 28, 2012
A president who could not secure his country, why bother for Africa?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by anonimi: 8:49pm On Jan 28, 2012
Misplaced priority for the previously shoeless boy from Otuoke angry
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Rhino5dm: 8:55pm On Jan 28, 2012
The current AU chairman is suffering from a chronic renal desease. You know jonathan's Good luck can only come to play when there is a plaque. Retarrdeenho!!. The foool that cant in even control his wife.

Anarchy:

Who will vote for him? angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Fhemmmy: 8:56pm On Jan 28, 2012
This shows how great AU is . . Fresh Air

1 Like

Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by prettyboi1(m): 9:07pm On Jan 28, 2012
I won't even lie,I didn't even read your write up or anyone of the replies by other people but giving my opinion just based on your topic, E GO BE CAPITAL MISTAKE FOR JONATHAN TO BE AU CHAIRMAN.
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Remii(m): 9:11pm On Jan 28, 2012
Rhino.5dm:

The current AU chairman is suffering from a chronic renal desease. [b]You know jonathan's Good luck can only come to play when there is a plaque. [/b]Retarrdeenho!!. The foool that cant in even control his wife.

Alams' impeachment and Yar Adua's transition come to mind. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by solihu(m): 10:35pm On Jan 28, 2012
To be honest, I'd say: Jonathan from his antecedence has proven to be a catastrophe. What makes the smiling, crooked, clueless, kaikai-shacking turned whisky sipping, good-for-nothing, puscy faced, bowler-hat-wearing monkey think he stands a chance undecided
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by violent(m): 11:06pm On Jan 28, 2012
Of what relevance has the AU ever been anyway?
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Bdeal: 11:07pm On Jan 28, 2012
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by dayo23(f): 11:11pm On Jan 28, 2012
GEJ 4 au chairman,watchout 4 boko au, I dey laff ooo
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jan 28, 2012
Bdeal:

GEJ is intellectually shallow and his foreign minister is nothing to write home about.

T.K.O
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Nyntynplus: 11:22pm On Jan 28, 2012
Would that bring the end of boko haram?
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by safarigirl(f): 11:25pm On Jan 28, 2012
Hahahahahahahahaha. This has to be the joke of the millenium. How can a group ☺₣ hunters ask Ǟ blind man to lead the way? Do they think they will escape the wrath of the jungle?

A man who is yet to rid his house of a flu wants to cure an entire community of cancer? Members of the AU must be taking up comedy or must have confused marijuana for tobacco and all smoked some weed and sipped some shekpe. Bunch of confused beings
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by kizito96(m): 11:29pm On Jan 28, 2012
He should make peace at home so that he can be able to make peace in other African Countries having problems. Remember EGYPT. TUNISIA LIBYA and other states in crises.
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by aljharem(m): 11:33pm On Jan 28, 2012
C'mon people. there is nothing wrong in the president going for a post which represent Nigeria interest in Africa.

I really think this is a good move.

As of the problem at him, I believe being In the position of power in africa can really help reduce or tackle the issue of boko haram in neighbouring countires such as cameroun and co
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by MAYOWAAK: 11:33pm On Jan 28, 2012
When the blind leads the blind,their abode is certainly a ditch.
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Zi: 11:34pm On Jan 28, 2012
To think that d leaders of ECOWAS are campaining for him to take the position is laughable.
Africa is really a dark continent!
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by aljharem(m): 11:37pm On Jan 28, 2012
Zi:

To think that d leaders of ECOWAS are campaining for him to take the position is laughable.
Africa is really a dark continent!

who should they campaign for ? Mugabe grin grin grin

I mean this is his chance against boko haram in the continetal stage

Moreover, this would/should not affect his presidential duties
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by slimpoppa(m): 11:41pm On Jan 28, 2012
alj harem:

C'mon people. there is nothing wrong in the president going for a post which represent Nigeria interest in Africa.

As of the problem at him, I believe being In the position of power in africa can really help reduce or tackle the issue of boko haram in neighbouring countires such as cameroun and co

I disagree.
Charity begins at home, not from abroad.
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jan 28, 2012
alj harem:

hey you dont want to follow popular appeal just to be different
or you are just being sarcastic

what nonsense did you write up there? is your head correct?
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by aljharem(m): 11:53pm On Jan 28, 2012
slim poppa:

I disagree.
Charity begins at home, not from abroad.

true talk
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Kennyquestt: 11:59pm On Jan 28, 2012
Your excellency there is alot of work to do at home than chairing d AU
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by Chinedudele(m): 12:05am On Jan 29, 2012
Please dont condemn Jonatan, for i strongly Believe he will act well as the chairman of AU. We nigerians are experts in condemning our leaders. He has done nothing bad only that his policies are hash on us and it is for our own future good. Thanks
Remii:

Alams' impeachment and Yar Adua's transition come to mind. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by wowo2: 12:06am On Jan 29, 2012
He had better. That way when the presidency chair is removed from his backside he still has another. Good luck to him.
Re: Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson by yokiti: 12:19am On Jan 29, 2012
Hope this will make Him more responsible and enable Him transform Nigeria for the best?

Africans sha with their thought process!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anambra Governorship Election: The Power Of Women In Decision Making / Zoning: PDP Ex-chairmen Disown Enugu West Meeting / 2023: Nigerians Must Challenge Leaders Over Public Fund, Peter Obi Fumes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.